• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Mudkips said:
Hello, This is AT&T customer support.

YOU SENT ME SOME UPDATE AND NOW MY CAT NOTICED SOMETHING HE DIDN'T LIKE! Make it go back to the way it was!

yeah, I thought that after I posted.

giga

Here's Anandtech's review with some quantitive data: http://www.anandtech.com/print/3982

25168.png

25169.png

25171.png

25172.png

25167.png

phantom13

Neo Member
Mr. Snrub said:
Sucks big time that the aesthetically sexy phones (Venue Pro, HD7, Omnia 7) aren't on ATT. Is this timed exclusivity or is this set in stone?

So people here like the Samsung Focus, in terms of function/features? I just hate the look...but I really want a 7 phone. Gah!

I'm on the fence right now about the Samsung Focus. At first, it just looked plasticky and cheap to me but some of those pics in the Gizmodo review, especially when the sun is shining off the glossy back, make it look pretty nice.

I think I'd also prefer an HTC phone, they just seem more professional and the xda community for them is great, but that's no dealbreaker.

besiktas1

I'll read the reviews tomorrow at work, then get home and order a shiney new Omnia 7 (I hope) I'll keep you updated tomorrow :))

Has there really been no word on multitasking? Not mention of future plans?

I guess my biggest apprehension with moving from the iPhone is the feeling of "downgrading". Especially with those performance charts, the Samsung focus marked pretty average, if not bad, yet it's getting great reviews...?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Woah I had checked engadget earlier after dinner with no big updates yet. Just clicked on this thread only see gadget had upated with a bunch of reviews. w00t!!!

phantom13 said:
I'm on the fence right now about the Samsung Focus. At first, it just looked plasticky and cheap to me but some of those pics in the Gizmodo review, especially when the sun is shining off the glossy back, make it look pretty nice.

I think I'd also prefer an HTC phone, they just seem more professional and the xda community for them is great, but that's no dealbreaker.

We seem to be in the same boat. I just like HTC's overall look polish and feel better than what Samsung is offering. Problem is the Samsung phone appears to be the better phone. Plus I hate having to spend $200 for an 8 gig phone even if I can upgrade since it'll cost me more to you know upgrade and buy a dang memory card.

Vanillalite

Hey giga thanks for the reference! Sadly the graphs are what I expected. I LOVE the UI, but the #1 thing that made me hesitant about the device was the browser. I just knew it was gonna get owned comparatively from the start. Hopefully it gets updated over time to bring it closer to snuff.

I'd kill for Opera Mobile though, and would easily throw down the 5 bucks and it would solve all my problems! :lol

besiktas1

Lol downloaded the zune app in preparation looks very nice, I'm guessing/hoping it the same thing on the phone, guess I'll find out when I read the review tomorrow. I'm going bed, good night gaf x

Brettison said:
Hey giga thanks for the reference! Sadly the graphs are what I expected. I LOVE the UI, but the #1 thing that made me hesitant about the device was the browser. I just knew it was gonna get owned comparatively from the start. Hopefully it gets updated over time to bring it closer to snuff.

I'd kill for Opera Mobile though, and would easily throw down the 5 bucks and it would solve all my problems! :lol
Yep, the benchmarks are as expected. Good thing is, Microsoft can update the browser independently from the rest of the OS and they're working on a new IE Mobile version. But still ... :lol

e: Someone from the WP7 team will be on the next Engadget Show in two days. Should be interesting.

venne

giga said:
Here's Anandtech's review with some quantitive data: http://www.anandtech.com/print/3982

[IMGhttp://images.anandtech.com/graphs/wp7_102010191901/25168.png[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://images.anandtech.com/graphs/wp7_102010191901/25169.png[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://images.anandtech.com/graphs/wp7_102010191901/25171.png[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://images.anandtech.com/graphs/wp7_102010191901/25172.png[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://images.anandtech.com/graphs/wp7_102010191901/25167.png[/IMG]

Sounds like Anand/Brian didn't find the synthetic tests to match up with their experience.

"It’s really amazing how fast and capable WP7’s browser feels, and having a competent, modern browser is of huge importance for any modern smartphone platform. Microsoft has done a great job making Trident feel snappy, but where it falls short are some of the popular web standards compliance tests.

What’s shocking however is that, so far, it hasn’t really mattered. I’ve spent a week using WP7’s browser, testing every page I can think of that I visit on a daily basis, and have yet to encounter anything that doesn’t render properly or crashes the browser. Never once have I been want for more in fact, outside of the font rendering qualms we noted prior.

Obviously, better HTML5 support is the future, but it’s pretty shocking just how usable the browser feels otherwise while still scoring so poorly on these tests.

What’s surprising is that in spite of all this, the WP7 browser feels fast. It’s amazing just how much extremely fast UI can change one’s perception entirely. Slower page loading times aren’t as big of a deal anyways, since you can leave the browser and go do something else entirely while the page keeps loading. It’s obvious that WP7 makes a WebOS-like tradeoff here, sacrificing snappiness in some places for the ability to go do other things while pages are loading."

Engadget's HTC HD7 review is up.

What can we say that we haven't expressed already? The HD7 is pretty much what you thought it would be. It's that same 4.3-inch blueprint that HTC has exploited to great success with the HD2 and EVO 4G, applied to the brand new Windows Phone 7 operating environment. The first question you'll truly have to answer for yourself is whether or not you want to be aboard the WP7 gravy train. We remain staunch believers that a smartphone is only as good (or as bad) as its software, so decide on your OS first and your particular handset second. If you're still with us, we'd recommend the HD7 as a solid WP7 device choice, but with a few caveats.

The build quality is a step below the finest we've seen, landing the HD7 in the "passable" category, while the display may achieve a high level of brightness, but it goes to waste thanks to its poor contrast and viewing angles. For a device aspiring to woo us with its multimedia features, this, along with middling sound output from its stereo speakers, renders the HD7 a failure if measured purely by the boasts of its promotional materials.

But we judge by our own standards here, and the reason we like the HD7 is that it seems to be just about the perfect size for us. It trades little in the way of added bulk for an awful lot in added real estate and general usability. We know we like to beat the drum about pixels on these digital pages, but sometimes inches matter just as much. And lets not forget that we're still living in a world where nobody has yet managed to deliver a truly impressive 4.3-inch display, never mind the fanciness of Super AMOLED, so HTC deserves commendation for at the very least trying, and we reckon we might be happy dealing with a less Super panel that just gives us more of what we want. Provided what we want is Windows Phone 7, of course.
HD7 review

As expected.

Vanillalite

venne said:
Sounds like Anand/Brian didn't find the synthetic tests to match up with their experience.

"It’s really amazing how fast and capable WP7’s browser feels, and having a competent, modern browser is of huge importance for any modern smartphone platform. Microsoft has done a great job making Trident feel snappy, but where it falls short are some of the popular web standards compliance tests.

What’s shocking however is that, so far, it hasn’t really mattered. I’ve spent a week using WP7’s browser, testing every page I can think of that I visit on a daily basis, and have yet to encounter anything that doesn’t render properly or crashes the browser. Never once have I been want for more in fact, outside of the font rendering qualms we noted prior.

Obviously, better HTML5 support is the future, but it’s pretty shocking just how usable the browser feels otherwise while still scoring so poorly on these tests.

What’s surprising is that in spite of all this, the WP7 browser feels fast. It’s amazing just how much extremely fast UI can change one’s perception entirely. Slower page loading times aren’t as big of a deal anyways, since you can leave the browser and go do something else entirely while the page keeps loading. It’s obvious that WP7 makes a WebOS-like tradeoff here, sacrificing snappiness in some places for the ability to go do other things while pages are loading."

I just finished that part on the Anand review and though it's a strange dichotomy as well. Seems like the rest of the UI since it's heavily GPU weighted everything is smooth. It just lacks under the hood improvements.

IMO the bigger key here isn't just how the browser is, but rather how fast MS will roll out browser updates. IMO they are rather slow on the PC side of things. Google and Opera seem to update a shit ton, Mozilla and Apple occasionally, and MS seems to update once every few years. This fact needs to change in the mobile space.

So one of the reviews mentioned how you can't have custom ringtones in WP7. Is that the "bottom line"? I don't really understand this decision.

jagowar

Brettison said:
I just finished that part on the Anand review and though it's a strange dichotomy as well. Seems like the rest of the UI since it's heavily GPU weighted everything is smooth. It just lacks under the hood improvements.

IMO the bigger key here isn't just how the browser is, but rather how fast MS will roll out browser updates. IMO they are rather slow on the PC side of things. Google and Opera seem to update a shit ton, Mozilla and Apple occasionally, and MS seems to update once every few years. This fact needs to change in the mobile space.

zune's typically follow the xbox model of updating.... 2 big updates a year. I think its very likely wp7 will follow the same model.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac, beta due October
Microsoft is set to release a beta version of Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac on October 24.

The connector will allow Mac users to sync their Windows Phone 7 devices with iTunes and iPhoto. Neowin has been able to take an early look at the beta software and can confirm the beta is very stable and functions well. Windows Phone 7 Mac users will be able to sync Music, Videos and Photos to their phones.

The Windows Phone Connector sits on top of Apple's iTunes/iPhoto for Mac and interacts with both software programs using public APIs. Microsoft says it has not had to work with Apple in order to implement the connector. The install package is extremely lightweight at only 1.5MB. The application will also receive regular updates in the future. It's not designed to replace the Zune experience from the PC and we hope that Microsoft considers writing a full Zune application for Mac in the future.

At a Windows Phone 7 reviewers workshop, held last week in London, Microsoft's Head of UK Consumer Windows Phone Marketing, Oded Ran, confirmed a public beta will be released on October 24 and a full release will be available "later this year".
0ticx.jpg

jagowar said:
zune's typically follow the xbox model of updating.... 2 big updates a year. I think its very likely wp7 will follow the same model.
From Paul Thourott's Review:
Regarding future updates, Microsoft is shipping "a very compelling update very, very soon," I was told. I suspect that means before or for the late October/early November launch.
also there will be a update that brings stuff like copy/paste in January so it looks like they may be releasing a lot of updates instead of just a couple big ones.

I think I will buy one of these, once they get a bit cheaper, so i can finally get rid of my htc magic, that i screwed up and dont know how to save.
now, i need moneyz.

Himuro said:
As you can tell from my zune thread I'm angry they're supporting windows phone 7 but not zune software on mac osx. That's the final straw.
I don't understand why this tool doesn't support the Zunes. This is beyond stupid.

MCD

Will WP7 support East Asian/multilingual support by default?

As in, can I read/write Chinese/Arabic...etc using the web browser or the messaging hub?

Vanillalite

Windu said:
From Paul Thourott's Review:
also there will be a update that brings stuff like copy/paste in January so it looks like they may be releasing a lot of updates instead of just a couple big ones.

Wish we knew what was in the so called big update. Then again since it doesn't launch till early/mid Nov in the States the update might be out pre release here.

What I wonder though is if the update is for the Zune software or the Phone?

B-Dex

Should I go for a Captivate or hold out a bit longer and get a Focus once it's out (i'm in Canada on rogers :p)

YouTube and Last.fm are finally on the marketplace.

I'm not sure if it's a joke, but the screenshot of the YT app is actually a screenshot of IE Mobile on the mobile YouTube site. Which is strange, considering that the IE Mobile doesn't play any YT videos. :lol

wrKmo.jpg

txy8Z.jpg

Vanillalite

B-Dex said:
Should I go for a Captivate or hold out a bit longer and get a Focus once it's out (i'm in Canada on rogers :p)

You sound like me. I'm on AT&T and it's between the Captivate or a Focus unless I got an iphone. I'm probably just gonna hold out for the focus.

PG2G

brotkasten said:
YouTube and Last.fm are finally on the marketplace.

I'm not sure if it's a joke, but the screenshot of the YT app is actually a screenshot of IE Mobile on the mobile YouTube site. Which is strange, considering that the IE Mobile doesn't play any YT videos. :lol

I think its because the YT is just a plugin, it isn't a full app that lets you browse. To find the videos you have to go on the actual YT site

Vanillalite

Everyone seems to be pimp'n out Zune Pass which is nice and all, but I guess being an AT&T user alls I can see is a way for me to easily max out my data plan way to fast. :lol

MisterNoisy

brotkasten said:
I don't understand why this tool doesn't support the Zunes. This is beyond stupid.

To be honest, I think any sort of Apple support for either WP7 or Zune is just to keep the bloggers happy. The part of the Venn diagram that includes the Mac-only users that don't already own multiple iPods/iPhones represents probably no more than 500 people worldwide.

Vanillalite

MisterNoisy said:
To be honest, I think any sort of Apple support for either WP7 or Zune is just to keep the bloggers happy. The part of the Venn diagram that includes the Mac-only users that don't already own multiple iPods/iPhones represents probably no more than 500 people worldwide.

To a rather large extent I'd agree. I'm not sure of any people that would get a W7P while rocking their mac book that doesn't already have an iphone/pod. That being said more support is always nice, but I can see why they'd initially rather focus their support and man power else where.

venne

Brettison said:
Everyone seems to be pimp'n out Zune Pass which is nice and all, but I guess being an AT&T user alls I can see is a way for me to easily max out my data plan way to fast. :lol

Can't you download Zune Pass music onto the device when you sync?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
PG2G said:
I think its because the YT is just a plugin, it isn't a full app that lets you browse. To find the videos you have to go on the actual YT site
Yeah, I read the description and was wondering about that, since I though the IE Mobile doesn't allow plug-ins.

Vanillalite

Himuro said:
This is silly thinking.

Apple has branched out and realized that just because someone owns a piece of hardware doesn't mean they stick with that company's products. Case in point, the amount of Windows users who had ipods. Yet Apple allowed it possible for windows users to sync their ipods to windows computers. The software isn't the greatest on Windows but it works and at least it has support.

We're looking at multiple reasons as to why Microsoft so behind in the tech game, whether it's mp3 players, phones, or whatever: they are always behind, no matter what.

And that's I'm going to sell my Zune after years of support and just buy a fucking ipod.

Apple HAD to do this though because of desktop market share if it really wanted to become ubiquitous. MS needs to do this as well, but the way the market pans out it's nothing that HAS to be done now in comparison to other stuff they need to get done 1st for the software and the phones themselves.

PG2G

Himuro said:
This is silly thinking.

Apple has branched out and realized that just because someone owns a piece of hardware doesn't mean they stick with that company's products. Case in point, the amount of Windows users who had ipods. Yet Apple allowed it possible for windows users to sync their ipods to windows computers. The software isn't the greatest on Windows but it works and at least it has support.

Makes sense to me. Apple had to branch out because the mac user base was so small that it would make it nearly impossible for iTunes to ever become a major player. The number of potential customers on Windows far outnumbered the number of potential customers on mac. This is definitely not the case with Windows Phone 7.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Well the only phone that interests me isn't available in Australia. Looks like I will be dropping the iPhone for Android then I'll have a look at what the WP7 scene is like in a year.

MisterNoisy

Himuro said:
This is silly thinking.

It's an interesting situation. MacOS represents somewhere between 5-10% of installed PCs but their most profitable/successful products require a PC of some flavor to connect to for actual use. Of course they need to release a Windows client because their stuff is only marketable to a small group of users without it.

On the other hand, Windows is on 80-90% of PCs, but wants to expand into Apple's consumer electronics/smartphone domain. They're far better served putting money into making sure that their own users (80-90% of the ultimate potential userbase) have a bulletproof experience than making sure that people that don't use their desktop OS are happy with their new CE products. Like I said - the only thing that changes the equation is that certain blogs are very Mac-heavy so it does pay to cater to them to some degree for the good press.

Firestorm

WHAT THE HELL CARRIER UPDATES dfadsafas
Ok. Unlocked phones apparently don't have that issue. I guess I know what route to take.
B-Dex said:
With the way Rogers has been handling the Captivate you'll get a Focus before it anyway.

Himuro said:
This is silly thinking.

We're looking at multiple reasons as to why Microsoft so behind in the tech game, whether it's mp3 players, phones, or whatever: they are always behind, no matter what.

And that's I'm going to sell my Zune after years of support and just buy a fucking ipod.
I think Microsoft just needs to get used to the idea of people actually wanting to use their products after years and years of unusable tripe. It's amazing looking at how much they've advanced in the usability and "holy crap that looks awesome i want that" space in the last five years.

VPhys

After reading Anand's LONG review I come away surprised with allot of what Microsoft has succeeded with with WP7.

However there is one area where they ultimately failed and that is with the MicroSD implementation. Microsoft treats your expandable storage as an extension of the proprietary locked internal hard drive. Meaning, you can't just take our your microsd card and put pop it into your pc or laptop to start transferring pictures and videos. Your SD cards is essentially a brick once it's outside of the phone and it must be formatted inside the phone before it works again. This defeats the entire point of having expandable storage in a smartphone and will ultimately keep me from buying a WP7. I'll stick to Android and WebOS 2.0 for this reason.

venne

Firestorm said:
I think Microsoft just needs to get used to the idea of people actually wanting to use their products after years and years of unusable tripe. It's amazing looking at how much they've advanced in the usability and "holy crap that looks awesome i want that" space in the last five years.

To me, it's pretty mindblowing that iTunes/iOS is from Apple and Zune/WP7 is from Microsoft. When I look at both of them, it seems like they should come from the opposite company.

Firestorm

Hexic Rush costs money? :( I thought it would be free like Hexic on XBLA. Can we use Microsoft Points to buy any of these?
VPhys said:
After reading Anand's LONG review I come away surprised with allot of what Microsoft has succeeded with with WP7.

However there is one area where they ultimately failed and that is with the MicroSD implementation. Microsoft treats your expandable storage as an extension of the proprietary locked internal hard drive. Meaning, you can't just take our your microsd card and put pop it into your pc or laptop to start transferring pictures and videos. Your SD cards is essentially a brick once it's outside of the phone and it must be formatted inside the phone before it works again. This defeats the entire point of having expandable storage in a smartphone and will ultimately keep me from buying a WP7. I'll stick to Android and WebOS 2.0 for this reason.
If you can create a backup, you'd be able to expand in the future. It just requires a full hard reboot of your system. We still haven't been told how fast our MicroSD cards have to be though...

It's much like iOS except you can configure your phone to be up to 40GB depending on the card you buy without having to buy a different model of phone.

Maybe I'm just not as worried because I've been on an 8GB iPhone 3G for the past 2 years.

venne

VPhys said:

Why would you ever need to physically sync your media when WP7 can do it automagically via wifi while you charge the device?

Anandtech said:
Wireless sync takes place after 10 minutes of uninterrupted charging when you’re on the right wireless network. I say uninterrupted because the first time I set this up, I waited with the device plugged in and used the phone - sync didn’t happen. It has to be idle on your desk for 10 minutes, and then sync will happen automatically.

There’s also no way to manually trigger a wireless a sync from the phone or Zune interface. It just happens on this 10 minute schedule, and by appearances checks for changes every 10 minutes or so as well while plugged in. While the device is syncing, there's little indication that a sync is in progress unless you try and fire up the Zune hub or take a photo. Unplugging the device during wireless sync seems to halt the sync elegantly.

