• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Watched Testament of New Devil Sister season 1.

... Why does an ecchi anime (that straddles the line between second and third base in every episode) have such good action sequences and animation?

Line_HTX

Fuuka 06

I thought I saw some smug and dark, manipulative expression on Koiyuki's face in the rising bathhouse steam. Better watch out for this childhood friend, haha

LWA TV 11

Decent episode. Feels like theres finally a goal or something to move toward, as generic as it is. I'll be pretty upset if the next episode is Akko idiot misadventures again.

PK Gaming

Konosuba 1-2

It's not a good sign when I find this more funny when I play the Spongebob soundtrack over some scenes.

Season 2 better deliver the goods.

I think the later episodes will deliver the goods. The point is that Konosuba isn't gut-bustling hilarious like some people imply. It delivers some key jokes here and there, but it's mostly just a fun watch.

Comedy is subjective, y'all. Like I still don't see what's so funny about K-ON, but apparently that show's hilarious.

K-ON definitely wasn't usually funny

It's biggest appeal was its fluffy, feel-good (borderline nostalgic) vibe that permeated every episode

it helps when darkness plays a larger role and aqua plays a smaller role as Aqua is just not a good comedy character for me, I just find her annoying.

perhaps you will be the same.

that being said even aqua was alright in the final arc of season 2.

I'm scared

Joe Molotov

It is the true "sensei route" that most shows lack.

I'm a walking contridiction when I support older female teachers to match with younger males, but it's not alright in my mind for older male teachers with younger girls....

The teachers should just hook up with each other like in classy shows like Scum's Wish.

I'm looking at you, Interviews With Monster Girls.

Chindogg

It is the true "sensei route" that most shows lack.

I'm a walking contridiction when I support older female teachers to match with younger males, but it's not alright in my mind for older male teachers with younger girls....

Does it help if
they're related?

Seriously! Sensei x sensei is required for that show, but alas, nothing so far...

Oddly enough the show almost completely caught up with the manga. Gonna take a while.

kewlmyc

I think the later episodes will deliver the goods. The point is that Konosuba isn't gut-bustling hilarious like some people imply. It delivers some key jokes here and there, but it's mostly just a fun watch.

It's the group dynamic and the fact that they're all just essentially assholes/bad people that makes me like the show, yet likable in their own way. Sets it apart from all the other shitty isekai LNs out there.

Cornbread78

Does it help if
they're related?

Oddly enough the show almost completely caught up with the manga. Gonna take a while.

No blood relations please, those are not acceptable in any format, lol.

Dann. Last episode was actually really good a d stayed away from any of those redline/questionable stuff and actually had succubus sensei
ask him out for drinks
was really cute episode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gabriel DropOut 11
Hello? What happened to being in heaven? What happened to the story they set up at the end of last episode? Why is everything so boring again??

Wanderer5

Little Witch Academia TV #11

Well it is nice to have something moving along in the grand scheme of things, and it was quite interesting here, particularly with the visions. It is too bad this show has been feeling so... inconsistent.

Kiznaiver.

Good show. GOTY OP.

The best anime of all time starts with a K ;P

But Clannad starts with a C.....

Cornbread knows what's up. Come on, Mike.

Kanon 2006 ;P

We're all Key fans here. We must not fight among ourselves, for there are others who have not seen the light.

Season 2 has less explosions. It's not flawless.

But still manages the explosions better than the first season. Several explosions in each episode is excessive. Even for Megumin.

Fuuka 10-11

142.gif

c44.gif

Fuck this show, man.

Manga Spoilers ------>
Truck-kun didn't even get to do his job. This is a fail of epic proportions. What is even funnier is that after the truck didn't kill her, they proceeded to make her one of the most unlikable characters in a very long time. Good job! Fuck you guys.
<-----Manga Spoilers

Yes, another table flip gif in response to this shit..!

I hate the fact that they mock and taunt the audience with "
About time the childhood friend wins" only to take that away a few minutes later. And the reason they break up is so contrived.
Seriously. Fuck. This. Stupid. Show.

I wish
Truck-kun
finished the job he was supposed to start.

I mean, what's your general feeling on the movie?

That it's amazing. Pretty much a perfect movie.

I wouldn't pretend that they're exactly the same, but tonally, Jin-Roh.

Ooooooooooooo, that is a really good call. Chigurh and Kazuki both remove their own agency from their decisions whether it's due to "fate" or "orders" Can also link Kazuki and Sherriff Bell where they both become overwhelmed by how difficult it is to do the right thing in the face of such enormous shit.

Cornbread78

I hate the fact that they mock and taunt the audience with "
About time the childhood friend wins" only to take that away a few minutes later. And the reason they break up is so contrived.
Seriously. Fuck. This. Stupid. Show.

I wish
Truck-kun
finished the job he was supposed to start.

Exactly! Especially with that statement in mind!

Pure garbage.

Sterok

Gabriel Dropout 11

Lame, I wanted to see Satania break into Heaven. She still steals the show, but in a less interesting manner. The Tapris bit does make me wonder how intuitive computers are for newcomers. Though with everyone growing up around them that stuff just gets drilled into your head when you're very young these days.

petran79

Banned
Don't know how you found this one, but good choice. The characters range on these extremes where the obvious side characters tend to be clownish while most of the main cast are deadpan, and the show flies mostly on expressions, camera work, sound and music cues, and of course flashbacks, because nobody almost ever talks about anything directly (except Wakaba). It's really refreshing, and the author Mitsuru Adachi has been working on this particular style for decades.

Cross Game's not without its flaws, but it's a more balanced experience imo than his most famous work, Touch. Cross Game also has a bunch of anime-original content which is melded in pretty well with the rest of the material (I didn't know until reading about it after the fact). On the whole it's a pretty plain-looking show, but the production staff know what they're doing - The animation won't wow you but the quality of the art is consistent throughout which is something I value in a show like this.

It's a good show - Enjoy it. It's earned that top 100 spot on MAL. (I'd put it in top 50 but I haven't thought too hard on where)

What makes Touch worth are the first 26 episodes, which are a masterpiece. For the rest I am sure Cross Game is the better series.

Andrew J.

LWA 11

Whoa, there were some sick revelaitons this time around. Most obviously we have confirmation that magic is really growing weaker over time, it's not just that technological development has made it obsolete.

Then there's the Grand Triskelion and the Seven Words. Is it related to the portal the bear was guarding? Why is Diana researching it? Could she be aware of magic's decline and seeking to break the seal to reverse it? How is it connected to Ursula's past, and why can't she tell Akko the truth if this quest is so important? (Bet it's a geas.)

And finally, the true identity of the Shiny Rod as Claíomh Solais. It's interesting that it's in this form now, instead of a sword. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the semiotic significance of swords and rods/staves are diametric opposites in both the physical/spiritual axis and the male/female axis. Could this be related to the sexism theme that came up previously? (I hope Akko takes good care of it, it served me well in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.)

Man, this just got way more interesting. Really digging it.

Taruranto

Where in the world is Shining Chariot? #11

Uuuuh, OK, this sorta explain a lot of things but It shouldn't have taken 11 episodes to mention this. Like, even a passing mention some episodes ago by Lotte or Sucy would have been enough.

Also a lot of overly-expository dialogues at times.

Overall not a bad episode at all, but it should have been like the 7th one, not the 11th.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know why Ursula feels it's a good idea to keep feeding Akko these doomsday spells and weapons of mass destruction.

At least with Harry Potter it makes sense because he's a living weapon against Wizard Hitler but what's the deal with Akko?

Squishy3

I don't know why Ursula feels it's a good idea to keep feeding Akko these doomsday spells and weapons of mass destruction.

At least with Harry Potter it makes sense because he's a living weapon against Wizard Hitler but what's the deal with Akko?
shining chariot heel turn when

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom