• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

I had to revert back to my previous version after upgrading to CU.

I was unable to save anything in Chrome (right click-save as would crash the browser). I was also getting random crashes in other programs if I would go File-Open.
I'm wondering if you did a refresh of the OS after the upgrade that the issues would go away. Have it save your documents and programs.

After upgrading to 10 from 8.1 I had all sorts of dumb little problems (and some big ones) but the in place refresh cleared them all up for me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My PC updated to the Creator's Edition and everything seems to be fine except that my screensaver no longer activates, at all. I found the settings which were moved under the Lock Screen section for some bizarre reason, and my settings are all unchanged and correct, the screensaver should kick on after five minutes, BUT it never does.

I'll bet the old bug of the connected input devices is back, where having a joypad or HOTAS controllers plugged in prevents the screensaver from ever starting. I'm going to try unplugging everything to see if that lets it start...

Pakkidis

My PC updated to the Creator's Edition and everything seems to be fine except that my screensaver no longer activates, at all. I found the settings which were moved under the Lock Screen section for some bizarre reason, and my settings are all unchanged and correct, the screensaver should kick on after five minutes, BUT it never does.

I'll bet the old bug of the connected input devices is back, where having a joypad or HOTAS controllers plugged in prevents the screensaver from ever starting. I'm going to try unplugging everything to see if that lets it start...

Let me know what happens because I got the same problem.

I'm getting all kinds of jank like when I first updated to the Anniversary Update. Dragging files on the desktop can randomly freeze the cursor or it's just insane lag for something so trivial.
So I assume anyone on 1920x1080 resolution now has a large gap at the bottom of their desktop where icons could sit? And seemingly for no reason too. It's even more comically broken on 2560x1440 displays.
Look at this!
FZuyrf5.gif

Please fix.

Friend got this when trying to update

So he did, and now he's getting memory errors. I turned my updates off so I don't have to deal with this, no way I'll be the guinea pig for windows updates.

Tell him to do an in-place reset of the OS, leaving his documents and programs intact. MAY clear up the issue.

drotahorror

Tell him to do an in-place reset of the OS, leaving his documents and programs intact. MAY clear up the issue.

Seems the memory thing may have been a game specific issue. Still though, windows telling him to uninstall steam.....I saw a steam thread about it too, several people got that pop up.

I decided to update last night because it wouldn't let me download my windows store games. No issues myself.

petran79

Banned
After the update I cant login to Xbox Store app. Error 409,try again later.
Neither Windows Store sign in window appears.
Prior to the update I was logged in automatically.
I use an offline account. Wise decision not to buy any games

Every update always messes up the Number Lock on startup for me. This time, the registry trick isn't working for me. Is there anything else I could do to get the number lock to stay on? I can see it turning on during the boot process, but Windows must turn it off at some point.

Totally wrong thread, but I've been looking into laptop shopping. The other day I looked at used and refurbished options from a different thread but then came across more recent pcs. I don't care about touch screens or gaming but want something with very decent specs/ use as a second desktop. I just saw this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAZFCV2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I guess my budget is a thousand. I figure I may get something similar or better than the above at a fraction of the price. Any tips?

It's been over a year since Extensions came to Edge and I counted 29 extensions on my Windows Store. This is so embarrassing. Is there any acknowledgement that this is sort of a problem or are we supposed to #WaitForBuild?

Pixieking

Banned
Not sure if relevant although seeing this problem.

I noticed dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth always errors out. Even tried with a local source /driveletter:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess flag.

sfc /scannow completes successfully + repairs from Windows Update if needed.

Hm.

Yeah, there's an issue with the image/databse integrity of CU, involving 'flight signing package', which DISM searches for but does not actually exist. Due to this, DISM always errors out as it's looking for a Source with the 'flight signing package' in it, but it's non-existent, so...

Essentially, DISM is broken, though some people have had success using Offline source?

This thread has more info: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image-47.html#post1010412

Since upgrading to CU, I've had issues with the Start Menu not responding to mouse or Windows key, and a slow memory leak on shellexperiencehost.exe, though it seems to be happening less and less nowadays. CU definitely needed more time in the oven.

jstripes

Banned
Ok, I don't have much personal experience with Windows 10, outside of installing it on my wife's laptop. My workplace is primarily Windows 7, and I just set up a new Windows 10 PC for reception, what I want to know is this:

WHY THE FUCK IS IT AUTOMATICALLY BACKGROUND DOWNLOADING GAMES AND OTHER APPS I DON'T WANT ON A COMPUTER FOR A RECEPTIONIST?

