• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you buy a next generation consoles if they cost over $500?

For the first full year, would you buy a next gen consoles if price is over $500?

• Total voters

JordanN

Banned
I'm less skeptical of the price and more worried about the software lineup.

Games take a lot longer to produce than they did 10 ~ 20 years ago, so unless MS/Sony had already started some secret next gen projects 3 years ago, the initial launch titles and games will be multiplats or ports.

Sure, they may run and look better than their PS4/XBO counterparts, but if I already own a PC, it's not going to be anything special.

So to answer the question, it's only a yes if next gen has a lot of exclusive games. But I'm not paying $500 just to play the same Battlefield/Call of Duty that exists everywhere.

Last edited:

EDarkness

I won't be buying any $500 anything. If they're $350 or under, then I'll bite. More than that, no way. I don't care too much about the power. I want affordability more than anything.

$499-$599 will be the price for these machines. People are more than happy dropping $1500 on a new iPhone and the gaming companies know this. Half a grand is nothing to consumers now days.

I'll probably wait until they're less than 4 hundo. Sony has good exclusives but not over that.

Edit: my grammar sux. lol

Last edited:

EDarkness

$499-$599 will be the price for these machines. People are more than happy dropping $1500 on a new iPhone and the gaming companies know this. Half a grand is nothing to consumers now days.

$500 is a lot of money to spend on a game system. I'll be super surprised if these machines sell a whole lot at that price.

they wont cost more than 500. i can only see microsoft putting out a 300-400 SKU and a 600 SKU but thats about it. Sony will put out one system thats gonna be 500

Petrae

If I was miraculously convinced to spend money on a Gen9 console, there’s no way in hell I’d blow that much cash on one. Those days have been over since Gen6.

I had no issue waiting a couple of years for PS4 and even longer for XBO. Generations don’t even really get going for at least a couple of years, and by then there’s usually a price cut somewhere. I’ve come to believe that, in general, buying consoles on Day One is a complete waste of cash in paying the Day One tax.

I paid $50 out of pocket for my PS4 and less than that out of pocket for my Xbox One X, thanks to trade-in promotions and other limited time deals. Once consoles get over $500, even with trade-ins, it’s still at least a couple of hundred bones... and I’m far too cheap to pay that.

Having said all that, paying the most I ever have for a console with no expected improvement to huge installs and Day One patches, as well as having to keep deleting games to make room for others (I won’t get into the microtransactions/DLC/other bullshit that’s become standard)... and I’m confident that my money will be better spent elsewhere after the PS4 and XBO finish their sunset periods.

Petrae

Hey, if a PlayStation 5 or next Xbox can:

— Fit in my pocket
— Make phone calls
— Send text messages/iMessages
— Check e-mail anywhere
— Perform basic productivity tasks
— Stream media anywhere
— Take pictures and video

Not a few of those things, by the way. ALL of those things.

If a Gen9 console can do all of that, then I’d consider dropping more than half a grand on one and moving away from my phone. But they can’t, so the phone comes first.

Romulus

A $500+ console helps me justify spending the money upgrading my PC again instead. More and more Xbox games are coming over and I have little interest in the PlayStation exclusives. The idea that mid-gen console refreshes exist now further leads me to believe that at the very least I should wait until then to jump in. Why spend $500+ now when in a few years $500 will buy me a better version with and established library all the growing pains out of the way. This way I get to pick whichever one "won" and has the better exclusives. I also protect myself from the deadly blue rays.

Between the PC and Switch I have more than enough games to fill my time.

You're lucky that you have no interest in most of the Sony exclusives. Their lineup is pretty varied imo, especially VR. PSVR absolutely demolishes the Xbox One's exclusives imo. It's not even close and PSVR came out 2 years after Xbox One.

dalekjay

I hope they give a meaningful step, I would pay over 500 to have just 1 for the entire generation.
I do rather have a price bump on the machine than games price tag

GreatnessRD

Wish there was an option for "Maybe" because I truly don't know as of yet. I've only bought one system at launch ever and that was PS4. Depends on what the launch titles are because we all know the later adopters get better versions of hardware and run better. I put yes, but I'm going to do my damnedest to not bite.

That mid-gen "refresh" from this gen doesn't inspire me to hop on the wagon either. Price doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Hey, if a PlayStation 5 or next Xbox can:

— Fit in my pocket
— Make phone calls
— Send text messages/iMessages
— Check e-mail anywhere
— Perform basic productivity tasks
— Stream media anywhere
— Take pictures and video

Not a few of those things, by the way. ALL of those things.

If a Gen9 console can do all of that, then I’d consider dropping more than half a grand on one and moving away from my phone. But they can’t, so the phone comes first.
a $99 phone can do all that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
probably yeah...

as long it's not an insane price. £550 is probably my limit for launch. if it's any more than that i'll hold off for a few months.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As always the price I am willing to pay depends of if the consoles are worth it. I'd even pay 1.000 $ if what is provided (Hardware+Software) is worth it.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Depends... if a greater than $500 pricepoint is what it takes to get a flash-based storage system then my answer is yes.

£399 and I'd be fine with it, especially knowing my PS4 games and that will all still work.

16GB application RAM
11-12TF
1TB SSD

I'd be good.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm most likely not going to be in the market for a next gen console within the first year or two. I just don't see any reason to spend $4-500 to play rushed ports of BF, FIFA, AC, CoD. I get that people see Sony exclusives as a reason to buy but are we really expecting their launch lineup to deliver after what happened with the PS4? It was year after year of saying how stacked their upcoming releases were, that every year would finally be the year, but it really wasn't until the middle of the generation when we saw a respectable lineup. If I'm being completely honest, their first party output just doesn't interest or impress me anywhere near what we got on PS3.

The games take so long to develop and they're designed to be so safe that it's going to take quite a lot to get me off of just playing evergreen games like Crusader Kings and Civ VI. I'd rather just spend that money on whatever $500 graphics card is available at the time.

The Snake

I would probably just wait. I love my PS4 and I don't regret buying it, but I really didn't need it that early.

I played like, Don't Starve on it. Whoopee.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A $500+ console helps me justify spending the money upgrading my PC again instead. More and more Xbox games are coming over and I have little interest in the PlayStation exclusives. The idea that mid-gen console refreshes exist now further leads me to believe that at the very least I should wait until then to jump in. Why spend $500+ now when in a few years $500 will buy me a better version with and established library all the growing pains out of the way. This way I get to pick whichever one "won" and has the better exclusives. I also protect myself from the deadly blue rays.

Between the PC and Switch I have more than enough games to fill my time.
Why spend $500 upgrading a PC when in two years it’ll be weak?

cryptoadam

Banned
Sitting this one out. Maybe in year 2/3 when the price drops or the Pro versions come out. I don't game as much anyways.

BF 6 will tempt me but I will hold out. I will most likely look into Stadia and see if that actually works.

NickFire

I don't think I would break the 500 barrier for just a console and controller. Would most likely wait a year for the price drop.

LordOfChaos

Luckily, CAD prices didn't jump about 33% with currency conversion. They topped it out at 20%..... $500 US --> $600.

Still that's a lot. And who knows if next gen they won't do normal currency bumps and make it $649.99.

They've been happy to eat ~20-30 dollar losses on the conversion to make the CAD price more round, but 68 dollars is a lot per console to eat. CAD sucks so much right now. 650 sounds more like what they'd do to round it out.

Last edited:
No, i'd wait for a couple of exclusive games that interest me enough for me to purchase the console, then find a good deal and buy it cheap.

When I say I'm not willing to pay over 400 and want exclusives, I mean this a PC gamer. I obviously have another platform to play games on. 5 hundo isn't bad for a powerfull console.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What's that in pounds?
Take in account that it is usually 50-80 pounds more then a straight conversion
Either way I'm not willing to pay over £400

Last edited:
No with a qualifier.
I certainly won't be getting it right away. I didn't get a PS2 until 3 years after launch, a PS3 at least 2 years after launch, and the PS4 was a good year. Same reasons as always:

1. Wait for a library to build
2. Wait for early bugs to be ironed out.

My backlog is long enough to last me the rest of my career and a few years into retirement at this point, so I won't be lacking for things to play. But eventually yes I'm sure there will be a couple of compelling games that will get me to pony up. Meanwhile, I can be patient.

scalman

sure i will, compare it to pc parts you need to have proper gaming systems and its no brainer . plus its exclusive games , so its second no brainer. and most important , once you payed those 500 or more you will no need to add anything to it and after years it will improve graphics and stuff on same box. imagine that happen to pc ever ? lol

Journey

Banned
As I've stated many times and I hope MS/Sony are listening, it's all about value, gamers love value and will pay for a premium console that's worth the extra dollars. I believe that's why Xbox One X was such a hit despite its price, you get what you pay for, unless you're an Xbox One in 2013, back then you paid and ended up with a Kinect that you didn't want and weaker hardware lol, horrible value compared to its competitor.

Hinedorf

Banned
You can buy a console or you can spend 3 times as much for a PC. In most cases the cost of the entire console is what people pay for a video card.

If 100$ is a deal breaker over a console go build a PC and get back to me with that 100$ complaint.

You can buy a console or you can spend 3 times as much for a PC. In most cases the cost of the entire console is what people pay for a video card.

If 100$ is a deal breaker over a console go build a PC and get back to me with that 100$ complaint.

Consoles def have the price/performance locked up. Well, most of the time. You can get lucky at times. But 99.95% of the time, it's consoles.

Top Bottom