• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] This is the one thing PS5 absolutely did better than the Xbox Series X and S (talking about storage expansion)

Did you expand your console's storage?

• I upgraded my PS5 storage

Votes: 155 55.6%
  • I upgraded my XSX/S storage

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • I did not upgrade my PS5 sotrage

Votes: 78 28.0%
  • I did not upgrade my XSX/S storage

Votes: 65 23.3%

• Total voters

MarkMe2525

I 100% agree. MS's bet that they could lower costs of future storage options through economies of scale did not pay off. The high initial price points ensured that the expansion ssd would not move at high scale. Now retailers sit on unsold stock and Seagate has no reason to ramp up production.

coffinbirth

Those are not official though and if they brick your console, you have no warranty. So yes, there are no official third-party options for the expansion card for the Xbox.
OH, NO!
Where are my pearls to clutch?!?

How exactly do you think an external storage NVMe drive is going to brick...anything is beyond me. If I were cloning the internal drive you might be onto something. BTW, bricking is usually associated with botched firmware installs, not using Western Digital instead of Seagate, my guy.

coffinbirth

That seems alot more difficult than unscrewing a screw...
It's literally 1/3 the effort. You just screw the SSD in place and plug it in, lol.
They’re ludicrously expensive, there’s no excuse for it.
An OEM 2TB drive in that form factor is $350 and they sell it for $400 in an enclosure, not a crazy markup.
Ludicrously expensive are controllers that cost $2 to manufacture but are sold at $60, no sorry...$70 dollars.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
OH, NO!
Where are my pearls to clutch?!?

How exactly do you think an external storage NVMe drive is going to brick...anything is beyond me. If I were cloning the internal drive you might be onto something. BTW, bricking is usually associated with botched firmware installs, not using Western Digital instead of Seagate, my guy.
Keeping on trying to defend the proprietary storage vs open market solutions? Where were you when the PS Vita and PSP needed you?!? ;)

coffinbirth

Did you buy one of those unofficial knock-off adapters? Where did you get the drive?
I did, I bought two, one short one long, but haven't looked into getting that to work yet. I've been buying a lot of computer parts the last year building rigs for people, so I don't remember exactly, but it was almost certainly an OEM vendor. Wired-something dot com rings a bell.

coffinbirth

Keeping on trying to defend the proprietary storage vs open market solutions? Where were you when the PS Vita and PSP needed you?!? ;)
Did you miss the part where this is an open market solution or are you one of those special kids I'm not supposed to make fun of?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Did you miss the part where this is an open market solution or are you one of those special kids I'm not supposed to make fun of?
PSVita had third party solutions allowing you to use SDCards or was it PSP… anyways…edgy comedy I see…

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/coversion-adapter-for-m2-2230-ssds-for-xbox-series-xs does not seem as universal or as good as the full size slot Sony has and officially supports. Still an unsupported hack.

Popular, easy, totally supported solution equivalent to what Sony has… sure :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I did, I bought two, one short one long, but haven't looked into getting that to work yet. I've been buying a lot of computer parts the last year building rigs for people, so I don't remember exactly, but it was almost certainly an OEM vendor. Wired-something dot com rings a bell.

Hopefully you got the Western Digital's WD Blue CH SN530 cuz that is the only SSD that works with Xbox Series.

PSVita had third party solutions allowing you to use SDCards or was it PSP… anyways…edgy comedy I see…

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/coversion-adapter-for-m2-2230-ssds-for-xbox-series-xs does not seem as universal or as good as the full size slot Sony has and officially supports. Still an unsupported hack.

Popular, easy, totally supported solution equivalent to what Sony has… sure :rolleyes:.
Pretty sure the 3rd party solutions for Vita were regularly patched out with firmware updates for memory, otherwise I would have got one for sure.

It's literally 1/3 the effort. You just screw the SSD in place and plug it in, lol.

An OEM 2TB drive in that form factor is $350 and they sell it for $400 in an enclosure, not a crazy markup.
Ludicrously expensive are controllers that cost $2 to manufacture but are sold at $60, no sorry...$70 dollars.
Then MS locked everyone into a shit form factor. Either way, crappy result for people who want to affordably increase storage on their Xbox.

Other than VR I can't think of a single reason why the Xbox would need USB C. It's much easier uploading photos on the Xbox IMO, especially to a PC, via the PC XBox app and its also much easier to find your recordings and pictures on the XBox (Just hold down the button) so I don't get you on that point and I don't get your over the quality either I only have the mobile Apps on my Samsung Galaxy and both load the same for me

I don't agree with you about remote storage at all; MS have a much better feature set for the transfer of files to and from your family of consoles over the network IMO. If you want to play silly little games mind. You also don't need to activate or deactivate a console like on the PS, just log in and all your cloud data is there and also saved, no matter which Xbox console you are on or how many are on the same XBox. No silly issues like old save not working on your new system (Like Death Stranding) No silly need to dig out a USA cable to update the headset, smart delivery is so much better than the PS equivalent, quick resume is awesome, its simpler to power off the console via the pad and Dolby Atmos support is amazing when a game makes fully use of it, Dolby Vision is not half bad too

I'll give the PSV WiFi 6 support mind
This is embarrassing. Thread about a clearly factual superior SSD solution and here you are spouting off list wars.

coffinbirth

False equivalency.
You have to literally hack your Vita for SD2Vita to function, whereas I simply bought an SSD and put it in a case.
How do you not understand this?

JackMcGunns

Initially it made sense as there was no available option on PS5, if you ran out of storage you were SOL, but in the long run without a doubt it's much better for the consumer to have options. I wonder if someone could develop an adapter that would fit in the Series S/X and fool it to add any SSD :unsure: Probably not a big enough market for anyone to invest or attempt that, on top of possible legal action.

coffinbirth

Then MS locked everyone into a shit form factor. Either way, crappy result for people who want to affordably increase storage on their Xbox.
So says you.
I swap drives between consoles, and this is a superior solution vs. moving to cold storage, swapping the drive, and then copying from cold storage to internal.
Hopefully you got the Western Digital's WD Blue CH SN530 cuz that is the only SSD that works with Xbox Series.
Indeed. There are also vendors that sell Xbox pulls of these drives on the cheeaap.

damidu

False equivalency.
You have to literally hack your Vita for SD2Vita to function, whereas I simply bought an SSD and put it in a case.
How do you not understand this?
false equivalency is your whole crusade within this thread lol.
ms forced proprietary overpriced shit down people’s throat.

nobody cares about your ebay experiments of trying to find right model of a disk for a good price, hoping it would work. all just to go around ms bullshit.

no its not same as supported solution of competition.
how do you not understand this?

So says you.
I swap drives between consoles, and this is a superior solution vs. moving to cold storage, swapping the drive, and then copying from cold storage to internal.

Indeed. There are also vendors that sell Xbox pulls of these drives on the cheeaap.
For the majority of users who just want to affordably increase the storage on their console, the xbox solution is shit. So says everyone apart from you by the look of it.

Topher

Gold Member
So says you.

Can you share the vendor? Might be of interest to myself and other Steam Deck users.

coffinbirth

false equivalency is your whole crusade within this thread lol.
ms forced proprietary overpriced shit down people’s throat.

nobody cares about your ebay experiments of trying to find right model of a disk for a good price, hoping it would work. all just to go around ms bullshit.

no its not same as supported solution of competition.
how do you not understand this?
They serve different needs.
I can, and DO, swap drives between consoles. This solution serves my needs for 1/2 the price. Why wouldn't it be a viable option? It works. There are no "experiments"... you get the specific WD drive you want, 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB and put it in an enclosure.
I'm sorry if that's somehow too esoteric a concept.

Microsoft's pricing has nothing to do with my comments other than how I'm circumventing them. Like I said, people like to pretend it's not an option, and according to you "nobody cares" despite it being a popular solution amongst people that don't have their heads up their asses.

coffinbirth

Can you share the vendor? Might be of interest to myself and other Steam Deck users.
Xbox pulls are usually only available via vendors eBay stores. Not sure if that's a legality thing, but I've never seen them anywhere else. As far as finding them just put an alert for the drive(s) you want and you'll get a general idea of the market and when to bite.

damidu

They serve different needs.
I can, and DO, swap drives between consoles. This solution serves my needs for 1/2 the price. Why wouldn't it be a viable option? It works. There are no "experiments"... you get the specific WD drive you want, 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB and put it in an enclosure.
I'm sorry if that's somehow too esoteric a concept.

Microsoft's pricing has nothing to do with my comments other than how I'm circumventing them. Like I said, people like to pretend it's not an option, and according to you "nobody cares" despite it being a popular solution amongst people that don't have their heads up their asses.
yeah all that without a single guarantee you won’t get fucked by the next system update.
and you can bet you’ll get fucked by the second it gets “popular” as you think it is.

you can be as willfully obtuse as you want. doesn’t change the reality of xbox storage heist.

coffinbirth

yeah all that without a single guarantee you won’t get fucked by the next system update.
and you can bet you’ll get fucked by the second it gets “popular” as you think it is.

you can be as willfully obtuse as you want. doesn’t change the reality of xbox storage heist.
ok-okie.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox pulls are usually only available via vendors eBay stores. Not sure if that's a legality thing, but I've never seen them anywhere else. As far as finding them just put an alert for the drive(s) you want and you'll get a general idea of the market and when to bite.

Ah....ok. Sucks it isn't an easy to find solution for most.

Iced Arcade

External on both series X and PS5.

I can't imagine a world where I'm currently playing more than 5 games at a time so transfering between externals is easy peasy.

Proprietary anything should be illegal though.

Last edited:

cireza

PSVita had third party solutions allowing you to use SDCards
But these were unofficial I believe ? You had to use an adapter (+ softmod ?), which was not meant to be done at first. And I am not sure that it worked very well, at least in the beginning. It was also available pretty late in the life cycle of the console.

How I see it, Vita and Series solutions are exactly the same.

Last edited:
This is embarrassing. Thread about a clearly factual superior SSD solution and here you are spouting off list wars.
I'm on about standard SSDs that you can hook up to either the PS V or XBox, hence why I talked of the 'updated' needed for the PSV
Not a superfast NVMe card, but never mind and its embarrassing people don't take the time to read what one said

Last edited:
Are you talking about SSD via USB? You realize that is not what we are talking about, right?
Yeah, its quite clear I'm was, since we had to wait for a update to use them on the PSV and I meantioned that
I had both the Series X and PSV on launch and memory's was an issue for both and was very early in

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
2tb wd sn850 is quite cheap and almost makes me consider going digital... But I have so many disc games and new games are cheaper on disc and I love physical gaming.... which I barely have any room for.
I hate the games library UI on ps5. Shuffling between games I own, games from psn, + and so on is a nightmare

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, its quite clear I'm was, since we had to wait for a update to use them on the PSV and I meantioned that
I had both the Series X and PSV on launch and memory's was an issue for both and was very early in

Sure….no argument there but you are changing the subject entirely. Seems like you are searching for a win because in the here and now PS5 has the better solution.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That's like me asking you do you own a Series X.

I just act like a owner of both , so don't come it on that one

MIp2ij4.jpg

My point is, i use a lot of the uploading features from the PS5. Twitter and Youtube are under the same page. It's just 2 clicks from the PS button and that's it. It's not a workout or a big deal.

PS button>last taken shot/video>share option and done.

If ms cared enough about user experience over money, they would have released an adapter by now. This is why Xbox will always be second,

Last edited:
Reactions: PJX
My point is, i use a lot of the uploading features from the PS5. Twitter and Youtube are under the same page. It's just 2 clicks from the PS button and that's it. It's not a workout or a big deal.

PS button>last taken shot/video>share option and done.
My point is I own both, do you? I use both and it's simply and easier on the Xbox side, not necessarily better, just easier. I don't know where you get the quality issue from.
I can quite happily photos and videos in 4K and with HDR (photos) on XBox and I would say the UI on the PS V is a step backwards from the PS4 (do I need to take a photo of that?)

SONY got it right on Wi-FI 6 and well more importantly game production at the moment IMHO

Last edited:
Sure….no argument there but you are changing the subject entirely. Seems like you are searching for a win because in the here and now PS5 has the better solution.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
I'm just saying as a user and owner of both, its easier on the Xbox side. Its now got so nuts with Gamepass and PS Plus that I need 2 Super Fast SSD on both systems. On the XBox its so much easier to swap the memory cards, thats all. So no, the PS isn't a better solution , it's more a pain the ass having to knock the system off and open it up and fit inthe new memory card, each time its better for Price mind.

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm just saying as a user and owner of both, its easier on the Xbox side.
This is bullshit.

You want the easier option, just press the PS Button or the Share Button on Xbox select the most recent capture and select share. They are almost identical number of button presses. Want another option? Capture a screenshot it autouploads to PSN cloud storage or One drive, open your PS or Xbox app on your phone and share. It is identical on both.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm just saying as a user and owner of both, its easier on the Xbox side. Its now got so nuts with Gamepass and PS Plus that I need 2 Super Fast SSD on both systems. On the XBox its so much easier to swap the memory cards, thats all. So no, the PS isn't a better solution , it's more a pain the ass having to knock the system off and open it up and fit inthe new memory card, each time its better for Price mind.

That's fine, but you can make the statement that one is easier to swap out (which I agree with) while also acknowledging that the cheaper option makes it possible for you to not have to swap out at all at the same time. Factually, one internal SSD that is twice as large as the XSX expansion costs less money. So where you have two expansions on XSX you can get buy one for PS5 with less money. I mean....there is no getting around the math and the math says PS5 is the better option.

That's fine, but you can make the statement that one is easier to swap out (which I agree with) while also acknowledging that the cheaper option makes it possible for you to not have to swap out at all at the same time. Factually, one internal SSD that is twice as large as the XSX expansion costs less money. So where you have two expansions on XSX you can get buy one for PS5 with less money. I mean....there is no getting around the math and the math says PS5 is the better option.
I stand by that statement thanks. You own both?

Leonidas

More storage is meaningless for me. I will never play more than 667 GB worth of console games at a single time.

The best thing Sony did was making a PS5 without a disc drive (something else that is meaningless for me) and charging $100 less, while still having the full fat hardware.

At $399 PS5 Digital is the best console in a very long time. Only $100 more than Series S but way more powerful.

External on both series X and PS5.

I can't imagine a world where I'm currently playing more than 5 games at a time so transfering between externals is easy peasy.

Proprietary anything should be illegal though.
You realise that soon ps5 ssd will be just as cheap as external ssd right, with the ease of use, it’s a no brainier. Xbox will stuck with overpriced crap, that only a few can afford,

I greatly disagree on this point. I ain't trying to open up my games console just to swap in more space. I want it to be a quick plug and play solution like the Series consoles expansion card. It's expensive, true, but that type of convenience tends to come with a cost. I'll take that over having to unplug the damn console, open it up and install an SSD. I reserve that kind of stuff for my PC, not my games console that's attached to my OLED.

Got a 1TB SSD drive a few months back for 100 euros and it took me around 10 minutes (including mounting the heatspreader) to install it. Overall I'm very happy with it, though I think I should've waited a bit more since I'm seeing 2TB drives around 160-170 euros nowadays. Will probably upgrade later on if prices keep dropping to something like 4TB.

EDIT: Also, not sure if this was mentioned, but moving games from internal to m.2 drive is very fast, I've moved like 400GB worth of games in a 5-6 minutes.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I greatly disagree on this point. I ain't trying to open up my games console just to swap in more space. I want it to be a quick plug and play solution like the Series consoles expansion card. It's expensive, true, but that type of convenience tends to come with a cost. I'll take that over having to unplug the damn console, open it up and install an SSD. I reserve that kind of stuff for my PC, not my games console that's attached to my OLED.
Fine for you to say that, like you could defend Xbox 360 HDD price gouging, but you are grossly overselling the pain of adding an SDD module.

If you really do not want to bother just get a 5-8 TB external HDD/or hybrid disk and backup all games there and the PS4 titles you want to run, minor inconvenience of moving games back to the main storage when you want to play them at a fraction of the cost… there.

Or buy a 2 TB expansion and spend 10 minutes inserting it in the console (task that you will probably not do again for years).

Top Bottom