• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipeOut HD - new screens (wow!)

kenta

Has no PEINS
SolidSnakex said:
Have you actually played GT5P? Because that shit you just said is ridiculous.
It's all subjective which is why this is such a sensitive topic. What is game-breakingly distracting to me might not be an issue to you, add to that the fact that we're talking about a very beloved game franchise and it leads to comments like the ones that have been posted (yours included). I love GT myself which is why these issues hurt me more than they hurt you :p

I haven't played the full game, no, I've just followed TTP's videos and images since I trust his sensitive eyes and there's no denying he's speaking the truth.

kenta said:
It's all subjective which is why this is such a sensitive topic. What is game-breakingly distracting to me might not be an issue to you, add to that the fact that we're talking about a very beloved game franchise and it leads to comments like the ones that have been posted (yours included). I love GT myself which is why these issues hurt me more than they hurt you :p

I haven't played the full game, no, I've just followed TTP's videos and images since I trust his sensitive eyes and there's no denying he's speaking the truth.
\
Dd you compare his shots to other ones? GT5P looks like an upscaled 480i game on his screes, you can't even read the logos, it's the cleanest and smoothest racing game out there on my set. IQ kills F2 and is better than PGR4 and MotorStorm.

kenta said:

Its the fact that you and TTP are honestly trying to put this game on the same visual level as GT5P. The game is rather simple from a technical stand point so it should have a super clean image quality because its nowhere near as demanding on the PS3 as GT5P is.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Now wait just a second.

TTP, where are your arguments about GT5P? I want to read em without derailing this topic.

Guys get this GT5 talk out of here. We can only talk about racing games that look great WHILE racing and have actual AI + sense of speed in this thread.

Kabuki Waq said:
Guys get this GT5 talk out of here. We can only talk about racing games that look great WHILE racing and have actual AI + sense of speed in this thread.
So wait, while asking us to stop derailing you trolled the game that this topic isn't about. Paradox man, back to drawing boards.

mintylurb

SolidSnakex said:
Have you actually played GT5P? Because that shit you just said is ridiculous.
I'm sure he has at least played the demo version.

Oh yeah, WipeOut HD looks good but if it has achievements, awsome trueskill ranking system, in-game xmb, custom sound track support and
only on xbox360 logo
this game could the bestest racer ever!!

Durante

If they pull off the IQ (in terms of texture resolution/filtering/AA) of these shots on PS3 at 1080p/60fps then I'll eat my hat. Heck, I'll eat the hats of all GAF members. That's PC territory, it's not going to happen. (Which also renders the GT5 comparison rather pointless -- if it weren't already because of innumerable other reasons)

3phemeral

notchopit.jpg

kenta

Has no PEINS
SolidSnakex said:
Its the fact that you and TTP are honestly trying to put this game on the same visual level as GT5P. The game is rather simple from a technical stand point so it should have a super clean image quality because its nowhere near as demanding on the PS3 as GT5P is.
You overestimate how much I give a crap about technical standpoints: I don't give a crap about technical standpoints. When I'm playing a game and I see avoidable visual issues I don't try to make excuses for the developers, it's just something that's distracting and largely unacceptable to me. This game is gorgeous with near-perfect IQ regardless of the aircraft polygon count, and they're managing to escape issues that plague way more games than just GT5P. That's what I (and presumably TTP but I don't speak for him since I don't know him) find so impressive

Enough of this crap in this thread, though, let people continue to jizz over the screens without being caught off guard by a tangential debate. If you want to continue you can feel free to PM me

Durante said:
If they pull off the IQ (in terms of texture resolution/filtering/AA) of these shots on PS3 at 1080p/60fps then I'll eat my hat. Heck, I'll eat the hats of all GAF members.

All we've seen is cam footage so far but... http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23982.html

I don't think anyone is going to be complaining about the IQ.

Except maybe TTP. ;)

kenta said:
This game is gorgeous with near-perfect IQ regardless of the aircraft polygon count

Erm, IQ is definitely not regardless of poly counts. Or numerous other factors for that matter. This comparison is just ridiculous.

FirewalkR

Holy crap! This (at this quality) came out of nowhere! I'd heard of this but didn't care for it, until the graphics whore in me woke up a few minutes ago, saw this and said: "You'll get this day 1 bitch!!!!!11!!!day1!!!"

kenta

Has no PEINS
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Erm, IQ is definitely not regardless of poly counts. Or numerous other factors for that matter. This comparison is just ridiculous.
If one is sacrificed for the other then yeah they're related, and his statement seemed to imply something like "the cars are so detailed and it's a lot of work for the PS3 so those issues are okay" which is why I said what I did

Taking it to PMs as of.... now :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
If I win the lottery tomorrow I am buying a PS3 and a huge Bravia. If I don't... then at least I will get a PS3 soon. My contribution? This game looks godly.

WTF!!!
THAT looks INSANE!!!
It seems like they've ditched the overly cartoony look of the PSP titles and are going for a grittier 2097/original wipeout look. :bow
No release date yet is disappointing to the mAx though!!
I was expecting January and in anticipation topped up my PSN account with $100 cash monies.
:(

DEAR SONY;

Demo please.

Thanks.

FightyF

Banned
I kinda am hoping for custom soundtrack support, even if it has its own soundtrack.

Hmm...I wonder if the new G.A.M.E. theme for the next release should be, "Make a song befitting of the WipeOut universe for WipeOutHD"? If it's coming out 1st quarter next year, it would be perfect timing...

Start

Damn this looks hot. The only thing that could really make it for me is if they added an extra bit of grittyness to it. They use weapons right? Everything post 2097 (XL) has looked to clean.

Kosma

Banned
I can't help but think that this won't be just a stop gap game. Looks so good, and from what I've played it's beyond awesome too.

Sebb

http://www.playfrance.com/news-ps3-wipeout-hd-images-infos-697483.html

Interview in English :

Questions for SCE Studio Liverpool
WipEout®HD

Interviewee: Colin Berry – Lead Designer

About the team

1. How many people do you have working on WipEout HD?

We started with a very small team in spring 2007 of around 6 people. We are now up to around 25 or 30 to ensure the final code delivers all the great media feedback we’ve had so far following E3 and the Leipzig Games Convention.

2. Is there anyone who’s worked on all the WipEout games since the start of the franchise?

There are a couple of people yes, an Artist (Darren Douglas) and a Producer (Paul Tweedle) who started out by QA’ing the first WipEout!

3. What do you think makes the WipEout team so special?

There is a good team spirit; we all help each other out as much as possible. Also there are lots of people on the team who are fans of the series so there is a high level of care and attention to detail and it helps having talented designers, artists and coders on the game.

4. What was the one thing the team wanted to change/or introduce most for WipEout HD?

We wanted to provide a good solid online experience for a television based WipEout game. We see online play as a big feature in HD. Also 60 frames per second full 1080p was a day one priority. We also wanted to make it a great addition to PLAYSTATION Store by offering it as a downloadable title.

About WipEout HD

1. How long has it taken to make WipEout a full HD game for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™)?

We started work on the artwork around about February 2007 and the code around April, so just under a year.

2. Would it be fair to consider HD as a port? Apart from 1080p visuals and 60 frames per second animations, what makes it different to Pure and Pulse?

Firstly people should not underestimate the changes that 60 frames per second and 1080p visuals make to the game. Sure the environments are taken from the PSP versions initially but so much work has gone into hi-resing them up, every building model, and every texture. The game looks so much richer. All the ships are new hi-res models with hi-res texturing and improved lighting too, so the visual changes are dramatically enhanced. The game also has a sleeker new HD front end, the handling model has been refined to fit the Sixaxis controller also the collision system has been improved. Then of course there is online multiplayer which fair enough appears in WipEout Pulse but it is great fun. Playing WipEout against other people on a big TV, it is a lot of fun. In some terms its easy to say ‘it is a port’ but that is something of a disservice, the game has had an overhaul and a freshen up in many little ways which combined give it a strong identity and make it a solid game in its own right. We certainly don’t regard it as a port. Then of course there is downloadable content, which depending on what we settle on, can further push the WipEout HD experience. We are hoping the initial release of HD will be a starting point. We really feel that WipEout HD will be a great addition to PLAYSTATION Store.

3. Do you think full HD has brought about a big change in the game?

I am proud of Pure and Pulse and what we have achieved with them, and WipEout Pulse is a damn good PSP game and experience, it is featured packed and will not disappoint. HD though offers something different, it offers the WipEout experience on a big screen for the first time in a long time, it looks awesome, it plays nice and feels smooth. It is a different experience for people who have maybe forgotten what WipEout on a big screen is like. And of course, 1080p visuals and 60 frames-per-second clearly combined with online play clearly make a big difference on a TV screen.

4. Tell us a bit about the game – is it for established fans or new owners of PS3?

Hopefully WipEout HD will satisfy the core WipEout fans and also be accessible to people who maybe have not played any of the series before. WipEout has always been seen as a hard game, a gamers’ game and that is something we have to cater for and so we have to have a blisteringly frightening speed class within the game and hard competitive AI opponents. But we also want to attract new players and appeal to people who maybe have not tried a futuristic racing game before who are used to their racing games involving cars. As such we have introduced 3 difficulty levels to accompany the 4 speed classes in the game, thus people can start at a beginners’ level if they are new to the game, or start straight off on the hard difficulty if they are a long time fan of the series.

5. Can you tell us about some of the additional downloadable content that’s going to be available?

We are still deciding exactly what downloadable content we will release for HD, but hopefully we will be releasing additional tracks which could include a mixture of old tracks and brand new ones. Additional ships and music are also on the list of downloadable content we hope to release. We are also looking into releasing an extra game mode or two via downloadable content, but the exact extent and feasibility of this, we are still looking into. So for the time being, nothing concrete, but plenty of options are available to us.

6. WipEout is renowned for its music – can you tell us about what’s in store for HD?

The initial release of HD will contain 9 music tracks from WipEout Pulse, including tracks from Kraftwerk, Mason, DJ Fresh and Stanton Warriors. All the music is going to be mixed in 5.1 surround as are the sound effects.

7. You can use the SIXAXIS™ controller – where will you use it because we think steering at 100s of mph will be pretty difficult?

We are currently looking into this, we have a few ideas but we also share the concern of how useful full Sixaxis motion control will be at the highest speeds. There are however several ways we are looking into implementing it, it could end up linked into the weapon functionality or the ship pitch control it doesn’t necessarily have to link to the direct steering control of the ship.

8. Are you satisfied with the levels of online gameplay for the HD version?

As a designer I am never satisfied with anything I always want more, more features, more time, more everything concerning each and every aspect of the game. We are still working hard on the online side of WipEout HD and it is progressing well. The online gameplay is good and due to the plug-in modular system of design and code we can expand the feature set of the game through downloads, meaning that the initial online experience on launch can be added to over time to further enrich the experience.

9. After such a distinguished history, where does a franchise like WipEout go from here?

For the time being we are continuing to work hard on WipEout HD and supporting it through additional content. Beyond that, there is not much more to add at the moment, although on a personal level I think online functionality should play a large part in as many games as possible these days where feasible.
Miscellaneous

1. Who holds the fastest lap record on any track in the office?

That is most likely to be Karl Jones, one of the designers. He is pretty much established as the best player, although one of the programmers, Martin Linklater would argue otherwise, and recently I have been close to catching up too 

2. If you could add one more weapon to the game, what would it be?

Well after Pure, we wanted the cannon back and so we added it. I’m not sure there is one off the top of my head. The weapons are integral to the game and the balance of the game and we consider them heavily. I guess in future I’d like us to maybe look at some sort of battering-ram / snow plough type effect but this would more likely be additional functionality for the Auto-Pilot as opposed a new weapon.

3. Is there a track you’ve always wanted to have on a WipEout game that you haven’t been able to get?

I guess that is music track…. We have tended to be very lucky with music in that we tend to get the people we want. People we have approached have been keen to provide us with work. Getting Kraftwerk was especially pleasing based on their history and body of work. From a purely personal point of view, there is a track on the Spawn soundtrack called No Remorse, it is Slayer featuring Atari Teenage Riot. I think a remix of that would be great, but it is purely my personal choice.

Artworks :

http://images.playfrance.com/5/4789/artwork/zoom/8170.jpg
http://images.playfrance.com/5/4789/artwork/zoom/2287.jpg

Kolgar

This... exceeded my expectations.

Been a Wipeout fan since the beginning, and I'll definitely be on board for this.

and a Producer (Paul Tweedle) who started out by QA’ing the first WipEout!

This explains the cut back feature list, overly ambitious inexperienced (in the role) producer. Honest mistake.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Ok, besides my lazyness and being some what buzzed... I'm sure this is said somewhere else, but is this game based off of? If its wipeout pure, i'd be in heaven, damn i loved that game.. anyone? :D

Kittonwy

Banned
acr0nym said:
Ok, besides my lazyness and being some what buzzed... I'm sure this is said somewhere else, but is this game based off of? If its wipeout pure, i'd be in heaven, damn i loved that game.. anyone? :D

It has some maps from pure and some from pulse.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Kittonwy said:
It has some maps from pure and some from pulse.

Awesome, thank you... Now for me to get my hands on a ps3.. I've been very tempted to re-buy a psp but think this just saved me the trouble!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Visualante said:
and a Producer (Paul Tweedle) who started out by QA’ing the first WipEout!
This explains the cut back feature list, overly ambitious inexperienced (in the role) producer. Honest mistake.

I really hope you're taking the piss. If not, you're a twat.

RiverBed

Banned
they have to darken the explosions and weapon FX as well or it would look painfully out of place. I want to see pics of that just to make my self feel much better.

fantastic pics, by the way. I really didn't expect the PSN holder to be this good! this could've pass as the next gen Wipeout.

Top Bottom