• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GameBoy emulator, Purple Cherry, is out on the marketplace, and it is absolutely fabulous. I got Final Fantasy Mystic Quest to boot up :) and will now waste time on my 100th playthrough of this gem

Firestorm

any map apps that feature public transportation routes? gmaps and boogle(?) don't have bus directions.
So fucking annoying that Bing Maps doesn't offer transit instructions -.- Mango Transit is decent and what I used yesterday. Only if Bing proper has transit instructions for your city I think.

Firestorm

Anyone been having trouble with Facebook? A little while ago my Facebook Chat wasn't really working so I had to sign in and out which thankfully fixed it. Now my "Me" tile only updates for the first comment / like, but then doesn't for the rest...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Here is a picture of the burn in on my Focus.

image.jpg

Troll

Banned
I have burn in all on the bottom of the screen where the address bar is now on the browser from the last version of IE.

Help me WP7GAF you're my only hope - gave my wife my old HD7 (updated with latest software), worked fine (she's on pay as you go) on O2 (UK). Now, when she gets a text message, she'll get the notification, but the text won't appear in the thread. Nor will anything she sends in a thread.

She has also found missed calls no longer appear in the list, despite the live tile saying she has one.

I've tried everything but a hard reset (delete and restore to factory settings) - any suggestions before I go that route? She's a tad grumpy that it'll mean wiping all her texts/photos etc etc.

Maybe this is old info but I hadn't heard it before.
link
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 will synchronise your progress across Xbox 360 and Windows Phone versions of the game.

Want to take your Sonic save with you when you leave the house? No problem. Finish playing on your Xbox 360, save the game, then boot up the game on the bus via your Windows Phone. You'll pick up right where you left off.

Microsoft has long been touting the possibility of synchronising saves across platforms, although Sega is among the first to implement it, Sonic's brand manager Ken Balough told OXM.
Anyone know anything more about this? Do you have to buy the game twice?

PG2G

Maybe this is old info but I hadn't heard it before.
link

Anyone know anything more about this? Do you have to buy the game twice?

I'd be surprised if you didn't have to buy the game twice. If you didn't, its be a huuuge deal. The games are in two distintcly different marketplaces.

Hopefully this will change with Windows 8/Xbox Next

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I remember reading when I looked this up earlier that blue burns in quicker on SAMOLED (or maybe AMOLED in general) :/

You would think burn in on a phone wouldn't be an issue since it is never at the same spot for very long and the screen turns off in a few minutes.

You would think burn in on a phone wouldn't be an issue since it is never at the same spot for very long and the screen turns off in a few minutes.

My old HTC Diamond had some serious problems with burn in, but that was mostly because the display always had to be turned on while syncing. Very annoying.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Help me WP7GAF you're my only hope - gave my wife my old HD7 (updated with latest software), worked fine (she's on pay as you go) on O2 (UK). Now, when she gets a text message, she'll get the notification, but the text won't appear in the thread. Nor will anything she sends in a thread.

She has also found missed calls no longer appear in the list, despite the live tile saying she has one.

I've tried everything but a hard reset (delete and restore to factory settings) - any suggestions before I go that route? She's a tad grumpy that it'll mean wiping all her texts/photos etc etc.

Sounds like only a factory reset may be your only option.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Reading WMPU/WPCentral on a daily basis, it seems to me that Nokia is the only one left around lol.

Yes and well no. At this point I mean HTC already released 2 versions of the Titan which are basically the same phone anyways. Samsung dropped 2 new versions of the Focus as well.

WTF else can you expect them to do at this point? The 2nd gen phones were already like 80% side upgrades as it is. Anything they'd release now would just be a different form factor.

Nokia just was behind since they partnered with MS for WP later than the others. So they are like 6 months behind HTC and Samsung in terms of current WP7.5 products. Once the 900 hits it'll be the same for Nokia as the rest. No point in releasing another phone as they'll have all of the market covered. Nothing else they could conceivably make.

So yeah until then as Brot would say it's "wait for Apollo" time for everyone.

On another note Apollo needs to get here fast. I finally got some experience this week with someone's Samsung Galaxy Nexus and holy shit. While ICS is a rather large step up from Ginger that really wasn't a wow factor. It was more the fact that OMFG@THATSCREEN! Probably similar to people getting the new iPad now. You wouldn't think it makes that much of a difference but gosh damn 1280x720 kills my GF's Android Phone and my Windows Phone.

Hell just give me that HTC One X releasing across carriers which is sort of like the Titan I/II with Apollo on it., and I'd buy that shit day 1.

I'm really going to be interesting to see what Apple does this year. Most of their customer base seems to love the current phone size, and the resolution the 4/4S has it already omg awesome for that size. Still I don't see Apple wanting to give up being tops in the resolution game with all of the 720p ICS phones hitting this year. I just don't see how they can beat 1280x720. Hell even matching that seems crazy if they are going to stick with the 3.5" screen. I'm just not sure if Apple really wants to change the actual screen size.

Fucccckkkk I really wanted to wait till this time in 2013 to get a new phone, but it's going to be hard to pass up a new phone this year if everyone is sporting 720p + resolutions on all the platforms. I know at the very least WP will make the jump along with Android even if I'm not totally sure wtf Apple will do. I don't really care about better inards other than just a bump to power a high res screen and keep the current Mango smoothness.

tomedo

Im getting a Lumia 800 next week, please recommend me a good podcast app! Obviously I need one that pauses the podcast when I get an incoming call. Can the pre-installed apps handle this or will I need something else?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Im getting a Lumia 800 next week, please recommend me a good podcast app! Obviously I need one that pauses the podcast when I get an incoming call. Can the pre-installed apps handle this or will I need something else?

the built-in Zune app does that. I actually think everything does that because Windows Phone will pause any audio when there's a call.

Vanillalite

So brotkasten after seeing how clear and amazing the text is for web browsing on your new iPad does it make you want a new WP device with a higher res screen?

Honest question btw.

Troll

Banned
So brotkasten after seeing how clear and amazing the text is for web browsing on your new iPad does it make you want a new WP device with a higher res screen?

Honest question btw.

I played with the new iPad today, it was pretty cool. I like the high resolution on the screen. It makes the older version look pretty bad when they are side by side.

Honest question btw.
The screen on my phone has 252 PPI, that's close to the 264 PPI of my new iPad. Could it be better? Of course, I love displays with a high pixel density and I can still see pixels on my phone's display, but it's no where near as bad as my old iPad. I'm happy for now (and lol @ everyone with a 4"+ Windows Phone).

E: that doesn't mean my next phone won't have a higher resolution.

Vanillalite

man i don't know how you guys can see pixels. also brot what is your current phone?

You can't really tell watching a movie or playing a game. It's all about text. It also depends on how far you hold your phone from your face. It's also one of those things that isn't that noticeable in and of itself.

Take the new iPads for example. You can't tell the iPad 2 is really a big step down until you put it side by side with the iPad 3.

Biggest problem is some of the newer hyped WP7 stuff like both the Titan and Titan 2 are like a full inch bigger than some of the new Nokia stuff. Considering WP has one standard resolution and on smaller devices an inch difference is a big deal.

Honestly my 4" focus has a ppi of 233. It's not as good as the 3.5-3.9" phone stuff, but it works. Going to something of the 4.3 or 4.7 variety though really makes a noticeable difference in text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom