• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be buying the next generation of consoles on day 1 this cycle?

Will you be buying the next generation consoles on day 1?

• Total voters

TeamGhobad

Banned
depends on the games if there aren't any launch games im interested in i will wait. must note that this will be a very expensive console generation cause many will have to update to 4k hdr TVs

Pantz

Gold Member
Depends if they have good backwards compatibility or not. If they do then it's an easy Day 1 upgrade.

Dontero

Banned
Considering half of PS4 life until now was remaster after remaster and nothing to play.

No i won't be buying day one. In fact i don't think i will be buying at all consoles.
I bought ps4 after 3 years to play bloodborne, nier and persona and mhw and when i finished them i realized there is nothing interesting anymore. Everything i want to play is on PC usually in much better version.

PC is a way to go for me. Days of console exclusives are long dead and those exlusives who are left barely warrant having console for day to day gaming. Just buy console after 2-3 years finish all exclusives you want in 4-5months and sell it.

TwiztidElf

Sony and Nintendo ones? Yes, absolutely.
Microsoft? Eh, I'll wait until there's an exclusive I want to play. I won't hold my breath.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Depends on the launch games, of course. If there's something good for PS5, and it's got BC from the start (as you'd assume it must) then definitely, can't wait to chuck out my Pro with its jet engine fan.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Day one on Team Xbox. I’m satisfied now, and unless Microsoft does something stupid like last E3 then I don’t see why I shouldn’t jump on day one

cireza

Banned
I already have a next-gen console : the Xbox One X. I believe that every game announced for Scarlet will also launch on One X.

Always buy Nintendo hardware day-one if you don't want to end-up later with a lower quality product, as they reduce the quality of the materials after launch.

NahaNago

I'm still undecided. I'm kinda not that hyped for the console but I love the drama and excitement surrounding it. I want to say no simply because I will probably have a bunch of games I haven't finished from this gen.

PseudoViper

I honestly think this will be my last generation of gaming on a console as far as PlayStation and Xbox goes.

I have a gaming PC already and have been slowly merging over.

It always only depends if said console has an exclusive that I can't live without trying.

Sadly there's only very few of these during all console generation worth playing at all, so I end up buying many overrated games and only playing them for an hour or so before cringing surprised how they can be rated so highly.

Ten_Fold

I’m really excited too see what new games and launch games are going to come out for the ps4/Xbox that’s how I’ll make my decision. I feel like I’m slowly getting more into playing on steam,also I generally buy day one, I got the xbox360 day one and the wii day one, didn’t get a ps3 till like 09 but got the ps4 day one along with the switch day one so it just depends on the launch games and what’s going to come.

Last edited:
I’m really excited too see what new games and launch games are going to come out for the ps4/Xbox that’s how I’ll make my decision. I feel like I’m slowly getting more into playing on steam,also I generally buy day one, I got the xbox360 day one and the wii day one, didn’t get a ps3 till like 09 but got the ps4 day one along with the switch day one so it just depends on the launch games and what’s going to come.
Stellaris !

I'll wait. The only console I bought on release day was the PS4 and while I enjoyed it, I had to re-connect my old PS3 just to play (because "PS4 had no games") and I had to wait even more to enjoy the features that every update brought. I'll stick to my old rule of buying a fat version of a console when the slim model gets released. Also, I want to see what Microsoft has in store. I like what Phil Spencer has done with the brand, but the Xbox One was cutsized from the start by Don Mattick's vision, so while the 'Xbox' brand has potential, its current console (sans X) is limiting it.

I want to see how Sony and Microsoft play their cards before deciding what console to buy. Assuming I'm buying one in the end, because I'm happy with my current PC build too.

Leonidas

Doubt it. Too big of a current gen backlog. And it just doesn't make sense to spend another $400/$500 for yet another closed box using components derived from PC just to play a few console exclusives.

I'd get more out of a GPU upgrade for PC.

Last edited:
ya but i think most would want to enjoy "real" nex gen and go 4k. its no different than last gen when most people went crt to HD tv. it will be a cheaper transition this time though u can get something decent for about 1k in 2020.

Last gen was almost 9 years before the successors came out, and HD TV's were already on the market the gen before, so within those 9 years the HDTV prices dropped like a rock and were wide spread by 2010, also helps that, at least in the US, they forced analog off and MADE people get HDTV or get an expensive converter box.

4k drop has been slow and only was recently a thing this gen in terms of pricing dropping and becoming more affordable. This will be the gen where 4K will actually start getting more adoption with cheaper prices, outside those TV's with dolby Vision version 800 or whatever.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Got every PlayStation console day 1. PlayStation 5 will be no exception.

This will be my first generation where consoles aren't my main platform anymore. I could use that money towards upgrading my PC but there is no way I'm ready to give up my PlayStation. Ditching Xbox was super easy because I can just play the games on my PC with better graphics/performance :) I might sound like a Sony Fanboi but really I just have zero reason to buy an Xbox again.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I will because I have the money aside for it since mid 2017, and because, judging by Ps4 launch, if I don't pre order and get one at launch I will have to wait 2 or 3 months before stores have it in stock again. The waiting lists in every store were huge!

Wunray

No, I always wait even with the switch I waited until december 2017. There aren't many must haves at launch anyways.

Melon Husk

I've always gone for the slim version. Smaller, quieter, up to half the price, and comes an expansive software library. I only buy consoles for the exclusives anyway. I mainly use a PC, so waiting is not an issue.

NickFire

I am not voting yes because the yes option applies to people buying both systems at launch. But I am virtually certain to buy one of the two at launch.

Gonna wait a year or so for ps5...Sony’s track record for the first 2 years of good games on new consoles has been pretty sparse so waiting till year 2 might be a better option

Xbox..is an interesting one...we are probably gonna see quite a lot of stuff early on judging by all the shit they have been buying

Gonna wait a year or so for ps5...Sony’s track record for the first 2 years of good games on new consoles has been pretty sparse so waiting till year 2 might be a better option

Xbox..is an interesting one...we are probably gonna see quite a lot of stuff early on judging by all the shit they have been buying

Well MS always has a strong start, but there's usually been some issue that hurt them hardware wise at the start as well. Excluding the first Xbox. Sure Xbox one didn't have RROD but it was weaker and cost $500, and apparently till this day even with new models online is required to activate the console. or at least that's what I read on here.

Hopefully both ave a strong start this gen, but outside some crazy features and games I likely will be skipping launch this time. PS4/XBO launch was very poor.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Like many others -- if it has full back compat, yeah, day 1.

Otherwise I'll prolly go xbox first. I've switched priority after the whole cross-play fortnite shenanigans. As long as MS continues to be more consumer friendly, I'll continue to support them over Sony.

sabinfire

Neo Member
Probably not. I have a gaming PC as well as a massive backlog across all current consoles. I don't really need a new expensive system with hardly any games.

Graven

No, low on cash, and also with my backlog, it would be silly,

I feel that the start of a new gen is a good time to go for backlog, given that the systems will still have a modest library and the devs will still be grasping the new tech.

AhmedGo

Neo Member
I used to buy consoles on day 1, but i don't think i'll do the same next gen, i have a big backlog and i can wait until a ps5 Pro

Top Bottom