• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

The iDOLM@STER 18

Okay, maybe there's something I don't understand about idol culture and the differences between that and American music culture, but...have these guys ever heard of a delay before? Why couldn't they just delay the concert a couple of weeks so Azusa could recover and catch up with everybody else?

Otherwise, pretty nice episode. Surprising to see Ritsuko at the center of attention for once. She's always just kinda been there, serving her role as Tomuguu Komachi or whatever's producer and little else.

They really need to stop teasing the whole thing with Chihaya and her family and fucking get to it. Maybe that's how they're setting up the end?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Anyway, Spice and Wolf is not worth your time.
y1XgSAQ.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nothin' fake about SD's yuri, no goggles required.

I however, wear my yuri goggles frequently. ;P
You can't let fake yuri ruin the sanctity and purity of real yuri!

----

Polar Bear Cafe 43
Can any weebs (or Japanese speakers) explain these puns?
I know this is shiitake.

But what are these?
5VqFAjml.jpg

A pun based on "essa hoisa"?

UPCdlavl.jpg

The first pun here is "zouringen".

pgFKnd5l.jpg

This is supposed to be based on the Japanese word for pun.

duckroll

Tamako Market - Episode 5

*no screen because it's not worth it*

Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Okay, so the episode wasn't dreadful, but it's pretty meh compared to the last two weeks. This show really feels empty when it is focusing on Tamako or something directly related to Tamako. She is an uninteresting character, and sort of a blank slate. That sort of protagonist can work if the narrative is told from her perspective about other characters. That's not the case here though. The focus of the narrative in the show shifts depending on who they want to follow in a given episode, and it feels much strong when it is about the supporting cast.

Tamako's relationships and how people relate to her are simply not that interesting, especially with the way she reacts (or fails to react), making it feel pointless and boring. It was an issue in the earlier episodes, and it is an issue here. On the other hand, when the show focused specifically on individual characters without dealing directly with Tamako, it is pretty damn enjoyable. Feels kinda sad that such a otherwise well produced show has a weak link in the storytelling which is so obvious. You would think it's something they could easily catch in the conceptual stage and fix.

OceanBlue

Tamako Market - Episode 5

Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Okay, so the episode wasn't dreadful, but it's pretty meh compared to the last two weeks. This show really feels empty when it is focusing on Tamako or something directly related to Tamako. She is an uninteresting character, and sort of a blank slate. That sort of protagonist can work if the narrative is told from her perspective about other characters. That's not the case here though. The focus of the narrative in the show shifts depending on who they want to follow in a given episode, and it feels much strong when it is about the supporting cast.

Tamako's relationships and how people relate to her are simply not that interesting, especially with the way she reacts (or fails to react), making it feel pointless and boring. It was an issue in the earlier episodes, and it is an issue here. On the other hand, when the show focused specifically on individual characters without dealing directly with Tamako, it is pretty damn enjoyable. Feels kinda sad that such a otherwise well produced show has a weak link in the storytelling which is so obvious. You would think it's something they could easily catch in the conceptual stage and fix.

I don't think your issues with the show were something they overlooked. At the very least, Yamada and Yoshida expressed that they wanted Tamako's characterization to primarily come from the people around her. If it's boring, I don't think it's due to an oversight. It's probably just due to poor execution or an issue with how they implemented their concept.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Psycho Pass 16

WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK

duckroll

I don't think your issues with the show were something they overlooked. At the very least, Yamada and Yoshida expressed that they wanted Tamako's characterization to primarily come from the people around her. If it's boring, I don't think it's due to an oversight. It's probably just due to poor execution or an issue with how they implemented their concept.

I kinda disagree that it's not something they overlooked, considering:

Yoshida: Tamako is a girl who’s very proactive in the shopping district, but there’s very few scenes that show her point of view. If I really had to say, the scenario became a show where you see Tamako’s emotions from the reactions/point of view of those around her. Instead of being a show girl, she’s a girl who loves her family’s business, her shopping district and is just full of love. That doesn’t exclude outsiders too. She’s been brought up very well.

This is a good idea if that's what they're actually doing (ie: ep2-4), but it's a terrible idea if the story requires the audience to at least be somewhat invested in Tamako as a character for the scenario to work. There's no real reason to focus on something which means nothing whatosever to the audience. It becomes hollow and boring. It's not just the execution of the material, but the decision to build episodes around something this weak.

BluWacky

電波女? At first I thought you meant 電波的な彼女. I really wanted that to be picked up as an 1-cour.

Didn't they adapt virtually the entire thing in the OVA? There wouldn't have been enough material to justify remaking the whole thing.

(for people not kanji-literate Mitsuho is talking about Denpateki-na Kanojo, an OVA from 2009)

About all we really have learned about her is that she loves mochi because of her mother, wants her father to try new things with mochi, and has a song stuck in her head that she wants to learn about, which we were basically given in the first episode. The only thing we've really learned beyond that since then is that she's clueless about the feelings the people around her have for her and others.
Of course, I still haven't seen episode 5 yet. I mean, I love the characters, but her as the lead is pretty boring.

OceanBlue

I kinda disagree that it's not something they overlooked, considering:

This is a good idea if that's what they're actually doing (ie: ep2-4), but it's a terrible idea if the story requires the audience to at least be somewhat invested in Tamako as a character for the scenario to work. There's no real reason to focus on something which means nothing whatosever to the audience. It becomes hollow and boring. It's not just the execution of the material, but the decision to build episodes around something this weak.

Mm, I guess that's true too. What I meant was that the story is still being told about how Tamako "opens doors" for others, but it's just not executed that well because they did a poor job making Mochizou, Midori, and whatever potential struggle they have interesting to the viewer.

duckroll

Mitsuho, stop using Japanese on NeoGAF. It doesn't make you look smart, it doesn't make you cool, it just makes it harder for regular people to talk to you. Which could also annoy them. This is not some hippy foreign language message board, it is an English videogame forum. Thanks. :p

kayos90

Mitsuho, stop using Japanese on NeoGAF. It doesn't make you look smart, it doesn't make you cool, it just makes it harder for regular people to talk to you. Which could also annoy them. This is not some hippy foreign language message board, it is an English videogame forum. Thanks. :p

Laying down the law! BAM!

duckroll

Laying down the law! BAM!

Just saying what people have been thinking for a while now. While it started out as "kinda cute" for those of us who could read it, it's turning into a self-parody now. Better to terminate it before it turns into a bad joke.

kayos90

Just saying what people have been thinking for a while now. While it started out as "kinda cute" for those of us who could read it, it's turning into a self-parody now. Better to terminate it before it turns into a bad joke.

It's already a bad joke. And I'm bad with jokes...

/XX/

/XX/ is my Evageeks bro.
Nonoriri (our true Nonoriri) would be another 'bro' from there... if only he still posted around here... :-(
Nonoriri, as a new incentive for you; in a couple of weeks I'll send you images from something by "SIUMAI" that I'm sure you will like!

That's nothing, yesterday in the manga i noticed "Midichlorians" in a 1994/1996 printing... Episode 1 didn't come out til 1999.
http://www.evamonkey.com/randomimages/midichlorians.gif
That particular episode was published in December 1999.
Yep, it was an intended reference to that film all along. I don't know what it was present on the actual stage from the Young Ace magazine serialization, and as they sometimes change... things (be advised; explicit content ahead), I'm not sure if it figured the same text on it, but seeing the publishing dates of the 'Volume 6' by Kadokawa Shoten I have right now on my hands shows the compilation was made from 'STAGE.34' (the one in question) to 'STAGE.40' serialized through December, 1999 to March-April, 2000 and July-November, 2000 (初岀/『月刊少年エース』´99年 12月 号、´00年 2〜4月 号、7〜11月 号)... fact which also hints at how much faster Mr. Sadamoto was pumping out these at that time!

The first edition release of the volume was out on December 15, 2000 (2000 年 12 月 15日 初版發行)...
while mine is the 30th one, heh.

My apologies. I skimmed the thread, must have just missed it. ;_;
Ha, ha! No need to apologize... it was a comment made tongue-in-cheek, my pal. :)

Mitsuho

Banned
Didn't they adapt virtually the entire thing in the OVA? There wouldn't have been enough material to justify remaking the whole thing.

Hmm, I still wanted to know more about the world and such. The dark tones reminded me of Boogiepop.

And subject all of you to hebon-shiki versus nihon-shiki arguments? Personal preference is hepburn with kanji as initial letter capitalized, particles as all lower-case, and katakana as all caps. Always been kinda embarrassed admit to never figuring out the alt+ thing for putting the bar over long vowels. Edit: Anyone good at it? I'm using Win7 and Google IME in direct input mode.

fertygo

Gintama 86-87

What a awesome mini arc, dat ending ;__;
Man these serious episode becoming so good now.. Its so intense, brutal and emotional.. can't believe this is come from a mostly comedy show. My favorite story so far, episode involving the Shinsengumi always good.

duckroll

Here's a truly sad story. I had totally missed this post because I haven't been reading the thread as regularly lately. But because of his Japanese posting, I got curious and decided to check his post history to see how annoying it actually was, and saw that. Poor junior member. :(

Here's a truly sad story. I had totally missed this post because I haven't been reading the thread as regularly lately. But because of his Japanese posting, I got curious and decided to check his post history to see how annoying it actually was, and saw that. Poor junior member. :(

I think you're taking that quote out of context there, but whatever. He probably should have put a disclaimer in the post.

/XX/

So, the ban is permanent then? I think Mitsuho wasn't serious with that, it was only a way of talking referring to the topic they were commenting about at that moment. Most probably it was a 4Chan "impression", as kayos90 aptly says below that post.

Theonik

:BGBW - Yuru Yuri/ Akarin
I was thinking more along the lines of "cheeky cheek" but sure that works too.

What would that mean?!

The lesson to draw here is to keep a low profile especially as a junior. If you don't, your past sins will also be exposed.

duckroll

So, the ban is permanent then? I think Mitsuho wasn't serious with that, it was only a way of talking referring to the topic they were commenting about at that moment. Most probably it was a 4Chan "impression", as kayos90 aptly says below that post.

People who want to make 4chan impressions on NeoGAF are the first to be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom