• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Betsu Shounen Magazine has revealed the unique production method being used for Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil) previously teased by the director - rotoscoping. They are filming and directing the sequences in live action, and then animating via rotoscoping base on the performance. Crazy. Wonder if it'll not look... super weird.

Narag

Yeah that's Wounded Man. A real classy work.

N8p2al.png
UU2SVl.png
0HESPl.png
OVA certainly looks promising enough.

Jex

Betsu Shounen Magazine has revealed the unique production method being used for Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil) previously teased by the director - rotoscoping. They are filming and directing the sequences in live action, and then animating via rotoscoping base on the performance. Crazy. Wonder if it'll not look... super weird.

That's fairly bizarre. I'm not really sure what that's going to achieve artistically. Won't the movement during the action sequences look bizarrely different to the movement during the rest of the show? Well, I suppose in many cases this is already true.

Dresden

Well, hope it's for the best.

That's fairly bizarre. I'm not really sure what that's going to achieve artistically. Won't the movement during the action sequences look bizarrely different to the movement during the rest of the show? Well, I suppose in many cases this is already true.

Action sequences? There are no action sequences in Aku no Hana.

wonzo

Banned
That's... pretty weird.

OVA certainly looks promising enough.
Just prepare yourself for a shitload of misogyny.

There's not really any action scenes in this outside of maybe one scene at the end of volume 2.

Jex

Action sequences? There are no action sequences in Aku no Hana.

Misread duckroll's post. I always assume he's talking about action. I don't really see the point in doing it in live action first. Shouldn't they really be focusing on the strength's of animation? I don't really see what the point is but it may well provide some good gif material.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Misread duckroll's post. I always assume he's talking about action. I don't really see the point in doing it in live action first. Shouldn't they really be focusing on the strength's of animation? I don't really see what the point is but it may well provide some good gif material.

You confusing with cosmic?

duckroll

More like my brain couldn't handle the fact that someone would want to shoot an entire show in live action before rotoscoping it unless there's some pretty clear benefit e.g. you're going to mix in some surreal visuals like in A Scanner Darkly

I asked dresden and wonzo about it before I posted, and they said the manga is pretty heavy on character acting, so that might be one reason.

Narag

Glancing over it, it looks like Crying Freeman manga's last chapters are about Freeman finding the wife & child of the pro wrestler/assassin dude that led him into run-ins with the yakuza. OVA seems to have taken some visual elements from this and excised the usual cast while using a mostly original story which was smart as it suited the strength of the medium whereas the previous episodes felt like compressed adaptations.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Between this and the Pablo eyesex backgrounds I get the feeling that they want this show to really stand out visually. Odds they fuck it up in the end are still high but the slight possibility of everything working out like it's supposed to excites me.

Nafe

Senran Kagura Episode 1

GQ6WX.jpg

Best girl. Voiced by Asami Imai too!

This is probably going to be a pretty fun show. I think the first episode was pretty good overall. It starts out with some good ninja action to hook you in right off the bat, although it was maybe a little dark in terms of contrast.

The main cast is quickly and briefly introduced and the show jumps right in afterwards where our busty ninja's are on a mission to show us how this world works and a little bit of their fighting style. I thought it was a pretty good pace actually. It had some slightly amusing moments as well such as Katsuragi using her shinobi powers to poof herself out of that ride.

In terms of fanservice the girls are obviously busty and it has some suggestive things such as a few quick shots to how the girls eat their futomaki, even their male sensei, which was slightly funny and weird at the same time and their transformation sequences too.

At the same time though it was actually a lot lighter than one might expect. There's never any scenes that call for the need of the whole bright light censoring effect and there is actually only one really quick panty shot during the main fight in the latter part of the episode. This episode seems to treat those more to how Girls und Panzer does.

While I thought the action was good I hope to see a little bit better animation in some of the following episodes.

I thought Ikaruga's design looked the best back when I first saw the game coming out and then I found out she's voiced by Asami Imai and now after having watched the show she's a clear favorite. While she's my favorite this show seems to have a few best girls. Such as the character Yagyuu with the eye-patch seems pretty cool and tough too. She's apparently already shipped with Hibari as well. Then there's Katsuragi voiced by Yuu Kobayashi and she seems like a pretty fun girl. I love how she does her voice in this. The last few shows I've heard her in she's been doing male characters so it was nice to hear her be a bit more girly. Well, there's Honda Futayo in Horizon but because of her character she uses a tougher voice for her too. Although if I was in Asuka's shoes and Katsu was groping my busty bust all the time like that I would probably be annoyed and embarrassed too.

The show actually has a pretty stellar seiyuu cast. There was Homura from the rival group who's voiced by Eri Kitamura and then the rest showed up quickly at the end and I recognized Ai Kayano as the one and that eyepatch loli type girl,Mirai, who people have been talking about I recognized was voiced by Saori Goto, who does the voices of Moeka-san in Steins;Gate and Kukuru in Joshiraku. She's another one I like and wanted to hear more of.

I'm interested to see why they're the antagonists and why the two groups are fighting in the first place. While this first episode was mostly lighthearted in nature, judging by the opening it seems like things might get more serious in the future the way some of the girls are crying for example. That or a tragic past type event will be revealed maybe.

gashikunFLCL if you're reading this, are you watching the show? I was just wondering what your thoughts were since you played the game.

Mature

Now that I've had some time to digest, I can finally talk about a little anime known as Dark Cat.

Dark Cat [Dub]
4S40J.png

It's extremely important that I specify that I watched the dub of Dark Cat. The dub and the sub are very separate, very different experiences. For starters, if you were to watch it dubbed with the subs on, you'd notice that the dub is a sort of reversioning. The "story" is needlessly different, the dialogue conveys emotions in lines different than what is depicted on screen-- I'm pretty sure that this didn't have any direction at all. Which is a supported claim, as the dub actually sounds like it was recorded in a bath tub with a Yak Bak. What's more, the truly awful (turned fantastic) voice acting isn't the worst part. Nor is the complete disregard for scene coherency. The worst part of the audio is that the dub is overlayed in such a way, that it brings the rest of the movie's audio to a whisper. Toggling between the japanese track and the english track show that in parts where there's music in the former, it's nearly mute to completely absent in the latter. You're not hearing the movie when you hear the dub, you're just hearing the dub.

I'm not sure what the movies about even after watching it. It opened with people disappearing in puffs of smoke. Something that was never revisted the entirety of the movie. I think there was a Kamen Rider-esq mystery about people's emotions turning them into monsters. Except, instead of being masked fighters, they were large disgusting piles of phallic shapes.

Aside from that, there was things like
  • beam swords
  • cats
  • dark cats
  • bishie cat men
  • a giant naked woman
  • forest cleansings
  • space
  • a wizard
  • the word "faggot"
  • ascension into space
  • sensei babe
    turned alien dick mouth
And much more.

I think the weirdest part of this is how inside baseball it all feels. I did a little bit of wikipedia-ing, but there doesn't appear to be any other Dark Cat fiction... In which case 75% of this movie is just making stuff up and rolling with it. If I ever work up the guts to put this back in, I'll do a small write up on sub vs dub differences, because they're truly hysterical.

Anyway, it's great, go watch it.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 31

igNTQaibk0qhu.gif

THis episode certainly had no shortage of bad CG (and some surprisingly not terribly animated 2D stuff) but that scene in particular stood out to me. Still, it got pretty goddamn SHOUNEN HAATO in the end and the new ED's pretty good so this was definitely one of the better episodes.

Sounds like the necessary training such that I can complete SAO.
Trust me when I say that the misogyny in Wounded Man is on a whole nother level to SAO.

Dresden

I thought it was boring. What I've found is that actually seeing boobs swing about or be groped or be perilously close to having a nipple slip is nowhere near as sexy as just a pair of breasts settling on a rail or pooling on the table. And at some point the titillation must end, but as a TV anime that's all Senran Kagura will offer me.

Power to the folks that enjoy it.

Narag

Dark Cat [Dub]
You're not hearing the movie when you hear the dub, you're just hearing the dub.

I thought they cut out the radio music entirely in the dub until I realized just how low it was. It was super loud in the sub too which was crazy.

Ultimadrago

wait, why am I suddenly the representative of the holdouts? :lol

maaaaan now i'm feeling compelled to watch this show too

So I take it I should watch Senran Kagura?

I'm surprised this particular group of people didn't watch it out of curiosity already, if nothing else. It's what you guys think it is.

Will keep watching for reasons
, etc., etc.

Now that I've had some time to digest, I can finally talk about a little anime known as Dark Cat.

Dark Cat [Dub]
It's extremely important that I specify that I watched the dub of Dark Cat. The dub and the sub are very separate, very different experiences. For starters, if you were to watch it dubbed with the subs on, you'd notice that the dub is a sort of reversioning. The "story" is needlessly different, the dialogue conveys emotions in lines different than what is depicted on screen-- I'm pretty sure that this didn't have any direction at all. Which is a supported claim, as the dub actually sounds like it was recorded in a bath tub with a Yak Bak. What's more, the truly awful (turned fantastic) voice acting isn't the worst part. Nor is the complete disregard for scene coherency. The worst part of the audio is that the dub is overlayed in such a way, that it brings the rest of the movie's audio to a whisper. Toggling between the japanese track and the english track show that in parts where there's music in the former, it's nearly mute to completely absent in the latter. You're not hearing the movie when you hear the dub, you're just hearing the dub.

Anyway, it's great, go watch it.

Jive Guy is pleased with this offering to his awesome.

Geneijin

I thought it was boring. What I've found is that actually seeing boobs swing about or be groped or be perilously close to having a nipple slip is nowhere near as sexy as just a pair of breasts settling on a rail or pooling on the table. And at some point the titillation must end, but as a TV anime that's all Senran Kagura will offer me.

Power to the folks that enjoy it.
Sounds like something a manga reader would say.

Soma

Just give it a few episodes, what's the harm? Pass your judgement then.

Senran kagura is very good.
Its classy entertainment.
Excellent usage of your time.

I'm surprised this particular group of people didn't watch it out of curiosity already, if nothing else. It's what you guys think it is.
Will keep watching for reasons
, etc., etc.

I used to be such a pure person before I associated myself with you, AnimeGAF

Now I can never become a bride.

(Will watch... tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom