• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rb20H.png

Windows Phone is Microsoft’s latest smartphone operating system. Build from the ground up, with touch controls in mind.

The first thing you will notice about Windows Phone 7 is that it doesn't use the "wall of icons" interface popularized by Apple's iOS platform. Instead, you will see "live tiles" which correspond to specific functions and "hubs". Hubs are groups of related applications that work in tandem with one another. Examples of standard hubs include Xbox Live, Microsoft Office, and Music + Video.

jooOs.png

Live Tiles automatically update on your home screen with information. In addition to applications and hubs, you can set individual bookmarks, contacts, maps, songs, and more as their own tile for quick access. With the upcoming Mango update, Microsoft takes the concept of Live Tiles even futher.

The software is linked to your Live ID, much like Android phones are linked to a Google Account. If you have Xbox Live, Hotmail, Live Messenger, or one of Microsoft's other services, you already have a Live ID to use. By using your Live ID and linking it with social networks like Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr, etc. many of your built-in hubs like People and Pictures will automatically pull from and push to those services.

g9lCy.png

With Windows Phone 7, Microsoft aims to simplify the workflow for the most common functions people use their phones for. It integrates services as they make sense rather than relegating everything to its own specific application. It's a phone that lets you do what you need to, then put it away so you can get back to your life.

aYAKL.png

Zune is an essential part of the Windows Phone 7 experience. Much like iTunes on the Mac, Zune is the way to interact with your media and your Windows Phone on your Windows PC.
You can buy or rent music and movies from the Zune marketplace, buy apps for your Windows Phone or just stream the entire music collection from the Zune marketplace with your Zune Pass.

With Zune right built into the Music + Video hub, every Windows Phone 7 becomes a Zune. You'll be able to purchase music and apps from your device and with Zune Pass you can stream millions of songs over WiFi and 3G.

7GdOI.png

For the first time since the launch back in 2006, the Zune music service and marketplace will be available to consumers outside the US. However, the service won't be the same in every country.

Zune Pass:
The Zune Pass subscription service offers unlimited music streaming and is available in following countries:
USA ($14.99 per month, keep 10 DRM-free songs per month)
UK, France, Italy, Spain (£8.99 / €9.99 per month)​

Zune Music:
The Zune Music marketplace offers over 10 million DRM-free songs and is available in:
US, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany​

Zune Video:
Video purchase is available in:
US, UK, France, Germany, Canada, Australia and New Zealand​
Movie rental is available in:
US, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Mexico, Canada, Australia and New Zealand​

Podcasts
The Podcast section of the marketplace is only available in
US, Canada​
A workaround is available in the FAQ.

fR5zb.png

To prevent the fragmentation that plagued the old Windows Mobile operating system, Microsoft has now specific hardware requirements for the manufacturers.

All Windows Phone 7 devices, at minimum, must include the following:

Capacitive, 4-point multitouch screen with WVGA (800x480) resolution
1 GHz ARM v7 "Cortex/Scorpion" or better processor
DirectX9 rendering-capable GPU
256MB of RAM with at least 8GB of Flash memory
Accelerometer with compass, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor and Assisted GPS
5-megapixel camera with flash
FM radio tuner
6 dedicated hardware buttons - back, Start, search, camera, power/sleep and Volume Up and Down​

Q6Bry.png

axGgj.png

018H9.png

UwXjt.png

jD3Hr.png

SEIwE.png

WsOww.png

O5iTI.png

Pbhrb.png

0Rgmk.png

g73x9.png

Anandtech: Windows Phone 7 review
Engadget: Windows Phone 7 review
Gizmodo: Windows Phone 7 Review: Ladies and Gentlemen, We Have Ourselves a Race
Neowin: Windows Phone 7 review
PCMag: Windows Phone 7 OS
TechChrunch: Review: Windows Phone 7
WSJ: A Review of Microsoft's New Windows Phone 7

Phones:
GSMArena: Samsung I8700 Omnia 7 review: A whole new galaxy
Engadget: Samsung Omnia 7 review

Gizmodo: Samsung Focus review
PCMag: Samsung Focus
Brettison on NeoGAF: My Windows Phone 7 review (coupled with the Samsung Focus)

Engadget: HTC Surround review
PCMag: HTC Surround
Engadget: HD7 review
Engadget: HTC 7 Mozart review
Engadget: LG Optimus 7 review
Engadget: HTC 7 Trohpy review

dwrHR.png

Will it run old Windows Mobile apps?
No. Windows Phone 7 was built from the ground up and has nothing in common with the old Windows Mobile operating system and is not backwards compatible with Windows Mobile applications.​

How do I install apps?
You can only install applications over the marketplace. You can access the marketplace with your phone or the Zune software client on your Windows PC. You can not use Microsoft Points to pay for applications.​

Who will distribute the system updates?
Microsoft will handle all updates for the operating system. If you buy an unbranded phone („Open Market Device“), you'll get the update as soon as it's released. Locked phones still have to go through carrier verification tests. To install any updates you have to use the Zune software client.​

Do I need an Xbox Live Gold subscription to use Xbox Live on the phone?
No.​

I can't find any podcasts in the marketplace
Microsoft restricted the podcast marketplace to the US and Canada. However, you can unlock this section in the software by simply launching this reg script, provided by Rafael Rivera, author of the WithinWindows blog.​

I have a Mac. How can I sync my files?
Microsoft released the Windows Phone 7 connector for Mac on the Mac App Store. You can find it in the download section.​

Which codecs are supported in Windows Phone 7?
Windows Phone 7 supports following codecs:
AAC (.m4a), H.264 (.mp4, .m4v), MP3 (.mp3), MPEG-4 Part 2 (.mp4, .m4v), WMA (.wma), WMV (VC-1) (.wmv)​

How can I sync Audiobooks with my Windows Phone?
Unfortunately there’s no official audiobook support in Windows Phone 7.
What you can do: Rip the book as mp3 file, change the genre to podcast and copy the audiobook into your podcast folder. That way, the book will show up in the podcast section and will support audio bookmarks (continue where you left off).​

I downloaded/updated the Zune software and now every time I try to play an MP3, the software is using 1 GB RAM or more. How can I fix this?
It's a known bug with v4.7 and the Zune team is working on it. What might help is to reset your media collection database.
DL: Zune media collection reset tool

dalth.png

Zune Software Client
Windows Phone 7 connector for Mac
Windows Phone 7 SDK
Petzold’s Programming Windows Phone 7 (free eBook with code samples)

delirium

Man I was thinking of getting an Android phone but WP7 looks great. I think I'll wait a little longer to see Gingerbread and make my decision then.

Magni

HYPE HYPE HYPE! :D

Been F5'ing Orange since last Monday waiting for the prices to come up, the phones launch in 25 minutes here (France), and they're still not on the page! grrr

That Mozart Omnia will be mine! :D

Einbroch

Banned
Great OP. Depending on how much the community gets behind this OS I might be picking one up next year.

Still don't like the box layout, though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I should be getting my Samsung soon. If I don't like it I'll switch to HD7 probably. Xbox live is the only thing that I care about but hopefully the other features surprise me

Also, I like WP7. People should get used to it pretty soon :)

As much as I was drooling for the Dell Venue Pro for months, thanks to the fact that it's not on AT&T I'm going for the Samsung Focus. The more I pay attention to it, the more I'm falling in love with it. As much as I would like to have a physical keyboard, I'll be just fine with the on screen keyboard (especially since MS has put a lot of time and effort into it).

One feature of the Focus that I'm going to love is the dual microphone noise cancellation (seen in PDF here: https://www.att.com/Common/merger/files/pdf/Samsung_Focus.pdf the HTC Surround also has this: https://www.att.com/Common/merger/files/pdf/HTC_Surround.pdf ). Based on the demonstrations that I've seen, it's absolutely awesome.

In other news, you can find the achievements for many WP7 games on the Xbox360 Achievements site. Can't wait for the achievement hoarders to get in here (though the Xbox Live games are definitely more expensive than "normal" games, on the order of $3-7 for a typical XBL game it seems).

Can't wait to pick mine up in November! :D

jagowar

Iced_Eagle said:
As much as I was drooling for the Dell Venue Pro for months, thanks to the fact that it's not on AT&T I'm going for the Samsung Focus. The more I pay attention to it, the more I'm falling in love with it. As much as I would like to have a physical keyboard, I'll be just fine with the on screen keyboard (especially since MS has put a lot of time and effort into it).

I actually kinda wish the dell venue pro had a non keyboard option (like the thunder for android). I am pretty much set on the venue pro because of the bigger battery & amoled screen vs the hd7 (since I am switching to tmobile) but the keyboard is the one thing that worries me about the venue pro because it will add extra weight and bulk to the phone and also create something that is a moving part which is more prone to breaking. As a current palm pre user I am probably more worried about a sliding keyboard than I should be though (the pre's is pretty horrible).

TylerD

Iced_Eagle said:

Paul Thurrott thinks the Focus is the best out of all of them. It has the fantastic screen and it is the lightest and thinnest of the bunch and the curvature, while not aesthetically pleasing, makes it very comfortable to hold. The memory can also be expanded to 40gb!

Did I mention the screen is amazing? :)

MisterNoisy

Already preordered the HTC 7 Surround from Best Buy - I don't care about the speakers or the .1" or so of thickness they add to the phone compared to the other AT&T launch models, but I like the basic shape of the Surround and HTC's build quality.

I really wanted the Dell, but unlike a lot of people, I actually like/get good service with AT&T and don't want to switch providers, particularly since TMo service is pretty terrible here.

Based on the salesperson's reaction to my preorder request at BB, Microsoft definitely has an uphill battle ahead of them with the WP7 launch - mine was apparently the first WP7 order they'd taken in that store and it took a fair amount of time to get it taken care of.

On the bright side, I'm certain to get my phone on Nov 8 - I can't wait to uninstall iTunes forever!

trinest

Thinking about the Trophy cause I can order it from Expansys and its not locked to any carriers- but maybe they will offer other HTC ones later (so far its the only one on the AU store).

Good price too- but I have to work for it haaha!

thirty

Banned
Now, which phones can we confirm have stereo speakers? Surround is a given but how about the Venue Pro and the HD7?

Firestorm

Don't know wy you were doubting your graphics abilities. Just the visual flair an OT needs without being overwhelming.

Still awaiting info on unlocked Dell Venue Pros and which bands they'll be on. Also awaiting info on contact management. Hopefully EuroGAF can shed some light on what happens with Contacts if you sync your Hotmail/Messenger ID with WP7?

Firestorm said:
Don't know wy you were doubting your graphics abilities. Just the visual flair an OT needs without being overwhelming.

Still awaiting info on unlocked Dell Venue Pros and which bands they'll be on. Also awaiting info on contact management. Hopefully EuroGAF can shed some light on what happens with Contacts if you sync your Hotmail/Messenger ID with WP7?

I don't know. Maybe because I had something more complex in mind, but I guess it's okay now.

e: I expect mixed reviews, esp. since some essential apps like YouTube are still missing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm going to keep an eye on how Windows Phone 7 goes. I had a Windows Mobile 5 device for over 3 years (Motorola Q) before I finally upgraded to Android but I definitely enjoyed my Q. It did me well over the years. I absolutely ADORE the interfaces on my Zunes as well as the Zune software and it's obvious that it has transferred over to this OS. I'm going to keep a watchful eye.

venne

Paul Thurrot on the AT&T launch phones:

HTC Surround. This one is billed as a media- and gaming-centric device, thanks to its weird slide-out dual-speaker and kickstand, which lets you prop the thing up on a table or whatever. It comes with a 3.8-inch screen, 16 GB of (non-expandable) storage. It also includes a superior LED flash for the camera and auto-focus. In use, the quality of the speaker has been underwhelming, the device is large, thick, and heavy, and I'm unimpressed.

LG Quantum. This device comes with a 3.5-inch screen and16 GB of (non-expandable) storage, but it's biggest selling points are a slide-out hardware keyboard (which some still think of as a requirement) and DLNA support, which is used for media streaming to and from compatible devices (and Windows 7-based PCs). That last feature could be added to any Windows Phone through software, by the way. And I'm no fan of hardware keyboards after three years of iPhone use. So the LG wasn't of any interest to me, almost immediately. But I suspect its "real" keyboard will drive some sales.

Samsung Focus. This is my personal favorite and I fell in love the moment I saw it. The Samsung Focus has a superior 4-inch Super AMOLED screen (easily the best looking screen on all Windows Phone devices), 8 GB of storage (expandable to 40 GB with micro-SD), a camera with LED flash and 720p HD video capabilities, and is the thinnest and lightest Windows Phone by far. In fact, it's so light, you think it's an empty fake demo model at first. This phone is beautiful. Hands down, it's the best AT&T phone. It's not even close.

scorcho said:
in the Gizmodo review of the Samsung Focus - http://gizmodo.com/5668400/samsung-focus-review

this is modern journalism! how edgy!

Gizmodo is always like that. And don't forget, they're bloggers, not journalists.
they're only if it's convenient
:lol

Anyway, Engadget reviewed the HTC Surround.

Well, what can we say? The HTC Surround does a fine job running Windows Phone 7, and if that's the only criteria by which you're going to measure it chances are you'll be quite happy. But Microsoft is launching 10 devices this month, and there are two other choices on AT&T alone which do an equally fine job of running the OS. The Surround needed to bring a lot to the table in order to justify being bigger and heavier than the Samsung Focus while lacking the QWERTY keyboard of the LG Quantum, and we just don't think a pair of average speakers and a kickstand provides that justification -- especially since Windows Phone 7 doesn't take full advantage of either. We'd love to be more positive about what is fundamentally a fine piece of hardware, but if you're looking for a Windows Phone 7 device on AT&T at launch, we think you should (cough) focus your attention elsewhere.

6/10

The good:
Well built
Runs Windows Phone 7 well
Quick camera

The bad:
Speaker design not worth the size / weight penalty
Camera doesn't take great pictures
No landscape support in software
Engadget: HTC Surround review

Einbroch

Banned
Sounds perfect to me. Can't get a new phone until next October, and by that time these phones should be fleshed out and ready to go!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Paul Thurrott said:
Before the iPhone, frequent software updates were uncommon in the smart phone world. Today, they're necessary. Like a PC, a smart phone is a multi-function device that gets better over time as you add more features. There are two ways to do this: Manually, through apps and automatically through software updates. These software updates can include security and bug fixes, too, of course, just as happens on Windows. But they can also add new features, either individually or through larger system updates.

Microsoft has pledged to update any and all Windows Phones over time. And they will do so, though the schedule remains unclear. There is, however, one wrinkle to this scheme that only came to light in the past few weeks. While Microsoft had previously maintained that it would completely bypass any controls put in place by wireless carriers and update Windows Phones directly, just as they do with Windows-based PCs, that is not the case. Instead, Microsoft is working with the wireless carriers to ensure that the updates they release pass whatever testing bars the carriers have put in place. Only when these updates have passed the tests will they be given to users. So its theoretically possible that a carrier, like AT&T, could hold up a big update for a month or more before handing it off to users.

Suffice to say that this news created a bit of an uncomfortable moment for everyone involved in a recent reviewer's workshop. But let the record show that I went to bat for consumers, with representatives of AT&T in the room, repeatedly, and interrupted attempts to move the conversation along. There's a cute feel-good vibe going on right now between Microsoft and AT&T, but I want to be clear about this: I do not trust the wireless carriers to do the right thing. Neither should you. And neither should Microsoft.

Here's what we were told. "We build updates for all Windows Phone users, but must certify them with the carriers," Microsoft corporate VP Joe Belfiore said. "They'll happen on a regular cadence like they do on the PC. If a carrier wants to stop an update they can. But they will get it out on the next release."

"Updates are cumulative," he added. "If one [carrier] doesn't get their testing done in time, the next push date comes and it goes out then. Carriers could in fact block updates to sell you a phone. That can happen. But we don't expect that to happen. We are not going to push updates onto carrier networks that they have not tested. Microsoft is being very trusting of the carriers here. This is very different from the situation with Windows Mobile where every phone was very different. With Windows Phone, there is no impact on OEM code, network code, and so on. Yes, there are upgrades that will require a full test pass. But most will not."

I told Belfiore that Microsoft could technically could push updates through their Zune software and bypass the carriers entirely, obviating the silly need to test and retest these updates and make users wait for new functionality. "Who is in control here?" I asked, "the carrier, Microsoft or the user?" His response: "In theory, the user. Carriers get that the end users want this value."

I do not trust the carriers to do the right thing. After all, they never have. But I will wait to see what happens.

Regarding future updates, Microsoft is shipping "a very compelling update very, very soon," I was told. I suspect that means before or for the late October/early November launch.

And as for how these updates will occur, Microsoft (and not the carriers) will host the updates on its own servers. (And go figure, unlocked phones will get the updates directly from Microsoft, bypassing the carrier silliness entirely.) The mechanism for updating is very much like Apple's, Microsoft.

Based on my experience installing multiple updates over the past several months, I can tell you that updates smaller than 20 MB can occur, over the air, right on the device. Bigger updates will require the Zune PC software and USB-based connectivity. Which again begs the question: Why even let the carriers have a say in this?

http://www.winsupersite.com/mobile/wp7_03.asp
Greeaaaaaatttt

Sucks big time that the aesthetically sexy phones (Venue Pro, HD7, Omnia 7) aren't on ATT. Is this timed exclusivity or is this set in stone?

So people here like the Samsung Focus, in terms of function/features? I just hate the look...but I really want a 7 phone. Gah!

With both the Surround and Optimus appearing to be sucky, I may have to explore switching cell carriers (away from Telus) if I want one of these phones.

I really didn't want to do that... I should probably just upgrade to an iPhone or something.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Windu said:
Greeaaaaaatttt

They should just provide the service and let Microsoft handle the software.

They should just provide the service and let Microsoft handle the software. Why do they even need to test updates when it has nothing to do with them? maybe they could explain that.

this just sounds like something that is going to come back to bite them

Mudkips

Banned
D4Danger said:
They should just provide the service and let Microsoft handle the software. Why do they even need to test updates when it has nothing to do with them? maybe they could explain that.

Hello, This is AT&T customer support.

YOU SENT ME SOME UPDATE AND NOW MY CAT NOTICED SOMETHING HE DIDN'T LIKE! Make it go back to the way it was!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom