• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Xbox wasn't involved with Redfall, but it's still blamed for its quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Were you not around for the Don Mattrick era, it can go lower, a lot lower
That was a simple innocent attempt to put an always on camera/mic in everyone’s living room with an NSA back door as well as stripping everyone’s purchasing rights back to the Stone Age.

• The highest people in the company trying to insult and bully the UK
  • Having all of their ‘good guy’ persona and down right lies about cloud gaming and Game Pass not cannibalising game sales torn to shreds in the CMA’s findings as well as their true motivations finally being laid bare.
  • Continuing to learn nothing by releasing shite like Redfall to the 15m people that were sold a dream
  • Throwing one of their shiny acquisitions under the bus
The One at least had the sinister undertone of a mysterious plot being uncovered. This year has been like a bunch of chimps running a tea party.

SCB3

Like releasing a next gen console with no first party games?
Better than that, releasing a Next Gen Console with no first party games, limited to 900p on most games which was less than the previous console, focussing on being the centre of the Entertainment Unit and including a fucking Camera that no one wanted and then the design of the console was akin to a VCR, and this was after their biggest success in the 360, this was such an easy win for them in theory

The sheer failure of the Xbox One launch should be studied on what not to do, no wonder Sony got a massive lead with both Xbox and Nintendo fumbling hard

Crayon

I can't speak to the MVP program but if it's anything like the Windows/Office MVPs, they at least have some sort of actual direct connection to and oversight from Microsoft. If a Windows MVP starts handing out bogus information on their support forums, for example, they can (and will) be stripped of their status.

Ambassadors are just a viral marketing campaign that turns Xbox fans into brand marketers. I know, I'm in the program. It's literally just a web "game" within the brand. They have seasons, each of which have a different theme, and then you visit every month or so and they have "missions" for you to do which consist solely of visiting videos, visiting blogs, or visiting official forums to earn "XP" toward your next level. Then they encourage people to go to other forums and post what they're given through the Ambassador program. They also have a Discord server to reinforce the narrative.

Here, see for yourself. They just switched over to promoting Asian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month in addition to their normal game promotions and newly added accessibility "quest" hub. I enrolled years ago. I realized how pointless it all was when I hit "level 2 ambassador". I have better things to do with my time than constantly doing these meaningless quests.

grPIoKM.jpg

Well that would explain a lot. The page https://ambassadors.microsoft.com/xbox_ is presented like you are singing up to be a nice person in general. I'd like to see it for myself. I tried to sign up but I forgot my ms login. They probably have me blacklisted anyway.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Better than that, releasing a Next Gen Console with no first party games, limited to 900p on most games which was less than the previous console, focussing on being the centre of the Entertainment Unit and including a fucking Camera that no one wanted and then the design of the console was akin to a VCR, and this was after their biggest success in the 360, this was such an easy win for them in theory

The sheer failure of the Xbox One launch should be studied on what not to do, no wonder Sony got a massive lead with both Xbox and Nintendo fumbling hard
Did Forza not release on day 1? I thought it had. There is a bit of contortion on first party games (I believe that if the console maker own the studio or are the publisher it is first party), I imagine you call Ryse a second party game so that doesn't count. What second party games released day 1 on Xbox Series?

Crayon

Arkane tried something new and it didn't work out. Why do people get so upset over this.

Because it's inextricably wrapped up in the bethesda purchase and exclusivity and all that. If beth was still independent the game could be a disappointment and pass quietly. But there is a 20 year console war going on out there and people are dying.

sinnergy

Did Forza not release on day 1? I thought it had. There is a bit of contortion on first party games (I believe that if the console maker own the studio or are the publisher it is first party), I imagine you call Ryse a second party game so that doesn't count. What second party games released day 1 on Xbox Series?
Yes, Forza 5 was day one, was 1 of my launch games .

CGNoire

There paying for it arent they?

If so then there the ones who decide when its done. Who else we gonna blame?

Last edited:

skit_data

Lol, what a joke. These kind of arguments are primarily heard from warriors on forums.

They were obviously involved enough to use it as their ”one more thing”, involved enough to delay it and finally involved enough to kick it out of the door half finished because they realized if they didn’t they’d had broken the promise of ”these games will be arriving within 12 months” on every single one of the first party titles included there.

That’s an insane position to have taken in my opinion.

If you are going to showcase the game, own the IP and hang your brands reputation on in like you would any other first party game then you should be checking in on things and making sure the standard is there.

Have they done the same for Starfield?

mdkirby

Time to close the studio
critical people at arkane left years ago. Including the head of arkane Lyon, who is working on Darwin’s paradox, and an arkane co-founder and creator of dishonored and prey who founded a new studio that made weird west. The timing very much tracks with the change of direction at arkane and the ending of their “immersive sim” stuff in pursuit of experimental stuff with integrating multiplayer. They’ll have lost other staff in that journey too. If it is indeed the case that they simply aren’t the studio they were, then I wouldn’t be opposed to them closing, so the remaining key people can reform in some way in the spirit of what they once were.

mrmustard

Banned
Arkane tried something new and it didn't work out. Why do people get so upset over this.
You know why. If MS didn't have bought them we would have a two pages long thread about that crap game and everbody would have moved on. Same goes for Forspoken. But exclusive games always cause drama, because fanboys are weird.

Ozriel

M$FT
Fervent discussion about this on my WhatsApp group, certainly not kind to Microsoft at all.

Not sure what Jez expected to achieve with this article, but it’s backfiring pretty badly…and makes them look really silly.

Sometimes there are things you don’t defend. There’s nothing undeserved about the response. Arkane made a bad game, and made the choice to make a game with such unappealing visuals and poor AI. Microsoft should have much better quality control.

Some years ago, Phil promised to ensure better quality from Xbox after the Crackdown 3 debacle and Sea of Thieves launch reviews. To be fair, they’ve upped the quality game since then, but this is a terrible retrogression and Xbox bears ultimate responsibility

nemiroff

Gold Member
The information is most likely true though, and it kinda falls in line with existing information about MS studio autonomy. Just look at 343 and how they've been allowed to screw up for years seemingly without intervention. ..Which is baffling to me. With all of this going on Microsoft need to set up some sort of oversight mechanisms.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Don't blame Xbox, Phil and Matt for Redfall :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_crying::messenger_anxious::messenger_face_screaming:
Why would you blame the acquiring company for the outcome of a project that started before the acquisition? Do you people not realize how long it takes to integrate all the parts and that it takes years after a deal closes for management to fully sync up? Of course not because it is easy to have no clue, make assumptions and point fingers. The most Xbox could really do for a game is make some high level decisions. It is just as possible that Xbox implied they wanted the game released as it is that Arkane management wanted to push the release to impress the bosses.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Whatever Xbox’s day to day influence on the making of this game was, they were happy to release it to consumers in the fucking state it’s in.

Xbox are entirely responsible for this disaster, because the buck stops with them.

Any squirming and gaslighting by its media shills is not going to change that cold, hard fact.

Mr.Phoenix

The information is most likely true though, and it kinda falls in line with existing information about MS studio autonomy. Just look at 343 and how they've been allowed to screw up for years seemingly without intervention. ..Which is baffling to me. With all of this going on Microsoft need to set up some sort of oversight mechanisms.
This may be true... but that doesn't change anything. Its still the choice, action, or whatever of MS to be hands-off and give their studios that much autonomy. When all they need is to have a small team of people that goes around from Xbox HQ to these studios to make sure certain minimum standards are met. Because MS of all people should know that no matter how they go around dealing with these things, the final product would be reflective of their brand.

You don't purchase a studio/IP, fund its marketing, determine which platforms the IP can be on, put it on their service...etc, then when it reviews poorly, and is received poorly, you throw the studio under the bus and start saying you had nothing do with it.

I swear this is something that only MS can and will do.
Why would you blame the acquiring company for the outcome of a project that started before the acquisition? Do you people not realize how long it takes to integrate all the parts and that it takes years after a deal closes for management to fully sync up? Of course not because it is easy to have no clue, make assumptions and point fingers. The most Xbox could really do for a game is make some high level decisions. It is just as possible that Xbox implied they wanted the game released as it is that Arkane management wanted to push the release to impress the bosses.
You are kidding, right? like... you cannot possibly be serious.

I am honestly beginning to wonder what is worse, MS/Xbox? Or its fans. Just when I see something else MS/Xbox does or says and think to myself, how can this even happen or they do this... just on cue, I see stuff their supporters say that makes me go... wow.

If you guys do not or cannot hold them accountable.... who will?

Last edited:
Whatever Xbox’s day to day influence on the making of this game was, they were happy to release it to consumers in the fucking state it’s in.

Xbox are entirely responsible for this disaster, because the buck stops with them.

Any squirming and gaslighting by its media shills is not going to change that cold, hard fact.
Exactly, investors also just look at the bottom line which says: who did publish Redfall? The answer is Microsoft, the blame is entirely up to MS and all that nonsense about they just bought Bethesda 2 years ago and they couldn’t interfere if they wanted is such bullcrap.

They could have done so many things, trying a more hands on approach with one of their own studios because that’s what it is 1 day after the acquisition completed. They could have restructured the studio, they could have canceled the game and tell Arkane to start over. They could delay the game more until it would be good.

They did none of this and its entirely on MS management of which Phil is the end responsible person in charge. In fact, they used Redfall in their earnings call, they marketed it as the next great MS game etc. etc. Also, this is not the first time since the Series console that things go bad. It’s Halo too, and crackdown, and games like everwild that they even have no idea of what kind of game it’s going to be.

It’s Phil’s henchmen that make it that much worse, Booty, Greenberg etc. The whole Xbox management has to go home and call it a day. They had more than a decade to fix things and it’s never been more dire than now.

kyussman

I think Mr Jez is ice skating uphill on this one.....everyone will go direct to the top when looking for blame here......and when that guy at the top is constantly mouthing off about "doing better" and "we hear you" when it comes to game quality then it makes him a very valid target.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Found Jez Corden's GAF account.

BbMajor7th

If this were true this would be 1000x worse than just admitting it was rushed to support GP.

It also implies absolutely zero benefit to MS acquisitions beyond exclusivity, which would be sad to see and a massive waste of potential.
Quoting this one for truth. The biggest justification for these mergers is the additional marketing power, resources, expertise and funding that a platform holder can provide. Hi-Fi Rush was shadow-dropped with almost no marketing support and now we're being told that Microsoft took little-to-no interest in Arkane's latest project. If the only outcome is that these games will just appear on fewer platforms than they would have, is this really in anyone's interest?

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
“Doesn’t approach the quality bar of Xbox”

Crackdown 3 disagrees.

To be completely fair, at the very least, Crackdown 3 was perfectly playable with no other (major) problems other than it didn't set the world on fire like many were expecting (i.e, it was just mediocre).

Redfall on the other hand manages to lower the bar even more and therein lies the problem.

What a joke, those 8/10 and 7/10 reviews ? - if this is a 8/10 then other mediocre games like the order 1886, Crackdown 3 and Forspoken should have been 10/10 going by the (paid) reviews, again, as it stands, Redfall for all intents and purposes - and always in comparison - is literally a 2/10 -3/10 title.

Last edited:

John Wick

It's Jimbo Ryan again. How can he keep getting away with this?
First he pays for timed exclusives and now he's actually paying Bethesda to cancel the PS5 version and deliberately make a bad game for Xbox......

kyussman

I mean,taken in isolation you make a fair point......but I don't think people are taking this in isolation,but more of in the context of Microsofts handling of game releases.....and some of that may well be console warrior nonsense but I think there is a strong case to argue,they seem to have issues over there......just look at the whole release of Halo Infinite and that first gameplay demo,I don't think people are making this stuff up.

It's Jimbo Ryan again. How can he keep getting away with this?
First he pays for timed exclusives and now he's actually paying Bethesda to cancel the PS5 version and deliberately make a bad game for Xbox......
Jimbo, not the man we want, but the hero MS need!

Last edited:

GymWolf

They have. I'm just going off my own definition. I literally wouldn't call any Arkane game AAA. I think the game would have been received a lot better at $40-50.
The game has 20 dollars indie production values dude, hell i think that even fucking hades has better production values...

Their previous games were considered between AA and AAA but they always had great art design to punch over their weight.

This one looks like it was made with dreams...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Tried something new as in braindead enemy AI, poorly thought out controls, giant open world sections with no enemies, cars that blow up when you shoot the windows, melee kills by hitting a vampire in the ass…and that’s not even getting into the poor technical aspects.

This isn’t merely trying something new. This is knowingly releasing a giant steaming turd on gamers for $70. Arkane and Microsoft deserve every bit of being dragged through the mud for this.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Somebody's lying here.

The justification for Microsoft's acquisition spree including Zenimax was that their "war chest" would support and elevate the purchased studios to new heights. Whether or not the studios under Bethesda were in decline before the purchase (a burden I think Zenimax owners wanted to offload before they felt the bite), they seem to be hitting new lows after the fact. Releasing substandard "AAA" stuff is not outside of Xbox's wheelhouse anyway. If it isn't Forza or a game so small in scope that you could confuse it for something from multiple gens previous, there have been massive issues with Xbox first party for the entirety of Spencer's regime; most of it being when they only had a handful of studios to manage. I do believe that they've already got too many for their meager skillset, and that they can't commit even more resources amongst their 20+ studios and christ knows how many projects after spending billions.

People also claimed that the Gamepass model specifically allowed for flexibility of type of game, and gave a safety net for games to get delayed, and definitely not incentivize or even necessitate mediocrity by substantially cutting down the earning potential of any given title. I'm thinking that's now been officially debunked. There are mainstream games media outlets and pundits who flirt with putting it how it is, but I wonder how many more failures it will take before we finally stop having to debate this self evident fallacy.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Good to know Microsoft’s the deadbeat Dad of the industry.

I’m sure if Starfield’s a hit, they’ll be front and center going “that’s my boy!”

SaucyJack

What a dumb article, but ultimately unsurprising that a shill like Corden wants to have his cake and eat it.

Sure, Redfall was probably quite advanced in the development cycle when MS took over Zenimax, a deal that completed over 2 years ago. And sure, MS may have allowed Bethesda a lot of autonomy in how they’re run. However, you can’t hide from accountability. Microsoft own them and they’ve been an Xbox studio for over 2 years, decisions were greenlit, people obviously saw this at various stages in the development cycle and approved it to continue and approved its release.

My biggest concern with Xbox has been the incompetent management of their studios ….. since 360 days ….. and this story absolutely confirms my bias. 🤣

Riky

$MSFT
You can't have it both ways, Hi Fi Rush comes out and is superb and people say well it wasn't anything to do with MS as has been in development for years. The same situation applies to Redfall.
If MS is to "blame" for Redfall launch problems then it must also take all the credit for Hi Fi Rush.

Ozriel

M$FT
At some point, Spencer needs to get someone who’s going to go to these studios, play these games and give an internal quality seal before release.

I think we can establish that sometimes his own taste just doesn’t cut it.

vGJFKeT.jpg

Not the first time a quality promise has been broken

OEYuLjQ.jpg

But this should damn well be the last, FFS.

Have open days with each studio. Bring over senior staff from each studio for peer reviews. I refuse to believe the heads of Coalition, ID and Machine gun games would play through Redfall and not raise an alarm if asked for candid feedback. Hire more QA people and have detailed quality checklists.

Not exactly rocket science.

Pelta88

Fervent discussion about this on my WhatsApp group, certainly not kind to Microsoft at all.

Not sure what Jez expected to achieve with this article, but it’s backfiring pretty badly…and makes them look really silly.

Sometimes there are things you don’t defend. There’s nothing undeserved about the response. Arkane made a bad game, and made the choice to make a game with such unappealing visuals and poor AI. Microsoft should have much better quality control.

Some years ago, Phil promised to ensure better quality from Xbox after the Crackdown 3 debacle and Sea of Thieves launch reviews. To be fair, they’ve upped the quality game since then, but this is a terrible retrogression and Xbox bears ultimate responsibility

I never thought I'd see the day when O Ozriel criticized XB. No need to reply in a disrespectful manner Oz as that was my genuine thoughts. Respectfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom