• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you stock up on food/supplies for a potential second wave?

Will you stock up for a second Covid wave?

• Yes

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 60 76.9%

• Total voters

JordanN

Banned
gvLS1cF.jpg

Cold weather is coming, which means more people being huddled together in enclosed spaces.
Schools wont be able to teach outside forever, and restaurants wont have patios open when it's snowing.

The recipe for Covid spiking is in the air, but are you going to prepare for it or just continue life as normal?

Especially when last time, grocery stores where packed to the gills (see above pic)?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
no i don't see much panicking happening this winter. even at the "worst" of it, the biggest thing was like, being unable to buy more than 1 pack of TP.

dorkimoe

It never got too crazy here. It got busy and we ran out of a few things, but nothing insane. I have a bunch of ramen I stocked up on and pasta noodles, but not too worried.

nush

Gold Member
Looks like I have about 35-40 rolls. 6 months to a year is probably a more accurate guess. I don’t use too much. I filled up part of my bathroom close back around April and it’s at about 60% capacity now.

I’m just a single dude wiping for 1

I brought 12 rolls a few months back and got down to my last two so rebrought another 12 yesterday. They don't go bad, just make sure they dont get damp or eaten by vermin.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I got a handheld bidet so the toilet paper won't be an issue this time, and I still have about 80kg of rice from back at the start of this shit when it looked like the apocalypse. I think I'll be fine. That said, I think the public in general is over this shit (the media hasn't caught up yet) and thus I think panic buying won't happen.

Hakiroto

No. I didn't stock up first time and had no real problems getting what I needed. Maybe it's just where I am but I never saw supermarkets getting crazy or people buying unreasonable amounts of things.

Yes, but I try to keep a decent amount of food I cycle through in case of emergencies anyway.

There's a few things that were a pain in the arse to get last time I'll definitely be grabbing a few more of next time I'm paid though. Flour, yeast and vanilla were a sod not to have as someone that loves baking.

nush

Gold Member
It was definitely a worthwhile exercise for me. Instead of just what food was in the cupboards and freezer it's a lot more structured and the free space is being used now tinned foods, long life products that make good meal bases. My fridge freezer died last month, so I took the opportunity to replace it with a chest freezer and a larger fridge with a small ice box.

Which lead to a nice little project of making a small unpowered emergency cooler box that works on those blue ice packs, so as long as one of my refrigeration units is running I'll be good for a short while.

GeorgPrime

Banned
gvLS1cF.jpg

Cold weather is coming, which means more people being huddled together in enclosed spaces.
Schools wont be able to teach outside forever, and restaurants wont have patios open when it's snowing.

The recipe for Covid spiking is in the air, but are you going to prepare for it or just continue life as normal?

Especially when last time, grocery stores where packed to the gills (see above pic)?

American is still fighting the first wave ;)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Retailers will be ordering more stock for an expected second wave. Whether it pans out or not and people stockpile again who knows. But they are planning to order more. Just a tip from retailer head offices I heard from sales people at the office.

Stocking up is boring.

I liked the game of "i eat what i find left over on the shelves". For some reason, the main thing left during the first lockdown was 3 for £10 sirloin steaks. I ate like a king...of a poor african country

Hudo

Nah, I trust the economic greed and power of corruption of McDonalds et al. to always have products available for consumption.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nah. The UK went a little mad during the initial panic but the majority of the country is so over it now. I can't see many people bulk buying toilet roll and pasta this time.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hydroponics in the basement are already full tilt for the approaching winter. Root vegetables like turnips, potatoes, and beets are about to come out of the ground and be canned or dry-stored. Large stock of sardines and gelatin powder, plus high quality mushroom and cacao powder in the pantry. Lots of fats / oils stored in cool temps. Plenty of dried rice / grain / legumes. Lots of frozen meat.

"Stocking up" is a so-so way to prepare for the long term. It is better to actually gain independence on a few foods / resources and then build up from there, since bartering would be alive and well in a true apocalypse / scarcity situation. For instance instead of buying 1,000 gallons of water, store maybe 100 emergency gallons and then invest in some portable filter / pumps. Instead of buying a "500 organic plant survival kit" in an ammo tin, learn to grow 3 or 4 basics like turnips or bush-beans and grow them well enough to make a surplus for storage.

Top Bottom