• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you still buy a PS5 if Sony doesn't retract and keeps their anti-consumer practices from the PS4?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
you+keep+using+that+word.gif

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Yes, it's only a matter of when. I'm aiming for day1 unless Sony comes up with some very anti-consumer program regarding PS4 backwards compatibility. Also helps that most gamers I know in person (friends, relatives etc.) have a PS3 or a PS4 so we're all in the same ecosystem.

Phase

If there's one thing keeping me from buying new products, it's complacency in the gaming industry. In no other time have we had so many remasters, remakes, reboots, amazingly long times between releases from big companies *cough* Valve, Bethesda *cough. How many companies today just release broken messes to get that dough, then keep developing the game to where it should've been before release? They're basically always in early access. Investing in AAA gaming is essentially a gamble nowadays.

Last edited:

Silent Duck

Fuck Sony!
I bet Sony is behind the Ouya’s downfall. They were jealous that they did not have “Just Rain” as an exclusive and sabotaged it.

Buy a PS5? Ha! I’ll teach Sony a lesson by only buying one. That’ll show them!

Three

Has your boss kicked off the campaign again and you've decided to fucking paraphrase your exact same thread from 10 months ago today?

Get bent.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My biggest concern with PS5 is they focus on their western games and they completely abandon making first party Japanese games.

Basically go same route as Xbox and just make games they know will sell instead giving unique games a chance.

pr0cs

Price and software will dictate when I buy a ps5, none of OPs reasons would stop me from buying one. They might make the difference between using it more or not, certainly cross play but otherwise there are more important things to think about

marquimvfs

Again with that shit? Cut the crap out!
None of those listed factors matters to anyone if the alternative is even worse.

Last edited:

magnumpy

sure I'll still get a ps5. the listed anti consumer practices would bother me a lot more if sony was the only option when it comes to gaming, but between xbox and pc and cell phones etc. that's hardly the case :messenger_neutral::messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call::messenger_robot:

chinoXL

People really consider censored games to be an issue? That’s the last thing I would worry about. Guess I’ve been out of the loop, I haven’t run across any anti consumer tactics from what I’ve dealt with. Regardless a PS Cinco has a reserved spot under my TV

Fbh

Nope.

Your first 457 threads didn't convince me, but you've finally done it. Next gen I'm going with the most consumer friendly platform: Stadia.

I'm already looking forward to all the awesomeness that those blurry and compressed 4K games with their 30fps (with drops) and high input lag are going to bring me while I'll happily pay high prices for games over which I'll haven even less ownership than on any other digital platform while risking having my access to them removed because some google bot didn't like the way I used emojis on some video.

Jtibh

Banned
Omfg.
Stadia died at birth and now you ....what is it you are trying here??????
Buddy go after your dead child and bury yourself next to it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I will probably buy the PS5 way late, because of preferring the Xbox (thanks to the controller and the off chance that Rare makes a proper game), but your points, V Voost Kain ? Let's look at them:

Censorship on an increasing number of games
Why would I care, I do not play any such games and what is being "censored" does not affect gameplay, which is all I care for.

Hesitant of crossplay, limited titles that support it
I do not play online

Controlling indie developers with contracts.
What is this about? I would like to know!

PSnow prices
Game streaming is the biggest turd that has ever been shat, so any streaming service that does not pay me for using it is too expensive. E.g. Stevia, which, in contrast to PSNow also happens to have no games.

Closing multiple studios despite those studios not losing a lot of money
Well, they closed studios whose games I wouldn't have bought anyway. It's shitty, but nothing to stop me from buying a console.

Weakest streaming platform compared to competitors (Stadis etc.)
All streaming platforms are unequivocally and irredeemably shitty. Stadis, Stadia, PSNow, all absolute garbage. The only acceptable use case is to use XCloud to play the intro video of a game while it is installing. Because streaming is fine for videos, it is just utter garbage for people with no standards in interactive media.

Purposely locking the built in PS2 emulator in the PS4 behind a pay wall
I have a PS2, so why would I care.

Controlling some Japanese retail release dates in the west.
More information on that?

Removing digital codes from offline and online retailers
That's fine, give me retails versions.

Rejecting features from other companies which would be good for gamers. (EA Access etc.)
Good. Subscription services will hurt smaller studios significantly in the future.

Throwing Vita owners under the bus less than 2 years after release
That was shitty, but (1) the Vita still was a great VN machine years later (2) it is unlikly that Sony will treat PS5 similarly.

Complacency
Not an issue in itself for me as a customer.

Not helping release original games unless they take control of the IP in many cases.
How is it their obligation to help release original games without controlling the IP?

Ignoring for 5 years of constant complaints from their loyal customers to improve thumbstick durability.
Their controllers are shit anyway, so if I buy a PS5, I will buy it with a controller with a proper layout anyway.

Dismissive PSN customer service.
I do not care about online services. I play always offline.

KiteGr

I won't be getting it day 1, that's sure.
As always I'll wait and see.
Their recent censorship spree is what rustles my jimmies the most, so that will be a huge factor.

TLZ

Banned
With the Xbox crazy name being revealed, and E3 getting closer every day, I think it's time to decide. Sony has been getting away with anti-consumer practices for awhile now and several of which are being swept under the rug by PS4 only owners.

However, if Sony were to keep ALL the anti-consumer practices on the PS4 and bring them to the PS5, would you still purchase a PS5?

Let's take a closer look at Sony's anti-consumer practices below.

1. Censorship on an increasing number of games
  2. Hesitant of crossplay, limited titles that support it
  3. Controlling indie developers with contracts.
  4. PSnow prices
  5. Closing multiple studios despite those studios not losing a lot of money
  6. Weakest streaming platform compared to competitors (Stadis etc.)
  7. Purposely locking the built in PS2 emulator in the PS4 behind a pay wall
  8. Controlling some Japanese retail release dates in the west.
  9. Removing digital codes from offline and online retailers
  10. Rejecting features from other companies which would be good for gamers. (EA Access etc.)
  11. Throwing Vita owners under the bus less than 2 years after release
  12. Complacency
  13. Not helping release original games unless they take control of the IP in many cases.
  14. Ignoring for 5 years of constant complaints from their loyal customers to improve thumbstick durability.
  15. Dismissive PSN customer service.

And there's MANY more I haven't even listed. This is but a brief summary.

I know i'll be hesitant to by one if they keep all the PS4's anti-consumer practice for the PS5.

giphy.gif

I'm speechless.

Hostile_18

Banned
Why is there so much hostility to the OP?

I'm heavily invested in Sony at this point but they are valid concerns. Mircosoft had these line of tells the second half of the 360 life, which led to the XB1 launch.

My main concern isn't even listed. Sony's digital refund policy, it's by far the worst of the big three.

It would take alot for me to switch to MS with how many digital licences I have, but I do keep my eye on the things OP mentioned. Things start in one place and often lead to another.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The Vita thing didn't affect much people, so...

Everyone knows that Plus is kinda shit, so I still won't get it. But I will get the console, like I will get an Xbox and a Switch Pro

Shmunter

Personally I’m surprised not more pressure is placed on Family sharing. Kids are getting older and need their own space, and I need my 75” back. I have no inclination to purchase multiple copies of games. The main console activation scenario is cumbersome and limited, not a proper solution.

I guess I’m a fringe minority tho.

Tomeru

Sorry bro, I had to go out! I'll pick up where I left off...

YES!!! Thank you. Im gonna buy a ps5 for every like you give out.

My biggest concern with PS5 is they focus on their western games and they completely abandon making first party Japanese games.

Basically go same route as Xbox and just make games they know will sell instead giving unique games a chance.

Xbox make games that sell?

/s

Last edited:

Zannegan

I won't commit to buying any hardware until it's unveiled and I see its first year lineup.

If I do decide to go with the PS5 as my first next gen console though, none of the things you listed--those that are actually true, anyway (the Stadia shoutout is hilarious)--would even make me think twice. At the very least I know Sony can't pull the plug on my single-player games if the company decides to chase some other service industry a few years down the road.

Ah the usual "muh censorship", what about the games? Are 3rd parties supporting the system? Is the fan quiet this time? How much is the size of this super ssd? Will we be able to connect an external SSD/HDD from the get go? Is any system prior to the PS4 supported? How good is the Dual shock 5? That's what i care about.
And who the fuck cared about PSNow or PSvue?

daninthemix

Will I buy the product that I haven't seen, whose games I don't know, whose price I don't know...

That's your question - you're asking for my answer on that right now?

Top Bottom