• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

yama no susume - 08

If you can't spare 3 mins a week to watch one of the very few good shows this season, you're not only turning away from the future of anime, you're also supporting communism.

xqezLIC.jpg

CorvoSol

You like Gundam AGE, so I can't really feel criticized by you anyway.

Leos, Virgos, & Taurus> Zoks, Gelgoogs and Goufs.

I'll give Zaku it's just due, as the second most iconic mobile suit for good reason, but Guncannon and Guntank continue to be incredibly dorky mobile suits. Guncannon in particular. All of them work well for rank and file soldiers, but I'm just so used to the villain having his own special mobile suit design now, that seeing him in a common suit, even one made faster by red paint, is jarring.

It's all better than anything AGE ever spat up, though.

jbug617

Banned
Haganai Next 7

Please tell me this isn't going to end in a harem where the MC isn't smart enough to recognize that everyone is making a play for him.

The plot just an excuse for the fireworks, just like Strike Witches.

The difference is that Strike Witches' plot doesn't detract from the show's enjoyment. It's absurd and entertaining if you're not one of those people who think fanservice is the devil. Horizon's lack of explaining anything makes me not care about the world, the characters, or those characters doing things in that world.

fertygo

The difference is that Strike Witches' plot doesn't detract from the show's enjoyment. It's absurd and entertaining if you're not one of those people who think fanservice is the devil. Horizon's lack of explaining anything makes me not care about the world, the characters, or those characters doing things in that world.

Well I have handy site that make thing less confusing to me, they rushing 4 (or so) book with 1000 pages into 26 episode afterall,

But regardless I'm not thinking too much for the plot, its all Chuunibyou trope that I'm well accustomed from VN and J-RPG.

Leos, Virgos, & Taurus> Zoks, Gelgoogs and Goufs.

I'll give Zaku it's just due, as the second most iconic mobile suit for good reason, but Guncannon and Guntank continue to be incredibly dorky mobile suits. Guncannon in particular. All of them work well for rank and file soldiers, but I'm just so used to the villain having his own special mobile suit design now, that seeing him in a common suit, even one made faster by red paint, is jarring.

It's all better than anything AGE ever spat up, though.

No way. The Gouf is far cooler than any of those lame things your trotting out are.

I'm also not sure how anyone could hate the Gelgoog. It just oozes 'boss' at every turn.

Also, the Guncannon and Guntank were great. Especially the Guncannon.

Robotics;Notes 18

As tense as those last minutes were of the episode, I still don't care about Aki's story, the giant robot or whatever.
Though I guess I'll have to care if she was the one who somehow got shot.

CorvoSol

No way. The Gouf is far cooler than any of those lame things your trotting out are.

I'm also not sure how anyone could hate the Gelgoog. It just oozes 'boss' at every turn.

Also, the Guncannon and Guntank were great. Especially the Guncannon.

The Gouf just looks like a Zaku with a snout. The Virgo is like a freaking Phazon Suit Samus. And Guncannon looks like the MP Gundams, but with two cannons stuck on it. It's design is basically red guy with cannons for shoulders.

Does any other series ever even bother to reuse the Guncannon design? I know Wing reuses the Guntank, but I've never seen Guncannon's return.

All of it is better than the Gundam modules, though. G-Armor and G-Bull are so lame.

vivired 7

speaking of shows that don't look like shit, vivired still surprises me that shit still can look consistently good.

And akane gets fan CG death. ouch.

yellow is best as always.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Time to review...

Lolita Anime 4

WAIT NO!!! fuuuuck, I thought it was over.. I can do this though, I'm gonna see it through! Alright *deep breath*

1426343-GC1HTTG.jpg

Ah church again. Of course this has nothing to do with anything this time. They just feel like shoving a fucking church down my throat before we start. Like, Hey you delinquient! Remember that God is watching you right now! You're gonna go to hell so don't forget! Anyways...On a warm and sunny spring afternoon young Tomoya has decided to visit the home of her Sensei, Sensei, to ask for guidence (or to deliver a package left at school).

1426346-ZN78FSJ.jpg

WHile she wal... wait - you know this shot doesn't really work right? It doesn't even match! Look at this motherfucker doest match!! Can't you even, oh fuck it lol

Instead she is welcomed into his beautiful cottage where he has been spending all morning and afternoon preparing the most illest supper that two people could never finish.

She wonders why the sake tastes funny and he says bitch that aint sake that's sangria, an exotic drink you can't even get in Nippon. He awkwardly eats a piece of monkfish liver.

Tomoya becomes intoxicated after like two drinks and can't tell the difference between what's up and what's down. She notices that Sensei has a toilet in his living room, but it's wobbly because she's so crunk on his sangria. Tomoya is shocked by the toilet and falls to the ground. Sensei uses this chance to tie her in bondage ropes and hoisten her up to the rafters in his living room. She pees on his hands and face, but it's just rainbow, so it's not really that gross.He tosses her by her harness around the room nude like Spider-man and jazz music plays in the background while Tomoya screams for help. He then takes her outside and ties her harnesses to some trees and plays with her like a tether ball. After she is done throwing a fit over the events that just transpired, Tomoya and sensei frolick nude through a garden while giggling. Tomoya then randomly attempts some kind of ASL (or rave dancing hand gesture) while Sensei does the Baleman.

Later in the episode, Sensei's wife/mistress (who appears to be a cross between Jem, and Ursula), seduces Tomoya while giving her piano lessons. She makes quick work of her and the two appear on the bed shortly. Head and body sizes flucuate frequently (nsfw)
While this is happening Sensei is in his pad drawing some naked girls, and drinking nasty coffee out of a percolator. Gross.

WHY IS YOUR HEAD SO BIG??

WTF even is this?! WHY IS YOUR ARMCOMING OUT OF YOURFACE?!? How do I even sex.

Of course the sex is animated horribly, and the characters just appear to all have seizures while in a state of ecstacy. Sensei reapears and the classic couple-seduces young-and-inexperienced-frueline fantasy ensues (Mrs Extollere please!) As Sensei dominates both of his subjects, he appears to release some kind of pulsating censorship vortex that blinds the eyes.I don't know why this is necessary since there isn't any censorship elsewhere, but it's very bright and flashes harshly causing you to look away. An effect that the animation has already caused on it's own up until the point anyways.

Anyways Ursula says your legs are mine bitch to Tomoya, and in a heated moment of passion Tomoya seizes an opportunity to grab an iron lamp and strike Ursula directly in the face delivering an impassioned fatal blow TO HER FACE.

/Credits roll.

okay

Solid 4 out of 10.

CorvoSol

Time to review...

Lolita Anime 4

WAIT NO!!! fuuuuck, I thought it was over.. I can do this though, I'm gonna see it through! Alright *deep breath*

1426343-GC1HTTG.jpg

Ah church again. Of course this has nothing to do with anything this time. They just feel like shoving a fucking church down my throat before we start. Like, Hey you delinquient! Remember that God is watching you right now! You're gonna go to hell so don't forget! Anyways...On a warm and sunny spring afternoon young Tomoya has decided to visit the home of her Sensei, Sensei, to ask for guidence (or to deliver a package left at school).

1426346-ZN78FSJ.jpg

WHile she wal... wait - you know this shot doesn't really work right? It doesn't even match! Look at this motherfucker doest match!! Can't you, oh fuck it lol

Instead she is welcomed into his beautiful cottage where he has been spending all morning and afternoon preparing the most illest supper that two people could never finish.

She wonders why the sake tastes funny and he says bitch that aint sake that's sangria, an exotic drink you can't get in Nippon. He awkwardly eats a piece of monkfish liver.

Tomoya becomes intoxicated after like two drinks and can't tell the difference between what's up and what's down. She notices that Sensei has a toilet in his living room, but it's wobbly because she's so crunk on his sangria. Tomoya is shocked by the toilet and falls to the ground. Sensei uses this chance to tie her in bondage ropes and hoisten her up to the rafters in his living room. She pees on his hands and face, but it's just rainbow, so it's not really that gross.He tosses her by her harness around the room nude like Spider-man and jazz music plays in the background while Tomoya screams for help. He then takes her outside and ties her harnesses to some trees and plays with her like a tether ball. After she is done throwing a fit over the events that just transpired, Tomoya and sensei frolick nude through a garden while giggling. Tomoya then randomly attempts some kind of ASL (or rave dancing hand gesture) while Sensei does the Baleman.

Later in the episode, Sensei's wife/mistress (who appears to be a cross between Jem, and Ursula), seduces Tomoya while giving her piano lessons. She makes quick work of her and the two appear on the bed shortly. Head and body sizes flucuate frequently (nsfw)
While this is happening Sensei is in his pad drawing some naked girls, and drinking nasty coffee out of a percolator. Gross.

WHY IS YOUR HEAD SO BIG??

WTF even is this?! WHY IS YOUR ARMCOMING OUT OF YOURFACE?!? How do I even sex.

Of course the sex is animated horribly, and the characters just appear to all have seizures while in a state of ecstacy. Sensei reapears and the classic couple-seduces young-and-inexperienced-frueline fantasy ensues (Mrs Extollere please!) As Sensei dominates both of his subjects, he appears to release some kind of pulsating censorship vortex that blinds the eyes.I don't know why this is necessary since there isn't any censorship elsewhere, but it's very bright and flashes harshly causing you to look away. An effect that the animation has already caused on it's own up until the point anyways.

Anyways Ursula says your legs are mine bitch to Tomoya, and in a heated moment of passion Tomoya seizes an opportunity to grab an iron lamp and strike Ursula directly in the face delivering an impassioned fatal blow TO HER FACE.

/Credits roll.

okay

Solid 4 out of 10.

The hell even happened in this episode!? This is why I watch giant robot shows. It couldn't get that- oh wait nevermind it could.

Rinne No Lagrange 4

If I had never played FFXIII, I would never have been so prepared for magical tramp stamps, but there it is. Muginami :chets when she walks. Yeesh. This show is gonna service you fans and NO ONE IS GONNA STOP IT.

Rah Xephon 11

This episode was better when Evangelion and The Big O did it. But I mean, at least it was interesting, since journeys to the center of the mind tend to be. But again, this episode (THIS EXACT EPISODE) was better in NGE and TBO. Particularly because both Shinji and Roger had had actual problems to deal with by the time they were offered the chance to lose their sanity and run away, and Ayato has basically been bumming around on a beach until now.

And like, how have we gone 11 episodes and the show hasn't answered the very first question it posed? Like, the whole blue blood thing, why did no one ever bother to tell Ayato about that?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rinne No Lagrange 4

If I had never played FFXIII, I would never have been so prepared for magical tramp stamps, but there it is. Muginami :chets when she walks. Yeesh. This show is gonna service you fans and NO ONE IS GONNA STOP IT.
That's okay, it stops itself.

zeroshiki

I went into Summer Wars not knowing anything about it other than the title and that the director also made The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It was a great experience.

Thoraxes

Psycho Pass - 18

This is the first time QUALITY has ruined my enjoyment of a show. I can usually deal with it, but this was a little much.

Branduil

Summer Wars

I enjoyed this a lot more the second time around. The metaplot is pretty liberally stolen from Hosoda's earlier Our War Game, and I still feel like Kenji and Natsuki's story gets lost to a certain degree as the plot escalates, but overall it's a successful blockbuster film about the importance of family, in the Japanese sense of the word. By far the strongest aspect of the movie is its depiction of the Jinnouchi family and their believable interaction together. Anyone who has a big family or knows someone with a big family can relate to the characters here; most are pretty broadly sketched, as expected from a two-hour film with such a large cast, but it works because, rather than a collection of individuals, the family itself can be viewed as a character. I thought the most effective scenes were the ones between the grandmother and Wabisuke. The Koi Koi scene is cornball as all-get-out, but that's just the kind of movie it is. Also it's funny how both this and TGWLTT end with
a kiss fakeout.

Visually, Hosoda got a substantially larger budget to work with here than in previous films, and it shows. The backgrounds are beautiful and detailed, and the movie is full of expressive animation and scenes with far more characters moving around than is normal for an anime film. The OZ portions also feature some of the best-integrated CGI work I've seen in anime. It helps that it's an extremely stylized digital world, and in particular the effect used for Love Machine works really well.

Overall it's a fun movie that's well-told, even if the protagonist is far more forgettable than Makoto.

And now a first look at the Playstation 4:

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 37

kingdom37.jpg

I too can't believe there's only one episode of this left. THERE IS FINALLY LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.

Psycho Pass 18

Maybe it's because I'm just super tired and my eyes were struggling to stay open, but I didn't see much visually wrong with this episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sasami 7

Although it feels like the show has basically come together after this episode, I almost miss the weird WTF-ness of the first couple of episodes. That said, as what surely looks like a SHAFT-lite show based on how reserved it has become, I think I'm enjoying how the show deals with fate and filial piety. It probably plays a lot better if you know more than what Persona 4 told you about Japanese gods, but hey, I just assume it's about Zeus and Athena (and Xena) and it works just fine for me.

Dresden

tamako market 06

Joyful, life-affirming, made me a better human being and I leveled up my compassion and empathy parameters. +5 A+++

wonzo

Banned
Sasami@Unmotivated 7

sasami7.jpg

Well I'll be, this started off pretty strong and while it kinda collapsed on itself narrative wise in the middle it was able to pull off a pretty good ending for this episode. Good stuff, now if only the rest of the show was as "consistent" as this one was.

Oh, and for whoever it was who keeps calling the Haganai manga superior to the anime, the anime's home page currently has a top illustration by the manga artist for today's episode:

There's even a full-size wallpaper version of it up for download.
Awesome. *downloads*

That's until seasons 2 happens.
Why must you deny me this moment of happiness?

cajunator

Banned
tonight was one of those barnburner night.
it was a worknight of legendary proportions where fate decided to take a steaming megadump on me for the sheer twisted evil fucked up thrill of it.
it was as though a hundred clusters of a hundred fucks decided to reconcile their diferences as one entity under murphys law of every possible thing bad that can happen will not only happen but also laugh at you while fucking your sister.
so yeah its been a bad night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom