• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Gonna buy the one with the best gaming power. Which means I'm gonna have to wait for quite a while for reviews and benchmarks.

So far that's Transformer Book. It has an i7 plus a discrete (undisclosed) nvidia graphics card, but it has no pen. From Asus only the Atom model has ¬¬

eastmen

Banned
Interested in the Envy x2, Lenovo Tablet 2 and Microsoft Surface Pro.

If not I'll just get the Envy 4 with Touch.

Right now I'm 90% sure I will get a surface pro , the only question left in my mind is if something comes out with a trinity chip .

I'm also hoping that we get either haswell (hey we have to wait to febuary and haswell is rumored for april) or we get a quad core i7 ivy bridge.

Wiktor

So far that's Transformer Book. It has an i7 plus a discrete (undisclosed) nvidia graphics card, but it has no pen. From Asus only the Atom model has ¬¬

ASUS announced recently a 15 inch zenbook with GF650M, so hopefully gaming hybrids will come in the future.
I wonder..isn't it possible to have the GPU in keyboard dock, while integrated chip in slate? This way after a year you could upgrade just the dock :)

eastmen

Banned
ASUS announced recently a 15 inch zenbook with GF650M, so hopefully gaming hybrids will come in the future.
I wonder..isn't it possible to have the GPU in keyboard dock, while integrated chip in slate? This way after a year you could upgrade just the dock :)

You'd have to have a thunderbolt connection

PCIe 1.x 16x slot can transfer 4GB/s in each direction

PCIe 3.0 16x slot can do 40GB/s in each direction

Thunderbolt is i believe 10GB/s i'm not sure if 10GB/s each way giving you 20GBs vs what would be 80GBs in PCIe- 3.0 or if its 10GB/s total which would give you like 5 and 5.

So it coudl work , no idea how latancy's would affect performance

jonremedy

So no news on the Acer Iconia W510? I'm looking for as small a tablet as possible, so for me the choice is currently between the super lightweight Lenovo Tablet 2 and the Iconia. No other 10.1" Atom tablets, I take it?

I kinda hope eventually we get to this, maybe do a full combo (Gpu+Cpu) on the dock to avoid bandwidth problems between them two, it would be even better if somehow the combo on the tablet worked in addition to the ones in the dock, instead of being disabled.

That's actually how i picture my perfect console would work: You have a very powerful dock connected to the TV, but you can unplug the tablet and take it anywhere even being able to play some of the lesser demanding games.

tino

Banned
So no news on the Acer Iconia W510? I'm looking for as small a tablet as possible, so for me the choice is currently between the super lightweight Lenovo Tablet 2 and the Iconia. No other 10.1" Atom tablets, I take it?

Acer has had only a couple early previews back in Computex.

If the Lenovo keyboard doesn't rotate, I may have to buy the Acer too.

That will make this my 4 straight Acer PC purchase in a row.

jonremedy

Acer has had only a couple early previews back in Computex.

If the Lenovo keyboard doesn't rotate, I may have to buy the Acer too.

That will make this my 4 straight Acer PC purchase in a row.

I'm not sure what you mean by rotate...

No battery in the keyboard dock on the Lenovo makes me wary... On the positive side it's really, really light. I was hoping for weight and dimension-specs on the Acer. If it's as light as the Lenovo the choice is easy.

tino

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean by rotate...

No battery in the keyboard dock on the Lenovo makes me wary... On the positive side it's really, really light. I was hoping for weight and dimension-specs on the Acer. If it's as light as the Lenovo the choice is easy.

I mean rotate as in adjust the viewing angle.

ep85

From videos of the Acer w510 that keyboard dock looks janky as hell. It did not hold its position well and it looked like the tablet would topple over in both laptop mode and presentation mode.

jonremedy

Oh didn't realize you updated, nice. Hmm, someone said the Lenovo doesn't have a battery a couple posts up but you listed it as transformer. Wonder which way it really is...

I was going by what someone in another thread said about the Lenovo. I can't find any info about battery in the dock either way just searching the web...

f0lken

:O

The most impressive thing on those videos is that now I know that metro apps can be closed, and how can they be closed, just drag the app from top to bottom, I just checked in my Windows 8 desktop and they are indeed closed, you can se how around the 2:26 min in the second video

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
:O

The most impressive thing on those videos is that now I know that metro apps can be closed, and how can they be closed, just drag the app from top to bottom, I just checked in my Windows 8 desktop and they are indeed closed, you can se how around the 2:26 min in the second video
Yep. Alt-F4 or right clicking or middle clicking in the app switcher also works. Apps are suspended after a short time though, so no need to close them.

f0lken

Yep. Alt-F4 or right clicking or middle clicking in the app switcher also works. Apps are suspended after a short time though, so no need to close them.

I knew about f4, but the other method looks more natural and was often a point of discussion with a lot of people ("What? Metro apps can't be closed? BS" and more) so I am glad that there is a more streamlined option

Conor 419

Banned
Gah, I don't know what to do.

I could really do with a good laptop/tablet hybrid for my upcoming semester at college, but Surface Pro is so far away...
Conversely, I don't want January to arrive, only for surface to suck.

Decisions decisions.

scently

At this point I will be going with the samsung ativ pc pro.It has everything I want: good looking laplet, i5, 4GB ram, 1920x1080, 265gb ssd, 3g/4g, etc. I will be selling off my ipad 3 soon.

I tried to hold off for a light art slate that has minimum requirement for my needs (Core i5/i7, 8GB of RAM, Wacom digitizer, better than SXGA res IPS LCD bigger than 11", swappable battery or min 8 hour of battery) and it looks like the closest one, the Sony VAIO Duo 11, doesn't use Wacom.

So I just bit the bullet on a really nice newegg Fujitsu T902 deal: $400 less than @ Fujitsu website.

You really can't beat a convertible for versatility. You have full voltage Core i5, 16GB max RAM, dual battery slots for hot swap action, And I have 13.3" surface area to draw on. A real desktop replacement for me. And doesn't weight that much (4.4 lbs). And love the fact that Fujitsu's Wacom pens have 2 buttons. 2 button pen that fits in the silo? Yes please.

Ordered it with 180GB Intel Cherryville SSD and 16GB of DDR3 1600 (CAS 10). Should be a speed demon with all my art apps.

I think I like my approach of having a 4.4 lbs 13.3" desktop replacement that can go along with me when I need it, along with a 1.3 lbs 10.1" Android tablet that I can carry about all the time, both running a Wacom pen. I'm set.

Totakeke

I tried to hold off for a light art slate that has minimum requirement for my needs (Core i5/i7, 8GB of RAM, Wacom digitizer, better than SXGA res IPS LCD bigger than 11", swappable battery or min 8 hour of battery) and it looks like the closest one, the Sony VAIO Duo 11, doesn't use Wacom.

So I just bit the bullet on a really nice newegg Fujitsu T902 deal: $400 less than @ Fujitsu website.

You really can't beat a convertible for versatility. You have full voltage Core i5, 16GB max RAM, dual battery slots for hot swap action, And I have 13.3" surface area to draw on. A real desktop replacement for me. And doesn't weight that much (4.4 lbs). And love the fact that Fujitsu's Wacom pens have 2 buttons. 2 button pen that fits in the silo? Yes please.

Ordered it with 180GB Intel Cherryville SSD and 16GB of DDR3 1600 (CAS 10). Should be a speed demon with all my art apps.

I think I like my approach of having a 4.4 lbs 13.3" desktop replacement that can go along with me when I need it, along with a 1.3 lbs 10.1" Android tablet that I can carry about all the time, both running a Wacom pen. I'm set.

Why not get a 10" Windows 8 tablet as well? I'd think that the software situation would be far better considering there's only one 10" Android tablet with Wacom at the moment. No?

Hoo-doo

Banned
You mean, except the 90% of the world who uses it daily?

It's the standard. Of course millions of people use it daily.

That doesn't mean it hasn't got a seriously negative image.
Anecdotally of course, but I haven't seen, met or spoken to anyone in the world who actually "loves" windows and the things it does. It's just there, it's the default.

Anecdotally of course, but I haven't seen, met or spoken to anyone in the world who actually "loves" windows and the things it does. It's just there, it's the default.

hello

Totakeke

No? With all the people rallying against Windows 8, you'd think you'd heard people loving their current OS.

Anecdotally I've never heard of people proclaiming their love for paper either.

Great thread, tino. I was hoping something like this would show up, but this is sooner than expected.

I still can't decide on a device. Going by brand, the Thinkpad Tablet 2 would be my obvious choice, but Lenovo really screwed this up with the lame dock and the N-Trig pen. The low resolution doesn't help either.

dude

dude

I've met a lot of people who "loved" Windows 7, or claim to hate "that Windows" and "love" Windows XP. But that doesn't matter, most people might not care enough to love their OS, but they don't hate it and apparently trust it enough to use it daily and view it as pretty much the only option. If Windows had such a negative image more people would have actively looked at the competition.

The Verge interviewed former Acer CEO and now Lenovo's EMEA president Gianfranco Lanci. 20 minutes long, pretty interesting, mentions "affordable flexible displays" in 3 years, thinks the Surface is a good move.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/31/3279802/gianfranco-lanci-interview-pc-evolution-microsoft-surface

In other news:

Acer declined the chance to unveil price and availability details at the technology exhibition, although tech website Hardware.info has claimed the firm will try and sell the W510 and W700 Windows 8 tablets at around €599 ($750) and €699 ($880), respectively.

That is way better than expected.

Which begs the question what happened to price range on cheap atom netbooks? Does a good display and touchscreen cost that much?

we dont know how much better these atom chips are. the old ones were really shitty and these have windows 8 run completely fluidly. there surely is a pricebump there too

The W700 is not an Atom tablet. They ship it with a Core-i-Series CPU.

it is, but w510 is atom. and that still is much more expensive than the netbooks that flooded the market

ep85

The Samsung Ativ Smart PC (Series 5) looks pretty sexy in white.

PfITc.jpg

Xtv1c.jpg

DpXJ9.jpg

maeh2k

That is way better than expected.

Yeah, 700 Euros seems to be a good price for that device. It's, of course, the lower end version with an i3 (I believe) and 64 GB. For the things people do on tablets that sounds like a good configuration, though.

Wonder if it comes with the dock at that price or if it's sold extra. It would be a lot more interesting if the dock didn't just have three USB ports, but also a port for the display.

Totakeke

w700 does not have a keyboard, but a weird dock thing? Im not sure how much a keyboard is with extra battery and stuff (even though i dont know if the w510 has a battery from memory)

Yeah, just saying the point I was trying to make. I guess no one really has the answer to that until we get some benchmarks in.

Without vents which require extra cost in machining the parts, and also component costs for fans, I would've expected cheaper Atom tablets.

Top Bottom