• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

It seems like you want a pure tablet which is not what the SP3 is. It's extremely light for what it is and the 12 inch screen is designed for doing work, not casual note taking and web surfing (although you can obviously use for that as well). Both in weight, size and price it's competing with ultrabooks, not regular tablets. I have no problems holding it over my head in bed (even with 1 hand) and reading magazines or comics.

If you want an 8" windows tablet there are already options available for relatively cheap.

I want the pen support that's in Surface 3. It would be great for note taking and reading when I am at home. I don't want to carry something akin to a laptop into my bed. I understand what the Surface is but it still is one hefty device for a tablet / ultrabook.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

KageMaru

Was the 12400 update pulled or something? I'm still running on version 12393 and when I check for updates, I get the message that my phone is up to date. I checked and my phone is still enrolled in the preview program, so that's not it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I didn't realize that Asus one came out. I need to check that out. Review seems decent. I love the Dell Venue Pro 8 but sold it to get gaming laptop and I miss using it. Thanks for the head up.

I almost wish I had waited on the Dell to get the Asus since it wasn't out at the time but in the end I'm happy with the Dell and I probably wouldn't have done much sketching on the Asus anyway.

I almost wish I had waited on the Dell to get the Asus since it wasn't out at the time but in the end I'm happy with the Dell and I probably wouldn't have done much sketching on the Asus anyway.

Yeah, I didn't want to wait and got the Dell but sold it few months back to get a Lenovo gaming laptop and could not justify having both. However now that I don't have the Dell, I really miss having it next to bed for reading and web browsing.

I am a bit wary about Asus quality some of the review were not very positive at all about how the pen gave out after few weeks. It's really cheap though ... $220 for 8" full tablet running full Windows 8 with Wacom pen.

Yeah, I didn't want to wait and got the Dell but sold it few months back to get a Lenovo gaming laptop and could not justify having both. However now that I don't have the Dell, I really miss having it next to bed for reading and web browsing.

I am a bit wary about Asus quality some of the review were not very positive at all about how the pen gave out after few weeks. It's really cheap though ... $220 for 8" full tablet running full Windows 8 with Wacom pen.

Oddly enough, the pen sucks, supposedly. Seems like Asus fucked up the implementation or something alone that line.

kazinova

Surface Pro 3 is feather weight for what it is. I own one, best device I've ever purchased, FULL STOP.

It's the same freaking weight as the original iPad for Christ's sake!

Was the 12400 update pulled or something? I'm still running on version 12393 and when I check for updates, I get the message that my phone is up to date. I checked and my phone is still enrolled in the preview program, so that's not it.
Yeah they pulled it. Something about the build not working with Cyan firmware if you use bitlocker.

Dear God in Heaven, why do songs that have been in my Xbox Music collection online/on my PC, for a week now, not show in my Music app on my phone?

Eanan

if I was very rich, id personally employ the developer of Cloud Muzik, for him to make it his preference, as hes clearly put it on the back burner and I dont blame him.

But his posts on the upcoming 2.0 update make me wish it was near ready.

Paganmoon

Really? I think the Surface is ugly, heavy and poorly design as far as reliability. The first version they opt for low resolution screen, the new version is probably the best but still suffer from all type of hardware issue from wifi still not working to power cord malfunctioning.

The surface 2 RT is light as hell, the surface 2 pro is not, but it is also a laptop/ultrabook.

Got both the RT and the pro, and design and build wise, some of the best devices I've had.

My new red Nexus 5 will arrive in a week!

I am disappoint.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My new red Nexus 5 will arrive in a week!

You guys jumping ship to android along with me are picking some crappy/old phones. Bad camera and battery. I would've forgiven you buying this phone last year, but mid-July 2014? Then again, I'm spoiled with the subsidies so I don't have to be as price conscious.

I had a lumia 920 and upgraded to a 1520. The only complaint I have really is that the screen is more fragile than the 920. I already have 2 cracks that started from a tiny chip on the screen. I guess it could have been worse, after all I did drop it face down on a brick ledge.

In my opinion, Windows Phone 8.1 is the best phone OS around. It may lack some apps, but the OS is solid and fast.

Razdek

Banned
Added some songs in Xbox Music to one of my playlists on my laptop. Checked it on XBOX One and the songs weren't there. Checked it on my Nexus 5 and it's there. Checked on my Windows Phone and of course it's not there. I hope the entire XBOX Music team was part of the 18,000 let go because not being able to do your job on your own platform deserves a firing.

Sexy as hell, dat 1020. I need a fucking successor to it D: but I doubt that's happening in the fall. I don't think McLaren will be the camera flagship, even if I want it to be. Don't think I can hold out with the 920.
I couldn't wait. Used/refurb 1020's can be had for $300-350 on eBay now.

strata8

Added some songs in Xbox Music to one of my playlists on my laptop. Checked it on XBOX One and the songs weren't there. Checked it on my Nexus 5 and it's there. Checked on my Windows Phone and of course it's not there. I hope the entire XBOX Music team was part of the 18,000 let go because not being able to do your job on your own platform deserves a firing.

I hope the entire 'Xbox apps' team gets a do-over. All their apps suck shit on every platform. Especially abysmal on Windows 8.

Sometimes it feels like MS gets the interns to do this stuff. I know that was the case for the initial Bing apps at least.

Tablo

I couldn't wait. Used/refurb 1020's can be had for $300-350 on eBay now.
Nice, a relative has a 1020 so I get to use it often. It's so great for food shots close up. I hate the Amoled screen though, and it fucks up white balance so hard most of the time xD On auto I swear a fair bit of photos turn out better on my 920 than the 1020, you definitely have to put in some effort to consistently get good shots. Also autofocus is slow as fuck. That's fine though. I want a high powered successor, fast internal flash memory too. I may just pick up a Fujifilm XA1 or another mirrorless camera and just deal with McLaren's camera in the fall. I would kill for a 1030 in the fall though :(

hadareud

The Translator
So I signed up for the BBM beta and downloaded it this morning.

Signed in, clicked on "find contacts", turns out that out of my 500+ contacts, 2 people are using BBM and one of them isn't real.

NeOak

So I signed up for the BBM beta and downloaded it this morning.

Signed in, clicked on "find contacts", turns out that out of my 500+ contacts, 2 people are using BBM and one of them isn't real.

All the people I know that used BBM moved to WhatsApp a while ago.

They used to advertise their BBM PIN on Facebook. Now its all WhatsApp.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's only the biggest phone-oriented IM app with over 500 million of active users per month.

Oh, and Facebook paid several billions for it a few months ago.

It has absolutely destroyed SMS in Europe. Nobody texts anymore.

JaggedSac

It's only the biggest phone-oriented IM app with over 500 million of active users per month.

Oh, and Facebook paid several billions for it a few months ago.

It has absolutely destroyed SMS in Europe. Nobody texts anymore.

Ah, I see. I don't live in Europe so I don't feel so bad anymore. I do recall hearing about the acquisition though. How are there so many different ways to send messages to people? How is everyone on all of these networks?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ah, I see. I don't live in Europe so I don't feel so bad anymore. I do recall hearing about the acquisition though. How are there so many different ways to send messages to people? How is everyone on all of these networks?

Well, you know how IM apps work: you don't use the one you like, but the one in which your contacts are already in. It's all very organic.

Microsoft had a golden opportunity to turn Skype into a dominating force by adding WhatsApp-like messaging capabilities to its app in adition to their voice call abilities, but it let it rot and now Skype the most ghetto of all IM platforms. Sigh.

lol, I am completely serious. I asked someone what SnapChat was the other day and got the same reaction. This can't be happening to me this early, I'm only 29, I can still be hip and cool. :(

It's kinda big everywhere but in the US. Something like 500 million monthly active users. Facebook bought them for 16 Instagrams in February, I think.

lol, I am completely serious. I asked someone what SnapChat was the other day and got the same reaction. This can't be happening to me this early, I'm only 29, I can still be hip and cool. :(

I'm sorry but I fear it's over for you. I'm 35 and know what it is and I don't even have a Facebook or Twitter account.

I'm sorry.. NOT COOL ANYMORE!

You guys jumping ship to android along with me are picking some crappy/old phones. Bad camera and battery. I would've forgiven you buying this phone last year, but mid-July 2014? Then again, I'm spoiled with the subsidies so I don't have to be as price conscious.

Sorry, but this new OT was so expensive, I couldn't afford a good phone. :(

But seriously, I'm not in a contract and I don't want to be in one which is why I'm always looking for a good deal. In a way I really wanted the red Nexus 5 and no other Android phone. I probably could've gotten a Galaxy S4 or One M7 for the same price, but to me that wasn't an option. I want to judge the OS for what it is and not the skin other OEMs put on it.

Knowing my luck, 5.0 will be the last version the N5 gets, because it will be EOL by the end of the year (just like the Galaxy Nexus was back then!).

Oh well. In July next year I'll probably have this years Windows Phone flagship for the Fall.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And Asia.

In other news: McLaren is no more.

I was about to post this.

Windows Phone Central has confirmed with multiple sources familiar with the matter that Microsoft is completely canceling McLaren. In effect, this leaves Microsoft in a potentially vulnerable position this fall as the hardware and services company does not have any flagship Windows Phones, to our knowledge, in the pipeline.

IS THIS A FUCKING JOKE? God damn it.

What a shit show.

Ape

Banned
WP and Tom Warren on Twitter are saying that there will be Flagship phones soon. Still, tough news.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
WP and Tom Warren on Twitter are saying that there will be Flagship phones soon. Still, tough news.

Microsoft promised as much, but flagship can mean anything, really. A 935 with a Snapdragon 801/805 would already qualify as such, but what Windows Phone needs are more game changers. Something like the old 1020, but this time with an up to date hardware.

Newer and more powerful chipsets mean jack and shit when you don't have the apps to make use of them. There are just no fucking games out there; why would I need a Snapdragon 805? Give me a bombass camera, maybe an integrated audio amp, better screens, curious form factors... just don't fucking bother releasing a new "flagship phone" if the only thing that brings to the table is more power noone is going to use.

Top Bottom