• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So quick question..anyone with a dell venue pro for att? Is it a good phone to pick up off contract until later this year when I have my upgrade due. If not any tips to what phone to buy..thanks

Your phone isn't developer unlocked? I thought this method required a dev unlocked phone, it would be awesome if it didn't since Chevron isn't selling any more tokens.

I am pretty sure you don't need to unlock it. I have that update well since it came out. I post how to here and no one seems to care.

I don't give a shit anymore about Microsoft caving in to At&t, I just think they just don't have the ball and the clout to stand up to carrier with their marketshare in single digits. As long as they leak workaround I don't mind updating my own phone.

On the update note, for those with Titan and have the data connection problem. I noticed that if the phone lost data for long period of time (such as when I am at work and in the clean room for long period) the data connection seems to fail after that and you have to reboot the phone. Also putting phone on airplane mode for extend period seems to trigger the same bug on the Titan.

Microsoft quietly announced on March 19 that Thom Gruhler had been appointed the new Corporate Vice President of Windows Phone Marketing. He is replacing Achim Berg, who was the most recent Windows Phone Marketing Vice President. Berg left that post in November 2011 to become head of Operator Channels at Microsoft. (Berg spearheads relationships with “operator, hoster, cable and media partners to create new business opportunities and bring innovative services and devices to consumers, small businesses and enterprise users.”)

Gruhler’s job is to run marketing, advertising and communications for Windows Phone. At McCann, most recently, Gruhler was the global managing partner of Telecom & Technology.

According to Microsoft’s press release, Gruhler was the leader of McCann’s Verizon business, leading the team that developed the “Can you hear me now?” campaign. He also oversaw relationships with other key McCann clients, including Mastercard, Kohl’s and McCann Worldgroup’s Sony Ericsson, the release said.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...windows-phone-marketing-and-advertising/12212

Good luck, Thom! You'll need it.

vV8Ce.png

Yes, that will do it!

Article about how Wordament came to be
Think it's an interesting read.
The game was created as a side project by John Thornton, 37, and Jason Cahill, 38, who worked on the Windows Live photo team and had offices next to each other. They built the game after Microsoft began a "moonlighting" program in 2010, encouraging employees to build Windows Phone apps in their free time.
Later that month, the Xbox Live group asked them to distribute "Wordament" through the game service. The Xbox group then hired them, where they're now the principals of a new studio expanding "Wordament" and developing new titles.

f0lken

Apparently Tango is supposed to increase the multitasking cards from 5 to 8. That is a good number for me.

What I don't like about the app drawer in WP is all that wasted, boring space when they easily could fill it with the 5 cards you can have or something more useful, I was bored and couldn't sleep so I tought of this (I know its not correctly aligned :p)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I just picked up an SGH-i677. I got tired of fighting my iphone.
So is there any point in jailbreaking this thing? Is the homebrew scene worth getting into or is it just a bunch of crap?

No real reason to jailbreak it, to be honest. I bought a developer unlock to get the screen capture app, but I haven't looked into the homebrew scene. So unless you find something that really annoys you and there is a good homebrew solution, I don't see the point.

You say you moved to this platform to stop "fighting" your phone. I get what you mean, and I definitely think this OS is way more maintenance free than Android.

watershed

Banned
I have a question for those with a windows phone. Can the windows phone 7 act as a wifi hotspot and if so do you think 6GB a month for data would be enough for regular internet use at home without getting a separate internet service? I'm thinking about this as an option in my new apartment.

For reference, I don't download movies, hardly ever download music, I do download pictures for power points, and watch a fair amount of youtube. If someone could give me a rough idea of how long or how much internet activity 6GB would cover I'd really appreciate it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question for those with a windows phone. Can the windows phone 7 act as a wifi hotspot and if so do you think 6GB a month for data would be enough for regular internet use at home without getting a separate internet service? I'm thinking about this as an option in my new apartment.

For reference, I don't download movies, hardly ever download music, I do download pictures for power points, and watch a fair amount of youtube. If someone could give me a rough idea of how long or how much internet activity 6GB would cover I'd really appreciate it.

Windows Phone can be used as a wi-fi hotspot but your phone manufacturer needs to enable it. I have a Samsung Omnia 7 and I received a firmware update that enabled wi-fi sharing.

As for 6bg a month, if you're not downloading hd video or large files it should be enough. It's about 200mb a day which is more than enough for general browsing.

an average website will probably be about 300kb-1mb and a fraction of that afterwards thanks to caching.
an average youtube video is probably about 4-10mb depending on the length.

Sweet. BBC are doing an iPlayer app for Windows Phone:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/20/bbc-iplayer-app-xbox-360/

good news. I would hope to see 4od and Five as well now they're all on the 360.

watershed

Banned
Windows Phone can be used as a wi-fi hotspot but your phone manufacturer needs to enable it. I have a Samsung Omnia 7 and I received a firmware update that enabled wi-fi sharing.

As for 6bg a month, if you're not downloading hd video or large files it should be enough. It's about 200mb a day which is more than enough for general browsing.

an average website will probably be about 300kb-1mb and a fraction of that afterwards thanks to caching.
an average youtube video is probably about 4-10mb depending on the length.

Cool, thanks for the info. I don't actually use much internet at home, I'm only home for an hour or 2 a day before I hit the sack. But I was worried about using my phone as a wifi hotspot at home and using 4g throughout the day at work and about.

Do you have any rough estimate of how much data 4g consumes through daily usage? All I really do is check email, words with friends, draw something, and facebook. I don't stream videos on my phone or anything that seems data intensive.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
yea i am not waiting till oct.

common 900, your only 3 weeks away.

I can't believe MS and Nokia are ok with their best device essentially being stealth released by at&t. I'm sure there will be sporadic advertisements after release, but I really thought this phone would've been a big deal for the platform. Guess not.

Nero3000

So the developers behind Cocktail Flow and App Flow have released a new app: Weather Flow. Looks really good.

primaryImage

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/apps/ae13c46a-eed5-4c1a-8873-160c1635bbfa

Marketplace Listing said:
Introducing the most beautiful weather app. The one with the best live tiles. Ever.

Don't let bad weather take you by surprise! Whether it's raining, cloudy, clear, warm or cold, Weather Flow will provide you with current weather conditions, hourly and daily forecasts. Forecasts and weather conditions are provided for your city and multiple locations around the world.

Pin your current location on your screen and the two sided live tile will show not only the current conditions, but also how the weather will be compared to yesterday and if it's a good idea to pack an umbrella. Add multiple cities to the app and switch between them to see what their weather is like - perfect for when you're planning to travel. Spice up the visuals by switching between a Metro theme and a visually rich theme, using which ever you're in the mood for.

5ac18f6a-90f8-4e82-8a51-b22fbb2ab792
f0fae6ae-b9f1-4b41-b3e9-d74e4159f120
e0bd96c8-298d-431b-85dd-d03b4ee60c5e
39c2cbe2-617f-4431-b471-44c54530313e
b492e41b-164b-4f07-95b7-21527f28b69a

PG2G

I can't believe MS and Nokia are ok with their best device essentially being stealth released by at&t. I'm sure there will be sporadic advertisements after release, but I really thought this phone would've been a big deal for the platform. Guess not.

It's just as much (or more so) Nokia's job to market the phone. All of the news from CES pointed at Nokia spending a significant amount of money on marketing in the US this quarter. Let's wait until the phone is closer to release and see what happens, it is still a month out from the rumored dates.

ronito

No real reason to jailbreak it, to be honest. I bought a developer unlock to get the screen capture app, but I haven't looked into the homebrew scene. So unless you find something that really annoys you and there is a good homebrew solution, I don't see the point.

You say you moved to this platform to stop "fighting" your phone. I get what you mean, and I definitely think this OS is way more maintenance free than Android.

So far I have to admit I'm rather impressed. I don't get why people rag on it all the time. I mean so far it's been incredibly functional. I certainly don't have to fight it like I did my iphone. God I hated that.

My only complaint is that I can't just set an mp3 on my phone as a ringtone. Nor can I find an easy way to do that. Any help?

frontieruk

So far I have to admit I'm rather impressed. I don't get why people rag on it all the time. I mean so far it's been incredibly functional. I certainly don't have to fight it like I did my iphone. God I hated that.

My only complaint is that I can't just set an mp3 on my phone as a ringtone. Nor can I find an easy way to do that. Any help?

It's some sort of archaic ritual of Cutting an mp3 to be :-

39 seconds or shorter
smaller than 1 megabyte (MB)
saved in MP3 or WMA format
not copy-protected (i.e. DRM free)

Then set the id3 genre tag to ringtone, xda has a thread for people sharing tones so you may want to look there and there are a few sites/apps to create them for you.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Only annoying part is I'm OCD about my characters dying even if I win the battle. Like my whole party HAS to survive or else I want to reset. That's a pain for me because that dungeon in the 1st town is instanced and level scaled. I always beat the one dude down there, but my top guy always dies. Grrrrrrr!!!!

PS: I swear this is like reliving the late 80s/early 90s all over again for me. LOL

hwalker84

It's some sort of archaic ritual of Cutting an mp3 to be :-

39 seconds or shorter
smaller than 1 megabyte (MB)
saved in MP3 or WMA format
not copy-protected (i.e. DRM free)

Then set the id3 genre tag to ringtone, xda has a thread for people sharing tones so you may want to look there and there are a few sites/apps to create them for you.

You pretty much had to do the same thing with the iPhone. But just download easyring.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It does look like the 900 on Rogers is only coming in black initially according to the specs on Nokia's website. That is not cool.

Edit: Also, is there anyone on this thread who is using an unlocked Lumia 800 on Rogers?

Weather Flow looks great, but seems to have less features than WeatherMaster, and the Live Tile doesn't update as frequently, as well (at least for me).

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

Mainly because there are people out there who want to see wp7 fail. And I can't blame them, MS can pull some werid shit at times (like that whole xbox devs having to pay 40k per dlc thing, but minecraft gets off free (don't qoute me on this I could be wrong. So very wrong)). And the rest are ethier fanboys or trolls....or both.

Totakeke

Tried out Zombies!!! today, seems like a pretty decent game that actually has multiplayer which is so lacking in the games selection.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Tried out Zombies!!! today, seems like a pretty decent game that actually has multiplayer which is so lacking in the games selection.

They need to add asynchronous multiplayer, which they said they are going to do. Also, I tried the demo for PES 2012, it is pretty good.

Nokia does what anyone else doesn't.

Nokia firing all cylinders for Windows Phone marketing in Australia

Since the Australian launch of the Lumia range earlier this month, Nokia seems to have done more Windows Phone marketing in Australia than any other device manufacture and Microsoft combined. If carrier sell-outs are any indication, it’s working.

For most of this week I’ve been traveling to the Melbourne CBD and it’s been surprising just how much Lumia advertising I see day to day – on several bus shelters, train station displays, tram stops and even on the back page of MX – a popular free metropolitan newspaper. Altogether I see it at least 6 times a day.

In companion to the media blitz, Nokia Australia has ran and is planning to run several promotional events in three major cities – the first being an augmented reality game in the heart of Sydney (video above). Although it’s not to the scale of what we’ve seen in London or Chile, but still a notable to build product awareness.

Since the product speaks for itself, I applaud Nokia for at least spending a responsible amount of effort in trying to market it. The same can’t be said for any other of the Windows Phone OEMs. I wouldn’t be surprised if all those distinctive WP7 notification sounds I keep hearing on the trains are mostly from Nokia devices.
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20...ders-for-windows-phone-marketing-in-australia

Oh wow, I seriously can't believe how easy it was to update to 8107 (the keyboard fix update). Of course, I have a Chevron unlocked phone, but if you do, don't hesitate, it's as easy as upgrading to the Mango beta last year.

No more disappearing keyboards, WOOHOO!!!!

ScreenCapture12.jpg

And yes, brot, I know you told me this months ago. I just needed to get pissed off enough at the disappearing keyboard to go through with it. Hopefully my wifi is improved as well, I had been having issues where if I lost wifi, it also killed my 3g/4g signal.

Does it also fix the focus s keyboard lag w/ audio turned on?

Nope, it certainty did not fix that lag issue. I actually hadn't checked it until you brought it up. It seems like something only a specific Samsung firmware update will fix.

that's unfortunate..

I would have been willing to consider acquiring a focus S again if they had fixed that.. I'll just wait for the win phone 8 devices at this point, I think.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
that's unfortunate..

I would have been willing to consider acquiring a focus S again if they had fixed that.. I'll just wait for the win phone 8 devices at this point, I think.

It was never a dealbreaker for me since I could just turn off audio. The keyboard disappearing was a huge annoyance however, and so it was worth the mildly risky update process to get the 8107 firmware.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Hello fellow Windows Phone 7 users! Just this week I received my Samsung Focus (refurbished) from Amazon. It did not come with a memory card and I've found out that there are several requirements that need to be met for my phone to use one. The most important one, it seems, is that the card has to be compatible with Windows Phone 7.

So what types/brands of memory cards should I use? Is there an official list?

hwalker84

Hello fellow Windows Phone 7 users! Just this week I received my Samsung Focus (refurbished) from Amazon. It did not come with a memory card and I've found out that there are several requirements that need to be met for my phone to use one. The most important one, it seems, is that the card has to be compatible with Windows Phone 7.

Check the Samsung focus board on xda

There are some that are confirmed to work, and a few that are actual "official" cards to use with it. Check the XDA forums.

Fake edit: beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom