• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be buying the next generation of consoles on day 1 this cycle?

Will you be buying the next generation consoles on day 1?

• Total voters

Mr Hyde

I´ve only bought one console at launch and that was the Dreamcast and I tend to keep it that way.

For the next generation, there is a couple of key things that has me signed up on the wait and see-approach.

Firstly, I always buy 1 or 2 year in because the games releasing on launch tend to suck ass. And in this day and age when a game takes a couple of hundred years to make I don´t see any point in day 1 buys since the generation doesn´t start before maybe 2 or 3 years in. I´m perfectly happy with cross-gen games that will inevitably take place yet again.

Secondly, the PS4 has still an incredible amount of momentum with several high profile games releasing this year and maybe next. It also has an impressive library of games as a whole, many of which I have yet to discover. As it feels right now, PS4 still has 3-4 years left in it for me.

Thirdly, the mid gen refresh that happened will probably happen again. I didn´t jump the gun because I don´t want to waste money on a another console when I already have one that is fully functional and plays all the games that I want without any compromises. It just seems dumb. So this time around I can wait for Sony to do a mid gen refresh of the PS5 and then buy that.

Forthly, my console of choice has to be backwards compat otherwise I don´t think I will bother, at least not until I feel I´m done with this generation. I´m getting tired of buying new hardware, gather a new collection of games and pack up the old collection of games in the drawer. A new generation also resets everything with features and what not gone from the face of the earth. The consoles are always bare bones when they are released.

Also, no fucking built in VR.

Last edited:

dottme

We need an option for people who are still waiting for more details.
For the moment, I don’t know.

Dargor

No, buying consoles at launch here where I live is only for super rich people, they overprice them so much its insane.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No option for buying 1 of the 2 consoles on day one? There's no way I'm buying both consoles on day 1.

I'm thinking of skipping this time 'round. But who knows, I'm open to having my mind changed. Maybe over the years they'll build a great library of exclusive games that I can't ignore. I kinda doubt it though.

Pimpbaa

I always take a wait and see approach with consoles. But I will most likely get the next Playstation the same year it is released. Mostly due to me being happy with what Sony has done this gen in regards to exclusives plus the amount of Japanese games.

Nope, I'm going to get it two or three years into the gen.

Just like this gen, where I didnt get an Xbox until 2016. Most of the games I wanted prior to that year were crossgen anyways, and I dont see that changing for the first couple years of next gen.

Bryank75

Banned
PlayStation 5 , day 1. I know they will continue to deliver the type of games I love... really hyped for GoT, Horizon 2, GOW2, some great Japanese exclusives and a From Software exclusive. I also really want a full Gran Turismo.
You know Europe and the rest of the world outside north America are going to be in the PlayStation ecosystem anyway, so theres zero risk.

Dacon

Banned
I never do, mostly because I rarely have the surplus of cash to spare on an item as expensive as a game console.

HeresJohnny

I’m on board for the PS5 assuming they don’t get stupid with the price; but I’ll be taking a long wait and see approach with the Xbox.

I’ll most likely take a wait and see approach. Too much going on this generation that makes me concerned about next generation. I’ll probably end up with one or maybe even two consoles again for next generation IF they differentiate themselves from each other, but I’m definitely skeptical about the next generation at this point. The launch games and the first 12 months of games will really have to captivate me as well.

Lino

Neo Member
I was actually thinking of just switching over to PC, after gaming for a while on a PC at 60 fps I just can't go back to 30 fps

The Mods the free online and all the free pc games and the general openness of the platform are just too good to give up on

Gander

Banned
I'm gonna be honest for me to move on to a new console I'm going to have see graphics in gaming that I've really never seen before. I'm mean a real jump in technology.

Mr.Bond

As long as they are not streaming-only machines i will, i have been a gamer since the colecovision days and despite all the bullcrap i still
love the hobby.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
As always, everything comes down to software, so let's see what PS5 and Xbox4 have to offer. That said, I see no reason why these "next generation" consoles should even exist. Who is unhappy with today's videogames? Who looks at Spider-Man or God of War or Call of Duty and complains about the graphics?

Again, it's far too soon to make any predictions, and everything comes down to hit videogames that really sell the new systems. Perhaps 4K or VR will make a big leap forward, or perhaps some new idea will be introduced that shakes things up, like the DS touchscreen or Wii remote.

Until then, I highly recommend that everybody play the videogames they already have in the here and now, instead of dreaming of what might appear in the future.

Rayderism

The ONLY console I ever bought day1 was a PS1. Every other console I've bought was months or even years later. It will be weeks or months before I get PS5.....maybe even longer if no BC.

Last edited:

CatCouch

If Sony doesn't abandon Japanese games and still has games like Gravity Rush I may look into them but I think I'm going Switch and Xbox next gen. Sony's censorship policies have deflated my enthusiasm for a new PlayStation.

I waited nearly a year before buying a Switch to see if Nintendo was going to keep censoring games and they really surprised me so it's not like Sony can't change before next gen.

Without the Japanese games almost all games I play are multi-platform (quite a few of the Japanese games are, too, actually). I only need one system to play almost all the big games coming out now like Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts III and Rage 2 and I suspect it won't be much different next gen.

For about 3 years, all I had on PS4 was inFamous SS and Ground Zeroes.

If it's backwards compatible and upgrades old games, that certainly makes early adoption attractive. But otherwise it's usually pretty easy to wait. Sony rarely have a ton in the first year. Sometimes even the first two years.

Xbox, I may not get at all. Just have to see how it looks. It would be after some price cuts likely.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If there is even one game that interest me I'll be there day one.

That magic to take the day off, head to the electronics store early and pick the console up to go home and game never looses it's magic.

sol_bad

I usually buy the Playstations day 1, at least I have since PS2. I'm not liking Sony's current approach to censorship and backwards compatability though. I also dont like that the PS4 is not a UHD player.

If they make positive steps in these areas I'll dive in for day 1. Hell, my wait and see approach will probably break if they announce TLOU2 for simultaneous release on PS4/PS5.

bosnianpie

Obviously depends on what they're going to show. If they try some stunt where I as a consumer get screwed over I simply won't buy it at all. There's much talk about streaming and subscription models for instance, where you lose control over your software catalogue. Implementing something like that would be a dealbreaker for me. If they show a traditional console, with a consumer friendly attitude I will be onboard and buy PS5 day one.

sol_bad

I’m loving how people are so much in that they say they are buying a PS or an Xbox day one no matter what.

No specs, no games, no price.

No matter what I’m in, all this show me the games and whatnot is complete BS when it all boils down.

Not really.

There are people that love Halo, Forza and Gears of War. So they'll be there day one to play those sequels along with the new games from the new acquired studios.

There are people that love Uncharted, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Detroit Become Human, Gran Turismo, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank Bloodbourne and well, the list goes on. People will be there day 1 to get sequels to those games and support those developers.

Ultimately, tech hardware doesn't matter, just as long as the games are provided.

I have only ever done day one for Switch and Vita. A few months later for PS4 and Wii and a year later for Gamecube/PS2.

I am going to wait this time until it gets some decent games I look forwwrd to.

SoulUnison

Banned
Nah. Last generation was the first one I wasn't Day 1 for, and this generation I waited until the Ps4 Pro, still haven't been convinced by the Switch, and have absolutely no interest in XBox products.

Last edited:

Hudo

No, not anymore. Especially after Microsoft and Sony are doing this half-step "Pro-Version" thing for their consoles now. I also want to wait for reviews on build quality of the next Sony hardware this time.

I'm mainly a PC and Switch player nowadays (again) anyway, so it's not like I'm losing out.

Razzorn34

If there is games I want, sure. That hasn't been the case the last two generations of PS/Xbox for me though, and I'm pretty hardcore. Launches are generally too sparse to warrant buying anything in the first year. There might be like 1 game I want in that time, which isn't worth a $400+ console.

That said, I'm there day 1 for every Nintendo console. Mostly because there is a game I want, but the hardware isn't as crazy expensive.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
It depends. I have no interest in VR, ergo any shoehorned VR or cameras or whatever in the package (aka content I'm forced to pay for which I don't want nor will ever use) is immediately a no-go. I was mostly an Xbox 360 player last gen but when Microsoft forced Kinect into their One at launch, I noped out. I didn't get the ps3 at launch either because it was overpriced & basically not value for money (when I did get the ps3 slim a few years later, it was value for money). I got the ps4 at launch because everything was "perfect" to an extent, i.e. decent specs, decent price & Killzone Shadow Fall at launch.

The big question mark for these next gen consoles is the 4K focus, i.e. I don't have a 4K TV yet (I'm still using a 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma, which has great colors & blacks), so any "this is much better in 4K!" advertising will also make me hold back from day one... unless there's a new Killzone like last time (unlikely).

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Nah PC has all my favorite games. (mainly Simulation, racing, Mechwarrior, Indies)

Orpheum

Bought the PS4 day one, will most likely buy the PS5 day one with my buddy again. Both of us opening them up at his house like it's christmas and proceed to play the entire day.

squallheart

I always do but this time I'll be waiting. I just purchased ps4 pro which hasn't been set up and using regular ps4 lol.

Top Bottom