• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you buy a next generation consoles if they cost over $500?

For the first full year, would you buy a next gen consoles if price is over $500?

• Total voters
You're lucky that you have no interest in most of the Sony exclusives. Their lineup is pretty varied imo, especially VR. PSVR absolutely demolishes the Xbox One's exclusives imo. It's not even close and PSVR came out 2 years after Xbox One.

I think you misread something. I'm not comparing the Xbone to PSVR. I'm comparing upgrading my PC vs buying a couple new consoles for over $600 CDN each. I'm not interested in VR either outside racing game applications but if I were, would you say PSVR is superior to the available PC VR solutions? Specifically, does PSVR have better VR support for racing games than the solutions available on PC? I admit I would like to play Astrobot, but I'm not buying PSVR and a PS4 for a 10 hour long game..

Why spend $500 upgrading a PC when in two years it’ll be weak?

I'll turn that one back on you. Why spend $500+ on a console when it will be weak from day one and be filled with deadly blue lasers? :messenger_blowing_kiss:

usM5KV0.png
/s

Assuming you were genuinely curious and not just being sarcastic, enjoy this wall of text.
Building and modifying a PC is a hobby in and of itself for starters. I'm not actually here to shit on consoles, I've owned just about every console since the NES came out. They used to be entirely unique machines that were entirely removed from PCs. Even as the games became more similar across the platforms consoles have always been a great, simple solution for gaming on a budget. Lower cost of entry with a set life-span has always been the appeal. That's changing though with the introduction of pricier mid-cycle consoles. If the consoles need a $500-$600 CDN upgrade every few years to get the best experience, I may as well just upgrade the PC and have an even better one. As PC and consoles start to become more similar I'm going with the better, more capable overall platform. Since I primarily play racing games, the PC is the best platform for that and the fact that I needed the PC regardless makes the choice even easier.

As for being weak, I built this PC in 2015 for a bit over $2.5K CDN which is on the high side for a gaming PC, but I built it to be relatively future-proof. i7 6700k OC'ed to 5.0Ghz, an Asus 980ti Matrix, 32GB 3200 DDR4, NVMe main and SSD secondary drives, liquid cooled, 1200W PSU. I needed a new PC regardless as my old pre-fab PC was dying and the cost of building a gaming PC vs a not-as -capable pre-fab media PC wasn't that high. The end product is significantly more capable than the current 1.5 consoles are and certainly more versatile outside gaming. I skipped on the PS4/Pro ($400/$500 CDN) and the X ($600 CDN). Altogether I saved over $1500 on consoles which was more than a buying a 1080ti and another SSD. It's considerably more powerful than the Pro/X and runs almost anything at 4K/60/max settings. As it stands I have faith it will still be more capable than the next consoles when they launch too. Right or wrong I have another $1200+ CDN to put into the PC if I skip them again to widen the gap.

It's all personal preference though, nothing more. If someone prefers to play on a console and doesn't see the same value in a PC as I do more power to them. I don't assume everyone will agree with everything I say or every opinion I have.

What's wrong with taking a wait and see approach to the new consoles anyways? I can wait a few years and buy the better of the two, or perhaps both will suck. Maybe one of the two eats shit out of the gate like last time. I already have enough games to play between PC and Switch in the meantime so why pull the trigger on a console that I'll rarely use other than the odd exclusive? I'll continue getting multi-plats on PC. As every new Xbox exclusive is going to be included on Gamepass and will likely be on PC going forward I feel I have that covered too. So all I'm missing so far this gen is a handful of exclusives from one platform making up about 200 hours of play time between them all without any real multiplayer games in the mix. I have individual games on PC and Switch with more hours than that into them. My biggest miss this gen was Gran Turismo Sport as it's the first GT I missed out on.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Day 1 whatever Playstation puts out. They haven't disappointed me once console wise.
PS1, 2, PSP, 3, Vita, 4. They were all incredible.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My PC wasn't even that expensive, but I feel like if I bought the rumored Navi 10 "RX 3080" later this year for the rumored $250-300 and overclocked it, I'd basically have a next-gen console a year ahead of time(Ryzen 1600 @ 4GHz, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, 3TB HDD). I suppose that influences my desire for more affordable consoles. I can understand if you didn't have a decent PC and use consoles primarily you might want more expensive units.

I feel like if I bought the rumored Navi 10 "RX 3080" later this year for the rumored $250-300 and overclocked it, I'd basically have a next-gen console a year ahead of time(Ryzen 1600 @ 4GHz, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, 3TB HDD).

You could wait for high-end 18TF Navi20 16GB HBM2/3 @ 1 TB/s, Zen3 16 core, and something like 32GB DDR5 system ram, and PCI-E 4.0 flash storage, if AMD prices are competitive you could have a system like that at or abit after PS5 releases. No worries about how much TF and what else numbers they will give you, you decide!

Romulus

I think you misread something. I'm not comparing the Xbone to PSVR. I'm comparing upgrading my PC vs buying a couple new consoles for over $600 CDN each. I'm not interested in VR either outside racing game applications but if I were, would you say PSVR is superior to the available PC VR solutions? Specifically, does PSVR have better VR support for racing games than the solutions available on PC? I admit I would like to play Astrobot, but I'm not buying PSVR and a PS4 for a 10 hour long game..

I was just agreeing on Xbox not being a viable option for PC gamers these days too, adding to that VR on console. Sony is the only one heading in that direction with VR, and they're getting some huge VR exclusives, Gran Turismo will most certainly happen next gen. They already tried project cars, but there wasn't enough power. I suspect they'll have several more with the added power.

Anyway, you already know PSVR doesn't have the same level of racers PC does, even people with almost zero knowledge about VR know that. You even went above that and said you're interested in VR racers. lol

To add to the above, you having to "admit" you'd like to play astro bot? Well, if you like that sort of game, you can expect alot more of the same next gen considering PS5 won't be a total nightmare to get games running at good fps.

Last edited:

Norse

Silvawuff

Not a chance. I'll play the long game and enjoy all the updates/design/component failures getting fixed, along with a nice price drop, before diving in. It always pays to wait, especially with this hobby.

Link1110

If Switch keeps getting ports of everything then I'll have no need of a PS5. Though Falcom seems PS only, so I'll probably wait until there's an exclusive Ys Game before I even think of buying PS5. As for Xbox, I still haven't found a single game I care about on Xbox one, so likely pass on that one.

Top Bottom