• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Has a Security Flaw So Severe the NSA Disclosed It

I would be again, if all my games worked on it. (because one game just has to use EAC)

Well to be fair, I keep a gaming machine with Windows on it, but it's only purpose is gaming. It's a dedicated personal console, I suppose. I'd never use Windows for anything that is personal or has the slightest sensitive nature. (And you can enjoy tons of gaming on Linux too, despite some limitations.)

Which Linux distro do you recommend?

I guess it depends on how much you want to fiddle with things. If you want a relatively smooth transition from Windows, I'd recommend Ubuntu, Mint or Zorin. (I really like Zorin personally.) But if you want to jump into the deep end, you could always try Arch, Gentoo, or LFS (Linux from scratch where you're basically building a personal distro).

I guess it depends on how much you want to fiddle with things. If you want a relatively smooth transition from Windows, I'd recommend Ubuntu, Mint or Zorin. (I really like Zorin personally.) But if you want to jump into the deep end, you could always try Arch, Gentoo, or LFS (Linux from scratch where you're basically building a personal distro).

+1 for Arch. It's my non-server distro of choice.

But some people are gonna tell you that W10 is the best windows ever...

Yes, because Windows 7/8/XP/ME/98/95 never had any terrible backdoors. Nope. None.

C'mon man.

Show me another version of Windows that can survive 4 motherboard swaps, 3 CPU swaps, and a swap from Intel to AMD, 2 hard drive swaps, all on the same install AND still boot up in 10 seconds from the time you push the Power button to login screen AND be rock solid/stable. I dare you

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yes, because Windows 7/8/XP/ME/98/95 never had any terrible backdoors. Nope. None.

C'mon man.

Show me another version of Windows that can survive 4 motherboard swaps, 3 CPU swaps, and a swap from Intel to AMD, 2 hard drive swaps, all on the same install AND still boot up in 10 seconds from the time you push the Power button to login screen AND be rock solid/stable. I dare you
People have nightmare for every big update because it always broke some stuff or cause some problem, cmon man.

Internet is full of articles of how to fix what big updates breaks, i don't remember anything simioar with xp or 7 tbh.

I don't give a fuck about boot time if i have to fear every damn official update.

Lanrutcon

Internet is full of articles of how to fix what big updates breaks, i don't remember anything simioar with xp or 7 tbh.

Then you weren't paying attention at the time. Remember when you could execute code remotely via Task Scheduler in Windows XP? Not even kidding.

It's worth noting that the method (and visibility of said methods) of reporting vulnerabilities changes as time goes by. There's a lot more of a fuss kicked up when something is discovered nowadays.

Last edited:

Kokoro2020

I've updated my computer already. But personally, I haven't had many problems with Windows 10. Not like I did with Windows Vista. It's not hard to see why Vista was seen as one of the worst versions of Windows.

Kenpachii

All software is full of holes. Thinking your beloved OS is safe is just you living in ignorance.

They informed microsoft about this new exploit and its patched already. Done deal. Nothing special business as usual.

Grinchy

Banned
So that's how all of these anal bleaching videos ended up in my youtube search history! I told you it wasn't me.

People have nightmare for every big update because it always broke some stuff or cause some problem, cmon man.

I don't give a fuck about boot time if i have to fear every damn official update.

Once again, through all the updates, and transfers this install is chugging along perfectly.
And yes, there were MANY issues with big updates for people with prior windows releases as well.

Of course it's easier to find info on Win10 updates going bad, it's way more recent! C'mon.

Fake

Factually true.
448264.jpg

Top Bottom