• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

If it didn't sell well it's a real shame as the game is amazing.

Not only that but it's my go to showcase for 4k gaming. It's absolutely stunning in motion, especially at the higher speed classes.

I have to confess, I'm not really feeling the 2048 game mode.

The single lap races are pointless. I'm not a fan of the different classes of ship. I don't understand why they replaced Venom/Flash/etc with C/B/A. I find the tracks a little overly fussy; they lack the simplicity of HD's tracks. No Icarus.

I just wish there was a way in racebox to use HD ships on 2048 circuits.

After playing this since launch (with my wife), we fired up Mario Kart 8 for the first time in a few months and... yeah... can't really play that game anymore.

btkadams

If it didn't sell well it's a real shame as the game is amazing.

Not only that but it's my go to showcase for 4k gaming. It's absolutely stunning in motion, especially at the higher speed classes.
Yep! It’s an amazing game, series, etc. I just got a 4k tv last weekend and I fell in love with this again. I really hope we see another WipEout game down the road.

pswii60

Finally got this today. Holy fucking shit, it's amazing. Currently playing 2048 and it looks mind-blowing, so silky smooth. And the soundtrack, the fucking soundtrack.

Why didn't I pick this up sooner? It's what I've been missing. Everyone should buy this is the best remasters of the the best collection of the best futuristic racers. Insane value.

Oemenia

Banned
Quick question. I loved both Wipeout 2097 and 3 on the PSone but I didn't enjoy Wipeout HD on PS3 very much. The PSone games had tracks that were much more complicated in their design whereas the PSP/PS3 tracks felt like they had more window dressing but simpler routes. I also feel that the art direction in Wipeout 3 is far superior to the newer games.

With that in mind, how does Wipeout 2048 compare?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Quick question. I loved both Wipeout 2097 and 3 on the PSone but I didn't enjoy Wipeout HD on PS3 very much. The PSone games had tracks that were much more complicated in their design whereas the PSP/PS3 tracks felt like they had more window dressing but simpler routes. I also feel that the art direction in Wipeout 3 is far superior to the newer games.

Wipeout 2048 feels much more in line with PS1 era track design. Tracks have many alternate routes and shortcuts. Its not just the layout either, but the ART DESIGN fits a little more in with the dark, dense city look too.

That being said, gameplay-wise 2048 feels like a successor to HD. Your ships would bounce around in the PS1 games but in 2048 its more like HD where you're trying to control your turns with airbrakes at sharp speeds and do barrel rolls for more speed. Has zone mode too.

It feels very different from HD. Personally I prefer HD and Fury. 2048 has very wide tracks that feel gimmicky (this one is all barrel rolls! This one is a straight line of boost pads!), against the AI it is easier as you can afford to take risks without slamming into walls. 2048 has green (defensive) and red (offensive) weapon pads, that means you can go for boosts and shields while the AI generally won't go all out, giving you the advantage. The wider tracks tend to split which sometimes introduces wall hazards in the middle of the track, IMO that is awful and doesn't gel with Wipeout gameplay very well, plus the AI is bad at handling it.

A lot of people seem to like it though! And it's true that it plays very differently. Maybe it's more fun online, should be more challenging at least.

In PS3 Wipeout HD, were we able to absorb autopilot whilst it was active? I don't recall being able to. It's a brilliant change in Collection if so.

Tried to get some online play a few days ago and there was literally no games available in the entire US...had to change it to UK and there were only 2 games available.

Pretty surprising, but needless to say I guess this game didn't sell too hot :/

Oemenia

Banned
So far really liking Wipeout 2048, way more than HD and Fury. I still prefer the racing style of Wipeout XL/3 but the nice wide tracks are really cool which also remind me of Wipeout Fusion.

But damn, the game is punishing but it feels very rewarding when you get that 1st place. Maybe I played the HD games wrong but I do remember a lot of crashing on the sides which made the races feel like they were based on luck. What tips can you guys give to try and get better with the game's mechanics?
Tried to get some online play a few days ago and there was literally no games available in the entire US...had to change it to UK and there were only 2 games available.

Pretty surprising, but needless to say I guess this game didn't sell too hot :/
Apparently the franchise was never a big seller. I live in the UK but that was one of those games along with Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Crash and FF that defined that era of gaming.

88random

Finally got the game, after all those limited edition shenanigans.

Anyway, is there any way to turn off vibration? I can't find it in the options.

Blue Lou

This game was featured on BBC's Eastenders this week. Pretty rare because they can't do product placement due to BBC rules.

https://streamable.com/a1fa5

SNR8jrs.gif

Players 2 and 4.

This game was featured on BBC's Eastenders this week. Pretty rare because they can't do product placement due to BBC rules.

https://streamable.com/a1fa5

SNR8jrs.gif

Players 2 and 4.

Hah, and the actor on the left (don't know his name) was the star of the GTA2 intro many years ago. I always roll my eyes at gaming scenes on TV because they're usually mashin buttons like they're playing track and field, regardless of which game is shown.

ajim

This game made me remember just how much I want a pure Wipeout racing game or split modes separate to how it goes now with the time trials, battles etc.

:(

Flousn

I have always had a "soft spot" for the idea and aesthetics of future racing games, but never really got into them. I think that´s because i was too young for the genre during its peak and found the games too hard to get good at or to really enjoy them.
I had the original Playstation and remember owning a Wipeout game, but found it too frustrating to carry on. The same goes for F-Zero GX, which i found incredibly fascinating but almost unplayable at 13 (at that age, i was quite far away from an "invest time to master a game" mentality - same goes for fighting games).

Well, last week i finally bought the Omega Collection and i am totally loving everything about it - maybe also because i have never played a game in the collection and everything feels totally fresh to me. I am making my way through the HD-Campaign on the skilled-difficulty, earning every dolg medal up to the last event and plan on doing everything again on expert after finishing the other 2 campaigns. I think the genre finally clicked with me and i enjoy learning the tracks and improving my pilotng skills :)

Also, the Soundtrack is fantastic, just going through zone-mode and getting immersed in the aesthetic and vibe of the game is great. Somehow, it reminds me of those crazy japanese arcade-rhythm-games in the disguise of a racing game. Fantastic :)

Does anyone know how the game sold?

Sub_Level

Been playing this since getting my PS4 this week. So rusty! And I still despise Zone Battle mode. Urgh

Zone Battle is awkward. It doesn't do what it set out to do well. But I still prefer it to Elimination in both 2048 and Fury because at least Zone Battle can go by REALLY quick.

Flousn

On Topic of Future racing games, while i think Wipeout will keep me entertained for quite a while, does anyone have experiences with Redout or Fast Racing NEO (RMX) respectively? Are they good? Fast Racing for the Wii U is 10 € in my local retail store and i think about pulling the trigger before the prices go up again.

Glad to have another person getting into WipEout :) I've been eyeing off Redout for some time, going to wait till the PS4 version goes on sale. Have heard mixed reviews, so dampening my expectations. WipEout Omega keeps me coming back every few days just to bust out some Elite AI Phantom races to get the blood pumping!

Have we had any developments on that patch that was meant to drop with the one new song? Seems like that was an age ago...

Sub_Level

Flousn its too bad you didn't play Wipeout on PS3. You could import your own music into the game and the tracks would actually dynamically light up to it in Zone mode.

Thats the only real negative thing about this glorious collection.

Flousn

Flousn its too bad you didn't play Wipeout on PS3. You could import your own music into the game and the tracks would actually dynamically light up to it in Zone mode.

Thats the only real negative thing about this glorious collection.

I never owned a PS3, sadly.

zooL

Played with a friend and got all Elite gold medals in HD. Man, i just wish the 3D mode from the PS3 version had made it. It would just rule to see it on my OLED. :(

dtcm83

Played with a friend and got all Elite gold medals in HD. Man, i just wish the 3D mode from the PS3 version had made it. It would just rule to see it on my OLED. :(

Yeah, Omega Collection is amazing, but including 3d would have been mind blowing and I was really hoping they'd bring that over from the PS3 version. I fired up the PS3 version the other day for comparison, turned on the 3d mode, and was still blown away. Just looks so good for this type of game.

Oemenia

Banned
So been playing this game for a few weeks and boy does this game have a learning curve. I'm onto the final racing event of the main HD game and it was yet another big step up. I was hoping someone can give me some tips.

1. Craft Stability - Going out of turns can sometimes make your ship difficult to regain control of, what is the best way to do this? Simply turning the opposite direction, using the opposite direction air-brake or a bit of both? Similarly when should I use the side-step manoeuvre. Speaking of which...

2. Side-stepping - Honestly I really can't seem to get the hang of this. For starters its a pain to even activate if you are already air-breaking in that direction, what am I doing wrong here? Also just when is it meant to be used when trying to follow your racing line?

3. Lastly, should you ever be letting go of the thrust?

On Topic of Future racing games, while i think Wipeout will keep me entertained for quite a while, does anyone have experiences with Redout or Fast Racing NEO (RMX) respectively? Are they good? Fast Racing for the Wii U is 10 € in my local retail store and i think about pulling the trigger before the prices go up again.

LTTP but I didn't like Fast Racing NEO that much. A lot of that game is about throwing bullshit obstacles in your path and letting you run into them because lol. The AI is also stupidly hard on the later levels and there's a lot of rubberbanding. Out of all the Wipeout pretenders I've played (which doesn't include Redout yet), Formula Fusion would be my pick for the game that feels the most like a Wipeout game. It's PC-only, though, and the last time I played it, it was rather unpolished--framerate issues galore with that one. Also not necessarily my favourite looking game, despite the work of TDR (which is arguably not at all the same as the TDR that worked on the original Wipeout games).

Shin-Ra

2. Side-stepping - Honestly I really can't seem to get the hang of this. For starters its a pain to even activate if you are already air-breaking in that direction, what am I doing wrong here? Also just when is it meant to be used when trying to follow your racing line?
Are you using L2 & R2 for airbrakes or L1 & R1?

The latter setup makes airbraking and side-shifting more responsive.

88random

So been playing this game for a few weeks and boy does this game have a learning curve. I'm onto the final racing event of the main HD game and it was yet another big step up. I was hoping someone can give me some tips.

1. Craft Stability - Going out of turns can sometimes make your ship difficult to regain control of, what is the best way to do this? Simply turning the opposite direction, using the opposite direction air-brake or a bit of both? Similarly when should I use the side-step manoeuvre. Speaking of which...

3. Lastly, should you ever be letting go of the thrust?

1. I guess a little bit of both, but I use air-brake more. But I rarely have to do that because of...

2. Side-shifting. I use it to make tighter entries or exits out of corners. When you use air brake, you lose speed. When you use side-shifting, you don't, and it actually speeds you up a little in the direction you side shifted. It might feel inconsequential, but over a whole lap or in a time trial, you can shave a few tenths of a second, and that's a lot in Wipeout.
I have a video where I got a top 10 time in which I used a lot of shide-shifting, I'll upload it when I get home

3. Usually not, especially if you don't drive Piranha. Only if you know you'll mess up an entry into a very tight corner, like the one on Chenghou Project or Rockway Stadium.

For those last events, Feisar is your best bet, especially if you still haven't fully mastered controls. And yeah, swich air brakes to R1/L1 if you haven't yet.

Been playing a lot of HD and Fury, but each time I try to go into the 2048 campaign, I just back out again. Something just doesn't click with me and 2048.

Top Bottom