• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
So wait, they're using the zero pixel top right position for the charm bar?

Ugh, that's gonna make closing stuff rather annoying now in desktop. =/

Gesture-images-300.jpg

Windows 8 gestures

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
  • "One new element to Windows 8 is the requirement that Metro style applications have a minimum of 1024x768 screen resolution, and 1366x768 for the snap feature. If you attempt to launch a Metro style app with less than this resolution (e.g. 800x600, 1024x600) you will receive an error message."
  • "With the Consumer Preview, if you want to support touch, you will need a screen that supports multi-touch."
  • "Secured Boot requires a new UEFI BIOS, which is not available broadly on PCs yet, but is starting to be made available. If your machine does have UEFI, you can enable it via BIOS settings."
  • "BitLocker does not require but performs more seamlessly if your PC has a Trusted Platform Module (TPM). Machines that have this sometimes require it to be enabled via BIOS settings. BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive that meets performance criteria evaluated at installation time."
  • "Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system with second level address translation (SLAT) capabilities and an additional 2 GB of RAM. You can also enable SLAT via a BIOS setting."
  • "Some games and other software require graphics capabilities compatible with DirectX 10 or higher (including some games available in the Consumer Preview and in the Windows Store. We will continue to improve the verification of your system prior to downloading or running software with these requirements). Some games and programs might require a graphics card for optimal performance."
  • "If you clean install instead of upgrade (see below), you should check your PC manufacturer's website to make sure you install any specific drivers that they provide there. Many laptops will get better battery life with a power-optimized driver that is specific for that PC (often known as ACPI, Power, or Chipset driver)."
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/faq

I really want to try this on my tablet pc now... Is there a good way to partition a hard drive? Already in use?

Edit: I wonder if there's even drivers though...

Will this work on Windows Virtual PC or Oracle's VMBox (or whatever its called)? Looking for a way to get this running on my work laptop without having to buy anything :p

dLMN8R

Trying this on my laptop when i get home.

Is it more stable than the developer preview?

Windows 8 Developer Preview was utter shit. Consumer Preview is incredibly stable, reliable, and usable on your main machine.

Haven't tried it with games yet though, so YMMV

Windows 8 Developer Preview was utter shit. Consumer Preview is incredibly stable, reliable, and usable on your main machine.

Haven't tried it with games yet though, so YMMV

One thing that bothered me about the consumer preview is that it didn't use my multitouch trackpad as the equivalent of a touchscreen device.

Like using 2 fingers to drag the lock screen.

Is that possible now?

t-ramp

Backing up stuff in preparation for installing the CS on my laptop right now. Recently the Developer Preview seems to have gotten a bit screwy, so the timing is rather fortunate.

kehs

Banned
dLMN8R, any insight as to why they split the iso into 32 bit and 64 bit when they usually do a single iso for both?

Reseil

So is the public version out there just the OS? There are a couple TechNet flavors out there for those with subs. I went with x64 w/apps. It's clocking in around 3.34 GB, so gonna be awhile before I can start playing with it.

dLMN8R

One thing that bothered me about the consumer preview is that it didn't use my multitouch trackpad as the equivalent of a touchscreen device.

Like using 2 fingers to drag the lock screen.

Is that possible now?

I'm biased in my judgment of the Developer Preview because I was already using builds weeks newer and dramatically better than it by the time it was released :p

Multitouch trackpads will probably have to be handled by the manufacturer of the track pad in drivers. I don't know if that's built into the OS.

dLMN8R, any insight as to why they split the iso into 32 bit and 64 bit when they usually do a single iso for both?
When you buy Windows at retail, you get two DVDs - I don't think one ISO ever includes both.

This also keeps file sizes way down...no point in giving people twice the data they need.

kehs

Banned
When you buy Windows at retail, you get two DVDs - I don't think one ISO ever includes both.

This also keeps file sizes way down...no point in giving people twice the data they need.

You're totally right, I have no idea what I'm thinking about now regarding a single iso. =/

Sean

Banned
"One new element to Windows 8 is the requirement that Metro style applications have a minimum of 1024x768 screen resolution, and 1366x768 for the snap feature. If you attempt to launch a Metro style app with less than this resolution (e.g. 800x600, 1024x600) you will receive an error message."

That sucks, won't be able to use the Snap feature on my MBP (1280x800). More incentive to upgrade it I guess.

Any cool XBL news? All I'm seeing is the companion aspect. Otherwise, it looks like the XBL app on the iPad.

Gotta think they are saving Windows 8 Xbox stuff for E3. Its either that, or the gaming stuff they talked up previously is a massive disappointment just like GFWL.

dLMN8R

There are a couple of Xbox games available on the Windows Store for the preview, but other than that they haven't said anything.

NH Apache

Banned
Just finished running windows experience: 5.9 (Damn you hard drives!)

Some Shots:

All the hotkeys are still there. The metro interface is in lieu of a start menu, but for example if I want paint, all I have to do is hit the windows button, type paint, enter.

Xbox companion is really cool too. I can control my xbox from the pc. I can't play the xbox games on the pc though :(((

Any requests for screens?

Edit: Expand function for quoted pics doesn't work in new IE. Time to get Chrome.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ohshiiii

Any USB boot disk instructions? My W500 tablet is ready

edit, glorious MS servers. Downloading at 4-5 mb/s :)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So just to confirm things before I potentially screw up. I have a SSD already running win 7. I'm buying another SSD for this. If I install win 8 onto that SSD, I'm good to go for dual booting correct?

Jzero

So this can be used to create USB drive that will run Windows 8 withou any need of installing that OS on PC?

No, it just makes your flash drive bootable

So just to confirm things before I potentially screw up. I have a SSD already running win 7. I'm buying another SSD for this. If I install win 8 onto that SSD, I'm good to go for dual booting correct?
yes, just install it in the right drive.

Troll

Banned
I came to the same conclusion around 8 months ago, but there was no better alternative (other than Ars/Anandtech) that I could find. Now, there is the verge.

That Josh guy doesn't get on your nerves? On all the shows and Podcasts they do he comes off as a complete dufus.

That's just to make a bootable USB drive to install on a computer.

I'm not sure what's needed to install to a USB drive.

Installing to a USB drive is probably what I need to do ideally. Can't risk screwing around with dual booting on my work machine that I use day-to-day but if I can get it running on a USB Stick I think that would be relatively low-risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom