• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I guess if anything I'm more of a shoujo and slice-of-life fan... I mean, I'll watch anything, but I generally default to those kinds of anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This brings up a good question. What is the biggest faction on AnimeGAF? This calls for a list.

Shounenbros? Magical bros? Yuri-fans?

(please, this is a joke topic so no spoilsports going all "i only watch good anime")

Is moe too broad? "Cute" shows feel like they have a pretty far-reaching representation here.

Syrinx

Usagi Drop 4

Daikichi seemed pretty hot for Rin's friend's mom. Maybe if they can hit it off they can avoid the manga's pitfall.

Rin singing "Twinkle twinkle little star" and reading that book were so fucking adorable. Who could abandon this kid?

This brings up a good question. What is the biggest faction on AnimeGAF? This calls for a list.

(please, this is a joke topic so no spoilsports going all "i only watch good anime")

ShounenBro
BroLoveBro
Otome fan
DubFan

I thought KawaiiMoeGirls fans and ArmchairAnimators were the biggest factions

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar 2

OH MAN I'M GONNA HAVE A SEIZURE.

"It's that strange feeling again!" Yeah, that's just puberty, Mamoru. Holy cow the world of GGG is dark, what with ten year olds on dates to death matches.

Narag

Gundam AGE 45

I guess this counts as coming full circle given there's a real
space monster
now. Taking Zeheart's mask was some serious bullshit too.

Mature

Is moe too broad? "Cute" shows feel like they have a pretty far-reaching representation here.
Yup.

My genre likes according to MALgraph:
# Name Count Mean Hours
1 Mystery 52 7.12 387.88h
2 Comedy 51 6.95 409.92h
3 Sci-fi 50 7.79 175.58h
4 Action 49 7.03 154.45h
5 Adventure 48 7.28 378.58h
6 Drama 40 7.70 128.45h
7 Romance 26 6.67 81.82h
8 Supernatural 22 6.13 50.42h
9 Mecha 21 7.68 80.20h
10 Military 20 8.12 68.42h

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The problem is that almost every show has a moe character. So it would have to be moe-something to be acurate.

I really don't want to embroil anyone in a miserable, intractable discussion on the definition of moe, so I'll just try to be more specific and restate as "shows where the cuteness of the girls is the primary vehicle for entertainment".

Articalys

Which reminds me that I'm a seiyuu whore. Anything with Miyuki Sawashiro in it can't possible be bad!
Well, the general rule is less "if Sawashiro is in the show then it will be good" and more "if Sawashiro is in the show then she will be voicing the best character".
This is applicable in most cases with only a few outliers.

Well, the general rule is less "if Sawashiro is in the show then it will be good" and more "if Sawashiro is in the show then she will be voicing the best character".

This chart exists for a reason.

FU1uD.gif

I really don't want to embroil anyone in a miserable, intractable discussion on the definition of moe, so I'll just try to be more specific and restate as "shows where the cuteness of the girls is the primary vehicle for entertainment".

I cann see what you want to say, and yet I can't boil it down to an anime type. I guess it's because I usualy don't watch this kind of anime so much. My wild guess is: wouldn't that be the same as comedy and slice of life animes? Or is there more to it?

cajunator

Banned
Probably Kio's shining moment for me. Seeing him stick it to Flit was the best, but I wish they'd carried it all the way through. "You're no savior!" Is the best timed line of the entire series.

Rinne No Fanservice 7

Hoo boy, was there ever fanservice in this episode. From the eels to the baths to the skinny dipping to the groping. LOTS of fanservice. What surprised me, though, was that it was an excellent episode with meaningful moments, fanservice not withstanding. The eels were egregious, but the bath served as a meaningful, if pandering, bonding experience for the girls. They're starting to really pull together now, and it's turning into a heartwarming little show about the powerpuff girls. We also got to see some backstory to Muginami and Google Video.

that eel scene is not as good as the Maburaho eel scene.
that one is a classic.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
KyoAniApologist

How many people here can you name that liked Hyouka and Chooney, much less anyone who dogmatically defends the studio against any and all perceived slights and criticisms? You'll find studio fans aplenty, but no apologists.

I thought toilets were in that same category too, but well you all did have pages of discussions of that in Accel World...

C'mon, man, those were Great Moments in AnimeGAF History™

I cann see what you want to say, and yet I can't boil it down to an anime type. I guess it's because I usualy don't watch this kind of anime so much. My wild guess is: wouldn't that be the same as comedy and slice of life animes? Or is there more to it?

"Cute" anime can belong to any genre, it just so happens that there's an overlap with many comedies and slice-of-lifes due to those being genres where the entertainment is fueled by character interaction first and foremost.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I actually stayed up way late that night just to read the ongoing conversation.

I wasn't watching Accel World then and I chose to go to bed early that night for whatever reason. Double self-ownage.

edit: there was no reason for me to make this a DP /headdesk

"Cute" anime can belong to any genre, it just so happens that there's an overlap with many comedies and slice-of-lifes due to those being genres where the entertainment is fueled by character interaction first and foremost.

I think I understand what you're saying, only I don't have examples to make it clearer but whatever. Arguing over cute is not my aim
today

cajunator

Banned
How many people here can you name that liked Hyouka and Chooney, much less anyone who dogmatically defends the studio against any and all perceived slights and criticisms? You'll find studio fans aplenty, but no apologists.

C'mon, man, those were Great Moments in AnimeGAF History™

I like both shows.
don't most people?

What...isn't that wheelchair robot?

yes. oh god yes.

Moonlight

Banned

The Kingdom of KyoKami, obviously.

But seriously, I don't really identify under any real subgroup in general, I just... watch anime.

Theonik

Mirai Nikki 26 END
Well that was certainly something... The show pulled a last ditch effort of BS, things went awol one last time and then it ended. The ending was certainly something. I'm not sure I'm satisfied by it and the post ED stuff is rage inducing levels of teasing. Fuck this show.
Ok, I wanted to elaborate on this, spoilers ahead, full ending!
So basically Yukki 2 breaks free from his bonds and stops Yuno 1 from killing Yuno 3, asking her to kill him and go be the god of universe 2 she instead kills herself. Now Yukki 2 is the god of universe 2, we get a horrible tease with Yukki 3 somehow remembering Yukki 1 though she shouldn't and we don't actually find out what happens to her, it's a sort of variation to the annoying life goes on ending but with an additional though still cliche kick in the nuts. But no it's worse, because in universe 3 nothing has actually happened so they even invoke the "it was all a dream" ending to an extent. Not satisfied though with torturing the viewer the mangaka decided to go back. Yukki 2 is the god of universe 2 and has spent the last 10,000 years being depressed at Yuno 1 (and perhaps 2, they never seem clear about how he feels about the whole time mess "Yuno is Yuno!!!") he is trapped in eternal depression not creating everything and keeping Universe 2 as an apocalyptic world of sorrow staring at the final entry of "Yuno died". ROLL THE ED. You think that's it? Then the show really starts laughing at you. You get Yukki 2's universe somehow shattered or at least you hear that and hear Yuno cry out to him. *ANOTHER PROJECT IS HAPPENING* ENJOY THE KICK IN THE NUTS SUCKERS!! So, they take a very bittersweet ending, then kick you in the nuts for good measure. Good thing I read the wiki entry after that otherwise I'd be even more pissed at this. Where this teaser goes is even more moronic but at least in the "real end" of sorts they wrap things up.

Ok, I wanted to elaborate on this, spoilers ahead, full ending!
So basically Yukki 2 breaks free from his bonds and stops Yuno 1 from killing Yuno 3, asking her to kill him and go be the god of universe 2 she instead kills herself. Now Yukki 2 is the god of universe 2, we get a horrible tease with Yukki 3 somehow remembering Yukki 1 though she shouldn't and we don't actually find out what happens to her, it's a sort of variation to the annoying life goes on ending but with an additional though still cliche kick in the nuts. But no it's worse, because in universe 3 nothing has actually happened so they even invoke the "it was all a dream" ending to an extent. Not satisfied though with torturing the viewer the mangaka decided to go back. Yukki 2 is the god of universe 2 and has spent the last 10,000 years being depressed at Yuno 1 (and perhaps 2, they never seem clear about how he feels about the whole time mess "Yuno is Yuno!!!") he is trapped in eternal depression not creating everything and keeping Universe 2 as an apocalyptic world of sorrow staring at the final entry of "Yuno died". ROLL THE ED. You think that's it? Then the show really starts laughing at you. You get Yukki 2's universe somehow shattered or at least you hear that and hear Yuno cry out to him. *ANOTHER PROJECT IS HAPPENING* ENJOY THE KICK IN THE NUTS SUCKERS!! So, they take a very bittersweet ending, then kick you in the nuts for good measure. Good thing I read the wiki entry after that otherwise I'd be even more pissed at this. Where this teaser goes is even more moronic but at least in the "real end" of sorts they wrap things up.

Should read the manga. Anime cut the ending off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom