• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 95 running on a New Nintendo 3DS

But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

Bad analogy. The computing power of a 3DS is finite. It's not elastic.

They choose Windows 95 because everybody knows what that is. Hence instant fame.

I've emulated old software on modern hardware without emulating the OS UI.
That includes emulating instructions, endianness and word sizes. The Windows Gui is just not needed.

krang

If you have to ask "why" about something like this, then you shouldn't have even bothered clicking the thread title.

Some people do silly things for fun. Go balance a budget or write some unit tests or something.

"Why do you play games" would be a pertinent question.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
you're wrong.

http://yifan.lu/2015/06/14/rejuvenate-native-homebrew-for-psvita/

Rejuvenate is a native vita based hack, accessed via the PSM exploit which Sony has patched (by removing PSM entirely). Numerous emulators have been ported to it, running natively in Vita mode. Such as this:

http://wololo.net/2015/09/14/catsfc-libretro-vita-1-1-0-a-port-of-snes9x-1-43-for-vita-released/

Even with vita native mode being utilised, N3DS still has it beat hands down.

We were both wrong then.
That's not native at all, it's built over PSM, one of the many reasons why PSM failed and was closed was because it gave a very very limited access to Vita's power, in fact PSM games were really limited and the few 3d ones were ugly and run bad.

VARIA

fire_community.gif

LOL! Seriously, what the hell happened.

dan2026

Sone people really are awful.

Guys spent ages making this cool little technical showcase and all people can say is 'why bother?' or 'what a waste of time'.

:(

Awesome! Grew up on DOS and 3.1, but Win 95 will always hold a special place in my heart. All that's missing now is a way to hook up a 33.6K modem.

fester

Banned
Did you just compare the moon landing with Windows 95 on the New 3DS?

The latter one isn't even hard but just something you want in the first place.

No, he answered the question regarding "why" we do these things. Because they are interesting, challenging, and obstacles to overcome. Curiosity is part of what defines the human experience, and if it weren't for these explorers you wouldn't be sitting at your comptuer right now, pouting, while typing words that will be read all over the world instantly.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sone people really are awful.

Guys spent ages making this cool little technical showcase and all people can say is 'why bother?' or 'what a waste of time'.

:(

Ignorance is OK. Willful ignorance is what bothers me.

But then again, NeoGAF is not really a homebrew-friendly place (with the exception of a handful of very specific threads). It seems the vast majority of users here prefer the "plug it and works" philosophy and everything that deviates from that norm seems arcane and counter-productive. You can't really expect a positive response from people who are simply not the target demographic for this kind of experiments.

Magwik

Banned
Neat, but it can't top whatever version of Windows (I think it was CE) running on a god damn Zune HD. Also Doom on it too was bizarre.

No, he answered the question regarding "why" we do these things. Because they are interesting, challenging, and obstacles to overcome. Curiosity is part of what defines the human experience, and if it weren't for these explorers you wouldn't be sitting at your comptuer right now, pouting, while typing words that will be read all over the world instantly.

I didn't ask a why question.
Doesn't help that he suddenly asked me about my accomplishments, so he moved even more away from why to comparing W95 on N3DS to whatever archivements.

If he really just wanted to talk about the why then a simple "because people enjoy doing stuff like that" would be more than enough.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I didn't ask a why question.
You first post in the thread did come out as cocky, and frankly a bit nonsensical (somebody wanted w95 on the 3ds?). And his tangent with the accomplishments did not ask about your occupation, either. So you either know what it takes to emulate w95 on an arm11, or you're just taking a piss in the wind. Which one is it?

L.O.R.D

We were both wrong then.
That's not native at all, it's built over PSM, one of the many reasons why PSM failed and was closed was because it gave a very very limited access to Vita's power, in fact PSM games were really limited and the few 3d ones were ugly and run bad.

that's right
PSM only give 400 mhz of the vita processor speed ( maybe 1 of the 4 cores only ? )

it's not complete , and it's very complicated.

edit: i think i got some wrong infos , the CPU of the Vita is clocked to 333 or 2 GHz ?

the tests by hackers says it's 333 , but maybe because they are running from Rejuvenate ?

blu

that's right
PSM only give 400 mhz of the vita processor speed ( maybe 1 of the 4 cores only ? )
Whereas the non-PSM titles ran at?..

c0de

you may kid, but the New 3DS is actually very powerful, and has specs that put it above the Vita in the majority of areas, not least the CPU. Which is why it is so far quite simply one of the best emulation machines you can buy.

example, no other hacked handheld (including Snes9x vita in native hack mode) plays SNES games like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2vmzqte12k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eo51pWzKo0
The n3ds more powerful than Vita? In which area exactly?
Also I think a Shield Portable runs circles around the 3ds and there is Retroarch for Android available (though I don't know how the state of it is).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
that's right

edit: i think i got some wrong infos , the CPU of the Vita is clocked to 333 or 2 GHz ?

the tests by hackers says it's 333 , but maybe because they are running from Rejuvenate ?

Whereas the non-PSM titles ran at?..

Vita 4 core cpu should go up to 2GHz, so i guess it's 500Hz each core.

inner-G

Banned
thats still the wii version though, although yeah its the best way to play it (with the Hi Res texture pack too)

But really, I racked up near 100 hours on XB3D and I have played through XB on Wii/Dolphin numerous times - the N3DS version is really good, and amazingly out-performs the wii version in quite a few areas (no slowdown in the telethia fight in the bionis heart!!!)
I've been thinking of trying that but I'm not sure my computer can handle it.

iMac w Bootcamp - 3.4ghz i5, 8 GB RAM, gtx 775m 2GB

Do you think that would play it or do you need an i7/970 type of rig?

pooptest

I've been thinking of trying that but I'm not sure my computer can handle it.

iMac w Bootcamp - 3.4ghz i5, 8 GB RAM, gtx 775m 2GB

Do you think that would play it or do you need an i7/970 type of rig?

775m seems pretty on par with a 270x (or a 570) (per Passmark: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html)

Video of 270x running Wii games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Iwc-6GOx4

Video of 570 running MK Wii: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4Vqa-w94Q

Good luck~

blu

I dunno, but consider that PSM games had to run even on the Experia Play that was way way weaker than Vita.
Don't confuse generic PSM titles for PSM-for-vita titles. Unity-for-PSM was practically on-par with native Unity feature- and performance-wise, but lacked native debugging and profiling support and allowed only C# in a VM (which did pose a performance hit on its own).

Top Bottom