• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
this will be incredibly interesting.
There is this stupid Windows 8 "WHYDOYOUFORCEMETRODOWNOURTHROATS"-backlash all over the place, but when people see the hybrids and tablets, they are intrigued.

They are intrigued about metro when there are devices where the interface makes sense?

You don't say.

Toki767

Actually the rumoured price is around $200 for the RT and $500 for the Windows 8 pro version.

$200 for RT, which I don't really think will happen, would put it as an instant buy for me just to toy around with it.

How useful is an i5 going to be in these tablets? Are they really worth the extra money when you aren't necessarily using tablets like desktops/laptops?

leadbelly

Banned
oh, ok.. Microsoft may do that but I doubt any of the OEMs will hit those price points.

Yeah. I should have mentioned I was talking about the surface tablets specifically.

How useful is an i5 going to be in these tablets? Are they really worth the extra money when you aren't necessarily using tablets like desktops/laptops?

Well, the i5 version is going to have a full version of windows on it so...

I imagine it would come in use for more power users.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Actually the rumoured price is around $200 for the RT and $500 for the Windows 8 pro version.

The rumour is crap in my opinion, Google don't make money on the Nexus 7 at $200 and it has a smaller screen and way less storage than all these tablets (not to mention the license fee). These OEMs don't have any kind of App Store kickback coming either, so there's just no chance of the devices being sold at cost.

MS will get kick backs naturally but they won't do it because it would obliterate the OEM Market, Google came in $50 under what ASUS wanted to charge for the Nexus, this rumour is talking about MS coming in $300 under, there's just no way.

Wiktor

I'm waiting for hybrid thinkpad..preferably somethng like this with detachable screen:

076-01.jpg

Epic Drop

So the consensus is that the Windows Surface PRO will have a fan right?

I believe that all of the i5's shown so far have had a fan, so I would assume that the Surface Pro will have one.

So far I like the other options, especially the Sony one, but nothing has come close to the Surface Pro for me yet. I just can't see myself using what is more or less a closed netbook with a screen on the outside in "tablet" mode. I mean, many of them are 3+ lbs and have a large/thick form factor! I'd never hold that like an Ipad.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ah, so the surface team is just treated as a separate division?

I curious to the reason why though, seeing that they're paying themselves? Is it done so the financials between each other wouldn't be too lopsided? Or is it just an antitrust thing?

Probably putting way too much thought into it. :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ah, so the surface team is just treated as a separate division?

I curious to the reason why though, seeing that they're paying themselves? Is it done so the financials between each other wouldn't be too lopsided? Or is it just an antitrust thing?

Probably putting way too much thought into it. :p

Probably to help alleviate their OEM partner's concerns of not being able to compete fairly.

leadbelly

Banned
The rumour is crap in my opinion, Google don't make money on the Nexus 7 at $200 and it has a smaller screen and way less storage than all these tablets (not to mention the license fee). These OEMs don't have any kind of App Store kickback coming either, so there's just no chance of the devices being sold at cost.

MS will get kick backs naturally but they won't do it because it would obliterate the OEM Market, Google came in $50 under what ASUS wanted to charge for the Nexus, this rumour is talking about MS coming in $300 under, there's just no way.

It does sound too good to be true, yes. The rumour goes though that they would sell it at a loss. The point would be to gain market share rather than make a profit on the hardware specifically. They have the money to do it, but yeah, it would be surprising if they actually did do that.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Stop using the Windows name MS, no one trusts it.

tino

Banned
Probably to help alleviate their OEM partner's concerns of not being able to compete fairly.

To appease Acer.
I am being sarcastic

Really I feel like this is the same debate we have had in the Surface thread and I don't see any reason to bring it up again. Just wait for the price to come out.

tino

Banned
Do you guys think I should take out the Sony Duo 11?

If the keyboard is not detachable I don't see any season people cross shop it with the rest of the tablets.

Divvy

Do you guys think I should take out the Sony Duo 11?

If the keyboard is not detachable I don't see any season people cross shop it with the rest of the tablets.

I think it's fine. It still converts to a tablet form factor, even if it is bulky.

Someone should make a tablet with the Acer W510 dock, Usb 3.0, 16:10, a digitizer and whatever processor can handle this with a +-10h battery.

Whoever do this first wins my heart and my money :p

popeutlal

I'm seriously considering getting a RT tablet, but I'm not if It'll be worth it. I guess it depends on the price and how much less annoying the experience is; Android with its terrible update system - iOS with its no sd expansion and no way to turn off lock screen on the tablet, wtf why? - for RT I'm sure there will be plenty of annoyances, will you still need the Zune software to do file transfers?

..apps wise all the popular apps will be on all platforms.

maeh2k

Ideally, I'd like a Surface Pro with a dock that hooks the Surface up to display, mouse, keyboard. I don't particularly care about keyboard docks.

Lenovo has already shown that kind of dock for their Thinkpad Tablet 2. However, that device uses an Atom processor. I need something faster (and I'm not even sure the ULV core i CPUs are fast enough; I'd like quad core).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
still not sure if I will wait for the Microsoft Surface running Windows 8 or one of these detachable keyboard Windows 8 machines. I feel like a detachable keyboard would be better for laptop use than the Surface keyboard.

nice thread btw

Divvy

Actually it would be nice if you could put some pictures or thumbnails of the tablets in the OP. It would help in putting something visual to those specs.

If you have the time that is.

SRG01

this will be incredibly interesting.
There is this stupid Windows 8 "WHYDOYOUFORCEMETRODOWNOURTHROATS"-backlash all over the place, but when people see the hybrids and tablets, they are intrigued.

Well, that's more skepticism around the desktop variant than the tablet version. I doubt I'll buy another laptop or desktop again...

I'm seriously considering getting a RT tablet, but I'm not if It'll be worth it. I guess it depends on the price and how much less annoying the experience is; Android with its terrible update system - iOS with its no sd expansion and no way to turn off lock screen on the tablet, wtf why? - for RT I'm sure there will be plenty of annoyances, will you still need the Zune software to do file transfers?

..apps wise all the popular apps will be on all platforms.

There's a zune software you can install to access their music and video store, but it will lose all capabilities regarding transferring things to other devices.

There's no point for it actually, Win8 has the app store which syncs/installs your apps and for everything else you can plug and access directly through the tablet itself...

Epic Drop

Right now I still favor the Surface Pro over any of the i5 competitors, but I'm REALLY hoping Microsoft rethinks the whole "Pro launching 3 months after the RT" thing, because it sounds like most of these competing i5 tablet/laptop combos are launching right near the launch of W8. I just don't want to wait 3 extra months!

tino

Banned
Actually it would be nice if you could put some pictures or thumbnails of the tablets in the OP. It would help in putting something visual to those specs.

If you have the time that is.

Well do it tonight. If you guys want to have 1-2 paragraphy writeup for the models (focus on unique features), send it to me as well.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
that is all I can find at the moment. of course there are also the traditional laptops, which a lot of them seem to be coming out with touchscreens. kinda useless to me unless they flip around like the Yoga etc..

popeutlal

Agreed... As long as the price isn't crazy surface is the one everybody is going to want.
But it has a tegra3 chip in it, sure tegra3 preforms great on benchmarks...the real world performance is less than satisfactory, specially when web browsing.

But if it has the tegra3+ chip then there should be no issues at all.

The Lenovo ThinkPad 2 looks alright but I wonder how these new Atom chips will perform.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/08/lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-2-announced/

this is the biggest mystery. the clover trail atom chips are supposed to be much better than previous generations, but what does that even mean?

better in a way that you now can have more than a browser and a media player open without it struggling? or better that you can play some older pc games on it?

i remember when i tried playing TF2 on a netbook with atom n455 for shits and giggles:

Divvy

storafötter;41585698 said:
I am very interested in Surface Pro, but I have to go with the Samsung due to the pen and art possibilities.

The Surface Pro has the same pen technology (wacom)

The Surface Pro has the same pen technology (wacom)

Oh it does? along with USB 3 makes it seem like a superior choice but it has a hefty price. Damn this will be difficult. Thankfully I will wait until Christmas to buy my first tablet and have to look at impressions by then.

VALIS

Gonna buy the one with the best gaming power. Which means I'm gonna have to wait for quite a while for reviews and benchmarks.

tino

Banned
storafötter;41585925 said:
Oh it does? along with USB 3 makes it seem like a superior choice but it has a hefty price. Damn this will be difficult. Thankfully I will wait until Christmas to buy my first tablet and have to look at impressions by then.

Samsung's i5 tablet has larger screen and is lighter. Has a stylus too.

Did you guys read my chart?

trinest

The Sony and the Asus don't look that bad. I might pick them up. Everything else (besides our god and savour the Surface) looks pretty bad both spec wise and design wise.

Top Bottom