• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Alx

I use Google calendar and I don't have any issues with calendar entries not getting pushed to the server. I don't recall it being an issue with 8.0 either.

I must be doing something wrong, I just added an entry on my phone, attached to my google account, and it appears on the phone calendar but not on the web page. While tasks that had been added through the web page or from external invitations appear on my phone.

*edit : strike that. It did appear on the web page after some time. So it kind of works, although I do remember adding entries during meetings that I never found back on my main calendar. Strange.

Nero3000

hmmm the 930 is only £370 on o2.

That includes the wireless charger, portable wireless charger, portable bluetooth speaker and £20 app voucher.

kharma45

hmmm the 930 is only £370 on o2.

That includes the wireless charger, portable wireless charger, portable bluetooth speaker and £20 app voucher.

Fucking hell. I can see myself buying it when I get this Z2 sorted. So much for me thinking I could stay away.

EE has a slightly better price on it though, but I couldn't get it unlocked for free like I could with the O2 model.

Edit - where are you seeing that price? Showing as £480 for me.

Nero3000

Ah. So with Refresh you can take the phone out, pay the upfront cost, then pay the £15x24 device plan off in one lump and that's it? It always confused me what then happened to the Airtime bit. It's just cancelled?

I think the airtime is 24 month contract, that is only cancelled to re-up to another 24month refresh contract. If you cancel all together i think you have to pay it off.

I'm on a pretty decent refresh tariff atm (unlim/unlim/5GB 4G for ~£16 a month) which I don't see a need to change/move. So my equation is more simple, pay off my 925 and pick up the 930 - i'll still pay the monthly (as money paid in the future is cheaper and all that).

I get a corporate discount on the airtime only (30%) that I can share with up to 5 friends and family if you are interested.

hadareud

The Translator
Since EE seem to have scrapped their 1 year contracts, I will definitely go SIM free once my current contract runs out.

I will never sign a 2 year contract, no way.

kharma45

I think the airtime is 24 month contract, that is only cancelled to re-up to another 24month refresh contract. If you cancel all together i think you have to pay it off.

I'm on a pretty decent refresh tariff atm (unlim/unlim/5GB 4G for ~£16 a month) which I don't see a need to change/move. So my equation is more simple, pay off my 925 and pick up the 930 - i'll still pay the monthly (as money paid in the future is cheaper and all that).

I get a corporate discount on the airtime only (30%) that I can share with up to 5 friends and family if you are interested.

Oh that'd be pretty awesome. I'll let you know if I do go for it.

Hell of a deal that for £16!

Since EE seem to have scrapped their 1 year contracts, I will definitely go SIM free once my current contract runs out.

It's only Vodafone left who do them I think, and Vodafone are pish.

Nero3000

The O2 refresh is decent halfway house. Effectively sim free with interest free credit agreements for phones (which you can unlock straight away).

im not an o2 employee btw.

kharma45

Looking at O2 refresh, I think I've got it now

When you change your phone, you need to pay the balance of your phone plan (not your airtime plan, the cost of which O2 waives). So what you could do is within the first 7 days call O2 free on 202 from your phone and tell them to transfer you to the O2 REFRESH TEAM ONLY.

Once there tell them you want to cancel your "airtime plan" immediately and you would like to keep the phone & pay off the remainder phone plan which is phone plan agreement x 24 months.

hadareud

The Translator
Nokia X is dead.

But I thought MS was going to switch to Android/emulate Android apps.

Anyway, the job cuts are absolutely brutal. Obviously legally legitimate, but brutal. They've not handled the aquisition of Nokia with tact or class, you can only hope that they treat the remaining corpse of Nokia better. And by that I mean make WP successful to a degree that there's not another 15000 jobs being cut in a years time.

derFeef

I never understood Nokia X in the first place. WIth the aq. it was duplication of work anyway. Man that's a lot of jobs, ouch :-/

Curious if that changes anything regarding their WP plans. A sped up process overall would not hurt but I don't see how they can make such a fast change now.

Nero3000

Nokia X is dead.

But I thought MS was going to switch to Android/emulate Android apps.

Anyway, the job cuts are absolutely brutal. Obviously legally legitimate, but brutal. They've not handled the aquisition of Nokia with tact or class, you can only hope that they treat the remaining corpse of Nokia better. And by that I mean make WP successful to a degree that there's not another 15000 jobs being cut in a years time.

Really?

With any merger of two significantly sized companies there is always going to be layoffs. e.g. back office and projects like Nokia X which are not strategically aligned to MS will be killed off with the team.

I would say this is normal. Unfortunate yes but not tactless or classless.

hadareud

The Translator
Really?

With any merger of two significantly sized companies there is always going to be layoffs. Projects like Nokia X which are not strategically aligned to MS will be killed off with the team.

I would say this is normal. Unfortunate yes but not tactless or classless.

Sure there were always jobs that had to go. But nearly half of the employees they took over? They certainly didn't try very hard at all to keep those jobs, if they're cut within a couple of months of the takeover.

We'll have to wait to see a detailled breakdown of which jobs are going, but my first reaction to this is that it's brutal and that they should have tried harder to cut fewer jobs.

I read in another thread that it's mostly factory workers. Even worse. The people with the lowest income are out first because it's nice and easy and becauser it doesn't actually make a real impact on the numbers while you can pretend to the markets that they do.

Maybe it's because my heart still marches to the Marxist beat, but I can't say that I am impressed with Microsoft's actions here.

I just reflashed the non-preview 8.0 device software on my phone seeing as the Cyan rollout is going to happen really soon, and my phone was a normal retail unit. Might as well as minimize the chances of things going very wrong - and my phone was due for a wipe anyway.

PG2G

Sure there were always jobs that had to go. But nearly half of the employees they took over? They certainly didn't try very hard at all to keep those jobs, if they're cut within a couple of months of the takeover.

We'll have to wait to see a detailled breakdown of which jobs are going, but my first reaction to this is that it's brutal and that they should have tried harder to cut fewer jobs.

I read in another thread that it's mostly factory workers. Even worse. The people with the lowest income are out first because it's nice and easy and becauser it doesn't actually make a real impact on the numbers while you can pretend to the markets that they do.

Maybe it's because my heart still marches to the Marxist beat, but I can't say that I am impressed with Microsoft's actions here.

Or they cut factory workers because they are sitting on their asses because the company doesn't sell as many devices as they used to

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Having been through layoffs personally they are terrible. Most good companies do offer decent packages and support though. The cuts were inevitable unfortunately. MS probably had too many employees before the acquisition of Nokia.

hadareud

The Translator
Having been through layoffs personally they are terrible. Most good companies do offer decent packages and support though. The cuts were inevitable unfortunately. MS probably had too many employees before the acquisition of Nokia.

I haven't been through it myself, but it's definitely awful.

It's not just the people that are losing their jobs, it's also their families, their children. If there's whole sites closing down or being reduced significantly there's also a whole surrounding industry that will go away too, so even more jobs will be lost. And of course, when a large number of people lose their job in a certain area it's also very likely that a large number of them will not find a job again any time soon. So they'll have to live on benefits and depending on which part of the world they're living in they and their families might be absolutely fucked long term.

For someone to describe 18000 jobs as chump change like in the other thread is incredibly cunty imo.

It's very easy to look at the numbers and to say this and that doesn't work and let's just cut it, but it's very different when you factor in that actual people are massively affected by this.

Again, that's not to say that you can't ever cut jobs or that it's not possible that every single one of those 18000 jobs absolutely had to go, but I am very concerned by the ease and speed such decisions are being made and how they seem to be not only accepted but applauded by many.

PG2G

They are applauded because we response that Microsoft as a company needs to be lean and fat moving if they want to succeed. The move makes business sense.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been through it myself, but it's definitely awful.

It's not just the people that are losing their jobs, it's also their families, their children. If there's whole sites closing down or being reduced significantly there's also a whole surrounding industry that will go away too, so even more jobs will be lost. And of course, when a large number of people lose their job in a certain area it's also very likely that a large number of them will not find a job again any time soon. So they'll have to live on benefits and depending on which part of the world they're living in they and their families might be absolutely fucked long term.

For someone to describe 18000 jobs as chump change like in the other thread is incredibly cunty imo.

It's very easy to look at the numbers and to say this and that doesn't work and let's just cut it, but it's very different when you factor in that actual people are massively affected by this.

Again, that's not to say that you can't ever cut jobs or that it's not possible that every single one of those 18000 jobs absolutely had to go, but I am very concerned by the ease and speed such decisions are being made and how they seem to be not only accepted but applauded by many.

Are you saying that I called it chump change or is that a different thread?

The number is truly staggering.

BradC00

So I have an upgrade that I will be using in Nov-Dec time frame with ATT. Ive been rocking a HTC Titan for the last 3 years.

Since Ive been out of the loop for almost the last year, what are the top choices for Win phones that will be out around then?

Ape

Banned
I've actually been laid off before. Company outsourced and my job was made redundant. To my employer's credit they wanted to get me into a new position within the company, but I declined for the severance. My wife has a great job and I don't need to work. I know that not everyone has that luxury, so I can appreciate what they are going through. I've seen it first hand.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I have an upgrade that I will be using in Nov-Dec time frame with ATT. Ive been rocking a HTC Titan for the last 3 years.

Since Ive been out of the loop for almost the last year, what are the top choices for Win phones that will be out around then?

We'll almost certainly have new phones announced before then so I would just keep on eye on what happens in the fall.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nokia X is dead but what about Asha/regular phones?
MS just confirmed they'll be phased out in 18 months.

I suspected as much given the extent of the cuts. Shame. I actually liked the latest Asha, but the overlap was evident.

Edit: Ironically, Asha is considerably more usable than WP in some regards.

MS just confirmed they'll be phased out in 18 months.

I suspected as much given the extent of the cuts. Shame. I actually liked the latest Asha, but the overlap was evident.

Edit: Ironically, Asha is considerably more usable than WP in some regards.

Elop was such a trojan horse. They needed a shiney manufacturer to dedicate all efforts to Windows Phone, unlike existing ones who prioritize Android. Now they're killing off any other OS implementation, which makes sense since they're owned by Microsoft now, but really. What a damn shame. Strategically, saying "looks Windows can power all different price points!" doesn't seem best for Nokia when they were also offering different OSes and UIs to diversify.

hadareud

The Translator
Mixradio is dead too.

I never really used it, but it seemed quite decent to me. Of course, it makes no sense to have both Xbox Music and Mixradio, but they better up their game with Xbox Music.

Eanan

Mixradio is dead too.

I never really used it, but it seemed quite decent to me. Of course, it makes no sense to have both Xbox Music and Mixradio, but they better up their game with Xbox Music.
What??!

I use this every day.

Feck sake

hadareud

The Translator
To be fair, they were never going to keep two separate music subscription services around.

Would make no sense.

They should bring some of the app devs from mixradio over to Xbox.

The probably only positive thing one could say about the layoffs is that it means Microsoft goes all-in on Windows Phone in every aspect.

It's not going to help these 18k people, though.

According to Warren, the Lumia design lead doesn't want his position anymore.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The probably only positive thing one could say about the layoffs is that it means Microsoft goes all-in on Windows Phone in every aspect.

The new one? IIRC the old design boss already said that he would depart from Nokia shortly after the purchase was made public.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

my concern would be that MS are using windows phone to 'sell' MS products and services, rather than any particular need for windows phone to sell on its own merits.

Yeah any worries people had about them hedging their mobile bets with some Android devices is gone. They have cut anything that isn't Windows or an existing MS service this morning.

Top Bottom