• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

I'm just assuming that and all other future anime are 4-minute CGI shorts from now on, that way I can never be disappointed and only pleasantly surprised.

What these promising 4 minute short anime anyway?
Space Dandy OP PV?

You're not making any sense.

That and the BrainsBase thing which I'm just assuming is 4 minutes now since it's a 4koma and that's the only way you can adapt those now apparently.

There's been a fair number of half-hour 4-koma adaptations lately, such as Yuyushiki, Love Lab, and Engaged to the Unidentified. The recent 3-minute manga adaptations that spring to mind, such as Yama no Susume, Pupipo, and Tonari no Seki-kun, aren't 4-komas.

Theonik

Happiness Charge PreCure 01
iGWUrs0YPcyrj.png
ih5QEwFpb5yxK.png
iSJJ2UXsyPJxb.png

This'll do.
This was surprisingly decent. Some of the visual gags reminded me of RGZ too. I'd guess they share a lot of staff.
I still think I'll hibernate this for later though. Maybe let Kirbyayoi and Madp suffer through it first to see if it stays good. PreCure is a dangerous thing.

Dresden

We're getting a new Mushishi and we know Watanabe was working on two series after Apollon, one of them being Dandy, and the other with MAPPA. That's good enough for me.

Gazoinks

We're getting a new Mushishi and we know Watanabe was working on two series after Apollon, one of them being Dandy, and the other with MAPPA. That's good enough for me.

Woah, wait, Watanabe's working on another series? I didn't know that, pretty cool. We've got Ping Pong next season too, looking forward to that.

Theonik

see if I voted my comments woul be how shows make me feel. I would just say "this show made me squee" over and over.

Plamya is #2. Kate is too much of a moenuke. So adorable and top tier.
No way Пламя > Наташа > Катя. Катя is least good girl by far.
I wonder what the forces of good will bring though.

Dresden

Yeah, it was mentioned a while back, we should see more details soon.

And I forgot about Yuasa/Matsumoto Ping Pong. Fuck this year is good.

Yeah, it was mentioned a while back, we should see more details soon.

And I forgot about Yuasa/Matsumoto Ping Pong. Fuck this year is good.

Don't forget, we'll probably be able to see Kaguyahime this year, as well as The Wind Rises, and maybe even that Giovanni's Island film that looks really neat. Plus there's 4 promising Anime Mirai shorts.

Really? That must have passed me by. Glad to know that there's another Watanabe anime in the works.

Yes, Watanabe's show at MAPPA is supposed to be serious in nature.

cajunator

Banned
So I got like two episodes or so into Love Lab and I'm interested in starting it back up but I vaguely remember there were concerns that a future episode was kind of racist towards black people or something. I know Japan is kind of ignorant/sheltered about these things unfortunately :( Is it bad enough that I'm going to want to rage quit when I reach that episode?

More of an ignorance/naivety about what might offend. Anime is very centered on its own culture and doesnt really seem to understand the subtleties of others. Not excusing it but its not mean spirited.

cajunator

Banned
World Conquest Zvezda Plot 1
Pretty funny initially and then gets crazy with the conquest powers. I think I'll enjoy this show.

I think you will too. Its proving very popular.

I'm still not sure if they were suppose to be lampooning ganguro or not.

most likely this is the case. Ganguro is a known popular movement in japan and there is a fanbase who dresses and acts and even alters their appearance to resemble black culture and music.

Kino's Journey 6

So I started watching this show about a month ago, then stopped for a little while and just now got back to it. I like the show well enough, it feels like Homer's Odyssey or The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in that it's more about world building, in a world where nothing is consistent. It's always introducing something new, but due to that, it feels like there's no overarching plot, no direction. Because of this, it feels like a show to put on the back burner, something to watch when there's nothing else I want to watch.

As for this episode, it does flesh out Kino's character a bit, and I'm looking forward to seeing the resolution next episode.

Kino is very pick up and watch friendly but there is a connection to everything though thats not really the point. Or maybe its the whole point. Dont wanna spoil a thing.

I hope BrainsBase is going for something drastically different than the manga then, because I have hard time imagining a dramatic 4koma.

I glanced through the first chapter of Isshuukan Friends, by the way, and despite being partially in the 4-koma format, it's not primarily comedic - more often than not there isn't a punchline at the end of the 4 panels - and the story is through-told instead of being disconnected gags. There's a fair bit of non 4-koma stuff too. The tone is actually rather tender and sweet, I rather like it.

Kino is very pick up and watch friendly but there is a connection to everything though thats not really the point. Or maybe its the whole point. Dont wanna spoil a thing.

Finally just ordered it. Don't know why I kept forgetting to do so but I'm really looking forward to it now!

Branduil

I glanced through the first chapter of Isshuukan Friends, by the way, and despite being partially in the 4-koma format, it's not primarily comedic - more often than not there isn't a punchline at the end of the 4 panels - and the story is through-told instead of being disconnected gags. There's a fair bit of non 4-koma stuff too. The tone is actually rather tender and sweet, I rather like it.

That's nice to hear. I really hope it's a full-length series then.

cajunator

Banned
Damn at all the gnashing of teeth over KLK getting 2nd place.

Where's that Cartman drinking tears gif when you need it?

In the long run it doesnt matter. Klk is going to be the more memorable series for many. But as I said ranking is just ranking.

See, it took me five episodes to figure that out with Galilei Donna. Only took one for Wizard Barristers.

I definitely side with Humikanes fetishes over Umetsu's.

Gintama 08

I think my favorite gag for this episode was Gin's paranoia about losing the main character spot (
and that the opening played in the middle of the epsiode. XD
)

Gazoinks

Gintama 08

I think my favorite gag for this episode was Gin's paranoia about losing the main character spot (
and that the opening played in the middle of the epsiode. XD
)

This episode was the one where the show felt like it started to come into its own and become consistently funny. Only gets better from here!

OceanBlue

This sounds good to me! I don't mind tender and sweet instead of dramatic. I just want some continuity in however the show intends to tell its story. To me this type of premise loses potential when it's primarily concerned with disconnected gags. A story about the relationship involving someone who can only live week-by-week doesn't seem as interesting if its story lives gag-by-gag.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Nobunagun 5

Why is everyone on this team so lewd. This show is at its best, in my opinion, when it's focusing on the interactions between the characters. That's pretty fun, but I start tuning out whenever they get to the actual alien-fighting business.

X-COM Dogoo mod when.

Looks like I'll get caught up on this tonight. After reading a post last week of Ripper trying to be shipped with her I dropped it like a hot potato.

Gazoinks

Princess Tutu, or The Adventures of the Dancing Ahoge 01
sjlbaQul.jpg

I NEED AN ADULT

Reminds me of early Utena in that it seems like a sort of weird, innocuous fairy tale, but it's also vaguely sinister.

I'm watching two classical music anime now! Two!

Branduil

Is that a "Don't listen because you seriously won't have fun with this at all" or a "Don't listen to this by which we all mean please do so we can enjoy your reactions?"

The first. The sound novel is the only option for consuming Umineko, especially if you want the end of the story.

Noragami 5
So now it approaches the tough topic of souls that get corrupted for Yukine. Hiyori should also realize that Yukine is still a boy going through puberty at least mentally.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HapCha
Jc0tjOxl.jpg

Wow, they've finally just incorporated cards into the show itself. I hope the cards aren't random, because parents are fucked.

Branduil

If SAO is going to go stupid (as it always does) it should go full stupid and make him a girl straight up :/ Hatewatching the franchise is the only legit purpose it has anyway.

It wouldn't be SAO if Kirito was ever written as anything besides a completely unbearable character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom