• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

FyreWulff

So I just popped a DVD into a friend's computer... and does Win10 seriously not support DVDs natively?

No Windows has for DVD movies. You can either pay for it in the Winstore or use one of the apps out there to do it for free (modern computers are so fast it's actually possible to just bruteforce the CSS protection in a few seconds)

if you ever saw a Windows computer play DVDs out of the box, it was an OEM build that installed the DVD software : p

Dr.Acula

Banned
Thx for the replies, I tried VLC but it didn't work -that was the winstore version, apparently if you get the package it works, the winstore version doesn't have the codec. I coulda worked it but my friend is weird about anyone trying to "fix" the computer.

aaaaa0

Thx for the replies, I tried VLC but it didn't work -that was the winstore version, apparently if you get the package it works, the winstore version doesn't have the codec. I coulda worked it but my friend is weird about anyone trying to "fix" the computer.

I wouldn't be surprised the WinStore version doesn't work on DVDs.

DeCSS is still technically illegal in the US, and thus would probably have to be stripped from anything on the WinStore. Get the desktop Win32 version direct from videolan.org.

Mr_Zombie

So Windows 10 is pushing the frosty glass on system apps and I'm not sure I like it. The effect is nice when it's subtle or used sparsely, not when it covers the majority of app's visible space, like in current Calc version (available in current Windows 10 version) or Windows Store (available on the fast ring)

I worry that the clean (although boring) look will be replaced with the busy effects everywhere look.

I don't like everything glassed too, but keep in mind that those UIs are still an work in progress, well actually even the language itself is in wok in progress, they are releasing it in waves so apps experimenting what works and doesn't, and also to gather consumer and developer feedback.

Mr_Zombie

I understand that they are experimenting, but I don't like the idea that someone even thought that applying the glass effect on the whole background is the good use case of the effect. I'm just worried that Microsoft first implemented various effects, and now randomly try what to do with them without any clear design guidelines.

At build they did showed many design guidelines, and even a very good, and much bettern than what we have now, store design with some nice animations and just a minimal use of glass when rolling the page over. And at Build they said that that was actually an working app, not just some concept.

I'm not much worried, but all the stuff they showed at Build had great design.

At build they did showed many design guidelines, and even a very good, and much bettern than what we have now, store design with some nice animations and just a minimal use of glass when rolling the page over. And at Build they said that that was actually an working app, not just some concept.

I'm not much worried, but all the stuff they showed at Build had great design.
They don't have fixed design guidelines for the Fluent Design Language yet.

Using the Surface as a tablet keeps being frustrating. There's no Amazon Video app on the Store, Edge doesn't work either for whatever reason and I have to switch to Firefox or Chrome, which is annoying, because they're terrible with touch.

They are building it. But like everything with windows 10, they are taking feedback into account.

For example the current store with a full window translucency breaks their guidelines on when to use acrylic

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/style/acrylic

So they don't have proper design guidelines in place yet, gotcha.

I fucking hate this piece of shit OS fucking blight on my life I will never ever give MS money ever again for anything I hope they all burn in hell. Even if the xbone had games I would never buy it simply because fuck you microsoft fuck you fuck you fuck you for windows 10.

I fucking hate this piece of shit OS fucking blight on my life I will never ever give MS money ever again for anything I hope they all burn in hell. Even if the xbone had games I would never buy it simply because fuck you microsoft fuck you fuck you fuck you for windows 10.

Reasonable.

Come on now.

ever since the most recent update, i've seen random command prompts flash then close.

I've run windows defender and it hasn't seen anything and I can't seem to spot any malware programs.

Is this just what the new windows update is doing, constantly downloading and installing its microsoft programs? I've uninstalled skype twice now and its back again =/

ever since the most recent update, i've seen random command prompts flash then close.

I've run windows defender and it hasn't seen anything and I can't seem to spot any malware programs.

Is this just what the new windows update is doing, constantly downloading and installing its microsoft programs? I've uninstalled skype twice now and its back again =/

I noticed that on my sister's pc.

Using the Surface as a tablet keeps being frustrating. There's no Amazon Video app on the Store, Edge doesn't work either for whatever reason and I have to switch to Firefox or Chrome, which is annoying, because they're terrible with touch.

Windows is a shitty tablet OS. (t's a shitty OS in general but everyone in the Windows 10 thread knows this.) I never disconnect my Type Cover from my Surface Pro 2 because it's basically unusable as a pure tablet. If I treat it as a laptop with a detachable keyboard it actually makes sense and works fine for my purposes.

Edge is trash. Use Chrome and just keep it in Desktop mode, which is hilariously counter-intuitive but Windows is a shitty tablet OS so oh well.

If you're looking for actual Android-style apps, one option is to dual-boot into Android.
http://www.jide.com/remixos

Windows is a shitty tablet OS. (t's a shitty OS in general but everyone in the Windows 10 thread knows this.) I never disconnect my Type Cover from my Surface Pro 2 because it's basically unusable as a pure tablet. If I treat it as a laptop with a detachable keyboard it actually makes sense and works fine for my purposes.

Edge is trash. Use Chrome and just keep it in Desktop mode, which is hilariously counter-intuitive but Windows is a shitty tablet OS so oh well.

If you're looking for actual Android-style apps, one option is to dual-boot into Android.
http://www.jide.com/remixos

I only use my 2-in-1 as a tablet occasionally, but other than being pretty heavy it works just fine.

And Edge is pretty solid. Quick and a lot less resource intensive than Chrome.

Kssio_Aug

Is there any video editor for Windows 10? I want to mix some gaming videos together but I don't know any good and freeprogram to do that, and I'm not aware if W10 has something like this built-in.

BubbaMc

Windows 8.1 browser was the best tablet browser I've ever used. Never tried the Windows 10 version, but I'd imagine it's much the same.

ReBirFh

I'm really satisfied with Windows 10, just bought a cheap shitty notebook from a friend with windows 8.1 and was able to update and ran flawlessly with windows 10, and on my main PC, kinda old too (i5 3750k onboard intel graphics), windows 10 run with no issues.

Windows 8.1 browser was the best tablet browser I've ever used. Never tried the Windows 10 version, but I'd imagine it's much the same.
It's not. Not sure if it will ever be exactly the same as win10 renegates the gestures even on tablets.

I only use my 2-in-1 as a tablet occasionally, but other than being pretty heavy it works just fine.

And Edge is pretty solid. Quick and a lot less resource intensive than Chrome.
Not so sure about that. Open a few tabs and Edge tends to halt where other browsers won't. Some sites inexplicably will also make edge hang for a few seconds.

Plus the extension gap is really big.

Kssio_Aug

Is the night light working properly for everyone else?

Here, right now, besides not being in the time I setted to turn it on (it should be off now) I'm getting the orange tone. If I go there, and disable and enable it again, it goes back to normal.

Is the night light working properly for everyone else?

Here, right now, besides not being in the time I setted to turn it on (it should be off now) I'm getting the orange tone. If I go there, and disable and enable it again, it goes back to normal.
Works fine for me, but I haven't messed around with the timing settings. I just turn it on from the action center when I start winding down for the evening.

maeh2k

They don't have fixed design guidelines for the Fluent Design Language yet.

It's not like anyone's building software for it.

In the end they just have to stick closely to Material design and hope that people will build PWAs using Material design, thereby accidentally building Fluent apps for Windows.

Gattsu25

Banned
Has anyone been getting microstutters while watching videos for the past few weeks? Starting around two weeks ago?

I thought this was just my issue but talked to a few people at work today and we all have been experiencing it, all each of us thought it was just our issue.

stn

Need some help, please! In Windows 7, if you had two folders with the same name, you were allowed to merge the contents into one. In Windows 10, it does not offer this option. I can either replace the files or just skip all together.

Is there a way to enable the option again? :)

LoveCake

I had to restart my computer as I had not done so for about a week and yet again Edge lost all my bookmarks/favorites :mad:

It keeps doing this every so often!

I now have all of them on notepad so I can copy and paste them all back in, but it's becoming a pain now, it remembers all my saved passwords, saved autocomplete text and also the bookmarked/favorite URL's.

Why is there not a way to back them up, I did try once copying the folder and keeping it as a back up and when it happened again swapping the folders but it didn't work.

I have whatever the latest Windows 10 Home version is before the creators update, I was doing some cleaning up ready for it, why isn't there a back-up account system like Chrome or Firefox has, I still use Chrome and Firefox but I use Edge for the sites I use all of the time as it's lower on power etc.

I have never swore on GAF before, but this is really starting to piss me off now :(

maeh2k

I had to restart my computer as I had not done so for about a week and yet again Edge lost all my bookmarks/favorites :mad:

It keeps doing this every so often!

It loses my open tabs from time to time, as well. Now I'm using the 'save tabs' feature more. This might help.

However, I now have two saved tabs that I can no longer get rid off. If I remove them, they are back once I restart the browser. Does anyone know where the saved tabs are stored?

Creators Update. What a shitshow.

Deleted my network adapter. Deleted my ability to use a PIN. Can't assign proper administrative rights to clear the NGC folder.

For fucks sake.

JCG

I delayed the Anniversary update for several months and it looks like doing the same with the Creators update would also be wise.

Pixieking

Banned
Need some help, please! In Windows 7, if you had two folders with the same name, you were allowed to merge the contents into one. In Windows 10, it does not offer this option. I can either replace the files or just skip all together.

Is there a way to enable the option again? :)

Not sure if this will help you... Just came across this option whilst doing something else.

On any folder window click on View, then Options > Change Folder and Search Options. Click on the View tab, and you should see, almost straight away, a checkbox for "Hide folder merge conflicts". Uncheck that, and see if it helps? :)

Placeholders are back!

vgahky.jpg

dLMN8R

Jesus, i's been that long?

What exactly the onedrive team has been doing all that time?
Placeholders in 8.1 was basically a hack that screwed up a lot of things especially with third party apps, since the OneDrive team implemented it on their own without support from the rest of Windows for he most part.

It took a while for them to come out because they wanted to get it right, fully integrate it into every part of the system properly, and so forth.

Placeholders in 8.1 was basically a hack that screwed up a lot of things especially with third party apps, since the OneDrive team implemented it on their own without support from the rest of Windows for he most part.

It took a while for them to come out because they wanted to get it right, fully integrate it into every part of the system properly, and so forth.

I see, and it's a wise decision better take long and do it right.

Top Bottom