• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be buying the next generation of consoles on day 1 this cycle?

Will you be buying the next generation consoles on day 1?

• Total voters
I brought the PS4, Xbox One, and Ouya day one this gen, and it was a very painful experience. While Xbox had a slight good start with games, all three were underwhelming. An issue with PS4/XBOX that really hurt the first years is the very LONG period of time we kept getting Cross-gen games, even on sites like this, it was a major complaint. Took too long, 2015, before the first set of games made directly for next gen, finally widened the gap from last gen consoles consistently.

it didn't help this would be the first time since the NES/7800 were all the new consoles would be severely underpowered despite there being better technology avialable. The dream of 60fps standard gaming died with the Jaguar Apu's and unoptimized engines.

Tons of bugs, lack of features, and a very safe library plagues the first years of all the consoles. The Ouya really never getting anywhere and being a flimsy piece of plastic itself.

I likely won't be buying day 1 this gen, but what about you? Will you be purchasing the Next Xbox and/or PlayStation day 1 on release? Tell your story below in a post as for why or why not.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If PS5 is totally back compat its day one for me.

If not I will end up with both PS5 and NextBox just not right away but PS5 will be first.

Skyr

For sure day 1

I’m an impatient sucker. Getting a new console day 1 is kind of a guilty pleasure for me.

I've pretty much always ended up with at least one of the current "big three" consoles at launch, so theoretically I will again, though that could easily change if I don't like what they're offering this time around(Ala Xbone last time). I'll have to see what they come up with first.

Ozrimandias

I was that kind of guy, day 1 purchase on new consoles.

Not this time, i think.

Only if PS5 will have backwards capability, that is a day 1 buy for me, otherwise, i doubt that i get a new console in at least a year o think

Codes 208

*gets mocked for making too many poll threads*
*makes a poll thread without a poll*
Genius

No but seriously I probably will. While I have mild regrets with the Xbox one at launch, I loved my switch so far. (Ps4 I didn’t buy until a year later)

Nah, don't think so. Unless they actually have some really good, exclusive games to go with it. PS4 was off to a really slow start to be honest and Resogun was about the best they had as far as launch titles go, it took a while before anything really interesting popped up. On top of that, Sony's new censoring policies have made me extremely weary of them and on top top of that I now actually have a very capable gaming laptop for the first time in my life, so whatever comes out on PS5 I most definitely can play on my laptop. They'll have to really work for it next gen.

kiphalfton

If it has BC, it will essentially render the PS4 Pro worthless. If not, it's gonna be a hard sale for me. They would have to have a killer launch, PS5 exclusive, and then even then I'd still probably wait until it dropped to $300 (so a couple years after launch).

cdthree

Hey thanks Afro Republican! 😀 Always smile when I see one of your posts. No day one for me. I'm always 3-4 years behind the current generation. That way I can pick up the slim version or in this case the "pro" version. Also have a ton of games pick from, used games and reviews.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yes, I bought a Switch on launch day.

Otherwise, no. I doubt I'll buy Sony and Microsoft's console at all next gen, so launch day is entirely out of the question.

Barakov

Gold Member
As of right now, probably not. I've gotten way back into gaming on my PC so if I can get games on there, I will. There would have to be some killer exclusives or the systems would have to wow me for me to pick it up day 1.

Mochilador

No way. My backlog is already insane. Buying another console would be too much for me. That's why I haven't bought a Switch yet.

Oh yes now that I’m a working man. I still got PS4 on launch with my part time job savings while in school. The hype is fun.

I’m holding off replaying Uncharted and Horizon in hopes that they will make those native 4K on PS5

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Ask me again when they actually do come out and we know about hardware,price,features (or lack there of) and most importantly their launch games.

Depends on many things - if PS5 is playing enhanced versions of PS4 Pro games then I'd be tempted.

I brought the PS4, Xbox One, and Ouya day one this gen, and it was a very painful experience. While Xbox had a slight good start with games, all three were underwhelming. An issue with PS4/XBOX that really hurt the first years is the very LONG period of time we kept getting Cross-gen games, even on sites like this, it was a major complaint. Took too long, 2015, before the first set of games made directly for next gen, finally widened the gap from last gen consoles consistently.

I'm sorry but Ouya being disaster was visible months ahead of release and everyone had second half of previous gen to know what's the state of Microsoft first party development. Also how exactly was cross gen disappointing when PS4 versions of games offered massive visual quality upgrade over X360 ?

Depends on many things - if PS5 is playing enhanced versions of PS4 Pro games then I'd be tempted.

I'm sorry but Ouya being disaster was visible months ahead of release and everyone had second half of previous gen to know what's the state of Microsoft first party development. Also how exactly was cross gen disappointing when PS4 versions of games offered massive visual quality upgrade over X360 ?

Huh? I said the Xbox had the advantage in games at the start of the gen, and according to users and critics, it did. At first. But was still not that good, so all 3 imo, did not have must have games generally.

kunonabi

I'm already on holding off for a Switch revision, I'm no longer buying Sony platforms, and I can't see myself bothering with an Xbox unless they start getting legit Japanese 3rd party support so it's a waiting game for me

Shifty

tenor.gif

Absolutely not. Between price drops, mid-gen hardware refreshes, and game libraries starting out barren and improving over time I'm going to be waiting this one out for quite a while.

Unless there's a sufficiently compelling exclusive somewhere in the mix and then maybe we'll see.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm already on holding off for a Switch revision, I'm no longer buying Sony platforms, and I can't see myself bothering with an Xbox unless they start getting legit Japanese 3rd party support so it's a waiting game for me
Why not just go full on PC for next gen? PC getting nice amount of 3rd party Japanese games that Xbox is not getting.

zenspider

Nope.
This is finally the gen I don't see the leap being substantial enough to keep on top of. Would rather save up for a decent 4K/ HDR setup and get through my backlogs.

Happy to be wrong, but I truly doubt it.

I did for the PS4 and I will fully admit for a couple years it was a stupid idea, but you know what, I'm gonna do it again for the PS5. Why the heck not, I'm gonna get one eventually anyway and whatever enjoyment I do get out of it for those first years will be worth more than what the bank would give me.

I am definitely going to take a wait and see for buying a second one for the gf though, especially considering the possibility of a Pro again. Though if there are some amazing coop games early on I'll probably cave anyway lol

molasar

Banned
No, unless one of them releases an exclusive game (not coming to PC) which is a system seller and has an unmatched wow factor on the day 1.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Why not just go full on PC for next gen? PC getting nice amount of 3rd party Japanese games that Xbox is not getting.

My brand new laptop has died twice in 2 months with me barely using it. I'm not investing in PC gaming anytime soon.

Even if my laptop wasn't so shitty I still hate PC gaming anyway.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Absolutely not. Between price drops, mid-gen hardware refreshes, and game libraries starting out barren and improving over time I'm going to be waiting this one out for quite a while
This. I've never bought a console day one, usually wait a year or two until there's half a dozen games I want to play (and the price has dropped too).

Petrae

Nope. I’m all done with consoles after this generation ends. I refuse to tolerate any more of the bullshit, and will focus on retro gaming exclusively.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Probably, as long as my wallet and/or wife says it's okay.

I spend about 30 hours a week typically gaming, so I consider console hardware purchases to typically be a pretty solid entertainment investment.

Petrae

Whao.

Any particular reason why?

It’s all just come to a head.

— I’m sick of waiting 30+ minutes to start playing a new game once I put it into my console.

— I’m sick of turning my console on and waiting for firmware updates before I can use it.

— I’m sick of non-stop, in-my-face begging to buy DLC.

— I used to buy games on Day One, but with more publishers telling me that $60 isn’t enough, and that I need to pay $80+ to buy it on Day One, publishers have pushed me away entirely. They can go fuck themselves.

— I’m sick of the glut of open-world snoozefests and multiplayer shit that has taken over. I prefer linear, focused, solo games... and those are a dying breed, if not on a respirator already.

— Sports games, which are some of my favorites, have devolved into soulless simulations. More simple and accessible sports games are also all but dead. The Madden Machine has ruined video game football, in my view. It’s a sleepwalk every fucking year, except for that Ultimate Team crap.

Yup. After 30 years of staying current with consoles, the industry has finally driven me away. I find it to largely be a cesspool of greed and bullshit. I caved with the PS4 and XBO, but I’ve had enough. Once this generation ends, and I’m faced with upgrading or moving on, I’m finished with modern consoles.

Skyfox

Sony and Microsoft are apparently both trying the mobile model with more frequent hardware updates. I already have a Pro and One X and I’m still waiting for the software to catch up so no, I won’t be there day one.

I’m not upgrading my TV either. Nor my switch.

To be honest I think all three platforms are lacking in games that make the most of the hardware (there are a few stellar exceptions thankfully).

Lightsbane

I don't get these options. I'll be skipping the next gen of consoles, but I'm not a PC/Phone gamer.

The problem is that there are like 300 games that I still have to buy for the PS4, Vita TV and 3DS. It's insane.
I'll tell you what, I didn't run into this issue during my Saturn days...

No. I learned from my experiences with the Wii U not to get a console so soon after its launch. I'll wait at least a little over a year, see if there's any significantly good games for either of them, and then make my buying decisions then.

Yes. PS5 will likely improve graphics / performance of games that I already have on PS4 , including VR, so that's a big reason to jump in day one.

LOLCats

Banned
its better to wait and catch a price drop or sale.

I waited on PS4 and was happy i did. I got an XB1 day one and that was a pile of regret.

Top Bottom