• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Has Xbox and Ninja Theory's 'Bleeding Edge' been abandoned?

Rolla

Banned
Radio silence for several months doesn't bode well for Ninja Theory's 4v4 brawler.

Even a brief glance at the game's official blog, socials or official Discord paints a bleak picture. None of have been updated since July. Developers have been completely and utterly radio silent on the game's official Discord, with community messages left ignored, declining to engage in any form of discussion about the game.

Calverz

Another flop with MS stamp on it

EfKWeQFXkAAy_Z5
God what a sony fanboy you are.

OutRun88

Pretty sad for those who dropped their hard earned cash on this, but the writing was on the wall at release.

The concept is neat, but the game just dropped you in these completely forgettable maps and told you to spar it out with this utterly shallow combat system.

Again, great concept, poor execution. Destruction Allstars future is likely going to be an exact replica of Bleeding Edge, despite how hard I want the game to succeed.

kretos

Banned
God what a sony fanboy you are.

no i'm not, frankly i'm shocked by this accusation

Let´s just hope, Sony´s Destruction Debbie Downer Allstars will at least recoup 50% or more back. Seems to me Sony´s Bleeding Edge with cars (looks fun, looks nice but not €80 of niceness).

These companies are dumb af.

goodluck to the devs who made it but i couldn't care less about this game

Let´s just hope, Sony´s Destruction Debbie Downer Allstars will at least recoup 50% or more back. Seems to me Sony´s Bleeding Edge with cars (looks fun, looks nice but not €80 of niceness).

These companies are dumb af.

Well it's got the benefit of being a launch title so might do well based on that.

Not something that would survive any later than that though at that price

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I never understood this game. It was clearly going to be DOA. There was absolutely no market for this. The gameplay was simply boring and character designs were also pretty bad.

I understand that this was in development prior to the acquisition and I respect XGS’ hands off approach to studio management but at a certain point you need to give someone the no go. I don’t expected Grounded to get too much support either.

InDaGulag

I understand that this was in development prior to the acquisition and I respect XGS’ hands off approach to studio management but at a certain point you need to give someone the no go. I don’t expected Grounded to get too much support either.

Grounded was a surprise hit. Had 1 million players within the launch week. It's still getting significant updates to this date.

don't forget the F U G L Y cringe characters...

I thought they were fine, if a little too over the top.

THEAP99

Banned
I thought that this type of game being on gamepass would prevent this sort of thing. Shame.

Hopefully Ninja Theory doesn't waste anymore time with GAAS type games in the future.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Grounded was a surprise hit. Had 1 million players within the launch week. It's still getting significant updates to this date.
It took off like a rocket but crashed back to earth quickly. It just doesn’t make a bunch of sense to keep it on life support for a long time. Especially when that team could be put to work on Avowed or their other RPG.

Last edited:

Bridges

Bleeding Edge is super fun, I really enjoyed the time I spent with it. I think the biggest problems it has are the skill gap between teams and people who solo queue. People constantly say the game was bare-bones and shallow but actually there were a lot of interesting strategies based around team synergy, and if your team knew what they were doing even slightly and you don't know your character well then you are going to get demolished.

Similarly, if you are playing on a team with randoms against a team that is actually talking to each other you are going to lose. Flat out, communication is so terribly crucial and absolutely nobody is in game chat. Even being on a team comprised of 3 people in a party plus a random will always lose if the other team has all four people talking. It resulted in a lot of instances of either completely mopping the floor with the other team or getting your teeth kicked it. The final score of a match is rarely close unless you are a full team versus another full team.

Other than lacking on the content front I have very little negative to say about Bleeding Edge, it accomplishes what they were trying to go for and can be a real joy when you know what you're doing, but it was seemingly designed for an audience that barely exists, such a shame. I'd love to live in the world where it got its due.

Last edited:

quickwhips

it was ok but I would rather be playing multi last of 2(TLOU with no microtransactions i hope) which isn't out, cod warzone or Gears 5 Multi.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I'm just confused as to why they thought charging any money for this or even being part of gamepass and not a straight up F2P was a good.

OutRun88

Bleeding Edge is super fun, I really enjoyed the time I spent with it. I think the biggest problems it has are the skill gap between teams and people who solo queue. People constantly say the game was bare-bones and shallow but actually there were a lot of interesting strategies based around team synergy, and if your team knew what they were doing even slightly and you don't know your character well then you are going to get demolished.

Similarly, if you are playing on a team with randoms against a team that is actually talking to each other you are going to lose. Flat out, communication is so terribly crucial and absolutely nobody is in game chat. Even being on a team comprised of 3 people in a party plus a random will always lose if the other team has all four people talking. It resulted in a lot of instances of either completely mopping the floor with the other team or getting your teeth kicked it. The final score of a match is rarely close unless you are a full team versus another full team.

Other than lacking on the content front I have very little to say about Bleeding Edge, it accomplishes what they were trying to go for and can be a real joy when you know what you're doing, but it was seemingly designed for an audience that barely exists, such a shame. I'd love to live in the world where it got its due.
This isn't unique to Bleeding Edge though. It is a problem with all MOBAs, yet LoL, DOTA 2, and Smite are chugging along swimmingly. This game isn't the exact same but similar enough.

I'm glad you had fun with it.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I wouldn't be surprised if Phil didn't cancel it just to keep the morale of the devs up (at least in part). This was a project started before Xbox bought the studio so I'm sure the devs wouldn't have loved it if they cancelled it.
Very likely its put on the back burner, with the focus of getting Hellblade 2 development into high gear for release.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sadly won’t be the last cash grab in the MP arena, everyone wants some of that fortnite money.

Rolla

Banned
Grounded was a surprise hit. Had 1 million "players" within the launch week. It's still getting significant updates to this date.

I find this stat to be a little convoluted. I played Grounded, Sea Of Thieves, & Bleeding Edge at launch. I didn't pay a dime and probably enjoyed B.E the most. But here's the thing, touting the number of players across platforms "at launch" doesn't seem like a sustainable way to measure the success of the game. Especially when the drop off is so steep and online multi gets increasingly hard to get into because of the severely lowered player count. I remember Crackdown having a decent number at launch and within a week I couldn't get a match.

If you check Steam right now Grounded has less than one thousand players, right now.

fAKopfY.jpg

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Lets be real, they shouldn't have been allowed to explore this avenue because the game was never going to be good. NT should have had all hands on deck for Hellblade 2 and then maybe Xbox would have a compelling launch title for XSX.

Last edited:

Bridges

This isn't unique to Bleeding Edge though. It is a problem with all MOBAs, yet LoL, DOTA 2, and Smite are chugging along swimmingly.

I'm glad you had fun with it.
Yeah I had initially typed out how I figured this was also an issue with MOBAs but since I don't tend to play those I'm not informed enough to say if there is or isn't a difference there. Maybe they should've leaned into that more with marketing, the friends I have that play Smite really took to BE but those that play less team-based competitive games like CoD fell off much quicker, I noticed.

Not talking about you specifically, but I just reject the notion being thrown around here that because the game never caught on that it's bad. It's clearly a failure by any reasonable metrics but I don't think it's fair to say they didn't do a good job trying to do what they wanted to do, people just didn't want it.

Shmunter

Imagine if this game was the reason for the acquisition by MS. Hellblade is fantastic, but that’s finishable in a few hours, not exactly a re-subscription motivator.

Honest question: what is the point of this thread? Nothing but “shit game, bomba” when it came out and was already floundering. So you’ve posted this so all the GAF friends get a second dunk in? The point I’m trying to make is if it’s a bad game that everyone doesn’t care about; who the fuck cares. If it’s dead, let it die.

thief183

I don't htink it is abbandoned and actually I'm quit curious to see how it comes out, I play mostly multiplayer so I'm still waiting for it

teezzy

Banned
Bleeding Edge should've spent more time in the oven and been a Series X launch game

It came out at such a weird time and nobody really noticed or cared. They could use a game like Bleeding Edge right now

Shame

I forgot it existed tbh

Top Bottom