• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout 2048 (PSVita) - Screens, Interview and Previews

Empty

interview with studio liverpool game director from the playstation blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZPsvAmS1D4&feature=player_embedded

talks about the direction of the game aesthetically and design wise. prequel with racing on the future streets and wider tracks to allow a greater emphasis on weapons.

SolidSnakex said:

talks about the online features. such as an online campaign where each player has a mission objective in the individual online games (like finish in the top half), the results of which are tied into a larger progression.

IonicSnake said:

offscreen footage with voiceover. says 10 new tracks and shows a wipeout hd track in there too.

other features mentioned in that video

Bad_Boy said:
-20 new ships
-new game modes & weapons
-front facing camera (like burnout paradise)
-augmented reality museum / ship gallery
-8 player online/local
-cross platform play

front facing camera means that it takes a picture of the winner after the race and shows it to the losers.

optional tilt and touch control schemes confirmed
WipEout 2048 felt a bit more forgiving than its famously tough predecessors, and let you choose between three control systems, one of which used the tilt sensor for turning (the sensitivity of which was spot-on) and the rear touch pad to accelerate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/jun/02/sony-ngp-hands-on-back-in-game

also says that it's an NGP/PSVita/PSP2 launch game in there

cross platform play confirmed

A PlayStation 3 was set up with the console version of the game, and the ability to race against people on the PlayStation 3 with the NGP was shown off to the press. It's a neat feature, and using the portable version to compete on the PlayStation Network with people playing on the PlayStation 3 is cool.

note: console version means wipeout hd/fury not a ps3 version of 2048 and this modeis for the old wipeout hd/fury tracks included in the psvita game only, not the new tracks made specially for the game.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/hands-on-with-sonys-ngp-the-system-the-games-the-size.ars

30fps confirmed

The fidelity and sparkle that's ensured wipEout HD is still a visual standout in the PlayStation 3 library is in evidence here. Texture models are crisp and defined and they're maintained to a distant horizon, while depth of field and dynamic lighting bring 2048 in line with its console sister. Indeed, the only area where 2048 takes a hit is in its frame rate, which sees HD's 60 fps halved.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-wipeout-2048-preview?page=2

however there is a smidgen of hope

gofreak said:
NowGamer mentions in their hardware preview that while the build they played was 30fps, they were told the final game should look better and 'potentially' run at a faster framerate.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1371/ngp-hands-on-hardware-analysis?o=0#listing

some more indepth writeups

eurogamer preview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-wipeout-2048-preview
ign preview
http://psp.ign.com/articles/117/1172093p1.html

screens from kotaku (different to the bigger ones in the other thread)

xlarge_108_wipeout.jpg

xlarge_12_wipeout.jpg

xlarge_110_wipeout.jpg

xlarge_39_wipeout.jpg

xlarge_08_wipeout.jpg

Nice. Gives me the urge to bust out my Wipeout PSP game when I get home.

Maybe I'll buy Pulse once the dust settles on the PSP storefront.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Most important piece of information (from EG):

2048's championship will climax with a race at Altima VII itself, the game's ending coming at the very moment that the series began.

UNCONTROLLABLE AG BONER.

Angry Fork

................ @ 30fps

Would rather take a hit on the graphics than framerate for a game like Wipeout, what were they thinking? =(

Angry Fork said:
................ @ 30fps

Would rather take a hit on the graphics than framerate for a game like Wipeout, what were they thinking? =(
indeed, at that resolution I am sure they can cut a few corners here and there to make it 60 fps, that's part of the allure of this game WTF!

Rich!

Was interested in this until I read 30fps.

Not buying anymore. I'll hope for a F-Zero on the 3DS - they've never let me down on the FPS side of things.

I'm not as concerned about 60fps in a handheld racing game any more. After playing Ridge Racer 3DS, as long as it has something graphically impressive to still wow me over, I don't mind. It is going to play the same anyway.

Clunker

Solid_Rain said:
Disappointed at the fps, did the psp versions run at 60?
It does, but only on CFW, where it goddamned screams at 60FPS. It's glorious.

Big, big disappointment at this running only at 30. I'm not normally an FPS whore, but in racers and fighting games, it's 60 or bust. :(

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Curufinwe said:
Then I'm not going to get too upset since I loved all six Wipeout games that I played on the PS1 and PSP.
Yeah. I can understand the viewpoint of people who will absolutely refuse to play a racer unless it's 60FPS, but they miss out on a hell of a lot of racers.

Empty

Peru said:
Hope he's just talking PR mumbo about the increased focus on weapons and fightin'

it could be as he talks in the same bit about wider tracks being part of that, but looking at the screens they don't seem much wider, they just look like typical wipeout track designs outside of the changed visual direction. that said i could just be taking what i want out of the limited evidence, i don't want wider tracks and a bigger emphasis on weaponry.

I don't see why it's an issue as long as it's a stable 30 FPS. I just hope this doesn't mean that Sony's underclocked the processor like they did with PSP.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
-10 new tracks
-20 new ships
-new game modes & weapons
-front facing camera (like burnout paradise)
-augmented reality museum / ship gallery
-8 player online/local
-cross platform play

30fps doesnt look too bad in the video (then again i guess the video is playing at 24?), im still sold for a launch title.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Sold. The PSP2 is looking awesome. Bring it on!

Himself

I'm curious about the new game modes. Wipeout is my favorite racing series ever, but I'd love to see it pushed to the next level somehow. Not sure if this is it.

jett

D-Member
The footage was really impressive, seems they straight ported the HD engine unto this thing. 30fps makes baby jesus cry tho.

Vorg

Banned
Ugh.. I hate that you're racing in actual tarmac roads. WtF dude. Gimme my metallic roads with gritty backgounds...

Deadstar

What do they mean when they say the "console" version of the game? If you buy it for the Vita do you get it for PS3 as well?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I could never get into Wipeout PSP because it was 30fps versus Ridge Racer's 60.

Not again, ugh.

Danielsan

Deadstar said:
What do they mean when they say the "console" version of the game? If you buy it for the Vita do you get it for PS3 as well?
I really hope they release a new Wipeout 2048 expansion to Wipeout HD. I'd totally buy it.

Oppo

The PSP Wipeouts did run at 60FPS on the Zone tracks, but 30 otherwise.

As usual this Wipeout is the thing that will probably get me to buy the system. I will always go where Wipeout goes.

Assuming PSVita doesn't launch until the holidays, that still leaves a few months to reach 60 FPS. In any case, I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the end.

Top Bottom