I even deleted the "Get Microsoft Office" app, because I had already installed Office, and the next day it had re-downloaded it and put it back in the Start menu.

Jesus Fucking Christ, Microsoft.

dLMN8R

Ok, I don't have much personal experience with Windows 10, outside of installing it on my wife's laptop. My workplace is primarily Windows 7, and I just set up a new Windows 10 PC for reception, what I want to know is this:

WHY THE FUCK IS IT AUTOMATICALLY BACKGROUND DOWNLOADING GAMES AND OTHER APPS I DON'T WANT ON A COMPUTER FOR A RECEPTIONIST?

I even deleted the "Get Microsoft Office" app, because I had already installed Office, and the next day it had re-downloaded it and put it back in the Start menu.

Jesus Fucking Christ, Microsoft.

I mean, if you're setting up a computer for business, then you should be following ordinary management practices to configure it just how you want for a business?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/start-taskbar-lockscreen

jstripes

Banned
I mean, if you're setting up a computer for business, then you should be following ordinary management practices to configure it just how you want for a business?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/start-taskbar-lockscreen

They gave me a new Lenovo to unbox set up, and we have no practices in regards to Windows 10 here, so I'm in the wild.

But even so, it's fucking demented that Windows 10 "Professional" downloads and installs games all by itself.

I'm currently in the process of installing Windows 10 administrative templates on our domain controller.

gamz

They gave me a new Lenovo to unbox set up, and we have no practices in regards to Windows 10 here, so I'm in the wild.

But even so, it's fucking demented that Windows 10 "Professional" downloads and installs games all by itself.

I'm currently in the process of installing Windows 10 administrative templates on our domain controller.

You aren't using a image?

dLMN8R

Windows 10 Pro is targeted to professionals of all types, and thus it comes with the default experience.

From there, businesses have full control over how to set it up, restrict features, and configure it to your heart's content.

jstripes

Banned
You aren't using a image?

I work at a non-profit. I just use what they give me, which changes all the time.

I just migrated our mail server from Windows Server 2003 / Exchange 2007 to Windows Server 2008 R2 / Exchange 2010, for example.

I'm trying to change practices here, but it's slow going.

Windows 10 Pro is targeted to professionals of all types, and thus it comes with the default experience.

From there, businesses have full control over how to set it up, restrict features, and configure it to your heart's content.
I just think it's pure idiocy to automatically download and install games on an OS aimed at professionals. Not even my iPhone does something like that.

Mr_Zombie

Still, the problem is that there are so many useless apps that are installed (or queued to be downloaded) on default after you first start Windows 10. A picture browser, video player, music player or internet browser I can understand; but why does the system installs (or at least puts placeholder tiles on the start menu) for games like Minecraft or various apps like 3d browser, Get Office, Get Skype, Facebook, Twitter and other shit? I remember when I was participating in the Insider Preview program, before MS implemented that system remembers which apps you uninstalled previously, each upgrade was followed with uninstalling a couple (dozen?) apps; and that was excluding games that weren't present in the Preview versions of the system, but are there in the commercial version. There's a reason those things are called bloatware and are widely despised on various Android roms made by Samsung, Huawei and other companies. Why Microsoft decided it's a good idea to follow that trend is beyond me.

jstripes

Banned
Still, the problem is that there are so many useless apps that are installed (or queued to be downloaded) on default after you first start Windows 10. A picture browser, video player, music player or internet browser I can understand; but why does the system installs (or at least puts placeholder tiles on the start menu) for games like Minecraft or various apps like 3d browser, Get Office, Get Skype, Facebook, Twitter and other shit? I remember when I was participating in the Insider Preview program, before MS implemented that system remembers which apps you uninstalled previously, each upgrade was followed with uninstalling a couple (dozen?) apps; and that was excluding games that weren't present in the Preview versions of the system, but are there in the commercial version. There's a reason those things are called bloatware and are widely despised on various Android roms made by Samsung, Huawei and other companies. Why Microsoft decided it's a good idea to follow that trend is beyond me.

$$$ + "What are you gonna do? Switch to Linux?"

(One of our departments is currently evaluating Chromebooks.)

clav

Some weird upgrade behavior on some 14393 setups.

CU updates to 15063.0 and none of the cumulative updates on first boot, which is bad since vanilla version has a lot of bugs especially for upgrades. All network connections may not work. If wireless is available, signals may be weak.

I'm sure you guys have your data that suggests otherwise and everything, but I can't imagine any professional who wants Candy Crush or most of the other apps pre-installed.

Is there any way to disable auto "correction" when typing on windows 10? I can't find anything either on the language or Cortana settings.

Edit, just found it. Totally forgot about the typing settings under devices.

KyleCross

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm trying to protect my privacy by deactivating settings but Windows Defender isn't letting me. I cannot turn any of Windows Defenders settings off. When I click disable a windows prompt comes up asking for permission which I agree to, but then the setting instantly flips back to enabled. I'm at the very least trying to disable automatic sample submission. I'm an administrator too.

Besides from that, I'm really disappointed that you can't scale applications up for higher resolutions in 10. That is why I upgraded, I wanted to start using 4k resolution. But display scaling only scales up OS features and certain apps like browsers. All other apps are impossibly tiny to use.

dLMN8R

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm trying to protect my privacy by deactivating settings but Windows Defender isn't letting me. I cannot turn any of Windows Defenders settings off. When I click disable a windows prompt comes up asking for permission which I agree to, but then the setting instantly flips back to enabled. I'm at the very least trying to disable automatic sample submission. I'm an administrator too.

Besides from that, I'm really disappointed that you can't scale applications up for higher resolutions in 10. That is why I upgraded, I wanted to start using 4k resolution. But display scaling only scales up OS features and certain apps like browsers. All other apps are impossibly tiny to use.

Why do you think disabling Windows Defender will protect your privacy.

Kssio_Aug

I've downloaded the CU update and the thing I first noticed was an icon in the taskbar with a yellow triangle saying I should activate the Cloud Protection. I'm not interested in activating it though.

Should I activate? If not, how can I disable that message?

derFeef

I wasn't interested a single bit by this Creators Update, but it did download when I restarted the computer now... Maybe I should have deactivated the system updates for a while.

Have not seen a single change that makes my experience better. Actually, the only change I actually see is a icon in the taskbar with a yellow triangle saying I should activate the Cloud Protection, when I'm not interested.

I hope not to have bigger problems. F* this garbage.

Disable the warnings. Garbage solved.

I wasn't interested a single bit by this Creators Update, but it did download when I restarted the computer now... Maybe I should have deactivated the system updates for a while.

Have not seen a single change that makes my experience better. Actually, the only change I actually see is a icon in the taskbar with a yellow triangle saying I should activate the Cloud Protection, when I'm not interested.

I hope not to have bigger problems. F* this garbage.

Your mileage may vary here, but...

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/109499/best-improvements-windows-10-creators-update

Personally, the night light option is probably the thing that's most interesting from that for me, but it's also worth noting that even though you're not seeing some sort of massively improved in your face experience doesn't mean there isn't a shitload of improvements under the hood.

You say you hope to not have bigger problems, so it's *possible* at least that you might have less with this update. And I always recommend to folks that they can always do an in-place OS reset without destroying their files or having to reinstall programs. If you've got a system that you originally have upgraded from pre-10, it's not a bad idea to do this since I've seen it clear up a lot of weird issues the upgrade process cause with some systems.

The face recognition is mega scary in the new photos app. I'm legit floored on how it mashed together some of the photos.

But the app runs terribly bad on the SP3, and takes forever to index the photo (why not all the indexing happens on the cloud and the app just use the indexed data?)

Kssio_Aug

Disable the warnings. Garbage solved.

How can I disable it?

Your mileage may vary here, but...

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/109499/best-improvements-windows-10-creators-update

Personally, the night light option is probably the thing that's most interesting from that for me, but it's also worth noting that even though you're not seeing some sort of massively improved in your face experience doesn't mean there isn't a shitload of improvements under the hood.

You say you hope to not have bigger problems, so it's *possible* at least that you might have less with this update. And I always recommend to folks that they can always do an in-place OS reset without destroying their files or having to reinstall programs. If you've got a system that you originally have upgraded from pre-10, it's not a bad idea to do this since I've seen it clear up a lot of weird issues the upgrade process cause with some systems.

I've been using it for 4 days now, and I haven't experience any my issue. The only thing that happened is that PotPlayer stopped working after the update (I tried resinstalling the program and the video drivers, but it didn't work). I'm using a different player though, and things are fine.

Is anyone having issues with network connections? My wi-fi is on, can connect on my other devices, but on my laptop, it says no connections are available. This started a few days ago. Restarting helps sometimes but not always

Is anyone having issues with network connections? My wi-fi is on, can connect on my other devices, but on my laptop, it says no connections are available. This started a few days ago. Restarting helps sometimes but not always

Tried enabling and disabling the adapter? Right click diagnose? Reinstall drivers?

Might be worth checking with support from the manufacturer in case there are any known issues or updates you can install. To me it sounds like it could be some sort of driver issue.

MS's War on Control Panel continues.

Right-clicking Start menu no longer has Control Panel, it's been replaced with Settings as of Creators Update. Now I have to permanently pin Control Panel to my Start Menu. I'm sure this is going to accomplish a whole fucking lot considering Settings still is missing most of what Control Panel has.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Right-clicking Start menu no longer has Control Panel, it's been replaced with Settings as of Creators Update. Now I have to permanently pin Control Panel to my Start Menu. I'm sure this is going to accomplish a whole fucking lot considering Settings still is missing most of what Control Panel has.

I really dont understand why they are doing this

Pixieking

Banned

Genuinely didn't notice this change...

Because I've had Control Panel pinned to Start Menu since I installed Win10 a couple of years ago.

s_mirage

I really dont understand why they are doing this

Because unifying everything under the same UI is more important to Microsoft than the actual functionality of the OS? The ability to change UI font sizes is gone too as of this update. Now you have to resort to editing the registry. Why have they done this? Apparently because the font size options don't work with the new UI elements, so instead of fixing that they'd rather remove functionality from the classic Windows side of the OS.

Matush

Hey guys, first time in the OT, hope you can help out. I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10, but there seem to be a problem with several things.

First off, I cant screen mirror to my TV at all. As soon as my TV is found, Windows just connects and connects but nothing happens.

Another thing is, there is some sort of interference with my Bluetooth Sony speaker, as soon as it connects, my internet goes down or is being interrupted. Anybody can help out?

Because unifying everything under the same UI is more important to Microsoft than the actual functionality of the OS? The ability to change UI font sizes is gone too as of this update. Now you have to resort to editing the registry. Why have they done this? Apparently because the font size options don't work with the new UI elements, so instead of fixing that they'd rather remove functionality from the classic Windows side of the OS.

yea i dont get MS, that is why i am still on windows 7 and prefer it.

After looking at several options I gave in to an open box laptop from Newegg. Everything was in perfect condition, accessories in their original wrappers, etc. I was greeted with the welcome screen to connect to the internet, make a username, fingerprint and register the laptop with my email.

I gave it a spin and left it to rest but came back to see that the computer had two usernames, one mine and the other called 'A.' I figured that there would be only one username since the computer booted with a welcome screen. Likewise, I thought Newegg would wipe out the drives.

Windows 10 has recovery options, should I give these a go just in case this computer isn't a hundred percent clean? Mind you, computer came with Windows 10 pro, but I don't have any serial key or an image of the OS in case any of that is needed.

After looking at several options I gave in to an open box laptop from Newegg. Everything was in perfect condition, accessories in their original wrappers, etc. I was greeted with the welcome screen to connect to the internet, make a username, fingerprint and register the laptop with my email.

I gave it a spin and left it to rest but came back to see that the computer had two usernames, one mine and the other called 'A.' I figured that there would be only one username since the computer booted with a welcome screen. Likewise, I thought Newegg would wipe out the drives.

Windows 10 has recovery options, should I give these a go just in case this computer isn't a hundred percent clean? Mind you, computer came with Windows 10 pro, but I don't have any serial key or an image of the OS in case any of that is needed.
Yes. Use the built-in refresh tools to revert to a clean Windows installation.

Kssio_Aug

They're going in full force with this unification stuff. At first I thought it could be interesting, at this point however I'd prefer they just stop pursuing it. I kinda fear for the future of Windows desktop platform... little by little it seems it's going to shit.

Top Bottom