What’s best about this process is that all same data that gets synced over USB makes it over wireless. Photos, videos, music - it all happens. There aren’t arbitrary restrictions about file size, and it’s decently speedy.

Vanillalite

VPhys said:

I still swear this is purely for piracy reasons that they did this.

That being said since you can sync over USB or wifi is this really a big deal in terms of transferring? IMO it's a bigger deal in that you have to factory reset to upgrade your card.

trinest

venne said:
To me, it's pretty mindblowing that iTunes/iOS is from Apple and Zune/WP7 is from Microsoft. When I look at both of them, it seems like they should come from the opposite company.
No they are from the right company.

Firestorm said:
Hexic Rush costs money? :( I thought it would be free like Hexic on XBLA. Can we use Microsoft Points to buy any of these?

The payment options on the Zune marketplace don't make sense. You buy music with Microsoft points and WP7 apps/games with your credit card. I know they're in transition to get rid of the MS points system in the Zune marketplace and I know why they're using points in the first place, but it's so stupid.

VPhys

Brettison said:
I still swear this is purely for piracy reasons that they did this.

That being said since you can sync over USB or wifi is this really a big deal in terms of transferring?

I can think of quite a few situations, here are just some.

If I'm on vacation with my digital camera, I like the option of taking the MicroSD card out of the phone, popping it into my camera to take pictures, and then back into the phone for viewing/sending. Of if I run out of space with the SD card in the camera, I can use the MicroSD card on the phone as backup storage.

Another is simply being able to use your MicroSD card across devices (tablets/laptops etc.).

Oh, and for transferring large files (movies, lots of music) the cloud will never be as fast as a hard connection with a card reader.

Vanillalite

brotkasten said:
The payment options on the Zune marketplace don't make sense. You buy music with Microsoft points and WP7 apps/games with your credit card. I know they're in transition to get rid of the MS points system in the Zune marketplace and I know why they're using points in the first place, but it's so stupid.

The death of having to use space bucks will be SOOOOO FUCK'N WELCOME! :lol

Vanillalite

VPhys said:
I can think of quite a few situations, here are just some.

If I'm on vacation with my digital camera, I like the option of taking the MicroSD card out of the phone, popping it into my camera to take pictures, and then back into the phone for viewing/sending. Of if I run out of space with the SD card in the camera, I can use the MicroSD card on the phone as backup storage.

Another is simply being able to use your MicroSD card across devices (tablets/laptops etc.).

Oh, and for transferring large files (movies, lots of music) the cloud will never be as fast as a hard connection with a card reader.

The 1st few points make sense. I don't get the last point though. I mean how is plugging the device in via usb " the cloud"? I mean it IS a hard connection.

I understand your feelings though if you like to share the memory card around. That does kind of kill that. I'm more pissed that I have to hard reset everytime you swap it back in.

PS: I still swear this is all totally done purely for piracy sake.

Brettison said:
The 1st few points make sense. I don't get the last point though. I mean how is plugging the device in via usb " the cloud"? I mean it IS a hard connection.

I understand your feelings though if you like to share the memory card around. That does kind of kill that. I'm more pissed that I have to hard reset everytime you swap it back in.

PS: I still swear this is all totally done purely for piracy sake.

Pretty much. If you look at the Android situation, then I don't think it's really surprising that Microsoft went that way.

T-Mobile's site for the HD7 is online. 16GB, $199, available on November 8.
http://htc.t-mobile.com/hd7/

PG2G

VPhys said:

That's funny, I kinda feel like its the perfect compromise. It gives you the ability to have more storage than you bought and also keeps you from having to manage a file system and think about what goes where.

It kinda sounds like the issue you have is less with their MicroSD implementation and more the fact that you need to use the Zune software to access everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom