• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you still buy a PS5 if Sony doesn't retract and keeps their anti-consumer practices from the PS4?

With the Xbox crazy name being revealed, and E3 getting closer every day, I think it's time to decide. Sony has been getting away with anti-consumer practices for awhile now and several of which are being swept under the rug by PS4 only owners.

However, if Sony were to keep ALL the anti-consumer practices on the PS4 and bring them to the PS5, would you still purchase a PS5?

Let's take a closer look at Sony's anti-consumer practices below.

1. Censorship on an increasing number of games
  2. Hesitant of crossplay, limited titles that support it
  3. Controlling indie developers with contracts.
  4. PSnow prices
  5. Closing multiple studios despite those studios not losing a lot of money
  6. Weakest streaming platform compared to competitors (Stadis etc.)
  7. Purposely locking the built in PS2 emulator in the PS4 behind a pay wall
  8. Controlling some Japanese retail release dates in the west.
  9. Removing digital codes from offline and online retailers
  10. Rejecting features from other companies which would be good for gamers. (EA Access etc.)
  11. Throwing Vita owners under the bus less than 2 years after release
  12. Complacency
  13. Not helping release original games unless they take control of the IP in many cases.
  14. Ignoring for 5 years of constant complaints from their loyal customers to improve thumbstick durability.
  15. Dismissive PSN customer service.

And there's MANY more I haven't even listed. This is but a brief summary.

I know i'll be hesitant to by one if they keep all the PS4's anti-consumer practice for the PS5.

PocoJoe

Banned
I dont care a shit about those. Sony keeps giving good games with good system&best controller = I'm in.

Crossplay is kind of weird point anyway, there are enough gamers on every system.

And at least in my circles everyone have the same console(Playstation) as main system and few have switch.

14) maybe these loyal customers should learn to play? I have 4 controllers from launch with +5000h on them at least, zero wear on sticks other than bit more slippery surface. Same with my friends. Only one that breaks his sticks is anger management issues guy whom screams while gaming and punishes the controller because he is just too stupid to stay calm

People break their sticks by using finger nails, throwing em around or using way too much of force like nhl players with their crazy aggressive style.

Anything breaks with stupid users

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not everything you don't like is anti consumer ffs, lol.

Much of that shitlist isn't even something for you to like or not, like how they may deal with this or that company that wants to make a deal for their game, what's it to you if they make the contract so Sony owns the game or not, it's up to the other company if they like the deal enough to take it or leave it, what's wrong with you?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Day one boiiiiiii!
Most of the games I play are exclusive to PlayStation.... so there is no chance. Also, none of the things you list bother me, in fact I don't want crossplay, PlayStation is not a charity that should support other less healthy platforms.

Stadia is the worst streaming platform btw, by a long way!

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Voost Kain do you work for Sony? Because with a list like that you make even indifferent people to say "YES I'LL BUY A GODAMN PS5" just for opposition's sake. Good job man.

The only argument in that list that is relevant is the problem with Sony's censorship (especially on Japanese titles) but i really don't trust MS either on that subject because they are also an American company who is knee-deep in pseudo-puritanism shit as well and which can change its stance very easily and become even worse than Sony on the subject of censorship if next gen turns out more succesful for them.

Ten_Fold

I dont care for Sony's exclusives unless they pump out that demon souls remaster or legend of dragoon remake. I dont plan on buying one at launch. Gonna go switch/xbox and PC next gen.

Reactions: Isa

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't love Sony as a company and I do think that there is a whole lot to dislike about the PlayStation ecosystem. Still buying one though, because it's about the games at the end of the day. I probably won't go in day one. I will need to see some exclusives that actually interest me.

Last edited:

NeatoB1

With the Xbox crazy name being revealed, and E3 getting closer every day, I think it's time to decide. Sony has been getting away with anti-consumer practices for awhile now and several of which are being swept under the rug by PS4 only owners.

However, if Sony were to keep ALL the anti-consumer practices on the PS4 and bring them to the PS5, would you still purchase a PS5?

4. PSnow prices
  10. Rejecting features from other companies which would be good for gamers. (EA Access etc.)
  12. Complacency
  13. Not helping release original games unless they take control of the IP in many cases.
  14. Ignoring for 5 years of constant complaints from their loyal customers to improve thumbstick durability.

I know i'll be hesitant to by one if they keep all the PS4's anti-consumer practice for the PS5.
You got to admit though super Lucky's Tale in 8k 120 going to be straight fire bro

4. PSnow prices
  12. Complacency

1. The censorship sucks but it won't stop me from wanting to experience their exclusives.
2. Crossplay doesn't mean anything to me.
3. I don't care about this either.
4. I don't use PSNow
5. What studios did they close?
6. I don't like game streaming.
7. Wasn't a big fan of PS2, tbh
8. Not sure what this means
9. Which digital codes were removed?
10. EA Access isn't good for anyone.
11. Vita sucks
12. ???
13. "many cases" so not all
14. Never had trouble with the thumbsticks, personally, I'm assuming that's more of a fighting game problem since people are more aggressive with them? But I thought the D-pad was the preferred way to play those.
15. Never had to use customer service

4. PSnow prices
  12. Complacency

Thanks for the laugh!

ParchedInfatuatedAfricanelephant-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Aion002

1. Don't care.
2. Don't care.
3. Don't care.
4. Yeah... that needs to improve.
5. Don't care.
6. Don't care.
7. Don't care.
8. Don't care.
9. Don't care.
10. Might care.
11. That's a lie. (I have two Vita's.... Sony tried, it has some good Sony games.)
12. That's a lie. (Best exclusive games are Playstation for me, PSN has nice deals and that's all I care)
13. Don't care.
14. Meh.
16. Never had a problem.

You wanna know what anti-consumer pratice that makes me not buy a companys console is? Abandoning a console like MS did with 360 and One way before the new console is launched.

Last edited:
Top Bottom