• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Store still overpriced for European PC gamers (FH3 €69.99)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Don't MS have a set number of keys that can be produced per quarter if someone wants to sell Wins 10 store games ?

Obviously they can do what they want for their own games but they do have restrictions. It's not like Steam were they can bang out codes as much as they want.

I'm also convinced MS don't give a shit about the PC version and they're protecting the xbox one versions price, to give themselves the best profit possible and to keep retailers happy since one code gets you both versions.

Zojirushi

There's going to be a premium considering it has to be priced the same as the Xbox one version. The other option was no PC version at all. This game is going to be successful regardless, so would recommend buying if you want Microsoft published games on PC in the future.

Dude wtf. This is multibillion $ company, we should not be supporting shitty business practices so they can be so kind and release more similiarly overpriced games in the future.

Don't let this shit hold you hostage.

There's going to be a premium considering it has to be priced the same as the Xbox one version.

WTF are you talking about???

would recommend buying if you want Microsoft published games on PC in the future.

giphy.gif

MS doesn't care because they already received their cut from the retailer. What the retailer does with the rest of the potential profit margin is up to them. However, those retailers are at a very real disadvantage if the publisher undercuts them using the money saved by cutting out the middleman. When that middleman is still critical to your business, you do what you have to keep them happy.

So are they on the disadvantaged position overall or not?

So are they on the disadvantaged position overall or not?

3rd Party retailers are at a disadvantage, however, they have leverage. Microsoft still needs their stores to sell physical hardware. If Microsoft shows they are willing to leverage their advantage by undercutting the other retailers since they are the publisher and platform holder, they will have to deal with the consequences of retailers who do not want to waste their valuable shelf space for hardware with razor thin profit margins. They sell and advertise their platform for the opportunity to make money on software sales. If MS cripples the retailers ability to compete on software sales with day one, lower than MSRP digital prices, they'll damage their relationship.

Physical hardware has always been the thing that has kept the platform holders in check when it comes to digital pricing. The fact that they are starting to have real sales on their stores (well after release), on the hand, shows that the balance of power is shifting. Brick and mortar stores are losing their leverage slow because stores like Amazon are flexible enough to make money on digital sales and don't have quite the same challenges when it comes to physical hardware stocking.

LordRaptor

there's nothing stopping GMG and other stores from getting Win10 store keys.. So not really a MS issue.

No, prior to the "Play Anywhere" initiative literally the only place on earth you could obtain W10 store keys was via MS themselves.

The keys Amazon / Game (presumably GameStop and Walmart in the US too) are selling are Xbox One keys.
Xbox One has allowed selected third party retailers access to keys to sell.
W10 Appstore never has.

Consoles currently need b&m retailers to push products. The PC market doesn't.

You don't need to be Nostradamus to see MS not allowing anyone else on the planet to sell W10 keys and having the market all to themselves is where they want to be with digital sales in general within 5 years.

e:
again - this is in stark contradiction to how Steam handles things; Steam allows anyone putting their product on Steam full control over key generation for any purpose, so pricing control is entirely in the hands of the producer, and there is an element of competition inherently built into the system.
A producer can always sell a game for cheaper than Steam themselves can and bypass giving Valve any sort of cut if they want to.

deadfolk

Am I missing something with everyone buying from Singapore / Hong Kong?

Ultimate Edition is:

USD99.99 on Amazon.com
SGD124.50 on MS Store, so you need to buy SGD140 in gift cards as 20 seems to be the smallest denomination.

Which means the price is effectively the same, give or take a couple of dollars - actually slightly cheaper on amazon.

Yeah, I know the thread is about EU, but everyone seems to be going to SG/HK instead of amazon so my fragile mind is confused.

Caayn

Am I missing something with everyone buying from Singapore / Hong Kong?

Ultimate Edition is:

USD99.99 on Amazon.com
SGD124.50 on MS Store, so you need to buy SGD140 in gift cards as 20 seems to be the smallest denomination.

Which means the price is effectively the same, give or take a couple of dollars - actually slightly cheaper on amazon.

Yeah, I know the thread is about EU, but everyone seems to be going to SG/HK instead of amazon so my fragile mind is confused.
If you use atleast one gift card for your purchase it doesn't care what other payment method, and what location that method is bound to, you use to pay for the rest. You can use one gift card and pay the rest with paypal.

deadfolk

If you use atleast one gift card for your purchase it doesn't care what other payment method, and what location that method is bound to, you use to pay for the rest. You can use one gift card and pay the rest with paypal.

Not any more, apparently.

kpaadet

Wished they would offer a "non play anywhere" version, don't want to pay premium prices so I can get an XB1 version I'll use for jack shit.

There's going to be a premium considering it has to be priced the same as the Xbox one version. The other option was no PC version at all. This game is going to be successful regardless, so would recommend buying if you want Microsoft published games on PC in the future.

There's also the possible method of selling just the pc version on it's own for less but that will never happen.

Xbox digital store prices are always high outside of the US, EA have had £54.99 games for years.

There's also the possible method of selling just the pc version on it's own for less but that will never happen.

They did that with Quantum Break. It was €69.99 anyway.

This Play Anywhere scheme looks like shit for any (outside North America) PC players though, forced to pay the premium because they also get a more expensive version they will never play.

They did that with Quantum Break. It was €69.99 anyway.

This Play Anywhere scheme looks like shit for any (outside North America) PC players though, forced to pay the premium because they also get a more expensive version they will never play.

If you have a friend who has an Xbox and you have a PC, you could create an account on their XBox and make it your primary system. Then buy digital games through the Xbox store on your account. The two of you split the expense in half. They will be able to play all the games you bought on their Xbox and you'll be able to play on PC.

EvB

If you have a friend who has an Xbox and you have a PC, you could create an account on their XBox and make it your primary system. Then buy digital games through the Xbox store on your account. The two of you split the expense in half. They will be able to play all the games you bought on their Xbox and you'll be able to play on PC.

You can't play the PC version and the Xbox Version Simultaneously.

KainXVIII

Well, that's their Play Anywhere interfering with PC pricing as they can't set it any lower than XBO's now as people will just buy PC version instead of XBO's in this case.

2016-09-1916_21_04-st6os7s.png

(That's ~55 euros or 60 USDs for those wondering.)

Still, I gotta say that it makes the choice of what to get in these coming months A LOT easier:

2016-09-1916_23_46-pr2fsq7.png

2016-09-1916_24_34-prddsye.png

2016-09-1916_24_53-prfusaj.png

2016-09-1916_25_21-przlsug.png

Funny, but QB price is corrected now (before Steam release?), starting price was also 3999 ₽

FITRqKs.png

Lazaro

Why not? Your friend logged into his account will play the Xbox One game that you purchased on your account. You login to the PC to play the game on your account.

This technically works. It's one of the advantages I like about the Windows Store compared to Steam. You can share the game with 10 other Windows devices and play together with your respective Xbox accounts without going into offline mode.

But there's only one Xbox Enabled Windows 10 title that's blocks this type of access and that is Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm guessing other third-party publishers that will publish to the Windows Store will also share this approach. But Windows Store is only good for Microsoft first-party games anyways.

Mohasus

Price was permanently lowered when Steam version was announced.
Yes, but that isn't the only price drop it received in some countries.

For example, Brazilian price:
QB price at launch: 199 BRL (a new release is usually around 129 BRL)
QB price after steam/price drop announced: 149 BRL
QB price now: 72 BRL

MS is just price matching steam. Same thing happened with Rise of the tomb raider. Launch price was more than 200 BRL, after some complaints and hours, it was the same as steam, around 105 BRL if I recall correctly.

Too bad there won't be a steam version of FH3.

dmix90

Price was permanently lowered when Steam version was announced.
When Steam version was announced it was lowered to ~2600 ruble. Now that steam version is really close they actually decided to apply regional pricing model....

Good luck with those 3999 ruble offerings MS.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Since it's play anywhere can I buy an Xbone key and redeem that instead of buying a PC copy? I don't own an Xbone

Mifec

Yes, but that isn't the only price drop it received in some countries.

For example, Brazilian price:
QB price at launch: 199 BRL (a new release is usually around 129 BRL)
QB price after steam/price drop announced: 149 BRL
QB price now: 72 BRL

MS is just price matching steam. Same thing happened with Rise of the tomb raider. Launch price was more than 200 BRL, after some complaints and hours, it was the same as steam, around 105 BRL if I recall correctly.

Too bad there won't be a steam version of FH3.

When Steam version was announced it was lowered to ~2600 ruble. Now that steam version is really close they actually decided to apply regional pricing model....

Good luck with those 3999 ruble offerings MS.
thx for the correction friendos.

Detox

This technically works. It's one of the advantages I like about the Windows Store compared to Steam. You can share the game with 10 other Windows devices and play together with your respective Xbox accounts without going into offline mode.

But there's only one Xbox Enabled Windows 10 title that's blocks this type of access and that is Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm guessing other third-party publishers that will publish to the Windows Store will also share this approach. But Windows Store is only good for Microsoft first-party games anyways.
Can you detail this method?

dr_rus

Funny, but QB price is corrected now (before Steam release?), starting price was also 3999 ₽

FITRqKs.png

QB isn't Play Anywhere though so they can set the PC price to whatever they want and still have it selling for $60 on Xbox. This is going to be a lot harder to do with PA titles.

Fishook

I suppose its down to us PC gamers getting cheap keys and games, I just fancy a open world racing game, there is not much choice unless you want sim style games.

I will bite the bullet as I can see this game lasting me a good while even in single player mode, but won't be getting much else from the Windows store until its cheap as the prices are way over the top.

You know I just realized this a whole lot of fuzz about nothing. Sure buying through Singapore is blocked and you have to go through gift cards.

But you can pay through the USA store with any PayPal/CC and pay in USD, which is still cheaper than standard retail european prices. And you don't pay taxes. Only thing you have to do is change your region which is done in two clicks.

Only one who has problems with this are the uniformed consumer, but those would buy straight full price with Steam anyway.

leng jai

So I can buy the digital version off Amazon and use it on my AU account? That sounds like the easiest way, can't be bothered getting it off the Singapore store.

Lazaro

Can you detail this method?

All you have to do is go to the to Windows Store app and login with the Microsoft account that has the purchased game and download it. You can do this on up to ten different Windows 10 devices.

Each PC then logins to the Xbox app with their respective Xbox Gamer tag via the Xbox App and voila, you have game sharing with online connectivity including co-op and multiplayer parties.

It's pretty cool but I think it's the reason why publishers are weary of the Windows Store among other concerns.

I mean Microsoft kind of promotes it. This snippet kind of looks exactly how me and my bro use the game sharing system and play our games. We're in the same room but not back to back, lol.
bfNnQQK.gif

UrbanRats

I beg you microsoft, allow me to buy your product!
Lmao, if they don't want my money i'll spend them on other things, competition for the consumer's attention is so fierce nowadays, that you'd have to be stupid to think anyone but a selected few, has that kind of power.

Detox

All you have to do is go to the to Windows Store app and login with the Microsoft account that has the purchased game and download it. You can do this on up to ten different Windows 10 devices.

Each PC then logins to the Xbox app with their respective Xbox Gamer tag via the Xbox App and voila, you have game sharing with online connectivity including co-op and multiplayer parties.

It's pretty cool but I think it's the reason why publishers are weary of the Windows Store among other concerns.

I mean Microsoft kind of promotes it. This snippet kind of looks exactly how me and my bro use the game sharing system and play our games. We're in the same room but not back to back, lol.

Have people login to your store acc on the store and their own acc on the xbox app on PC and they can play the game at the same time as you and get their own achievements.
Interesting, thanks for this.

Chris1

No, prior to the "Play Anywhere" initiative literally the only place on earth you could obtain W10 store keys was via MS themselves.

The keys Amazon / Game (presumably GameStop and Walmart in the US too) are selling are Xbox One keys.
Xbox One has allowed selected third party retailers access to keys to sell.
W10 Appstore never has.

Consoles currently need b&m retailers to push products. The PC market doesn't.

You don't need to be Nostradamus to see MS not allowing anyone else on the planet to sell W10 keys and having the market all to themselves is where they want to be with digital sales in general within 5 years.

e:
again - this is in stark contradiction to how Steam handles things; Steam allows anyone putting their product on Steam full control over key generation for any purpose, so pricing control is entirely in the hands of the producer, and there is an element of competition inherently built into the system.
A producer can always sell a game for cheaper than Steam themselves can and bypass giving Valve any sort of cut if they want to.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/20/12986240/gears-of-war-4-free-nvidia-gtx-1070-gtx-1080

Does MS need Nvidia to push consoles aswell?

Like I said, I see no reason why GMG and others can't get keys if Amazon, GAME and now Nvidia can.

Akronis

Do you know why? Because of piracy...as that specific issue seems to be solved for the moment why would you get a discount over console players, other than "that's the way its always been"

lol for someone "defending" pricing on PC gaming, you seem to fall into those same shitty strawmen about piracy. Way to go.

LordRaptor

Does MS need Nvidia to push consoles aswell?

They obviously need them to push something or that initiative wouldn't exist.
I also don't see how that in any way says it's not down to MS to generate keys - you think third party retailers don't want to sell product?

So they didn't fix this after the Quantum Break fiasco. Smh. I kind of had this game on my radar, but now I certainly won't be buying this game. There are plenty of other games releasing in the next 30 days:

Mafia III (49.99€)
Battlefield 1 (59.99€)
Titanfall 2 (59.99€)
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim SE (free for me)

And the month after that we have the new Call of Duty, Watch_Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2. All of them considerably cheaper than Forza Horizon 3.

Good luck with this strategy, Microsoft. This price is also an especially good idea, considering how well racing games sell these days.

EvB

Why not? Your friend logged into his account will play the Xbox One game that you purchased on your account. You login to the PC to play the game on your account.

Because it sees that you are playing the same game in 2 locations and signs you out.

Zedox

Because it sees that you are playing the same game in 2 locations and signs you out.

If the home xbox has the game installed it doesn't matter if that user is signed in or not, anyone can play the games on that system. They can still play against each other.

Salty Hippo

Microsoft really doesn't get regional pricing. In Brazil it costs about 60, but the norm on Steam is charging around 40 for full price. That's what people are used to. They see 60 and it scares them away. 60 dollars is around 25% of the avg Brazilian minimum wage.

I never said anything about you being logged into 2 locations at once. When you have the Xbox console set as primary, anyone can play your games on that console whether you're logged in or not. One friend on the Xbox with their own account, you on PC with yours.

Piers

I could get behind this until seeing that it was £37.99 on just XB1.
Fuck that. The idea that this has to be bound to a console on Microsoft's own operating system is all kinds of surreal.

Top Bottom