• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WIRED] Exclusive with Mark Cerny, PS5 specs detailed

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
giphy.gif

It's crazy how tech guys are making fun of advancing tech, props to wired for getting the lowdown........

Have always loved when people make fun of tech or just say shit they have no idea what they are talking about.

At least, i ve got some of my expectations covered with cerny s infos.
Here is what i want for ps5 (i ll stick to playstation due to my huge ps4 catalog on my pro) :
1) 4 players local split screen at 1080p each on my 75" 4k tv on most games.
2) silence. My loud pro is really getting on my nerves.
3) fast loading. Enough waiting. Arrg. Seems to be covered.
4) 60 fps enforced by sony. Choppy 30 fps games are a nightmare.
5) open for programming. Make the ps5 as legendary as my a500.
6) built in very good app to replace my popcorn hour.
7) please introduce diversity within ww studios. Enough reskinned clones.
8) compelling launch games such as : a new playdead game, until dawn sequel, einhander 2...

thelastword

Banned
Have always loved when people make fun of tech or just say shit they have no idea what they are talking about.

Yes, absolute malarkey, they were dead serious too.....I guess if you have an audience then you can definitely feed them whatever coolaid you wish too, right or wrong......Just like Colin Moriarty has tried to do all those years....Gamers just need to research their own info and vet their sources properly....

I wonder if they made passing laughs at...

Somehow I doubt it.

Well you would be right, I think that part was eventually edited out by MS...It was too embarassing after people called them out on it...What's worse, it was a dev saying that too....So when people say, hey it's this dev or hey it's this tech guy, listen to him.....Nope, always ask for the receipts or find your receipts.....

As for me, I'm just happy we're on the verge of getting new kit, new generations are always a happy time, no matter how many times people try to impress that certain people are angry......I love tech, new architecture and advancements in the medium, and, I'd love to see these new kits dissected, where we can explore the benefits it will bring to gamers for another 7 years......I think all sides will have a good piece of kit this time around, the onus is on manufuactuers to focus on delivering quality games for their eco-system and stop playing the blame game for any failures they may have had there....

Cleared_Hot

Holy hell that was dumb. Just more proof this overcrowded "gaming" journalist career field is full of people who have little no no actual knowledge of how any of the technology behind the games actually works. They just regurgitate shit they hear others say. Hmmm what other news outlets does that? Oh yeah! The mainstream media.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
I am a massive child who does not have the capacity to discuss this topic. I mean, I even type out maniacal laughing....while laughing manically.
Hahahahahaha!!!!!

This thread is a literal gold mine. It's like the GAF Sony fanboys created this thread thinly veiled as being about Cerny and Sony.... Only for it to actually be about fantasy shitting on MS.

"Sony can spend more money on PS than MS can with Xbox."

Bwahahaha!!!! Hilarious!

"The XBX vapor chamber was overblown."

Rotflmao!! It damn sure was. That's why it didn't sound like a wind tunnel when you turned it on... Like the PS4 and Pro does.

Keep em coming fellas. Your hate for Xbox provides endless entertainment.

Edit: Appears as though a mod got butthurt about my post. Apparently laughing at people's stupidity is against the rules.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Hahahahahaha!!!!!

This thread is a literal gold mine. It's like the GAF Sony fanboys created this thread thinly veiled as being about Cerny and Sony.... Only for it to actually be about fantasy shitting on MS.

Bwahahaha!!!! Hilarious!

Rotflmao!! It damn sure was. That's why it didn't sound like a wind tunnel when you turned it on... Like the PS4 and Pro does.

I'll be frank, both of you on both sides look and sound pathetic when you go this far over plastic boxes. The same arguments every time in every thread. I don't know how you guys do it and never get bored or tired of it.

Foxbat

Banned
When you see posts like these from TLW, you know MS is doing something right.
Not sure why you wouldn't be rather discussing the great news from sony. Everyone should be happy where gaming is at with their respects platforms. No need for these spooked responses.

Yeah, the last couple pages have basically become a diary for TLW. He vents about MS pr. He thinks the XBX cooling solution is "overblown" (lmao). He goes into detail along with a couple of others about the inner workings of Sony and MS financials, and have revealed that Sony actually has more money than MS.

So much salt from TLW in his posts. It's a bit saddening and a little pathetic tbh, but the entertainment offsets it nicely.

sendit

Thought process on how some people here view Sony:

Sony doesn't do any PR....they lose.
Sony does PR....they lose.

This should be an interesting few months. The ball is in Microsoft's court now to give some tid bits on their next box.

Foxbat

Banned
I'll be frank, both of you on both sides look and sound pathetic when you go this far over plastic boxes. The same arguments every time in every thread. I don't know how you guys do it and never get bored or tired of it.

Okay, you be Frank, and I'll be honest.

I get down time at work occasionally, and sometimes spend it looking around GAF. Over the past year, this place has basically become Gamespot System Wars V2.0. So while I might look and sound pathetic to you, I'm ok with that as I don't put much stock into what random posters on GAF think. It's not like I spend all my free time on a gaming forum putting up 1,000+ posts a year or anything. But you do you buddy.

TLZ

Banned
Okay, you be Frank, and I'll be honest.

I get down time at work occasionally, and sometimes spend it looking around GAF. Over the past year, this place has basically become Gamespot System Wars V2.0. So while I might look and sound pathetic to you, I'm ok with that as I don't put much stock into what random posters on GAF think. It's not like I spend all my free time on a gaming forum putting up 1,000+ posts a year or anything. But you do you buddy.
Well with posts like your previous one I quoted, what responses do you expect to receive except more provoking? You guys will keep provoking each other to no end. You're complaining about System Wars, yet you involve yourself in it. It'll never stop until everyone take action step away from it. I like banter, I'm all for it, it's fun, but these System Wars are exhausting and tiring. I never understood this crazy loyalty for a box.

I don't know if this is just a gaming thing really. For example, I can't imagine 2 groups of people getting hostile over whether Maccaz or Burger King is the best. I prefer this, you prefer that, whatever. We make fun of each other from time to time, that's normal. Bit of banter, none taken to heart, all's good. We can still be friends. We don't have to like the same things. I feel like people are constantly shitting on each other here. I don't know what these crazy boxes do to people. If they were kids I'd understand completely. Kids being kids whatever. I just don't get it when grown ups do it. Like what do you gain? Or is it just tribalism, like sports and politics?

nowhat

'Graphics' could also just be the OS menu :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You jest, but that makes sense. Not just the OS, but many games on a Pro run at 2160c or sub-2160p, while still having their UI/HUD rendered at native 2160p. It'd be easier to notice artifacts there (especially with text).

Having said that, I think 8K TVs sound ridiculous, I'm good with 4K for the foreseeable future. But since they're inevitably coming soon-ish, Sony (and probably MS too) will have to support them in some fashion, just to not appear obsolete.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!

Bwahahaha!!!! Hilarious!

Do the maths, Playstation is a huge percentage of Sony revenue whilst Xbox is a drop in the ocean for MS. Playstation is much better funded. There's a reason Xbox hasn't had any AAA exclusives like God of War, Horizon, Spiderman etc funded and instead you get Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3, bargain-basement developments quietly kicked out the development door they were so bad...

The other exclusives they have each year - Forza titles - must also be cheap developments, re-using assets from the previous games each year a bit akin to FIFA!

Shin

Banned
Can probably crunch some numbers to get an estimate in terms of power with the image below, Navi10 because Gonzalo points to that.
It's a mid range card apparently so I wouldn't expect much to be "cut" from it to fit into the APU.

AMD-RX-3080.png

That was fairly interesting.

A big point he brought up that he didn't think was relevant enough to put in the article was the talk with Cerny about why they were skipping E3...

Basically they determined they didn't want to have a PS5 keynote with no console or games ready to show which tells me everything is extremely early development wise. This points to a late 2020 release to me.

He also went into detail where Cerny specified the reason for talking about it now was to control the messaging from possible leaks with devkits going on.

He later surmised that they have an idea what MS is building and wanted to highlight aspects they share such that when MS reveals RT support or use of similar SSD tech it will have followed Sonys release of the information. Pretty much what we all guessed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

A big point he brought up that he didn't think was relevant enough to put in the article was the talk with Cerny about why they were skipping E3...

Basically they determined they didn't want to have a PS5 keynote with no console or games ready to show which tells me everything is extremely early development wise. This points to a late 2020 release to me.

He also went into detail where Cerny specified the reason for talking about it now was to control the messaging from possible leaks with devkits going on.

He later surmised that they have an idea what MS is building and wanted to highlight aspects they share such that when MS reveals RT support or use of similar SSD tech it will have followed Sonys release of the information. Pretty much what we all guessed.

Good stuff, thanks for the little summary. I will listen to it later.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Can probably crunch some numbers to get an estimate in terms of power with the image below, Navi10 because Gonzalo points to that.
It's a mid range card apparently so I wouldn't expect much to be "cut" from it to fit into the APU.
AMD-RX-3080.png
I'm cool with more powerful consoles, but let's take this image at face value and compare to Polaris 10 which was also supposed to be a 150W part and ended up higher. PS4 Pro had a variation on the Polaris 10 and because of the use of a blower fan and the small form factor they downclocked it from 1266MHz to 910MHz. Consoles have a TDP of ~150W, but the Pro typically test around ~155W load on 4k games.

AMD has more total package power usage, and any APU for consoles will be packing a ~3.2GHz 8c/16t CPU. My opinion is you'll see ~125W for the GPU unless you go the MS route with Hovis and vapor chamber cooler. This is why I expect between Vega 56 and Vega 64 in power for the next consoles.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
but let's take this image at face value
Potential specifications aside I welcome the idea of 4K assets minimum, it's painful to know that Muramasa is not a thing in native 4K.
Assuming that the bar will be raised and that will be the case, can potentially find UHD wallpapers and the likes instead of 720p or lower.
For the rest even with "fake" ray-tracing it's still a nice welcome and will add something to the immersion, SSD and Zen 2 tops it off for me.

It's interesting that you mention Hovis method as I was reading about it earlier how they can achieve a stronger console.
According to the article they wanted to use it for a while now and that they might use it in future consoles.

Last edited:

AMD-RX-3080.png
I love the price/perf ratio in this speculation. AMD would be exposing nvidia for their pricing if Navi10 is close to $250. Rtx 2070 is still ~$500.... pathetic gen from nvidia this.

Shin

Banned
I love the price/perf ratio in this speculation. AMD would be exposing nvidia for their pricing if Navi10 is close to $250. Rtx 2070 is still ~$500.... pathetic gen from nvidia this.
You might like the video below even more then and it's worth watching from beginning till end.
Not related but he does good work hence: https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/1089715760895852545

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Potential specifications aside I welcome the idea of 4K assets minimum, it's painful to know that Muramasa is not a thing in native 4K.
Assuming that the bar will be raised and that will be the case, can potentially find UHD wallpapers and the likes instead of 720p or lower.
For the rest even with "fake" ray-tracing it's still a nice welcome and will add something to the immersion, SSD and Zen 2 tops it off for me.
I'm a believer that the difference between a 12TF console and a 14TF console would be nothing. It's all e-peen stuff.

The CPU and huge pool of GDDR6 is what I'm excited about. SSDs(SSHD even), too, since that means more time playing/less time loading, and more immersion.

Things I'm excited about for "next-gen":
-Better crowd simulations with more NPCs and better pathfinding.
-Actual simulations(simple) for fire, water, smoke, sparks, particles, hair, etc and their interactions.
-Hyper-realistic gore simulation
-More 60fps!
-Dense cities with no artificial barriers
-Advanced AI that reads your actions and the other NPCs and reacts realistically and emotionally

I should be able to shoot a grenade launcher and destruct a chunk of concrete that falls on an enemy zombie's head and smashes his skull open. Then the blood pours down a drain into the sewer and a bunch of rats smell it and come out and lick it up and turn zombo and come after me later.

Last edited:

onQ123

I wonder what they meant by this?

For example, the next-gen console will still accept physical media; it won’t be a download-only machine. Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console.

if you think about it the CPU is 2X the clock at 3.2GHz & the GPU is 2X the clock of the PS4 GPU at 1.8GHz

add to that rumors of 880GB/s bandwidth RAM which is 5X the PS4 RAM it seem like PS5 is going to have one hell of a boost mode for PS4 games

Last edited:

sinnergy

Digital Foundry has a new video. Ballpark seems to be, clock 1,8 GHz , 8 TF - 11 TF, for PS5. Depending on CU count. Comments about being faster than stadia suggest 11, rather than 10 imo. In my opinion if we are lucky . Xbox maybe at 12 TF. Upper end would be 13,7 TF but that looks like wishful thinking. Getting those speeds would thermally be amazing in a small box, and Desktop GPU’s cost 700 dollars alone with those specs ... but one can hope.

Last edited:
These new consoles could create some issues for pc games,if consoles will have octa core cpu's,could create a problem for those with less,cause it will be optimized more for that,and we know that most of the time consoles were the main focus of development.

