• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] This is the one thing PS5 absolutely did better than the Xbox Series X and S (talking about storage expansion)

Did you expand your console's storage?

• I upgraded my PS5 storage

Votes: 155 55.6%
  • I upgraded my XSX/S storage

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • I did not upgrade my PS5 sotrage

Votes: 78 28.0%
  • I did not upgrade my XSX/S storage

Votes: 65 23.3%

• Total voters

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You clowns will spin anything.

'take my harddrive to my friend's house' seriously who does this? I bet you and Riky have never done it.

I always need to laugh at those "play at friends" as the "big advantage" as if those friends have no games or no sub service. Or maybe these people are still young that they play at friends every day or weekend.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Installed a 2TB Western Digital SN850.

It was really hard.
0VCbbCG.gif

(Just kidding)😉😂🤣
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_grinning_squinting:

I can do that daily.

With me it would be the other way around, it is easier to do a cholecystectomy than to put the memory in PS5.

I would be like this

giphy.gif

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I nearly bought a 1tb SSD for my PS5 for £100, but it’s just not a solid purchase for me. 1TB is plenty of space, how many games do you need to have downloaded at once? That’s enough room for 10+ games, 🤷🏼‍♂️

If you’re struggling to manage yourself with 1TB, I doubt 2TB is going to help much!

I always need to laugh at those "play at friends" as the "big advantage" as if those friends have no games or no sub service. Or maybe these people are still young that they play at friends every day or weekend.
I can tell you now these idiots don't do this. They have to spin anything to say 'yeah, but Xbox is better' . It's more embarrassing when the Xbox solution is clearly inferior.

Last edited:
I nearly bought a 1tb SSD for my PS5 for £100, but it’s just not a solid purchase for me. 1TB is plenty of space, how many games do you need to have downloaded at once? That’s enough room for 10+ games, 🤷🏼‍♂️

If you’re struggling to manage yourself with 1TB, I doubt 2TB is going to help much!
You can also go for 4TB :)

Yeah it looked a bit shakey in the beginning when there was no upgrade option for the PS5, but now it looks well and truly the better option.
I'm still not sure why MS can't come up with another solution for expansion using M2.
It's not a big deal for me as I generally play three or four games at a time and it's not a big deal to move a game over to the internal hard drive to play it.

shaddam

My PS3 has 1TB HDD my PS4 2TB, my PS5 is not yet expanded, I am waiting for some sweet deal. I guess Sony learned with vita not to use strange storage solution.

Topher

Gold Member
People like to pretend there aren't 3rd party solutions for Xbox as well.
I got a 1TB drive and an adapter for $120 shipped last year. The 2TB drives in that form factor are just still expensive even for OEM.

Did you buy one of those unofficial knock-off adapters? Where did you get the drive?

My NVME upgrade was easy and cheap. Never had an issue with the drive so far. I'm thinking about getting an external for backups but my drive isn't full yet.

demigod

Can anybody let me know what are the top 2 or 3 options in the PS5 list? With PSVR2, I'm looking to upgrade my storage since none of those games will ever be purchases via physical media.
I’m always a Crucial fan and they never failed me on ssd. I do have a 1tb Sabrent in my PC and it works great. I bought a 2TB Crucial P5 during Xmas for about $150ish and it seems like 2TB has been dropping in price further. Don’t get the P3, it uses different tech.

Spitfire098

Price is really the only advantage the PS5 solution has. I will never be able to remove my PS5 internal storage and take it to a friend's to play. At least Xbox saves me money on games so the one time cost of the expensive drive isn't the end of the world.
My friend also has a 1 tb ssd installed in his ps5. He just downloads the game, no need to carry around memory sticks, lol what year is this?

NickFire

The parts of the article that are quoted give me the vibe the author thinks a mistake caused the high propriety prices. I don’t believe there was a mistake. it’s been this way since the external hard drive days on 360. It’s a great profit margin I bet.

If the cost wasn't absolutely ridiculous the Xbox solution would be better imo, but given that the cost is ridiculous I have to agree that the Playstation solution is currently substantially better

damidu

lol yeah, pretty sure absolutely nobody ever does this.
an in unlikely case of there are like 5 people in total carrying around memory cards like dorks, or are afraid of screwdrivers.

why do i as a xbox owner have to pay premium for stupid features i will never use.

its been 3 years, there is no price cut nor additional brands like they promised.

anyway they can do whatever they want.
im never going to buy that overpriced shit, meanwhile buying all the third party games on ps5, just based on disk space alone.

Last edited:
I got an 8TB external drive for PS4 games and a 2TB internal SSD for PS5 games. I'm actually looking forward to 4TB SSDs dropping in price so I can throw one of those bad boys in.

It's not better at all. It's a pain in the ass having to open up the PS5 and swap the memory stick, vs just swapping the memory stick on Xbox (I'm now at a stage where I need 2 super-fast memory cards for both systems) Never mind the issue of Sony always needing to scan an HD should the system not shut down probably and that happens a lot with my PSV or how it took a bloody update to be able to use a SSD card on the PSV with out needing to transfer old games to a HD to play old games.

Both solutions had and have issues . I really wish for example you could plug in the meory card at the front of the Series X rather than the back and MS needs to sort out the price.

Lasha

No question win for PS5. My kids ration series games because I'm not spending near what I paid for the console to add storage. Especially when I have spare drives which work in the PS5. I really hope MS backs down and offers an official adapter or something.

Topher

Gold Member
That idea was really cool until the eBay sellers caught on and started wanting as much for the compatible SSD's as the official card.

The problem is those specific cards are not available at retail, only used or refurbished. So ebayers cornered the market on the only viable alternative

pasterpl

The only issue with Xbox solution is the price, otherwise it is superior (plug and play, easy to instal/remove etc). I myself got 1tb expansion card in my xbsx and 2 tb ssd via usb as a cold storage. That 4 tb are sufficient for me.

odhiex

The NVMEs solution on PS5 is very simple: open the PS5 cover plate, open the expansion bay, insert your NVME drive and screw it back, format it and done.

The whole process could be done in 1-2 minutes. No complain, especially when the price is reasonable.

Nydius

I completely agree with the article. Proprietary storage systems are stupid no matter who does them. The proprietary memory cards of the N64, PS1/2, Dreamcast, and GameCube era; Microsoft’s proprietary hard drive formatting for X360; Sony’s proprietary lock on Vita storage cards: all stupid.

The “hot swappable” feature of the Seagate expansion cards are a moot point for most people as they only have the one console and aren’t buying multiple cards. It’s really only useful for people who have a secondary Series S in another room which is a small fraction of Series owners.

The cost of the Seagate drive is the primary reason I don’t recommend the Series S to anyone. The limited storage of the Series S all but ensures you’ll need to buy an expansion card eventually, especially with the ballooning sizes of “Optimized for Series” games. For the cost of a Series S and a 1TB expansion drive, one may as well simply buy the better Series X. Constantly swapping 80-100+ gigs between an external drive and the internal SSD isn’t a viable option — it takes up precious gaming time and ruins the SSD with excess write cycles.

Microsoft really needs to work on an option to address this issue. Something like working on an official adapter that would allow a newer nvme SSD to work in the expansion card slot.

I got a 1TB expansion as a surprise Christmas present back in 2021. I wouldn’t have one otherwise because $199 for 1TB is ludicrous. I paid $129 for the 1TB Corsair SSD for my PS5 last June and today it’s under $100. The 2TB of the same model is $159.

sinnergy

I have no problem with it at all bought an extra 1 TB at launch, just plugged it in, done.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Got a 1tb 980 Pro for like 120 pounds on black Friday 18 months ago. Was very happy apart from having to take it out up root my pc and do a damned firmware update to get full speed...was annoying but not too bad.

Managed to fluke out on both my 1tb card for xbox and 2 to both with amazon prices. Got my 1tb for 149. 2tb price error for 249 but had to wait like a month for stock to ship.

Saying this. It's time for the prices to come down now MS. 2tb should be 249 TOPS! not on sale and 1tb for 149.

They need to sort that this year.

Lyrical

Banned
Pricing for Xbox SSD is still stupid high. I paid less for my PS5's SN850 a year ago. Proprietary is never the way to go. Installing the PS5 ssd takes like 2 minutes, I don't know why some people are acting like its a day job.

b0uncyfr0

Yap, agreed. MS needs to step up its game. They're losing on the storage front and newer games might be bigger.

I suspect they'll get their shit together this year. if not - Im buying a decent SSD and doing the USB3 route.

Three

The simple plug and play of the Xbox storage is brilliant. It’s great for those households with multiple Xboxes (children etc). The cost is just ridiculous. They should have come down by now.

I can’t comment on ps5 solution. When I had one, I just stuck with the internal
For the price of a single xbox SSD you could have bought 2 regular SSDs and installed everything on your multiple consoles instead of carrying them around the house and plugging them in and out of different consoles.

For the price of a single xbox SSD you could have bought 2 regular SSDs and installed everything on your multiple consoles instead of carrying them around the house and plugging them in and out of different consoles.
They’re ludicrously expensive, there’s no excuse for it.

Top Bottom