• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Dual Shock 4 drivers.

Havel

UPDATE: Wobbles (InputMapper dev) has looked into the issue and has just posted this:

Windows 10 Version 1607 is in fact NOT compatible with exclusive mode.

Microsoft Windows 10's recent update, version 1607 dubbed the Anniversary Update, will break InputMapper's ability to connect to the controller exclusively which is required by some games.

I have not found a workaround as of yet and it is doubtful that one exists. So until a solution is found, it is important that users needing exclusive mode disable Windows updates temporarily. You can see how to defer windows update by reading this link: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/defer-...-in-windows-10

I have posted to Microsoft regarding the issue Link . Please click "Me Too" link to help raise awareness.

As of update 1607, kernel32.dll CreateFile() using only the flags GENERIC_READ and GENERIC_WRITE and 0 for dwShareMode no longer allow exclusive (non shared) access to devices needed in some circumstances.
An example of a device that is not allowing exclusive access any more is the Sony Dualshock 4 Game controller.

Just a heads up to people who need to use Exclusive Mode (most games need this option) in InoutMapper, DS4Windows, etc, but the option is currently not working on the latest Windows 10 update (it will say the program can't access your DS4 exclusively, even if no other programs are running).

This has been a known issue for the past few months on Windows Insider builds, but now that the Anniversary Update is live it seems to have still not been rectified.

BrokenArrow

Neo Member
Of course Microsoft did this intentionally! There is absolutely no way a complex piece of software with millions and millions of lines of code such as an operating system can possibly have unforseen bugs! It's all a conspiracy! They hate us gamers after all! Also they steal all our data!

Danlord

Just done the Anniversary Update on my laptop and have DS4Windows (Version 1.4.261) and everything works fine. Tested rumble, the analogues are detected and the light can be changed.

Maybe re-install DS4Windows?

edit: Found this searching about Exclusive Mode, some say it helps
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-J2K?pid=473439#pid473439
New fix for exclusive mode which doesn't require messing with Network List Service or making a batch file startup task. Credit mebrad on inputmapper forums for discovery: https://inputmapper.com/forum/4/614?start=110#p3653

1. Make sure DS4Windows is running and 'Hide DS4 Controller' option is enabled.
2. Kill the explorer.exe process.
3. Connect controller.
4. Run explorer.exe
5. Profit.

Use this batch file to make it easy:

Code:
Code:
@echo off
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /f
echo Press any key after connecting your controller.
pause
start explorer.exe
If there's issues, 'Run as Admin' for both DS4Windows and the batch file.

Elixist

MS cant even get the XB1 controller to work properly 100 percent, still see stories of various issues. i doubt this ones malicious still sux

Hip Hop

Of course it did. This should surprise absolutely nobody. But hey its free guys!

Yeah, I mean, it's an update.

Something similar happened a few updates ago where it would mess with the CPU usage while you played a game while using an Xbox controller.

I'm sure they'll update it soon.

Hasn't there already been a thread on this?
Hasn't a fix already been outlined in that very thread?
Hasn't another Windows update fixed this problem entirely?

edit: ahh.

At any rate, y'all really shouldn't jump to assume that this was at all intentional. All signs point to that it wasn't, as much as some of you would like to believe that in order to justify the sole mark you'll leave on this thread

Of course it did. This should surprise absolutely nobody. But hey its free guys!

Can't wait to hear what you have to say once this is fixed *rollseyes*

How patronizing.

How? How was that patronizing? Because it suggests that you're not thinking straight for jumping to conspiracies? In that sense it's right on point...

Eusis

Probably more a case of fiddling with Xinput code and not really caring what might happen with unofficially working stuff. If I can help it I'll wait until they work around it again though.

Havel

Probably more a case of fiddling with Xinput code and not really caring what might happen with unofficially working stuff. If I can help it I'll wait until they work around it again though.

This sounds the most likely scenario.

Corpekata

Banned
Pretty sure this update has also made the Xbox One controllers suck on Unity engine bug worse.

Games like Slain! and Anime before today would at least react to the controller, though things like the shoulder and dpad buttons would be swapped. Now they both flat out don't react to the controller for me anymore.

Noobcraft

Probably. The Anniversary update is supposed to allow the Bluetooth Xbox One controllers to work correctly so it seems plausible that messing with the way windows handles Bluetooth devices would break DS4 windows.

RexNovis

Banned
Just done the Anniversary Update on my laptop and have DS4Windows (Version 1.4.261) and everything works fine. Tested rumble, the analogues are detected and the light can be changed.

So basically you have to hide from windows that it is a DS4 in order for it to work? Am I reading that right? That's not sketchy at all. Nope not one bit.

Corpekata

Banned
So basically you have to hide from windows that it is a DS4 in order for it to work? That's not sketchy at all. Nope not one bit.

That's what you've always had to do. If games detect it as DS4 they think the controller is D-input and a huge chunk of games don't support D-input correctly.

RexNovis

Banned
That's what you've always had to do. If games detect it as DS4 they think the controller is D-input and a huge chunk of games don't support D-input correctly.

Weird. Why would that specifically be an issue with DS4s and not other controllers?

jediyoshi

So basically you have to hide from windows that it is a DS4 in order for it to work? Am I reading that right? That's not sketchy at all. Nope not one bit.

No, you have to "hide" it in order to use a third party application to make your system think it's an Xbox controller, because xinput is basically the defacto controller standard. Ironically, this is mostly an issue in games that already have native DS4 support anyway, because the controller ends up being registered twice.

If you want to use a DS4 on a PC. You plug it in.

Weird. Why would that specifically be an issue with DS4s and not other controllers?
As far as I know, Sony doesn't put out official drivers for the Dual Shock controllers... Which means that if you use it without a community driver it downgrades to Dinput which is the old controller standard

Because when you plug in a PS4 controller, the system sees it as a dinput device (like any random 3rd party PC controller), but you want it to work natively with games that support 360 controllers, so this third party application 'hides' the dinput PS4 controller and translates inputs over to xinput.

You have to hide the dinput so that games that support xinput and direct input at the same time don't leave you doubling every single button press (because d-pad down would count as d-pad down across two 'input devices', the directinput PS4 controller and the xinput wrapper, as opposed to just the one).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
We've literally had Windows 10 updates that accidentally broke Microsoft's own god damn controller.

But no, it's a conspiracy.

doesn't have to be a conspiracy

they just don't have to put a priority on fixing things that break the drivers for the controller they don't want you to buy

it's not even that they intentionally broke it in the first place

Corpekata

Banned

It is an issue for other controllers, if you mean D-input ones. Before the Dualshock drivers people would use Xbox360ce for this function. Xinput is a lot easier to use so it saves users a lot of headaches to have a program trick your computer into thinking it's using an Xbox pad rather than hoping for individual game support or hoping games allow remapping.

Most other controllers these days are X-input, even the logitech basic ones that are like 25 dollars tend to either be X-input or have a switch to toggle between X and D.

Seiru

Banned
It sounds more like the devs of the third-party DS4 drivers didn't update to accommodate changes made in xinput. I'm not sure why people are immediately hating on Windows here.

Havel

This has happened once before, and the current fix at the time was the one you posted. It actually got fixed in a later Windows build.

This one is new though, and the old fixes aren't working this time.

RexNovis

Banned
If you don't know how DS4 works, then what are you talking about in here?

So I need to have used a DS4 on PC in order to comment in this thread? Is that what you are saying? I need to have used a DS4 to voice suspicion about new developments a multi billion dollar company with a history of convictions wherein they ahve exploited their near monopoly to manipulate the market, kill off competing services and take advantage of consumers. Oh ok. I'll be sure to get your personal permission before I comment on anything related Microsoft again.

Is that what you wanted to hear form me? Get outta here with that BS. Questioning the suspicious developments surrounding a company with this sort of history should be the immediate reaction not hand waiving it away. Microsoft isnt your friend they are company trying to collect your money and your data to make more money. Why is it you are rushing in to defend them like they are some unquestionable paragon? They earned their reputation for a reason and until they prove otherwise everyone should suspect they are doing something underhanded. They have not earned the benefit of the doubt in any shape, form, or fashion.

Top Bottom