Fake

These new consoles could create some issues for pc games,if consoles will have octa core cpu's,could create a problem for those with less,cause it will be optimized more for that,and we know that most of the time consoles were the main focus of development.
To be fair this context apply for every old gen. Unless you're ignoring Moore's law being slow. Just low level API to save the day.

Digital Foundry has a new video. Ballpark seems to be, clock 1,8 GHz , 8 TF - 11 TF, for PS5. Depending on CU count. Comments about being faster than stadia suggest 11, rather than 10 imo. In my opinion if we are lucky . Xbox maybe at 12 TF. Upper end would be 13,7 TF but that looks like wishful thinking. Getting those speeds would thermally be amazing in a small box, and Desktop GPU’s cost 700 dollars alone with those specs ... but one can hope.

8Tflops?!? DF are clueless. So a huge node shrink to 7nm, and totally new gen of GPU and order of magnitude faster CPU equals 2 Tflops more than Xbox One X's 6Tflops.

That's hilarious.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
8Tflops?!? DF are clueless. So a huge node shrink to 7nm, and totally new gen of GPU and order of magnitude faster CPU equals 2 Tflops more than Xbox One X's 6Tflops.

That's hilarious.

From what I have read in a couple of places Its not really fair to compare say a 6 TF X to say an 8TF PS5 because with all the advantages you mentioned that alone is a huge jump.

I agree though I think 8TF is low I am expecting around 12ish TF.

From what I have read in a couple of places Its not really fair to compare say a 6 TF X to say an 8TF PS5 because with all the advantages you mentioned that alone is a huge jump.

I agree though I think 8TF is low I am expecting around 12ish TF.

8tflops is a joke 'estimate' and you can compare this figure as the One X is an older AMD APU like the PS5 will be. But yeah, I expect 12-14. Can you imagine if PS5 released towards end of next year and it was packing 8-9tflops. It would be a laughing stock to call such a machine 'high-end' .

ethomaz

Banned

It was crystal clear that E3 drop was related to a exclusive PS5 announce event.

And I totally believe the talk was about devkit leaks.

I wonder what they meant by this?

if you think about it the CPU is 2X the clock at 3.2GHz & the GPU is 2X the clock of the PS4 GPU at 1.8GHz

add to that rumors of 880GB/s bandwidth RAM which is 5X the PS4 RAM it seem like PS5 is going to have one hell of a BEAST mode for PS4 games
Fixed.

He's likely referring to GCN GPU and x86 CPU.

or....

PS5 is chiplets of PS4 Pros, which are butterflies of the PS4.
latest
Actually it's chiplets of PS4 Pro's duct taped together.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
PS4 refresh
  • sometime between september and november
  • fabbed on samsung 7nm EUV
  • best wafer pricing in the industry
  • die size 110mm²
  • no PRO refresh, financially not viable yet
  • too close to PS5 as well
PS5 memory and storage systems
  • 24 GB RAM in total (20 GB usable by games)
  • 8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2
  • Sony got "amazing" deal for HBM
  • in part due to them buying up bad chips from other customers which can't run higher then 1.6 Gbps while keeping 1.2v.
  • HBM is expected to scale down in price a lot more than GDDR6 over the console lifetime
  • Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix already shifting part of their capacity towards HBM due to falling NAND prices
  • Sony will be one of the first high volume customers of TSMCs InFO_MS when mass production starts later this year (normal InFo already used by Apple in their iPhone)
  • InFO_MS brings down the cost compared to traditional silicon interposers - has thermal and performance advantage as well
  • InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v
  • HBM is more power efficient compared to GDDR6 - the savings were invested into more GPU power
  • additional 16 GB in form of DDR4 @ 256 bit for 102.4 GB/sec.
  • 4 GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12 GB usable by games
  • memory automatically managed by HBCC and appears as 20 GB to the developers
  • HBCC manages streaming of game data from storage as well
  • developers can use the API to take control if they choose and manage the memory and storage streaming themselves
  • memory solution alleviates problems found in PS4
  • namely that CPU bandwidth reduces GPU bandwidth disproportionately
  • 2 stacks of HBM have 512 banks (more banks = fewer conflicts and higher utilization)
  • GDDR6 better than GDDR5 and GDDR5x in that regard but still less banks than HBM
  • at the same time trying to keep CPU memory access to slower DDR4
  • very satisfied with decision to use two kinds of memory for price to performance reasons
  • allowed them to go below ~50 GFLOPs per GB/sec. bandwidth but still keep above 40 GFLOPs per GB/sec.

Got it from Reeeee

Top Bottom