• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 is using your own bandwidth to deliver updates to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the FAQ

How does Delivery Optimisation work?

Delivery Optimisation works in two ways.
Download updates and apps from other PCs

In addition to downloading updates and apps from Microsoft, Windows will get updates and apps from other PCs that already have them. You can choose which PCs you get these updates from:

PCs on your local network. When Windows downloads an update or app, it will look for other PCs on your local network that have already downloaded the update or app using Delivery Optimisation. Windows then downloads parts of the file from those PCs and parts of the file from Microsoft. Windows doesn’t download the entire file from one place. Instead, the download is broken down into smaller parts. Windows uses the fastest, most reliable download source for each part of the file.

PCs on your local network and PCs on the Internet. Windows uses the same process as when getting updates and apps from PCs on your local network, and also looks for PCs on the Internet that can be used as sources to download parts of updates and apps.
Send updates and apps to other PCs

When Delivery Optimisation is turned on, your PC sends parts of apps or updates that you’ve downloaded using Delivery Optimisation to other PCs on your local network, or on the Internet, depending on your settings.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

You can share your WiFi with your friends when they come over without giving them the password. How evil of Microsoft.

I swear . A feature where you can share password by opting in? same old ms
A use of network resources to put WIndows on local and internet machine as a form of distribution? same old ms
Me doing what I have been happy with Google doing on my android phone? same old ms

maybe its same old redundant outrage based on past confirmation bias

Krakatoa

I do like the idea of being able to distribute updates over LAN rather than downloading them on each computer.

Exactly business's have been doing this for ages with WSUS servers. It actually saves BW if you have multiple devices on your network needing the same update.

Seems like people will complain at anything these days.

Delivery Optimisation downloads the same updates and apps that you get via Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimisation creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

Delivery Optimisation can’t be used to download or send personal content.

I've turned it off, but it's annoying it was on by default. I might have been willing to enable it had it been off by default....

DBT85

Oof, they don't learn about things that need to be off by default do they.

Will turn that bugger off when I get home.

I am really hoping that all the people that are turning it off having very significant bandwidth caps or they are severely overreacting.

Luigi87

Yeah, no MS. Disabling this.

As for people who won't make the jump... Eh, this is no different than people who refused to upgrade from XP to W7 for the longest time.

I will say I was surprised that you are limited to only a month to be allowed to roll back to 7/8/8.1 from 10.

Raide

Oof, they don't learn about things that need to be off by default do they.

Will turn that bugger off when I get home.

It probably helped with get those PC's updating in a short amount of time. Saw earlier that it was on 14mil PC's already? Making it easier for people to update is not really the major issue people are making it out to be. Just turn it off.

Starviper

So the main two things are the privacy settings and this feature so far.. Adjusted my privacy settings so I don't get personalized ads, and set it so this feature only works for the local network. Anything else I should check? Lol.

Future

So now along with the 45 page terms of service no one reads, now people have to find all the easily buried options that can fuck up your experience at the benefit of Microsoft. Microsoft of course saying "well you can disable it! If you can find where to do that!"

Bullshit. Reminds me of software updates trying to sneak in auto checked additional "freeware" if you forget to uncheck the box. I was updating flash the other day and almost didn't notice when it tried to also install mcafee as I tried to quickly begin the download. Evil shit sneaking in default activated bullshit you know people would disable if they paid attention

Yeah, no MS. Disabling this.

As for people who won't make the jump... Eh, this is no different than people who refused to upgrade from XP to W7 for the longest time.

I will say I was surprised that you are limited to only a month to be allowed to roll back to 7/8/8.1 from 10.

I think it has to do with it keeping the entire previous version on your hard drive, many people try to already remove that instantly. You can still reinstall your previous version with you key if you want I think.

So the main two things are the privacy settings and this feature so far.. Adjusted my privacy settings so I don't get personalized ads, and set it so this feature only works for the local network. Anything else I should check? Lol.

People don't like Wifi Sense. Maybe that.

So now along with the 45 page terms of service no one reads, now people have to find all the easily buried options that can fuck up your experience at the benefit of Microsoft. Microsoft of course saying "well you can disable it! If you can find where to do that!"

Bullshit. Reminds me of software updates trying to sneak in auto checked additional "freeware" if you forget to uncheck the box. I was updating flash the other day and almost didn't notice when it tried to also install mcafee as I tried to quickly begin the download. Evil shit sneaking in default activated bullshit you know people would disable if they paid attention

They aren't buried. You get the option when you setup Windows at the start.

either you are capped at 1 GB a month of internet or in the 90s but i dont know how this has screw up your experience? The additional freeware is a bad comparison because it lets other companies put their software in without your permission. This is MS distributing the OS through mainly your local network and the internet in the form of bits not megabytes. You have a twisted definition of the word Evil.

This is an option YOU CHOSE when you install Windows..... Did you click the EXPRESS button?

RK128

Thanks for the heads up OP; turned that off right away (same with the Ad thing that they are pulling too).

I think that using PC's to help make updates better is very odd, but considering I got Windows 10 for free, I can't get too upset over this news.

If it means anything, I had little issue during the update process to Windows 10 and I only had to re-install two/three programs; it was mostly smooth honestly.

Luigi87

I think it has to do with it keeping the entire previous version on your hard drive, many people try to already remove that instantly. You can still reinstall your previous version with you key if you want I think.

Makes sense. I do see the Windows.old folder taking up quite a bit of disk space.

Azulsky

Its pretty necessary to go through a bunch of the options menus for Win10 after installing.

There many options worth unchecking.

They really need a browser wide "Incognito Mode" option

strata8

Peer to peer file sharing is bordering on illegal in my country (Australia).
But it's ok if Microsoft does it?

Haha what? I don't see how you could possible prosecute someone for sharing their own content just because it was done over torrent. See every Linux distro ever.

Worst thing about all this is that Microsoft never mentioned any of this to anyone before the launch of Windows 10. Deceitful fuckers. At least be honest and open to your customers. But no. This is what they think of us, as fucking morons. MS need a kicking.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Aren't you people getting a free OS? And you are bitching about the use of your idle connection? Are you serious?

People love to hate on MS, if you don't like it go make your own os or move to some other shit

Turn it off before you reach your caps, good lord.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Because you also receive faster updates from other users?

There is very little hidden, I can't think of anything really.

It lists all the options when you are going to use Express settings and if you go through the options yourself you see all these steps.

This feature is not among those options you can set during the install process. Wi-Fi sharing, the ad thing, etc, are, but not this.

onken

You guys do know this is exactly how Skype works, right? Geez never run netstat in cmd at the same time as Skype (or least be sitting down when you do...)

Somnid

Honestly I wish most software worked like this. It's just a better allocation of resources. Stuff downloads faster, server errors aren't a big issue. I get that ISPs are dicks, so people need to have options but I also think you should be deprioritized for updates if you don't opt in.

Much better than OSX downloading it's whole update for 45 minutes then failing validation later and starting all over. I had to do that 5 times with the last one, I thought it was a computer issue.

ypo

Because you also receive faster updates from other users?

There is very little hidden, I can't think of anything really.

It lists all the options when you are going to use Express settings and if you go through the options yourself you see all these steps.

No, it's not an option you can change during install. It's on by default. Is that the default defense for every crap they are pulling?

Between this and the ad tracking I refuse to upgrade. Who knows what else MS did that people haven't found yet? Windows 7 is the new XP, it will be used for years and years.

Maybe I'll upgrade in 9 months after the OS has had a thorough cleansing.

KingBroly

Banned
I heard this when I was in line for amiibo this morning, and I was shocked as hell. I was wondering why my internet had been giving me issues since Wednesday.

Future

either you are capped at 1 GB a month of internet or in the 90s but i dont know how this has screw up your experience? The additional freeware is a bad comparison because it lets other companies put their software in without your permission. This is MS distributing the OS through mainly your local network and the internet in the form of bits not megabytes. You have a twisted definition of the word Evil.

This is an option YOU CHOSE when you install Windows..... Did you click the EXPRESS button?

You "CHOSE".....That excuse right there. Giving people the choice is still evil because Microsoft knows what the fuck they are doing. Everyone on this forum including myself will uncheck that box. The other 10 million will not because they don't even understand what it means.

You could make the argument that those people may not notice it's even on. They also may not notice that browser plugin that got secretly installed "by choice" either. It's still bullshit

The better way to do it is to incentivize people to opt IN to things like this. But they won't do that since there is zero incentive and a lower percent of people will do it

stef t97

Worst thing about all this is that Microsoft never mentioned any of this to anyone before the launch of Windows 10. Deceitful fuckers. At least be honest and open to your customers. But no. This is what they think of us, as fucking morons. MS need a kicking.

1. It's only in express settings and I think everything is listed iirc

2. You can change it

3. You're getting faster updates out of it and reduced bandwidth use if you have multiple devices on windows 10

Definitely evil, how dare Microsoft try and explore other distribution methods that work out better for us and them. I can't for the life of me understand why people are outraged about this shit. "Deceitful fuckers" lol

onken

Between this and the ad tracking I refuse to upgrade. Who knows what else MS did that people haven't found yet? Windows 7 is the new XP, it will be used for years and years.

To be fair this is what people said about Windows 2000 when Windows XP came out.

The Cowboy

Generally I'd say this was OK seeing as the OS is free and they gave an option to turn it off, but as others have said - having it on by default when a large part of users will likely have data caps is not right.

Bandwidth is not the problem, all providers here dropped data caps over a decade ago.
The issue of course is that this is turned on by default, that's just not ok.

kaskade

Another option I have to disable. I'm really liking W10 but their privacy stuff is a little scary being that it's on an OS level. It's kind of to be expected in my browser.

Apple has been doing a really good job of being the privacy centric ecosystem.

You "CHOSE".....That excuse right there. Giving people the choice is still evil because Microsoft knows what the fuck they are doing. Everyone on this forum including myself will uncheck that box. The other 10 million will not because they don't even understand what it means.

You could make the argument that those people may not notice it's even on. They also may not notice that browser plugin that got secretly installed "by choice" either. It's still bullshit

The better way to do it is to incentivize people to opt IN to things like this. But they won't do that since there is zero incentive and a lower percent of people will do it

As I said you have a twisted view of evil where your bandwidth is used to distribute software and security updates to users who otherwise wouldnt even bother with them and keep their systems unchecked. The browser plugin has the potential of putting viruses. do you think windows updates and security updates are a virus, its a ridiculous comparison. Its not bullshit its rather innovative to distribute it to as many people as those who want it installed. Most people who i know even non tech chose custom install because you are installing or upgrading a major desktop OS not candy crush.
The updates aren't even that big. they are using bits among 10s of millions of machines, your machine is not taking an entire load beyond a few megabytes a month

strata8

Generally I'd say this was OK seeing as the OS is free and they gave an option to turn it off, but as others have said - having it on by default when a large part of users will likely have data caps is not right.

It would be useless if it wasn't on be default though.

And as I said before it's really unlikely this has any chance of blowing through your data cap. Windows updates just aren't that big, 500MB a month would probably be enough to distribute every update 5 times over.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did you choose custom installation?

Seems a lot of this stuff might be enabled if you choose express instead of custom.

I'm like 99.9% sure you can't disable this during the install. I went through all those options and disabled anything that seemed tracky or otherwise undesirable, and I definitely don't remember seeing anything about this.

I don't have the world's fastest Internet but I don't have a cap. Will this slow down my connection at all?

It only works when you're idle, so not really, but a lot of US internet providers have godawful upload speeds so it might. If you're not cool with it, disable it. I will because I don't see a need for it, but for the masses it'll improve their download speeds without most of them knowing. A lot of W10 settings are designed to build a network of users that "look out" for each other, so to speak. For the general public it's a good thing, for those of us with experience, which is a lot of NeoGAF, there will be concerns and workarounds.

This just means I won't spend half of my yearly trips to the grandparents doing virus definition and system updates.

It should be disabled by default in regions with data caps though.

Also people, this is why you go through setup and don't just use default settings.
This is also why you read documentation.

Another option I have to disable. I'm really liking W10 but their privacy stuff is a little scary being that it's on an OS level. It's kind of to be expected in my browser.

Apple has been doing a really good job of being the privacy centric ecosystem.

Apple is definitely the least intrusive of the three big OS companies, apart from going Linux of course.
Then again, they don't really make any money advertising.

_woLf

Is someone keeping a running list of the tons of shit people should disable when installing this thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom