• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WIRED] Exclusive with Mark Cerny, PS5 specs detailed

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Mark Cerny interview here:

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

• 8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2 based on third generation Ryzen.
  • Ray-tracing support with custom AMD Navi GPU.
  • Custom AMD unit for 3D Audio, also aided by ray-tracing, a big upgrade.
  • Extremely fast high-end custom SSD storage faster than any solution currently available for PC:
    Spider-Man load times on PS4 Pro: 15 seconds → 0.8 seconds on next-gen PlayStation.
  • Technically supports 8K but Cerny demoed Spider-Man load speed improvements on a 4K screen.
  • New Virtual Reality platform strongly hinted at but also supports current PSVR (meaning millions of VR users 'day one').
  • Death Stranding might be a cross-gen title (speculation in article based on Cerny reply).
  • Physical Media.
  • Backwards Compatible with at least PS4.
  • Four years in development so far.
If history is any guide, it will eventually be dubbed the PlayStation 5. For now, Cerny responds to that question—and many others—with an enigmatic smile. The “next-gen console,“ as he refers to it repeatedly, won’t be landing in stores anytime in 2019. A number of studios have been working with it, though, and Sony recently accelerated its deployment of devkits so that game creators will have the time they need to adjust to its capabilities.

PlayStation’s next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into $10,000 high-end processors, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet

Edit to add this regarding price:

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
MARK CERNY WOULD like to get one thing out of the way right now: The videogame console that Sony has spent the past four years building is no mere upgrade.

4 years from beginning till launch I'm guessing in the above sentence/quote, which would support what I've expected for a while now - it all started with Masayasu Ito moving back to engineering.

DEPWDdjWsAAKLwW.jpg

Zen fucking 2!! I was right! and good to know it's custom Navi <3

Last edited:

Korzonek

Neo Member
Where can i preorder it. Please be march 2020 lunch. TLOU2 with raytracing is gonna blow my mind. Those sony games already look next gen. When you put it on PS 5 and ad some ray tracing and all the stuff Mark said it is real gamechanger.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned

Truly great find and I'm happy that Sony is more transparent in this regard by sending out Tweets.
The months from here on out might be a lot more interesting or so I hope.

I imagine SONY wanted to make the announcement first (I expect Microsoft to reveal their next gen console or info at E3).
If RuthenicCookie is spot on with what he said before (which I think was probably a controlled leak) then Sony might tease a bit more around E3.
Strategically it would make sense also as they probably anticipated/predicted Microsoft would do some kind of reveal at this year's E3 and want to take the wind out of their sail.
Exciting times :)

Last edited:

Dunki

It is sad that Sony went with the press instead of an actual reveal like with the PS4. giving the crossplay disaster the censorship issues right now and now this. This seems they are going back to the arrogant Sony a la Ps3... Pretty Disappointing

Tesseract

Banned
i should think it will be a disappointment, unless the cpu is doing unexpected things

i'd be very surprised if it doesn't have an ssd, prices have bottomed out and in many ways tipped beyond platters

Last edited:

Dunki

Remember the PS4 Reveal? No one knew it before it was exciting because all were on the same level. This is giving "journalists" some priority which they do not deserve. And all these other issues with Sony right now is also not shining a good light on them.

This is such a fucking Sony way of doing this. Microsoft has had the press frothing at the mouth for months about next xbox, streaming, gamepass, backwards compatibility, Arrogant Sony... And then Sony sends out Cerny, on a random as fuck Tuesday in April, to have a casual fireside chat with Wired where he spills all the PS5 beans.

Never change Sony, never change.

TLZ

Banned
Feck. So many awesome confirmations. Those rumors were right after all. Super speed SSD shiat.

I think this is the small reveal that was supposed to happen in Q2.

Handy Fake

This is such a fucking Sony way of doing this. Microsoft has had the press frothing at the mouth for months about next xbox, streaming, gamepass, backwards compatibility, Arrogant Sony... And then Sony sends out Cerny, on a random as fuck Tuesday in April, to have a casual fireside chat with Wired where he spills all the PS5 beans.

CreativeSaltyHookersealion-size_restricted.gif

What's an SSD and what does it do?

Makes it sting when you pee.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I wonder if 8 cores Zen2 would be enough to brute force ps3 emulation, without per game optimizations?
How SIMD able is Zen2 expected to be?

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Sounds like they were starting to put out a lot of dev kits and they wanted to get ahead of potential leaks and tell the story themselves.

SSD is definitely nice. Though I wonder how they will go beyond 1TB for the launch consoles(or maybe they'll do $499 1TB $599 2TB?)

I also truly question how effective the ray-tracing capabilities will be on these consoles given where AMD is with it and the current state of ray-tracing in general.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nice, always good to hear from Cerny. Nothing in there stands out as particularly outrageous.

All I wanna know is if we can finally have a unified digital library. Let me have a 4TB box with every Playstation game I've ever bought digitally on it. I can even live with PS3 stuff being streamed at this point if the architecture makes it shitty to emulate properly.

DonF

And so it begins.
I like EVERYTHING Cerny is saying in this. I can deal with 2020, I always expected that.

SSD for way shorter load times. Zen 2, Navi. I'll probably be there day fucking one.

Geki-D

Banned

As I was reading I thought this had to be fake, it's just so random. But nope.

That SSD "faster than the fastest PC SSDs" better be at least 1TB and won't be too expensive, because that already smells like something way too expensive for a 400 USD box. I also wonder how this is going to work out with external drives when they optimize their games around an SSD.

But I can already see it: proprietary external SSDs with a special connector for ridiculous amounts of money.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There's a lot to be excited about from this one article alone. The Spider-Man demonstration sounds impressive, the casual backwards compatibility confirmation, the ray tracing support, the advanced audio, 8K display support, the built-in SSD... It all paints a very optimistic picture.

People just don't understand that it's not just any SSD. They are usually some form of an M2.SSD or a NVMe drive. The hard drive will look like this.

61J0insULpL._SL1500_.jpg

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
"At the moment, Sony won’t cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs."

I call bull shit; I'll believe that when I see it. If it's something proprietary they create, that's going to increase the cost for the console by a phat amount.

Ar¢tos

Sounds like they were starting to put out a lot of dev kits and they wanted to get ahead of potential leaks and tell the story themselves.

SSD is definitely nice. Though I wonder how they will go beyond 1TB for the launch consoles(or maybe they'll do $499 1TB $599 2TB?)

I also truly question how effective the ray-tracing capabilities will be on these consoles given where AMD is with it and the current state of ray-tracing in general.
Don't get your hopes too high... Expect just Ray tracing lite, a little Ray tracing magic dust here and there, nothing ultra exciting.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"Digital Foundry has already begun crunching the numbers on what it expects from PlayStation 5 based on today's report. We'll have that live soon."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-16-sony-reveals-first-playstation-5-details

I can't wait!!!!

So what exactly does this mean?

Gaming will forever be changed! NVMe drives are the newest and best hard drive technology on Earth. Remember playing RDR2 or any RPG game like The Witcher 3 and fast travel takes 20 to 30 seconds? Well Sony just demonstrated that literally in the latest Spiderman game (since it's also backward compatible with the PS4) those same fast travel load times will take 0.5 seconds to 2 seconds MAX for those same games.

It also means LOD will be 500% faster in open world games. One of the reasons it takes a while for games to load bushes, trees, buildings, etc is because some of that data is coming off the slow HDDs that we've had in consoles for years. Now with a NVMe drive pop-ins will never happen again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom