• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winners and Losers

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Hey all,

This is something I truly don't understand.

Why do people want to only root for winners, worship, put on a pedestal, defend, focus on others? Doesn't it ever blow your mind that the majority focus so much of their time on winners in life? Whenever I look at a winner, I don't do any of that stuff above. I only look at them to reverse engineer how they did it and spend all my energy to make myself a winner. I mean you only have one life, why focus on others? This is why I was never interested in sports, celebrities, or became a follower of an influencer.

I know how influence is created, but don't understand the appeal of it.

Examples of the extreme:
1) Followers purchasing tons of merchandise from the Youtube star that they love.
2) Sports fans fighting over their favorite team.
3) Celebrity stalkers.
4) The followers of an influencer attacking the comment section of another influencer.
5) Defending whatever that high influence individual says, even it is blatantly wrong based on the facts.

I don't care if someone is a highly influential person, I view them on the same level as myself. No pedestal for yah. No elitism.

Thoughts?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Why do we worship an entity called god ? Why do all currencies have someones face ? Why do we read biography of so called "great people" ? We are brought up in a society where we read about so called "great people"(or even god himself) and are led to believe we can never be like them. These are leftover societal norms since the days of monarchy. We are led to believe, they are "inspiration" and by "worshiping" these entities we can be something close. Inorder to evolve socially we need to be way more cruel. What is stopping us is the "fear" that not "worshiping" them is wrong. Someone who needs fear to be revered is not worthy of "worship". Everything belongs to humanity. Every new invention or idea is an achievement of humanity not some individual. You see a K-Pop song of some idols singing and dancing, but no one thinks about everyone else involved in production. Why dont we just see the song as entertainment and believe that it exists because of humanity's progress ?

That can be a social evolution of humanity. But I dont know where it will lead us. Is it just fear? Everything comes with a risk. This fear is also kind of superstitious. Will we take the risk or stick to what we are because of "fear" ?

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Not everyone likes someone because they view them as a winner. I think you’re thinking more of cases where people idolize some underlying trait. An admiration of a quality embodied in someone, not so much the person itself. That would be especially true in the case of Instagram where there’s so much obfuscation of reality.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Hey all,

This is something I truly don't understand.

Why do people want to only root for winners, worship, put on a pedestal, defend, focus on others? Doesn't it ever blow your mind that the majority focus so much of their time on winners in life? Whenever I look at a winner, I don't do any of that stuff above. I only look at them to reverse engineer how they did it and spend all my energy to make myself a winner. I mean you only have one life, why focus on others? This is why I was never interested in sports, celebrities, or became a follower of an influencer.

I know how influence is created, but don't understand the appeal of it.

Examples of the extreme:
1) Followers purchasing tons of merchandise from the Youtube star that they love.
2) Sports fans fighting over their favorite team.
3) Celebrity stalkers.
4) The followers of an influencer attacking the comment section of another influencer.
5) Defending whatever that high influence individual says, even it is blatantly wrong based on the facts.

I don't care if someone is a highly influential person, I view them on the same level as myself. No pedestal for yah. No elitism.

Thoughts?
cool

Tesseract

Banned
i don't like honors but i do appreciate power

intelligence, strength, honor

good things to hold onto, sharpen / time (insofar as time permits, fluid intelligence drops over time and of course the body inevitably fails)

Tesseract

Banned
the way people win or lose is what matters to me, how stoic in face of adversity, how burdened, determined, so on

90% perspiration / 10% inspiration kinda thing

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Survivorship bias. The winner always tells the story. The story is all we keep.

Last edited:
Why do we worship an entity called god ? Why do all currencies have someones face ? Why do we read biography of so called "great people" ? We are brought up in a society where we read about so called "great people"(or even god himself) and are led to believe we can never be like them. These are leftover societal norms since the days of monarchy. We are led to believe, they are "inspiration" and by "worshiping" these entities we can be something close. Inorder to evolve socially we need to be way more cruel. What is stopping us is the "fear" that not "worshiping" them is wrong. Someone who needs fear to be revered is not worthy of "worship". Everything belongs to humanity. Every new invention or idea is an achievement of humanity not some individual. You see a K-Pop song of some idols singing and dancing, but no one thinks about everyone else involved in production. Why dont we just see the song as entertainment and believe that it exists because of humanity's progress ?

That can be a social evolution of humanity. But I dont know where it will lead us. Is it just fear? Everything comes with a risk. This fear is also kind of superstitious. Will we take the risk or stick to what we are because of "fear" ?
Good food for thought, but why put the concept of God and men on the same level? They're not the same thing.

Also, great people are remembered for their eventful lives that make for great stories (humans love stories) and the practical lessons that can be learned from them. Societies need great individuals to unify people and bring stability or else it's an insane dog-eat-dog world.

Yes, it takes a lot of people to advance humanity or build something great like inventions or entertainment but there is always a need for a leader, someone with a new and unique vision and/or exceptional abilities. That person brings everyone's gifts to a common project. Organized efforts don't work without a leader, and leaders tend to be memorable people.

That said, it's not like everyone worships "great" individuals. You don't need to aspire to become one, heck it's hard enough to have your shit together nowadays.

There are however instances of individuals being worshipped, like singers and whatnot, and I think it's wrong, no human should be treated like a God.

Last edited:
Top Bottom