• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Xbox Series X $499, Xbox Series S $299, November 10th launch date

GHG

Gold Member
So it's real...

tenor.gif

ZywyPL

Banned
Nice, I'm really curios to see Sony's pricing now, how it stacks up, and what will be outcome in the first 1-2 years, how much market share each of the four SKUs will have - historically the lower priced consoles dominated the other, but there were other factors involved as well in the process, and now we will be able to see pretty much directly how the price alone determines the sales of a given console, I really wanna see the mindshare of the general public, do they care about 4K, do they care about exclusives, or do they just want to play whatever games and price is all that matters.

Wonder what Sony will come up with, because realistically, MS had to cut so much to get the XBS down to 299, and probably still sells it at a slight loss anyway, so I don't think just removing the BD drive will allow Sony to sell DE for 399, I think 449$ is more reasonable expectation, which then would put the standard PS5 in a very tough spot, because 499 would make the DE look like a really bad offer considering you're tied up to PS Store and its prices, while anything above XBX price is a no-go obviously. So I don't know, Sony will probably have to eat quite a loss on that DE and really put it at 399 if they want to compete with XBS offering, the digital distribution will make up any loss in the long term anyway, they just need to have guts to do it.

PS5: Best exclusives
PC: Best third parties and Xbox exclusives versions 💀

Nintendo: Best exclusives
PC: Best everything else

Hunnybun

I'm pretty sure the digital PS5 will be 399 now, because they need to get somewhere close to the Series S price point.

The question is whether they go 449 or 499 for the normal version. I'm still leaning towards 499, so they get some compensation for the possibility of those customers continuing to buy physical. But 449 would be a good headline for them and would take some attention away from the Series S price point.

VAVA Mk2

My prediction is $399 digital PS5 and $499 full PS5.

Sony can match Xbox's price and still feel like they can sell more.

Except really the only lingering question is whether or not Sony's machine somehow costs that much more than the XSX or if Microsoft is actually selling that thing at an enormous loss.

And MS last minute can announce a $449 price for XSX to sell more units. MS has the money to hedge that. Sony doesn't. This may be a strategy to bait Sony to announce price so they can do that.

Sony's VP head of European Business, Simon Rutter told The Telegraph: "I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game.

Still 8 hours of new content.

That aside, it doesn't matter to the average gamer because it's not being billed as Spiderman PS4 DLC. It's being billed as Spiderman: Miles Morales for PS5. In the eyes of the casual gamer this is a new game and it's going to sell tens of millions by the time the generation is over.

Kdad

Thinking 399 digital
And 499 disc
Reason they can go 399 digital is because there is no middle man taking a cut of their game profits like walmart, gamestop etc. They get all the money from purchases on the store, meaning they can have a lower digital price and make it up in software. Sony this gen alone sold more software then ms and nintendo combined.
Until EPIC comes along and sues MS and SONY for having closed ecosystems...

Ellery

If Playstation announced the disc drive below that price it would be an annihilating slaughterfest. They are probably not going to do that. Imagine a 399$ PS5. It would be skyshattering

thelastword

Banned
If I were Sony, I would go $499 on PS5 disc and $450 on the digital unit.....PS5 has enough features and investment with the SSD, the controller, Audio and ports to warrant an even more expensive price than Series X. The only difference between the Digital PS5 and Disc PS5 is that one is missing the bluray drive.

The Series S is an all digital console, but it's way underpowered compared to X, much different than Sony's strategy. You buy a PS5 and any version plays the game at the same fidelity, resolution and framerate. Not so with S. I think S will stay on shelves. Ain't nobody going to buy Series S a 4TF console when there is much more performance available on the X and on the PS5. Definitely not when you will get some really cheap GPU's; 3060, Navi 6700/6600/6500 that can play all of MS games in the $299 price range with much better capability than 4TF.......

The only thing that would make Series S appealing are good exclusive games just for XBOX, so since that's not happening, I think people will be quicker to make their investment elsewhere.....Series X will be MS's main console and it's what most people will buy. I don't see the Series S having much appeal or lasting too long in the market...

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
That’s decent pricing. Glad to see the XSX is not going for $600.

All eyes on Sony’s pricing.
Well, with All Access, there's a chance that could be more expensive. But I think that Sony will do a deal like that, with Plus and Now or something. Still good thou

SilentUser

Both are very well priced! Nice one, MS. And I really miss a big event like E3, this came out of nowhere in a sad way. Not even a single digital conferece to build hype and announce the price :(

FunkMiller

And MS last minute can announce a $449 price for XSX to sell more units. MS has the money to hedge that. Sony doesn't. This may be a strategy to bait Sony to announce price so they can do that.

🙄 PlayStation profit exceeded XBox revenue last quarter.

XBox does not have access to all of Microsoft’s money. It does not work like that.

Youve got it the wrong way around. PlayStation has more money to play with.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Thinking Sony goes $449/499.
I think if anything it would push the digital lower (I think they always wanted $499 for the regular one) because they can explain to their accountants and shareholders that the long term profits of cutting out the retail cut and keeping prices higher on PS store and no used games and higher chance of Now and Plus purchases can justify a bigger loss on all digital hardware

It's standalone Spiderman DLC artificially held off last gen systems so they can say they have a launch game. Let's not get too excited.

Any proof it can run the same on last gen systems?

And I'm saying it being "DLC" doesn't matter to the casual because it's Spiderman. It's going to sell tens of millions. And "DLC" or not, it's going to be one the best looking next gen games just like Ratchet and Clank is.

Mmnow

Any proof it can run the same on last gen systems?

And I'm saying it being "DLC" doesn't matter to the casual because it's Spiderman. It's going to sell tens of millions. And "DLC" or not, it's going to be one the best looking next gen games just like Ratchet and Clank is.
The original didn't sell tens of millions and it wasn't locked on a brand new console.

Ascend

That's a good price. Won't be getting it though. I'll patiently wait to see which GPU I'll be getting for my PC. I might get one of them two years or so down the line.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Sony has put their systems at greater losses before and they're in a much better position as an overall company than when PS4 launched to take a greater loss. Especially in gaming where ps4 is raking in massive profit and will continue to do so during this launch period when they'd be taking losses on ps5 hardware

splattered

Man the series S looks great for my kids.. except it's all digital. I went mostly digital this gen but my kids still have 360/xbo discs they play sometimes. My wife and I are both getting the series x for ourselves, now I gotta decide what to do for the kiddos. Hmm

Mmnow

It came out in 2018 and has sold 13.2 million as of last year. In 7 years this couldn't do 20 million?
...No. I'd say there's practically no way this even outsells the original unless it's very competitively priced.

A chunk of those were day one sales. A chunk were with consoles (no sign that's coming this time, but maybe). It sold 14m on a console with, what?, 100m or so sales at the time.

That's not to say it'll do badly, but if the original can't make 20m, there's no way this will. And even then, 20m is in no way tens of millions.

splattered

don't worry guys, sony will soon announce that they scaled back performance of the ps5 to a more stable 9tf and will offer the ps5 for only $399 U.S. Dollahs

ancelotti

An optical drive is considered premium now?
It could certainly be a piece of a premium package. There's nothing to say they can't include a few extra months of PlayStation Plus, exclusive skins, discounts, etc. on some kind of launch edition box. Of course, all of that messaging goes away if it's the exact same price as XSX.

Top Bottom