• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Eh, pretty sure that's around what I got on my old iPhone 3G and it was ok. It's just nice to have my phone as a backup in case I need internet on my laptop when there's no WiFi.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks that the 900 is only launching in black with Rogers. I guess that means I can wait a bit longer. Also why is the 800 only available in black at Best Buy and Future Shop??

derFeef

Any chance that Wordament is getting other language support? I totally love it, but I totally suck at it because I am not a native english speaker. I am proud though because I am the only Austrian who seem to paly this, and I am ranked above english speakers ;-)

MS Nerd is leaving the leaking game and runs a Q&A at reddit. Here's the Windows Phone related stuff:

so here is what I want to know...Windows Phones 1st, 2nd gen and Windows Phone 8. Any hope for upgrades?

Yes, all current Windows Phones will receive a subset of Apollo. The carriers are the primary obstacle in the US. I hear Microsoft is pushing hard for a Mango-like delivery schedule, as are Nokia & HTC.

Some Apollo features will be exclusive to the 3rd-gen devices expected to be released this fall on the MSM8960 platform.​

[–]bragic

One more if possible...is it safe to assume major carriers (ahem, AT&T) will continue to pass on the minor updates to WP7 (8107 for example) and only do the major ones, like Tango..er Windows Phone 7.5 Refresh...

Yes. And the Tango situation is muddy at best. It helps to be Apple when you find yourself in this sort of stuff.​

[–]glutarol
Are there metrics when MS will dump WP7 (eg consistently low market penetration for 5 years, 2 good non-nokia OEM devices per year) or will they be in it, no matter what it costs?
In it no matter what it costs. That said, expect to see more cross-platform services, especially for iOS.​

[–]glutarol

Will Microsoft put a ring on it and marry Nokia?

No, it will remain a civil union.​

[–]mattydread

do you think windows phone will soon become part of the windows group?

The orgs are separate, but well-connected. If you mean Sinofsky, well it already kinda has​

[–]tomassplatch

are there any plans of making the WP more "open" in Apollo? Like enabling USB connection, using it with Linux, more personnalisation (setting default apps)? Do you have any information on this? What is Nokia's role in designing the WP8?

Yes. For instance, WP becomes a "true Microsoft platform", like the Xbox & WoA(8) & you'll see Windows Phone Companion in lieu of Zune desktop client.

Nokia's role is in defining chipset support (beyond Qualcomm), designing the camera-to-software interaction model, antenna & battery design, languages & regional services, etc.​

[–]Aurash91

Can you talk about windows phone and where you see the platform going? Integration with windows 8?

The platform has a downward (spec/cost-wise) pull from Nokia & an upward pull from the Windows org. Capability-wise, it will be as good as iOS & Android, give or take some by-design differences, from the end of this year onward. Market-share wise, optimistically achieving 20% at its peak. Pessimist view: 10%.

Integration with Bing, Office, Windows & Xbox will be the best Microsoft has ever done in that respect to date. In other words, nowhere near as good as how Apple does things.​
http://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/r4q5l/iama_someone_who_leaks_information_about/

A lot of that(entire thing, not just phone stuff) reads like someone who has either heard or read various rumors and puts their own opinion on it.

A lot of bullshit mixed in with sporadic truths.

Are you saying that you're in the position to confirm or deny anything he said?

I'm in position to have read many tweets and posts from the past that have been nothing more than speculation that always end up being qualified with "oops, can't predict MS politics."

edit- And when I say bullshit I mean more like speculation presented as inside info as opposed to it being factually wrong.

Gaspode_T

I can't officially state that the guy is pulling facts and numbers out of thin air but there are a lot of words there that might as well be the equivalent of "stick figure man drawing line graphics" picture that always gets posted in gaming side sales threads. It's pretty easy to sniff out when someone is stepping out of their league, must be some sort of low level guy who thinks he knows everything. It happens a lot, it's hard to avoid bad apples in a barrel of almost 100,000 people. Take it with a grain of salt. The only thing he said I can easily agree with is that MSFT will not be giving up on WP, and you'd be an idiot to think they would be satisfied aiming for 10% share.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What? Where does it say that. I thought that was only the pre orders =/

On Nokia.ca it only lists it in black and I got this tweet from Rogers when asking about the cyan model at launch:

can't say for sure what will come in the future. For now, we'll have the 900 in black

Hopefully they are wrong and the cyan will be out at launch or very soon after.

Fjolle

You're clearly a much more hardcore phone gamer than I am. I'm super-casual, the phone games I like to play these days are Cut the Rope and Words With Friends.

You should try Wordament. It's awesome!

E: Whoops. I meant to post that in some random android/iOS penis comparison thread.

Lol, oh wow. Too bad stumpakow no longer posts here. This shit is so blatant its just sad to see.

All right, fine. You guys are always so serious in this thread. To be perfectly frank, I'm a bit surprised that MS didn't give Rovio whatever money they might have demanded to have Angry Birds Space released for WP7 day and date with iOS and Android. I don't think there's a bigger phone game release this year than that game. But we've already seen how dismal MS's marketing efforts have been with WP7, to miss the opportunity to have this game out the same days as the 2 major smartphone platforms seems like a huge oversight on the part of MS.

Circle T

Got a new toy at work today. First time using a WP7 device, but so far it is really nice....

2V6cC.jpg

Circle T

A 900???? So jealous. Moar pics and impressions.

Awesome...details!!!!

This is my first WP7 device, so I'm still figuring things out. What does everyone want to know? I'll do my best to provide details.

did it come with a case? also how did you get it, I WANT IT NOW.

No, didn't come with a case. It's just the stock cyan soft touch material for the case. I work in Finance with AT&T, and my office is at a COR store, so I usually get to see all the new stuff when it comes in. They got two of these in today for Rep demos, so I'm going to borrow one for a week or so.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
This is my first WP7 device, so I'm still figuring things out. What does everyone want to know? I'll do my best to provide details.

No, didn't come with a case. It's just the stock cyan soft touch material for the case. I work in Finance with AT&T, and my office is at a COR store, so I usually get to see all the new stuff when it comes in. They got two of these in today for Rep demos, so I'm going to borrow one for a week or so.

i think people just wanna know the release date. oh that reminds me. what version of WP7 does the 900 ship with? also is at&t also launching a white one?

Circle T

How does the size of the device feel? One of my concerns is that it may be just a bit too big for my liking.

HA, I'm probably the wrong person to ask that. I'm currently an Android user, with a Galaxy Nexus and a Galaxy Note as my primary two devices. Compared to those, it feels fine. It is almost exactly the same size as the Galaxy SII Skyrocket that I use as my work phone, but is a bit heavier. It isn't bulky heavy, it actually feels really solid and nice in the hand. Overall, I'd say it's just a nice sized, solid feeling handset.

i think people just wanna know the release date. oh that reminds me. what version of WP7 does the 900 ship with? also is at&t also launching a white one?

I'm hearing first week-ish in April (9th, maybe?) for release. I believe we are getting a white and the cyan (maybe black too?). It has 7.5 on it (7.10.8112.7).

Sordid

I'm having a few weird issues with my Omnia 7, it randomly deletes all of my IE bookmarks (except 'Popular Sites' and 'Tips for Windows Phone') and twice now I've had it charging overnight and in the morning my battery has only been at 15% :/

Is my phone dying? :(

I'm having a few weird issues with my Omnia 7, it randomly deletes all of my IE bookmarks (except 'Popular Sites' and 'Tips for Windows Phone') and twice now I've had it charging overnight and in the morning my battery has only been at 15% :/

Install any new apps recently?

When I installed the Skype beta, my battery literally died in 3 hours without using the phone. I uninstalled it, charged the phone, and it went back to lasting about 2 days with pretty significant use.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

For the deleted bookmarks, make sure you dont have a 3rd party app (maybe a browser app) that's causing issues. For the battery, my old Samsung phone would randomly report erroneous battery percentages, so you can try a reboot. Another issue was that the power port was poorly designed, and although it initially made contact, it would then disconnect by the faintest touch or movement, so you can check the phone after a bit of plugging in to ensure that the battery indicator at the top is flashing that you are charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom