• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Olympics 2022 |OT| Ice cold

Tschumi

I just realised there aren't any general discussion threads about the Winter Olympics, so I thought I'd boot one up.

I'll start it off. Watching the figure skating, and props need to be given to the French guy, SIAO HIM FA A, for best music - in his short routine he used the Star Wars theme, and for the second dig he used a Daft Punk mix.. good stuff, better than these cheesy neo-classical hack tracks most of them use... He scored pretty high too, despite fluffing like 3 jumps and skipping a move... I guess he tried to do an extremely difficult routine and shock the world, but he didn't manage it... Landed his first jump though, that's always the hardest, it seems...

Hanyu Yuzuru skating early in the program after skipping a jump in his first outing, he wants to be the first to do a certain jump in competition, but he's got a huge gap to make up on the leaders. The patch of ice where he wants to make history seems to be slightly depressed, he has stacked there a few times in warm up... Probably not his year. The 18 year old freak whose name i currently forget, also Japanese, is probably going to be the one to take it to American WR getter Nathan Chen. The world #1 atm is an Italian blonde, but he wasn't much cop in the first routine.

Canadian guy with the world's most cocky lopsided grin is going to do it in a red flannel shirt.. swag

I'm getting more of this then other events because three of the top competitors are Japanese, happy to hear about other events...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only event I watch are the key mens ice hockey games. I'll also watch womens USA vs Canada finals because that event is ridiculous as a two country event forever.

All other events I dont care, nor do I even know the schedule. I'll put on a sports channel as background noise and whatever is on is on. Short track speed skating is probably my second fav event if I had to pick, but dont know enough about the athletes or the timing of the million short track events to care or follow. I just watch and hope for crashes. Same for skiing and snowboarding.

I find lots of Olympic events really boring as the difference between first and 10th can be a few seconds, which for the human eye nobody could tell the difference. But everyone can appreciate a big wipeout.

I'm lucky that Team Canada hockey is always on (at least here it is). So I'm covered. But if I was a fan of other events or athletes (especially from other countries) it likely wont even be on TV. You'd have to find some foreign channel stream.

Way too many events too.

Tschumi

Canadian dude done pretty good with a safe but warm routine.. i think he's had that hair cut and smirk since he was the star of his highschool :p

Did my thread title get changed or was i schizoid for a moment there :p

Last edited:

Tschumi

Ah well, yuzuru hanyu clearly wanted to compile the hardest routine evar but his nerves killed his first two jumps, he's first for now but certainly not for long.

Tschumi

Fan of the American Jason Brown, he doesn't get the biggest scores but he's hella smooth and seems to enjoy it, never makes big mistakes - did his routine to the theme of Schindler's List which was a great touch - i think he's just doing it for fun, but he's so good at it he's near the top of the world... Both of his efforts at this Olympics were his PBs.

The guy from Georgia is pretty awesome too, quiet excellence.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Nathan Chen needs a pretty fantastic score to win, but he got the wr in the first round so if anyone can..

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Screenshot-2022-02-10-101732.png

Tschumi

Apparently there are questions about why the Russian anti doping group lifted a ban on this 15 year old figure skating girl earned in December

Why the fuck are they doping a 15 year old... Sick bastards.

Apparently it combats fatigue, guess so she could train longer or something

Last edited:

Tschumi

Shaun White falling on his last run seemed to meet expectations after Hanyu and Uchimura, both legends, failed in this and the summer Olympics, respectively

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Apparently there are questions about why the Russian anti doping group lifted a ban on this 15 year old figure skating girl earned in December

Why the fuck are they doping a 15 year old... Suck bastards.

Apparently it combats fatigue, guess so she could train longer or something
There is always an incentive for athletes to use PEDs if they can get away with it.

Tschumi

Only event I watch are the key mens ice hockey games. I'll also watch womens USA vs Canada finals because that event is ridiculous as a two country event forever.

All other events I dont care, nor do I even know the schedule. I'll put on a sports channel as background noise and whatever is on is on. Short track speed skating is probably my second fav event if I had to pick, but dont know enough about the athletes or the timing of the million short track events to care or follow. I just watch and hope for crashes. Same for skiing and snowboarding.

I find lots of Olympic events really boring as the difference between first and 10th can be a few seconds, which for the human eye nobody could tell the difference. But everyone can appreciate a big wipeout.

I'm lucky that Team Canada hockey is always on (at least here it is). So I'm covered. But if I was a fan of other events or athletes (especially from other countries) it likely wont even be on TV. You'd have to find some foreign channel stream.

Way too many events too.
Ur beating Canada wooo

RAÏSanÏa

They wont even medal with this ragtag group of former NHL castoffs and amateurs.
They did much better than expected when I watched the game. Not that USA is fielding its best either. They seemed about equal.
Glad the lad from Oliver, BC got the shorty and a goal at the games.

Alandring

In curling, Switzerland is pretty good: men are at 3-1 and women at 4-0. It's nice, because the mixed double was really disappointing.

Tams

I've never really been interested in the Winter Olympics.

Then add in the utter corruption of the IOC and it being held in the PRC and I have no interest in it other than to mock it. And they're making it so easy.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'll leave you lot here to enjoy it if that's your thing.

SkylineRKR

I've never really been interested in the Winter Olympics.

Then add in the utter corruption of the IOC and it being held in the PRC and I have no interest in it other than to mock it. And they're making it so easy.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'll leave you lot here to enjoy it if that's your thing.

Its absolutely corrupted.

The short track relay, China simply botched. But then they advance because of some non existing foul play? The 500m speed skating, China guy had a great run, sure, but then a myriad of false starts that weren't false starts at all, disrupting the pace of the competitors. They're pushing China to win medals.

RAÏSanÏa

5 - 0 for Canada vs China in Men's Hockey

The score doesn't quite give the Chinese skill and heritage of their team's players their due.

The 25-man China roster includes 17 skaters who either were born or spent their childhoods in North America and one from Russia. Fans of the National Hockey League may recognize Brandon Yip, who played 174 games in the league. The most famous name belongs to Jake Chelios, the 28-year-old son of NHL legend Chris Chelios. While playing for China, however, he goes by Jieke Kailaosi.

He’s American and very proud of it,” said Chris Chelios of his son in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. “He wanted to play bad and I supported it 100%.”

Jake Chelios confirmed that he and several of his Team China teammates still have their American passports. When asked whether he had naturalized as a Chinese citizen, Chelios said, “I don’t think we’re supposed to comment on that.

Tschumi

Damn, the cute Japanese snowboarder who looks like one of my favourite girlfriends from my teens just stacked badly, staggered off the slope...

images

She was probably the best of the Japanese boarders too...

Women's snowboarding (big air, slope style) seems to have the most casual athletes I've ever seen at any Olympics.
Some of the women's skateboarders at the summer Olympics were pretty ridiculous.. a 13 year old won gold there but her name was Momiji ("Japanese maple") so I'm a fan

Tschumi

Damn! She came back and did a crazy jump with one hand in the air, but couldn't land it clearly.. distraught.. amazing trick though

Darchaos

So Canada against Sweden eey. Usually this is a match every swede looks forward to, but know with the b and c- teams in this tournament....meh. Anyway, ofcourse i gonna whatch the match and root for Sweden! So what do you guys think who will win? I bet 6-2 to Canada.

Tschumi

Canadian women's speed skaters wayyy too happy for a team that won because one of the Japanese skaters fell... I mean fair play, they won a lot of tough races so i won't hold it against them, but come on you don't need to whoop with triumph when your opponents are on their backsides.. Japan were way in front when they crashed,too

Last edited:

Tschumi

So Canada against Sweden eey. Usually this is a match every swede looks forward to, but know with the b and c- teams in this tournament....meh. Anyway, ofcourse i gonna whatch the match and root for Sweden! So what do you guys think who will win? I bet 6-2 to Canada.
How did that one go? I was out during it

RAÏSanÏa

Odds may favour Sweden. Canada has to play China's Can/USA team again today. They're not as bad as Canada's 5 - 0 win over them in the prelims suggests. Sweden gets a little extra rest before meeting Canada if they win against China. Then again, the extra game might help Canada gel better as a team. Even if that game with China goes well it's less than 24 hours before Canada plays Sweden. It's going to be a tough one for Canada to win. Feeling it's going to be a tough one for Canada to win and they have to face what could be anything from a blowout to a close win for Sweden. Going to guess 4 - 1 Sweden. Go Team Canada!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The Russian dopers is a sad situation, there's all kinds of negative drug stories during the Olympics so its good to see actual winners clean up the narratives. USA dropped a couple competitions, the skiing and curling has been good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Russian dopers is a sad situation, there's all kinds of negative drug stories during the Olympics so its good to see actual winners clean up the narratives. USA dropped a couple competitions, the skiing and curling has been good.
Big issue with doping with Russian athletes for a long time. Never changes. Got to put up that bravado to prove to the world how great they are. Not at economics or politics or livelihood........ but at sports. Sad.

Canadian women's speed skaters wayyy too happy for a team that won because one of the Japanese skaters fell... I mean fair play, they won a lot of tough races so i won't hold it against them, but come on you don't need to whoop with triumph when your opponents are on their backsides.. Japan were way in front when they crashed,too
The better team won, they can celebrate however they like. Staying on your skates is the biggest consideration in speed skating.
You can't just put all your attribute points into Speed and guarantee a win.

RAÏSanÏa

Congrats Sweden! That's a result of good player selection, discipline and solid coaching. Looking forward to Sweden's game with ROC.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didnt watch the game. Only caught the last 5 min of it so I dont know if one team outplayed the other.

Knew Canada wouldnt get far. ROC will likely win.

Tschumi

Is ice hockey amateur at the Olympics? Or is it only for selected countries? I bet Roc just pay them through other means and train them to pro standards.. and dope em

Darchaos

Is it ok to call ROC Russia or am i banned for doing that? Shit....intense!! Anyway, what do i as a swede think about that game? Who gives a shit! But after the game against Canada, they growed for me, alot! So yeah, i do think they will win, couse of Lasse in the goal, so 3-2 to Sweden!

Tschumi

Big issue with doping with Russian athletes for a long time. Never changes. Got to put up that bravado to prove to the world how great they are. Not at economics or politics or livelihood........ but at sports. Sad.

Putin seems to be trying to paint hinself as Russia's ticket into the global game.. without the ex-kgb badass skirting the rules and playing chicken Russia can't succeed... I think it's his strategy to keep in power, connect hinself directly with the Russian concept of the masterful man... So yeah his brazen doping fits nicely into it... He used to be based in East Berlin from memory, and the East Germans were colossal dopers..

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Nobody watching the best sport... curling?

It's USA v. Denmark right now, USA wins and they make the Semi's (to hopefully repeat for Gold!). CNBC if you're in the states.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Nobody watching the best sport... curling?

It's USA v. Denmark right now, USA wins and they made the Semi's (to hopefully repeat for Gold!). CNBC if you're in the states.
Every time i watch the Japanese women's team they lose, until last night when they beat the us, but still... I try to avoid watching lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is ice hockey amateur at the Olympics? Or is it only for selected countries? I bet Roc just pay them through other means and train them to pro standards.. and dope em
THis year it's NHL castoffs not in the league anymore, amatuers and semi-pro kinds of players.

NHL and players couldnt figure out a way due to scheduling, covid precautions and whatever other reason. 2018 was the same as no NHL players as the league and Olympics couldnt agree on travel and insurance costs.

But before that, I think NHL players were allowed since 1998.

No fans give a shit without NHL players.

Last edited:

Darchaos

Putin seems to be trying to paint hinself as Russia's ticket into the global game.. without the ex-kgb badass skirting the rules and playing chicken Russia can't succeed... I think it's his strategy to keep in power, connect hinself directly with the Russian concept of the masterful man... So yeah his brazen doping fits nicely into it... He used to be based on East Berlin from memory, and the East Germans were colossal dopers..
I wish this olympic wouldent have happened at all couse of all the shit China does. And i hope Russia will be banned frome all sports from now on, not just be alowed to represent theyre contry as ROC. With the world Championship in Soccer in Quatar i say, nope, stay home dont go there. Its time to stop the corruption and cheating in sports.

Darchaos

O crap, i see where this thread is going with posts like mine.....down the drain! Sorry for that Mods! Sports and gaming is fantastic, that i can say and stand for anyway:)

Top Bottom