• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

wtn

Neo Member
Upgraded Alienware Alpha and Acer 5820TG laptop.

Reverted the Alpha back to 8.1 as it took longer to boot and I was getting random pauses.

For the Acer:

Positives.

Touchpad driver has been updated and is superior to what it was before, with much greater consistency on two finger scrolling in particular.

"Smarter windows" eg, Firefox with two thirds of the screen open, snapping a new program to the opposite corner resizes it to use the available space instead of taking half the screen as in W7.

Better battery information and options from the taskbar.

Virtual desktops.

Neutral.

Boot time is around the same as the clean W7 install that was installed prior to upgrading.

Negative.

Battery life is down by around an hour when browsing over wifi, from 6+ to around 5.

Idle RAM is 1.4GB compared to 980-990MB in W7.

Overall, I have not found any reasons to revert to W7 yet.

Hence....

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

this image

right in the feels

dLMN8R

You can resize the tiles, that's not what I'm after. I want to resize the start menu so it's closer to the tiles, here, I made a GIF. It won't go any smaller for some reason, which leaves loads of ugly dead space.

NarrowTidyArrowcrab.gif

You can't horizontally resize smaller than that because the Start tiles grid is intentionally 3 medium / 6 small tiles wide.

Every resize "snaps" to exactly that width. If you could suddenly resize it to be 2 or 3 or some other arbitrary width of small tiles you're introducing a crapload of other problems, both from a technical implementation and practical design perspective.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You can't horizontally resize smaller than that because the Start tiles grid is intentionally 3 medium / 6 small tiles wide.

"You can't run Metro Modern apps in windows because they are intentionally full screen"

Makes more sense to build the paths where people are walking than wondering why they're walking on the grass instead of the paths :p

I've been a Mac OS user for the last five or so years and decided to jump back into Windows with this release.

So far, the only thing I'm missing is the ability to quick switch between virtual desktops. On Mac I can set it up to swipe left or right with four fingers to switch between them. In Windows 10 my workflow right now would be swipe up with three fingers, mouse over to the other desktop, and click. Is there a faster way that I'm missing?

I've been a Mac OS user for the last five or so years and decided to jump back into Windows with this release.

So far, the only thing I'm missing is the ability to quick switch between virtual desktops. On Mac I can set it up to swipe left or right with four fingers to switch between them. In Windows 10 my workflow right now would be swipe up with three fingers, mouse over to the other desktop, and click. Is there a faster way that I'm missing?

You can use the keyboard to switch between them with CTRL + WIN Key + Left/Right arrow keys

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Any beautiful, intelligent and sexy Windows users (practically all of you) have a 2013 era Gen 2 Atom-based Windows tablet with integrated Intel graphics running windows 8.1 that they successfully upgraded? Did you have issues? How about the performance and tablet experience on Win 10? Do you miss charms?

Drifters

Any beautiful, intelligent and sexy Windows users (practically all of you) have a 2013 era Gen 2 Atom-based Windows tablet with integrated Intel graphics running windows 8.1 that they successfully upgraded? Did you have issues? How about the performance and tablet experience on Win 10? Do you miss charms?
Charms were really stupid compared to the action center. That said, there's been several people who've updated on the Venue 8 have had nothing but praise.

Joeku

So if I have a Windows 8 key but no OS installed on a machine, do I have to install 8 on it then upgrade to 10 or is there any way for me to just get the 10 installer with only the key?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So if I have a Windows 8 key but no OS installed on a machine, do I have to install 8 on it then upgrade to 10 or is there any way for me to just get the 10 installer with only the key?

Pretty sure you have to install Windows 8 first and then upgrade to Windows 10. You can do a clean install of 10 afterwards.

Metroid

Okay, got another Problem. My wifi simply does not work. Installed new drivers, sometimes it works, but most other times especially after restarts. It is connected but I can not acess the internet, giving me an exclamation mark. Any ideas?

GavinGT

Banned
Okay, got another Problem. My wifi simply does not work. Installed new drivers, sometimes it works, but most other times especially after restarts. It is connected but I can not acess the internet, giving me an exclamation mark. Any ideas?

Despite what the thread title would indicate, we should really use the other thread for support questions.

Drifters

Despite what the thread title would indicate, we should really use the other thread for support questions.

Hey guys, I indicated in the OP that if you're having issues to head over to the troubleshooting thread which is more lively with these types of questions.

Thanks!

Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055135

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Initially I just upgraded from 8.1 to check it out but it felt really slow. Boot times were much longer and menu's were lagging. Just wasn't smooth at all. Did a clean install and it's running great the last couple days.

I honestly didn't have any major issues with 8.1 but I'm glad I upgraded to 10. Much more simple and easy to use. Also not sure if I'm imagining it but some games feel like they are running better (GTA V for example).

Scotch

Finally got the Windows 10 Upgrade icon to show up in Windows 7. My problem was I had uninstalled Internet Explorer in Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Apparently you need Internet Explorer 11 for the icon to show up. Just an FYI for anyone with the same problem.

Drifters

Finally got the Windows 10 Upgrade icon to show up in Windows 7. My problem was I had uninstalled Internet Explorer in Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Apparently you need Internet Explorer 11 for the icon to show up. Just an FYI for anyone with the same problem.

Wow really? Well good to know!!

Luigiv

Ok I just tried setting up windows speech recognition. Shit is hilariously abysmal. Like I remember using speech recognition tech back in the 90's that worked better than this.

nilbog21

Banned
Does anyone know how to get my background to stop alternating? I have 2 different backgrounds for my dual monitors and they are constantly alternating

also
3b6659161cb96cd721c5f673007c2aa6.png

Most used: Get Skype? what a scam lol

Paganmoon

Does anyone know how to get my background to stop alternating? I have 2 different backgrounds for my dual monitors and they are constantly alternating

also

Right-click desktop -> personalize -> background -> picture or slideshow. (in the dropdown menu)

change it to "picture", since it's probably on slideshow for you.

Edit: might not be called "picture" in the dropdown, I'm translating from the Swedish version I have at work. If you still can't find the option, I'll check again when I get home where I run it in English.

GavinGT

Banned

That shit is useless. Notice that when you pin an app, it disappears from the Most Used list. So the list should really be called "Most used but not pinned".

For me, it's a bunch of shit that I clicked on once.

Generally speaking I'm happy with 10 but of four machines I've put it on not one has been without frustrating bugs. Had to refresh a few of them multiple times.

I had some initial issues with mapping a network drive on my W10 laptop. The network drive is housed in my W7 Desktop, and my W10 didn't have permissions to access my W7 network drive, even though I totally had it working in W8.
I restarted both computers to no avail. Then, when I restarted my router, it worked. I don't know much about networking tech, so I don't know why that solved it, but it did.

So, word to the wise, if you're having issues connecting to a network drive, try restarting your router. I don't know why it works, but it did for me.

Peterthumpa

Has anybody noticed that when switching from a program to another, the taskbar buttons actually animate with a "color fill" motion?

Strangely, this only works with non-Nvidia cards as far as I've noticed. Tested with Intel integrated graphics, works like a charm.

Ran rp

Whats wrong with Groove music that's built into the OS?

I barely touched it but I flicked through all the settings/features and it seemed bareboned as hell. I didn't let it add any of my music to its library though and just opened a few files into it because I didn't want it to screw anything up. If you want a desktop music player on par with iTunes & Zune/Xbox players then MusicBee is perfect. With iTunes CPU usage would constantly shoot up to and sit at 25%-35% when playing music or when it was simply idling while MusicBee stays around 1%. MB also lets you display artist info and photos in a similar way to the Zune/Xbox players, and almost every component of the player can be adjusted to your liking. I believe it also supports most lossless audio formats if that's important to you.

But the main draw for me is still how light and speedy it is compared to iTunes.

Rosur

Whats wrong with Groove music that's built into the OS?

I've been using this and quite like (though just playing through the list of songs only seems to work in a playlist or when an album is selected is annoying).

Also lack of ripping CD option :( (so still have to keep media monkey installed for that).

nilbog21

Banned
Right-click desktop -> personalize -> background -> picture or slideshow. (in the dropdown menu)

change it to "picture", since it's probably on slideshow for you.

Edit: might not be called "picture" in the dropdown, I'm translating from the Swedish version I have at work. If you still can't find the option, I'll check again when I get home where I run it in English.

it's set to picture

Perfect thread subtitle.

All 3 of the machines I have Win10 on right now exhibit at least one major bug. Yup, this is definitely a new version of Windows. It's fun to play with though so I don't mind too much, especially since none of those 3 machines is my gaming PC or primary laptop.

Vyer

any way to condense the notification/date area when moving the taskbar to the side? I have to do this to one of the laptops at work and that section is spread out, taking up like 30% of the bar on this 13" screen.

As a minimum, it doesn't have a freaking volume control. Or maybe I'm blind.

Press the speaker button next to skip forward and shuffle and a volume slider pops up.

PSY・S;174073464 said:
I barely touched it but I flicked through all the settings/features and it seemed bareboned as hell. I didn't let it add any of my music to its library though and just opened a few files into it because I didn't want it to screw anything up. If you want a desktop music player on par with iTunes & Zune/Xbox players then MusicBee is perfect. With iTunes CPU usage would constantly shoot up to and sit at 25%-35% when playing music or when it was simply idling while MusicBee stays around 1%. MB also lets you display artist info and photos in a similar way to the Zune/Xbox players, and almost every component of the player can be adjusted to your liking. I believe it also supports most lossless audio formats if that's important to you.

But the main draw for me is still how light and speedy it is compared to iTunes.

Yeah downloaded musicbee to try out and the cyan version of that metro theme and set it up to look like groove layout wise, I like it.

clav

Looks like formatting files on to a CD feature was removed or not working.

"Directory name is invalid" upon insertion of blank disks.

jerry113

Banned
I'm liking the look of some of these native win10 apps, but is it just me or is the calendar app a little limited in functionality?

In the calendar app, is there a search function where I can find events based on keywords, 'ala google calendar?

Or is that feature just absent?

Top Bottom