• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Drifters

Windows 10 Anniversary Update is HERE!!!
Download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

9BhtSvX.png
| Home | Pro | Enterprise |
*Note to NeoGAFFers!!*
The following threads are here for your convience as this thread is mainly to discuss feature subsets and the future upgrades of the Windows 10 platform including integration into: Xbox One, Holo Lens, Skype, Surface line and much, much more. These threads will help you if you're looking for specific help, questions or to show off your new W10 installation!
Troubleshooting your Windows 10 Installation - This thread is a catch all for all Windows 10 troubleshooting including installations, upgrades, clean installs and driver troubleshooting.
Show off your Windows 10 Desktop! - Show off your fancy W10 desktop and customizations!
########### PRIVACY ADVOCATES READ THIS #################
This site will walk you through either an upgrade to Windows 10 and the settings in which NOT to choose or post installation switches to turn OFF if you value your privacy while running Windows 10.
Site: https://fix10.isleaked.com

Windows 10 is here! #UpgradeYourWorld
Code:
System Requirements (full details here: [URL="http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications#sysreqs"]http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications#sysreqs[/URL])

If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet, here’s the minimum hardware you’ll need. 
Read further below to learn about the additional factors 
that impact upgradeability. 
For more information about the free upgrade offer1, please visit the Windows 10 Upgrade page for details.

Latest OS:
    Make sure you are running the latest version of either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
        Don’t know which version you are running? Check here to find out.
        Need to download the latest version? Click here for Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.

Processor:
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

RAM:

1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

Hard disk space:
    16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS

Graphics card:
    DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

Display:
    800x600
Windows 7
From Edition | To Edition
Windows 7 Starter | Windows 10 Home
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
--
Windows 7 Professional | Windows 10 Pro
Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 8
From Edition | To Edition

Windows Phone 8.16 | Windows 10 Mobile

Windows 8.1 | Windows 10 Home
--
Windows 8.1 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro for Students
What is Windows 10?
Windows 10 is a personal computer operating system developed by Microsoft as part of the Windows NT family of operating systems. Officially unveiled in September 2014 following a brief demo at Build 2014, the operating system reached general availability beginning on July 29, 2015.[2] The main goal of Windows 10 is to unify the Windows operating system across multiple Microsoft product families—including PCs, tablets, smartphones, embedded systems, and Xbox One, as well as new products such as Surface Hub and HoloLens—allowing these products to share what Microsoft described as a "universal" application architecture and Windows Store ecosystem. Expanding upon the Windows Runtime platform introduced by Windows 8, this architecture allows applications to be adapted for use between these platforms while sharing common code.
Souce: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10
More info on Windows 10:
Link:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

mackattk

I tried to upgrade my laptop yesterday, but got stuck at 84% copying files. I guess I will wait a few weeks and see if they can get it figured out.

joshschw

Okay question time. Does anyone know of a registry tweak to increase the size of icons in the Win10 taskbar? I feel like I need a magnifying glass to see them, they're like half the size of WIn8 ones. (also start menu font size)

On another note I am not a fan of the blue bar highlighting active ones on the bottom, if I am slouching my monitor cuts them off :(

dLMN8R

Woo!

You should include dLMN8R's "hack" to force an upgrade. Worked instantly vs all the other force methods I tried.

I was having trouble with that, too :( Kept getting "Something happened" errors.

dLMN8R's registry change instantly let my computer be counted as "ready for update".
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0/d695e827-9774-4e10-8972-df8d51a7bb51?auth=1

It's not really a "hack" because it just adding a registry key earlier that would otherwise be automatically added later, to enable the install button in the control panel.

Completed the upgrade on a laptop.
Seems nice so far, but the ElanTech driver for my touchpad is borked, so all of the edge functions (scrolling, zoom, etc) are now broken.
Also noticed sometimes when booting, it will completely hang for about 2 minutes after the logon process, then be perfectly fine. Event logs inconclusive so far...

Still getting "This Driver can't release to failure!!" spam when I boot up my desktop, but I'm fairly certain this doesn't have anything to do with Windows (for one, it's not even proper English).

Erebus

I installed Win 10 at launch on my old Vaio laptop. Privacy issues aside, I have yet to encounter any problem with it. I'll wait a couple of weeks and then proceed to upgrade my desktop PC which still runs Win 7.

The first thing in the OP should be the answer to "I reserved my upgrade almost a year ago. Why is it not updating yet?!"

Raide

Been using Windows 10 as an Insider since October and it is certainly great to see it develop. Outside of a few issues, things have been pretty damn smooth. A fairly large transition for Win 7 and 8 users but well worth the jump!

I tried up grading on day one and had constant crashes, so I rolled back to 7. I'm going to wait a while until they can actually get things running smoothly before trying again.

Okay question time. Does anyone know of a registry tweak to increase the size of icons in the Win10 taskbar? I feel like I need a magnifying glass to see them, they're like half the size of WIn8 ones. (also start menu font size

Agreed, so hard; the miniaturization was doubly apparent when upgrading from 7, at least for me.

kitch9

Banned
Realtek Family GBE ethernet drivers are completely borked after the upgrade. Tested on 3 machines.

They give the impression that they are ok but any network shares will disconnecting the reconnecting in the background.

dLMN8R

I came just to ask this, but I reserved a week ago, how long is the wait time?

There's no guaranteed wait time. Reserved users are getting their upgrades based on a number of factors, including the compatibility state of hardware and software you're using.

If there's some potentially large issue Microsoft knows about in the hardware/software you're using, you may not see a notification for a while until that issue is resolved.

I came just to ask this, but I reserved a week ago, how long is the wait time?

No one knows. It's rolling out in waves and based on various factors. You're not missing out by not having it right now. If you really want it right now, you can force the upgrade with various methods, which should be included in the OP soon.

Been using it since the day it was released, but I've had some problems.

I used the Update Tool to upgrade my existing Windows 7 Home Premium installation, although I had to change the default language of Windows to English (US) in order to make it work (I had it in Spanish(MX)). I had no problem at all during the installation.

Sometimes, after suspending for a while, my laptop's wireless adapter simply banishes from the network connections and I have to restart in order to fix it. Also, I can't access the GUI for IPv4 and IPv6 properties on a VPN, I have to make all changes via PowerShell.

Also, the EPad Driver that comes with my computer has an horrible lag, moving the pointer half a second after I slide in my touchpad. Luckily, I can uninstall it to fix it (although I lose gestures), although every time an update is released, Windows installs it automatically.

Nonetheless, I've noticed a great performance update compared to both Windows 7 (Which this laptop came with originally) and Windows 8.1 in both Games and overall experience. Everything works smoother and faster than in previous OS and everything I've installed is compatible out of the box.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
My boss is all salty because word 2013 is busted for him... he has a tendency to exaggerate but I'm glad he pulled the trigger on his workstation before I did mine because I'm very dependent on Office. I confident this will be addressed in the next update and so is he but people wanting to do real work should probably wait a couple of weeks... or at least back up your OS before doing so... this has little to do with my trust level in MS but rather driver manufacturers can be terrible and its just impossible to tell what will back a driver poop the bed during an upgrade.

The sad news is that my Lynx tablet is reporting the graphics driver/display is not compatible with Win10 even though its a Win9 device natively so that really seems weird to me. If it doesn't sort itself out over the next few weeks, I'll probably have to either force-install or buy a new tablet (I just want a reason to buy a new tablet so I hope it fails).

So far I'm mostly happy with Windows 10. Still getting used to some of the nuances in things they've changed since 8(.1). I've installed it so far on my HTPC at home, and on my work Surface Pro 3. I still have my home desktop and work laptop to go, but there's a lot of backing up and sorting out to do first. I've done all clean installs of the Enterprise version, to limit future issues and to have better control over the less-popular parts Microsoft added in.

My boss is all salty because word 2013 is busted for him... he has a tendency to exaggerate but I'm glad he pulled the trigger on his workstation before I did mine because I'm very dependent on Office.

Busted how? I'm going to install Office 2013 right now on my work Surface to see if it works for me.

Has anyone made a dark theme (dark explorer window with light text) that fits in with the default Windows 10 theme? I'd really like something that does that due to light sensitivity but most deviantart visual styles and stuff are always so tacky looking with custom start menu buttons and changing the interface.

What would be really cool is if they just left everything the way it is except for the explorer windows and all the stuff that has bright white backgrounds. Everything else is good as is.

BadTaste

Skype is eating up a fair amount of RAM since using W10, about 750MB of it. I'm not that bothered but I'm just curious if that's happening to anyone else.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I disabled Cortana through the settings, but there is still a process with Cortana in the name that's constantly running and takes up around 30 MB or more of memory. I can kill it manually, but it immediately pops back up.

Anyone know what this process is and how I can kill it permanently?

rataplein

hi guys, maybe some of you can help me.

i bought an asus netbook a few years ago. it came with windows 7 starter original (i still have the key).

i realised the OS was very limited, and i upgraded to windows 7 ultimate ilegally. i don't even remeber how i did it, but it worked.... very stupid of me.
during the last few years, i never received any message from windows that told me i have an pirated version. windows update work perfectly. it's like i have an official version.

i downloaded the media creation tool, to see if i could install win10 using my original key.. but it didn't work. it just says the key doesen't work.

is there any way to downgrade from windows 7 ultimate to windows 7 starter and then updgrade to windos 10? (without losing all my data or formatting). or any other way to get win10 using my original key?.

thanks in advance!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So far I'm mostly happy with Windows 10. Still getting used to some of the nuances in things they've changed since 8(.1). I've installed it so far on my HTPC at home, and on my work Surface Pro 3. I still have my home desktop and work laptop to go, but there's a lot of backing up and sorting out to do first. I've done all clean installs of the Enterprise version, to limit future issues and to have better control over the less-popular parts Microsoft added in.

Busted how? I'm going to install Office 2013 right now on my work Surface to see if it works for me.

He says he can't run word for more then an hour before it crashes from massive memory usage.

Pro

Has anyone found a fix to the 30 15-30 second blank screen with mouse cursor after the Windows 10 logo on bootup?

Sullichin

Only minor issue I've had is that my DSR isn't working in Nvidia Control Panel. My custom resolutions don't show up in games.

Also I can't pin programs on my other SSD to my start menu but it looks like there's third party tools for that. Stupid that I need to download something to do that though.

This is a massive improvement over Windows 8.1 simply because they nixed all the horrible full-screen, one-thing at a time way of doing things. I hated how changing certain settings would be a full screen "app" with tons of blank space. Window management is excellent now. Everything is very responsive.

It's the nicest looking windows but still ass ugly compared to OSX. Lots of visual inconsistency and Windows font rendering still sucks.

Something Happened. Something. Happened:
OP, is OT a reference to Stephen King's Revival?

Elija2

Okay question time. Does anyone know of a registry tweak to increase the size of icons in the Win10 taskbar? I feel like I need a magnifying glass to see them, they're like half the size of WIn8 ones. (also start menu font size)

Right click taskbar, Properties, uncheck Use small taskbar buttons.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I like it so far, but I am blocked out of using Cortana as my default language isn't English. What a dumb decision.

Anyway, ask Cortana was in my Edge right click options but it seems to have now disappeared...any ideas?

Paganmoon

I like it so far, but I am blocked out of using Cortana as my default language isn't English. What a dumb decision.

Anyway, ask Cortana was in my Edge right click options but it seems to have now disappeared...any ideas?

Ask Cortana is linked to Cortana, so no Cortana no ask. You probably had it before changing some setting that disabled Cortana.

It's fucking dumb, check your feedback app, you'll probably have Cortana as the top feedback.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm really enjoying the upgrade so far. There's a lot to like. I particularly like the XBox integration. Streaming from my XB1 has been pretty flawless so far and the entire layout gives me a good indication on how the new XB1 layout is going to operate.

I just wish I had a clearer picture about how MS wants to use and store my data so I could really open this OS up to all the different services.

My overall impression is positive and all, but why do I need to swipe up on my desktop, when first logging in? That should only be a thing on mobile, touch-screen based devices.

Top feedback for Sweden in the built-in feedback app:
EPOiC4c.png

Who's surprised?

Idiotic decision by Microsoft.

Just like Apple, this takes time and will eventually happen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My overall impression is positive and all, but why do I need to swipe up on my desktop, when first logging in? That should only be a thing on mobile, touch-screen based devices.

I believe Apple gave everyone the option to use Siri in English at its debut. I may be wrong, though.

Werd

Hey quick question that a minute of google gave conflicting results on - when you upgrade from a Windows 7/8.1 key do you get a new product key?

Say 3 years from now I want a new Windows 10 install on a new machine, would I still get Windows 10 free? Have to install Windows 8.1 first?

U2NUMB

Tried streaming my X1 last night for the first time.. was super slick and smooth. Love the live stats you can display as well.

So far overall I am really enjoying W10.

Only thing that bugs the crap out of me is my bluetooth mouse's wheel no longer works... and it is a Microsoft branded mouse!! Says no driver available. Really?

Paganmoon

Yeah, like the localization needed to release the Xbox One in better part of Europe... There is no reason to lock features due to "localization" specially when most of the region getting locked are fluent in English, give us the choice, let me decide if I want to use it in English or not at all. It's a dumb decision, and just cause Apple might have done the same, doesn't mean Microsoft should be as dumb about it.

Besides, I'm a long time Windows Phone user, still without Cortana there as well, 15 months after release... but you know, these things, they take time...

If I don't have Xbox One, is there any use for the Xbox app? None of my PC games show up there at all.

The DVR feature is quite handy.
Pressing Windows Key + G opens up the OS level recorder.

Its just a shame it seems to have worked once for me and then tells me there's been a problem and to try again later every time after that.

Anyone else seeing that error?

diaspora

The DVR feature is quite handy.
Pressing Windows Key + G opens up the OS level recorder.

Its just a shame it seems to have worked once for me and then tells me there's been a problem and to try again later every time after that.

Anyone else seeing that error?

IIRC it should would on almost every game windowed but fullscreen is still spotty.

Ran rp

I'm not sure if I saw it here or somewhere else but I remember seeing a tweak that moved all the volume sliders in the volume mixer to the main volume pop-up. Anyone know what it is?

Top Bottom