• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

derFeef

But I don't want Android... or iOS.
I don't have iOS experience for at least 10 years but my latest Android experience has been really shitty, especially with the outlook account integration. There is none...

kazinova

Android and iOS both have bugs and annoyances, no mobile OS is perfect despite what their respective fanboys say. I'll never use another phone without thinking fondly of all the things that WP did better. I almost want to fire up my 1520 again for one last week of use...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This is still the best thread to talk phones.

The other day I started backing up pictures to Google Photos as well as OneDrive. I was pretty blown away by how it identifies and groups people. It identified my neices from a baby to an 10 year old. Crazy!

What are the most notable features of Edge on Android? As far as I can tell it's sending pages to PC. What else?

Edge reading lists and books, if you use those features on PC...

Sending pages to PC is definitely the main feature though. My release preview SP4 just got the Fall update last night, so I'll try out Edge for sending pages this weekend.

Edge reading lists and books, if you use those features on PC...

Sending pages to PC is definitely the main feature though. My release preview SP4 just got the Fall update last night, so I'll try out Edge for sending pages this weekend.

It's just frustrating to see it this barebones. I get that it's a preview, but even then you need to make a splash because when you finally implement the things people were expecting you to do, no one is going to care anymore. It has no implementation of Fluent Design, it doesn't even do swipe gestures, nor does it support any kind of ad-blocking. It's useless to me and I use Edge every single day on my SP4.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So Edge on android DOES have swipe gestures to go back and forward: you have to swipe in the top corners for it to work.

Edit: actually that's just tab switching

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I downloaded the Microsoft launcher and the suggested apps and man.... This is a great experience. Paired with the s8 hardware and I can't imagine a better combination for Microsoft fans.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I downloaded the Microsoft launcher and the suggested apps and man.... This is a great experience. Paired with the s8 hardware and I can't imagine a better combination for Microsoft fans.

Yeah, it looks great. I hadn't used the Arrow launcher for a little while, but they made some nice improvements to the look and feel. Since it isn't a garage app anymore and is officially supported it will be interesting to see how it evolves going forward.

Arrow is cool for the Fluent Design stuff, but I couldn't find any use for it. I like my single page home screen with 8 icons too much. But I really appreciate how much you can customize Arrow. That's well thought out.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to see some Cortana integration so when I swipe right to my feed it can show sports scores, etc.. I know you can add widgets, but I'd like something that looks better.

derFeef

Any videos/pictures of the current MS launcher? I liked the minimal icon setup with nova launcher and the "hidden" folders where you can swipe icons and open more options.

gamz

Any videos/pictures of the current MS launcher? I liked the minimal icon setup with nova launcher and the "hidden" folders where you can swipe icons and open more options.

I think WC has a vid up a couple weeks ago.

Been using it day 1 and it's great. Very slick.

Klocker

Anyone know why the latest version of MS launcher dropped the one finger swipe down gesture?

Had it set to show notifications and now it's gone. Had to set double tap.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was getting some weird lag when swiping away notifications from the lock screen. Uninstalled edge and went back to Nova for a bit and seemed fine. Turned back on the MS launcher first just to see if I can figure out what was causing it. Did a phone reset as well.

Paganmoon

Well I'm back on Edge mobile! I'm thinking there are probably more people on mobile Edge even now, than ever before.

No swipe navigation is a big miss though.

Also having nav-bar on top.

Edit: seems quicker(tm)

But also missing quick scroll button and straight to top from the Samsung browser. Lots of room for improvement.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm back on Edge mobile! I'm thinking there are probably more people on mobile Edge even now, than ever before.

No swipe navigation is a big miss though.

Also having nav-bar on top.

Edit: seems quicker(tm)

But also missing quick scroll button and straight to top from the Samsung browser. Lots of room for improvement.

Yeah, I like that button and the hide the phone status at the top on the Samsung browser.

hadareud

The Translator
Speaking of that, I'm getting a Note 8 tomorrow.

Still, a decent Microsoft thread would be good. If a place for such a place existed.

link1201

Speaking of that, I'm getting a Note 8 tomorrow.

Still, a decent Microsoft thread would be good. If a place for such a place existed.
I finally had to leave my lumia 950 behind and get a note 8. First thing I did was get the Microsoft launcher. Feels somewhat familiar at least.

link1201

How's the Note 8 guys? Probably gonna buy it in the next week or so.
I've been on Windows phone forever and the note with the Microsoft launcher seems familiar. I'm so new to it I can't say how it compares to other Android devices but I'm digging it as my wp replacement.

gamz

I've been on Windows phone forever and the note with the Microsoft launcher seems familiar. I'm so new to it I can't say how it compares to other Android devices but I'm digging it as my wp replacement.

Cool. Been using a Moto G for 6 months. Android grows on you. MS launcher with Edge and MS products work really well. Still miss WP, but it is what it is.

Have you tried One Note with the Pen yet? I saw a video review and the guy was a heavy MS user and OneNote looked great with the pen. That sold me on it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I went with the much cheaper s8 and I'm loving it. I got the Ms launcher but I'm not sure how I feel about edge and battery so I haven't used it recently.

link1201

Cool. Been using a Moto G for 6 months. Android grows on you. MS launcher with Edge and MS products work really well. Still miss WP, but it is what it is.

Have you tried One Note with the Pen yet? I saw a video review and the guy was a heavy MS user and OneNote looked great with the pen. That sold me on it.
Everything with the pen has been great. I didn't think I'd use it but I am finding it very useful.

Klocker

Anyone know why the latest version of MS launcher dropped the one finger swipe down gesture?

Had it set to show notifications and now it's gone. Had to set double tap.

Haha Finally figured this out, if you have vertical pages enabled it disables all down swipe gestures.

I'm on Moto G plus with EGde, MS Launcher and outlook etc... Very pleased

I've always avoided custom radio stations and I've had Groove Music since it launched. The custom stations I previously tried on other apps played music i just absolutely hated. Well I've been playing Forza Horizon 3 and it automatically grabbed custom stations while i played and man, it really does know what i like! Too bad i can use it for another 2 months or so

Nero3000

Sad day wpgaf. I have moved on from my 950 to a note 8. Willing to move back if something ever comes available.

HD7 to 800 to 925 to 930 to 950.

It's been fun.

Top Bottom