• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be joining PC gaming?

Will PC gaming take over next generation now that Sony might release some games there?

• 1. I'm getting a PS5?

Votes: 87 48.6%
  • 2. I'm getting a Series X

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • 3. I will get a PC

Votes: 63 35.2%

• Total voters

Gargus

Banned
Playstation and pc are my primary sources for gaming.

I use my pc for games that arent on playstation I want to play.

Mahadev

This generation will probably be the last one I buy a console, I'm done with this bullshit. Let's put this into perspective shall we?

1) Pay to play online for services worse than steam's

2) Online store monopoly which means even the same games often cost A LOT more than on steam and other competing PC stores (even within the steam ecosystem since stores selling steam codes are allowed to compete with it)

3) Mass censorship of content from Sony and other companies to appease various nutjob groups

4) Benefits of consoles slowly but steadily dissipating, far less exclusives on consoles, devs often having to develop for multiple hardware setups which means the games aren't as optimized for consoles anymore

Yeap, I think I'm done with this shit. You think you're paying less for consoles but if you play online and buy more than a few games per year PC gaming is more value for money assuming of course you don't waste money on ridiculously expensive graphics cards to make nvidia filthy rich. It sucks for me because I'm kind of bad at PC gaming given that I've been a console player all by life but the truth is the truth so I won't let these companies screw me over.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No I won't. Too much time is spend on tweaking, too little on actually gaming. I was always searching for optimal settings, GFX tweaks, fiddling with FPS limiters (RIvatuner), external software, mods, OC-ind my GPU, CPU and RAM.... therefor never really got into the games themselves.

Then I knew: I'm too finicky to be a full-on PC gamer :goog_confounded:
You actually just helped me realize that consoles would be for the best

I already mess with my picture settings too much 😃

FeldMonster

I will never game on PC. Xbox for me.

Computers are for browsing, email, word processing, Excel, etc.

I want to use a controller while comfortable on my couch playing in 4K HDR on a massive screen instead of mouse and keyboard, sitting at a desk, on a tiny 1080P monitor.

And also not have to troubleshoot every game, deal with Steam and its garbage, have to play with cheaters online with aimbots, and actually have enough players online to play with.

Siri

Banned
Computers are for browsing, email, word processing, Excel, etc. I want to use a controller while comfortable on my couch playing in 4K HDR on a massive screen instead of mouse and keyboard, sitting at a desk, on a tiny 1080P monitor.

Computers can also be purely for entertainment, just like consoles.

This year I bought a liquid cooled Bolt-X from Digital Storm. It has a 9900k cpu and an RTX 2080ti. The day it arrived was the most exciting day of 2019 for me. Some people spend thousands of dollars on cars or vacations - me, I cannot be happier spending money on pc hardware. Is it really for other people to tell me how I should spend my hard earned money? Because that’s what I’m seeing in this thread.

Also, I use my Elite controller (which I love) for 99% of my games. I game on an 55 inch LG C9, an OLED panel at 4K. I watch Netflix and AppleTV shows on this display.

Not to be too argumentative here, but I love gaming - this is my one and only hobby - and it’s not a particularly nice feeling when someone else tells you HOW you should be doing it.

Ar¢tos

PS5 + Sexbox.
I don't do PC gaming.
Pcs are too fussy and pc gaming is still very Windows oriented.
My love for Windows died when pos Vista was launched and I discovered Linux.

Old Retro

PC gaming to me is like a car company who's vehicles I would never drive. At this point in my life, why bother switching.

I tried gaming on Steam once. Pain in the ass.

eot

Banned
I only bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne, so if there's not PS5 exclusive From game I wouldn't buy a box I think

Azzurri

PC Gamer 4 lyfe, brah.

TBH, I've been a PC gamer since I was like 6 or 7.

I use to be big into Consoles too along with my trusty gaming PC, but this past generation (PS4&X1) I literally have 30hrs total in on this generation. I have a PS4, but I NEVER play it and the X1 I never picked up.
This generation for me has been so MEH, unlike the Ps3 and X360 gen were I was an Achievement whore and played everything.

yessir. no consoles for me anymore, didn't get a ps4, won't get a ps5. will just build a PC

actually I will buy a ps2 but no new consoles is what I mean

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I will play the exclusives, but even then I tend to wait for possible console releases. The death of physical games on the platform (for a good portion of its titles at the very least) killed almost all of my interest. I like to own my games and digital is nothing more than a prolonged rental. Sure, some can be said for certain physical games these days - but they are still very much in the minority.

Humdinger

What's a "console experience"?

Easy and simple. No research, shopping around, thinking, or effort required. That is, I don't have to figure out what sort of PC gaming machine I need (which components, which company, etc.). I'm not a tech guy, so all of that talk is Greek to me. I don't have to mess with configurations and words whose meaning I don't even know. I don't have to think about which part to upgrade when. I don't have to shop around for the best unit, assuming I can even figure out what that is. I don't have to figure out how to wire it up and fit it under my TV.

I just buy a console, buy a game, and play. Nice and simple. It's how I've played for 20 years. I don't see any need to change. It works for me.

Last edited:
I own a PC, Switch X1X and PS4 Pro

I’ll keep my PC and Switch, I’ll also own PS5 and XSX

This is where I'm at. I have two compact HTPCs in my living room along with all my consoles (X1X, X360, PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch).

This poll needs a few more options. I'll be getting a XSX and PS5 for sure. Not a matter of if but when. I usually can't resist and have to get new stuff at launch, but my backlog on all systems is so ridiculous I could actually see myself waiting a year or two on one or both of the new systems until there's a special edition I like or "slim" update.... or a bundle with included exclusives, etc.... I dunno tho the pull of shiny new consoles at launch is strong with me. And with both the XSX and PS5 presumably offering the ability to play prior Gen games uprezzed with better framerates, it'll be highly tempting even if there aren't many/any new exclusives I care about. We shall see.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This is where I'm at. I have two compact HTPCs in my living room along with all my consoles (X1X, X360, PS4 Pro, PS3, Switch).

This poll needs a few more options. I'll be getting a XSX and PS5 for sure. Not a matter of if but when. I usually can't resist and have to get new stuff at launch, but my backlog on all systems is so ridiculous I could actually see myself waiting a year or two on one or both of the new systems until there's a special edition I like or "slim" update.... or a bundle with included exclusives, etc.... I dunno tho the pull of shiny new consoles at launch is strong with me. And with both the XSX and PS5 presumably offering the ability to play prior Gen games uprezzed with better framerates, it'll be highly tempting even if there aren't many/any new exclusives I care about. We shall see.
I love how so many quality games released this generation. I have a backlog too on the PS4 and Xbox One and I don't even own a Switch. I also have over 20 games that still need to buy that I'm interested in before the new consoles hit lol

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
and it’s not a particularly nice feeling when someone else tells you HOW you should be doing it.

Well that works both ways so hopefully we'll never have to hear about 60FPS, "PC Master Race", free online, etc., etc., any more then :pie_thinking:

Rickenbacker

Neo Member
Easy and simple. No research, shopping around, thinking, or effort required. That is, I don't have to figure out what sort of PC gaming machine I need (which components, which company, etc.). I'm not a tech guy, so all of that talk is Greek to me. I don't have to mess with configurations and words whose meaning I don't even know. I don't have to think about which part to upgrade when. I don't have to shop around for the best unit, assuming I can even figure out what that is. I don't have to figure out how to wire it up and fit it under my TV.

I just buy a console, buy a game, and play. Nice and simple. It's how I've played for 20 years. I don't see any need to change. It works for me.
You can't see any need to change because the human eye can only see 30fps

LostDonkey

i have a PC and will still keep playing games on it but i'm not going to be spending as much on it anymore. £750 for a gpu? £480 for a CPU? £300 for RAM? £380 for an SSD? £390 for a motherboard? ...shits expensive yo.

i'm just gonna get a next gen console/new TV this year and that'll be me sorted for the next 6-7 years.

it's fucking ridiculous.

I built my current rig circa 2016 and i haven't spent a penny on it since. seems prices just rocketed soon after I built.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can't see any need to change because the human eye can only see 30fps
Play something like Bayonetta and then play game like Order 1886, there is a huuuuge difference between game is running 60FPS and 30FPS. I don't consider 30FPS "unplayable" but you can easily tell the difference. Heck in Yakuza 0 the game itself running 60FPS but the cutscenes runs at 30, which even someone like me who is not that sensitive to FPS can easily tell the difference.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
People spending close to full price on a digital game you can't sell, trade, give away & forced to keep forever is just lunacy too me. GOG makes it a little easier since it is DRM free but for everything else......NOPE.

Buying a plastic disk is lunacy. We’re talking about bits and bytes.

Buying a plastic disk is lunacy. We’re talking about bits and bytes.

I like to have control over the 'bits & bytes' I pay for as opposed to being dictated by some other entity via DRM.

It's called being a consumer that puts their own self interest in front of a corporation. Try it, you might actually like it!

Jayjayhd34

I already have gaming pc i7 9700k rtx2080 16gb ram. I also own a switch ps4 Pro xbox one x.

I won't be getting SeX as there's no exclusives.

if Sony started releasing games for pc day one, then I would have no reason to buy that either but can't see that happening.

Ascend to Godhood

a47c6b3425a76a7d0001064ebf601b44.jpg
Why is his body designed like a vagina?

Makariel

I have a PC since the 90ies, see no reason to change now.

That said, most of my gaming I currently do on PSVR. My WMR headset for PC isn't as comfortable as the PSVR and despite the higher resolution, the actual picture quality is worse. The PSVR just works better overall, even though the move controllers occasionally act up, but a restart usually solves that. If I get a PS5 depends on the VR support. Xbox is not on my shopping list since it doesn't have VR and I can't think of a single game that would make me consider an X series Xbox X.

No. I can't join something I'm already part of. It's fucking glorious and I'm never looking back. Consoles were great when I was a kid, didn't have my own money, and they were actually tangibly different to PCs in terms of hardware. Now I'm an adult, I have a job, money and consoles are basically just shit locked down PC hardware.

Oh...and fuck paying for online. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

GamingKaiju

I have a gaming PC that will probably take me through most of next gen but there are games I would like to play that won’t come to PC so I’ll probably pick up a PS5 at some point.

Rickenbacker

Neo Member
Play something like Bayonetta and then play game like Order 1886, there is a huuuuge difference between game is running 60FPS and 30FPS. I don't consider 30FPS "unplayable" but you can easily tell the difference. Heck in Yakuza 0 the game itself running 60FPS but the cutscenes runs at 30, which even someone like me who is not that sensitive to FPS can easily tell the difference.
I know that. I was just mocking the reason why someone couldn't "see" the reason to upgrade to a pc. Geez

Housh

I'm waiting to see what the RTX 3000 series cards are all about before I upgrade my 1060 6GB rig.

However, I'm leaning towards PS5 and a nice OLED HDR 4K.

GV82

I’m seriously considering do I want to spend £500 each for two consoles or do I want to wait to see exactly if there is any truth to the Last of us 2 coming to p.c as well as others rumours etc and just go fuck it and the £1000 I’d spend on two consoles, just spend on a p.c especially if they pull the pro models on us again mid Gen.

I’m sure I could get something decent for £800 and have £200 spare for games right?

This upcoming Gen I am really torn, it’s either that or wait until they hit £249 each in 2023/24.

Dargor

If every PS exclusive starts hitting the pc 1, 2 or even 3 years after its launch, then its not that I'll join pc gaming, I'll just leave console gaming.

I always played a Playstation and pc, always owned a playstation console ever since the ps1. This generation is gonna be insteresting in many ways.

That all being said, I'll only buy ps games on pc if they come to steam, gog, epic or ps store and I just have to buy to play them, even if they are online games. If they come with some PS+ idea on pc, I'll just stop giving them money all together.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom