• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

tino

Banned
Alright. I am sure alot of people are interested the Surface Tablets/Tablets Pro. You can discuss it in this thread.

I am, however, only interested in a transforming tablet with a real keyboard and a real Windows system. So I created a comparo chart just for these transforming tablets running on Atom of Ivy Bridge varieties.

(edit1: updated chart, with size, and HP Envyx2, Dell XPS 10)
(edit Sep 3, added Taichi and MSI Slider)
(edit Oct 1, added HP ElitePad 900
(edit Oct 15 added Lynx, Fujishu and some US price)
(edit Oct 19 added Dell Latitude 10)

Updated with Chromebook

google doc

I get different HDD space stat for the Samsung Ativ SmartPC/SmartPC Pro from engedget and Verge, I ended up picking hardwardzone's number since it has hands down the most detailed hands-on.

I swear to god in most of the Atom Laptop announcement blogs, people keep asking, "Is this a RT tablet, is this a RT tablet." If this is not the most confusing OS(es) launch, I don't know what it is.

Please keep the discussing within the Windows 8 (non-RT) laptops, we don't want OS war here thanks. The main reason I want to make this thread is to discuss with other fellow gaffer who also want to get an tablet and find out which one is the best. I am sure I missed alot of detail.

I will update the post tomorrow with some brief write-up on all the major 10-11" transformer tablets. Got to go to sleep now.

Let me know if there is any error in the chart.

Additional model info courtesy of ep85:

EVqGc.jpg

*Insert intro here*

Enpqs.jpg

*Insert RT intro here*

J5oZ3.jpg

Screen Size (Resolution): 10.1" (1366 x 768)
RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories: Keyboard dock
Other:
MRSP:

sz6pb.jpg

CPU: Qualcomm S4
RAM: 2GB
Storage: 32GB/64GB
Weight: 1.26 lbs
Size: 8.9 mm/ /
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

QhPGH.jpg

CPU: Nvidia Tegra 3
RAM:
Storage: 32GB/64GB
Weight: 1.49 lbs
Size: 9.3 mm/ /
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

TitUu.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

1op0O.jpg

*Insert Atom intro here*

RF3eM.jpg

Screen Size (Resolution):
RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

Bn0EP.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

9BFNO.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

YuVUm.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

HBM3A.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

pHaSb.jpg

*Insert Core intro here*

x7MUZ.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

6IA0o.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

qxKTw.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

VsM2j.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

fHZFY.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

4uFNu.jpg

RAM:
Storage:
Weight:
Size:
Accessories:
Other:
MRSP:

tino

Banned
You need measurements column. Great thread though.

I only have measurement on the Sony. They all have pretty fat bezels so I figure they all pretty big.

I am looking for keyboard weights and stand alone battery life (not counting the keyboard.)

Totakeke

Probably want to find some way to categorize the different types of designs too. There's detachable tablets, slider tablets, maybe convertibles too?

tino

Banned
Probably want to find some way to categorize the different types of designs too. There's detachable tablets, slider tablets, maybe convertibles too?

Yeah I ll add it. I haven't figured out what to call the Surface style of keyboard yet.

ep85

Out of the non-rt tabs, I like the vivo tab from Asus and the envy x2 from HP. Hopefully clover trail performs well.

Polk

They are making atom based tablets with full Win8? They want people to hate win8 tablets aren't they?

ep85

Atom has been pretty good for the low end. And since we have finally moved on from the 1024x600 screen resolution, I welcome the hybrid nu-netbook range.

dwebo

the atom versions should be fanless, too. the i5 versions most likely won't be, and fans in a tablet are just yuck

Totakeke

Atom netbooks also didn't have the programs to support their low power. Metro apps will solve a portion of that problem.

tino

Banned
Updated chart, with size, and HP Envyx2

I also group the W8 tablets base on platform and then size. Since people will be cross shopping tablets of similar price.

jagowar

they haven't released voltage specs for any of them have they? I think it would be useful to convert those battery capacities to all whr or mah.

tino

Banned
^^ I am not aware of any
Well the Duo 11 does have ethernet. Its basically a laptop.

For the Atom tablets, the Lenovo Tablet 2 seem to be the winner. I don't want to carry a 11" tablet out so the smaller and light Lenovo is preferable.

The Acer and HP are pretty cheaply made AFA I can tell. They don't have stylus either. So they are out

The Samsung is kind of heavy and solid looking; the Asus is lighter and thinner.

Depends on the price. If the Lenovo 10" is more expensive than the Asus 11" I would pick the Asus. Otherwise I am will get the Lenovo pending good review.

^^ I am not aware of any
Well the Duo 11 does have ethernet. Its basically a laptop.

For the Atom tablets, the Lenovo Tablet 2 seem to be the winner. I don't want to carry a 11" tablet out so the smaller and light Lenovo is preferable.

The Acer and HP are pretty cheaply made AFA I can tell. They don't have stylus either. So they are out

The Samsung is kind of heavy and solid looking; the Asus is lighter and thinner.

Depends on the price. If the Lenovo 10" is more expensive than the Asus 11" I would pick the Asus. Otherwise I am will get the Lenovo pending good review.
Currently Tablet 2 is the one that pleased me the most too. If Atom delivers in performance and battery life i'll be all over it :p

The dock in Acer W510 is my favorite, though. If they had a pen would be perfect.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Are there any benchmarks for these new atom processors? I wonder how much better they are than their predecessors.

I'm telling you people, Windows 8 is going to sell tablets like nothing we have ever seen before.

this will be incredibly interesting.
There is this stupid Windows 8 "WHYDOYOUFORCEMETRODOWNOURTHROATS"-backlash all over the place, but when people see the hybrids and tablets, they are intrigued.

tino

Banned
Currently Tablet 2 is the one that pleased me the most too. If Atom delivers in performance and battery life i'll be all over it :p

The dock in Acer W510 is my favorite, though. If they had a pen would be perfect.

Wait is the Lenovo tablet 2 keyboard rotatable? If not it will deduct a lot of points from the Tablet 2.

edit: the fuck, doesn't look like the Lenovo keyboard has battery either. This thing is as dumb as Galaxy Note's keyboard!

Troll

Banned
There is this stupid Windows 8 "WHYDOYOUFORCEMETRODOWNOURTHROATS"-backlash all over the place, but when people see the hybrids and tablets, they are intrigued.

I honestly enjoy metro on the desktop. Short cuts with Win+(x) make it extremely usable. If we count all the hybrid keyboard tabs as tablets, I think Windows 8 will be fighting for 1st in market share in the tablet market.... this year.

tino

Banned
I honestly enjoy metro on the desktop. Short cuts with Win+(x) make it extremely usable. If we count all the hybrid keyboard tabs as tablets, I think Windows 8 will be fighting for 1st in market share in the tablet market.... this year.

That's' only because all laptop makers (not counting Apple) has turned Netbooks and Ultrabooks into tablets + keyboards.

buhdeh

Very excited for these tablet/laptop hybrids. Strongly considering selling my iPad 3 and getting a Nexus 7 until these Windows 8 transformers are out.

Totakeke

Yeah, Atom vs Arm is pretty much the biggest remaining question in the tablet equation. The existence of RT is pretty questionable at this point.

so the only i5 Pro tablet we have a price on is

$1,200.

About where all of us rational people figured i5 models would land. I assume nobody is hoping for $700 i5 pro's at this point?

leadbelly

Banned

Not exactly hard to explain. There is much more purpose in having the metro interface on a mobile device with a touchscreen.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
so the only i5 Pro tablet we have a price on is

$1,200.

About where all of us rational people figured i5 models would land. I assume nobody is hoping for $700 i5 pro's at this point?

I'm thinking $1200 for hybrids, $1000 for tablets, $700 for Atoms, $500 for RTs

ep85

The price points will probably be $400-$600 for Windows RT tablets, $600-900 for Atom based tablets, $900 and up for Core i3/i5/i7.

Yeah, Atom vs Arm is pretty much the biggest remaining question in the tablet equation. The existence of RT is pretty questionable at this point.

Competition alone justify it imo. Arm needed a chance to become a first class citizen so Intel would be threatened and bulk up their Atom offerings...

Plus, on a atom tablet you are going to run the real deal when it comes to desktop. I can see the battery being drained much faster if the user leaves a few things opened there...

Top Bottom