• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WIRED] Exclusive with Mark Cerny, PS5 specs detailed

Racer!

Not the case anymore. GTX760/660 plays doom and wolfenstein just as well if not better. The 2x more performance isnt a thing anymore, if it even ever was. Consoles are x86 and dx12 vulcan, w10 all improved greatly upon that.

14TF we dont know, even if it is that it will be whole lot less powerfull then what will be availeble by then, or even right now.
800gb/s is just a rumor aswell. What we do know is that 14TF @1tb/s 16gb hbm2 is availeble today.

Storage speed is a guess but looks like going to be fast yes, with zen3/pci 4.0 and navi20 coming i doubt there will be anything unseen on pc as MS will have its exclusives on both.

I think some are hyping up abit too much. We dont know anything about specs other then zen2 and navi lite, which we knew beforehand. 8k is a hdmi2.1 spec, RT is a given as it will have existed for over 2 years when ps5 sees the light. Then we dont even know if it will contain RT hw. Crytek showed some RT voxel demo on amd hw.

Also, cpu wont be clocked at the full 4/5ghz, probably same for gpu.

All you got was some buzzwords and some vague rumors, just wait till specs land.

With all due respect, you have no idea what youre talking about. When it comes to 2x performance, I`ll take John Carmacks word over yours. That said, you cant just take a piece of software and run it and expect it to run 2 times better. It have to be optimized for overall system performance. A lot of third party software is not optimized at all (or badly optimized), and thus wont run any better. Try Farming simulator on a PS4 Pro, runs like shit because its not optimized. The optimization is what gets you to 2x. Its why 1 party software always run and look better.

Of course all specs thus far are rumors. But with a 500/600$ machine (assuming Sony eats 50-100$) in 2020, those specs are possible. And it should produce some amazing results.

Shin

Banned
Any summary before watch?
It's more about AMD as a whole and the choices they had to make along the years (still watching ATM).
Gonzalo discovered in Januari points to Navi10 (2 months later than this article) so the quote below is correct about Navi12.
https://wccftech.com/exclusive-first-amd-navi-gpu-will-have-40-cus-and-is-codenamed-navi-12/
Try watching from 33 minutes of the video as that's when he gets into the Navi/PS5 creation question.

Now you might remember my old exclusive in which I revealed that we can’t expect a flagship GPU from AMD until 2020. I also talked about how Vega was designed specifically for Apple and Navi has been designed specifically for the Sony PS5 and the question that I immediately thought was whether this is the GPU that we can expect to see featured – the answer – nope. The Navi 12 is not going to be the GPU that gets featured in PS5, its a derivative of the actual Navi die and has been created specifically so AMD can get it to market for the PC audience primarily.

Last edited:

demigod

How did Gonzalo become PS5 again? I thought the very first rumor had Gonzalo as Xbox. I'm keeping my expectations low.

Navi10 is mid-range, just like RX480/580 was (what comes after Navi is supposedly more Vega like...whatever that means).
The CU count and "max" Teraflops above aren't related to Navi10, posted it in case people wanted to have an idea or to crunch.

Whatever happens, i just hope AMD has something to counter Nvidia, i mean NV's prices skyrocket. Some competition/lower priced parts from AMD will do good for all of us.
Navi would be their first to succeed.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Shin Shin

I don't follow the code names and early leaks for the consoles as much as the desktop equivalents. Is this the same ID string that listed Gonzalo as "Navi 10 Lite"? Does this mean that PS5 is not using Navi 20, and instead a "Lite" variant of the rumored Navi 10 RX 3080 150W "Vega 64 equivalent" GPU?

I have a feeling all the Navi 10 info is gonna spill at the beginning of May before Computex.

Shin

Banned
4Chan....take it with a grain of salt, but Cerny did say more dev-kits going out soon (perhaps that's what the poster is feeding off?)

e89aea87f3.png

Shin

Banned
Shin Shin

Is this the same ID string that listed Gonzalo as "Navi 10 Lite"?
Navi is split in so many versions that I lost count, Navi12 is the entry, Navi10 mid-range, Navi20 (next year?) is high-end, but there's Navi14 and 15 also IIRC.
Only Navi10 is relevant to Gonzalo, whether a lite version of that I don't remember you'd have to look up --> https://twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA

ZG16702AE8JB2_32/10/18_13F8
https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1107809675448246272 (first mention of the SoC I think?) https://i.imgur.com/3dUG1BK.jpg

Shin

Banned
No, high bandwidth has been popping up since the first OsirisBlack OsirisBlack leaks.
Make of the videos below what you will, he makes compelling arguments (I/O, memory, scalability).
It's not good to follow tech too closely, it will give you a freakin' headache /S, the Zen 2 video might be interesting also.
Wish it was E3 2020 already...

onQ123

Is it cause of the rumoured 16GB HBM2 memory, instead of 8GB?

When did the rumor go to to 16GB HBM2? I seen someone post 16GB but I thought it was just a typo & ignored it , was their another rumor?

the high bandwidth rumors been popping up since last year & seem to be common even when everything else is changing.

18GB is also showing up for like the 3rd time.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
When did the rumor go to to 16GB HBM2? I seem someone post 16GB but I thought it was just a typo & ignored it , was their another rumor?

the high bandwidth rumors been popping up since last year & seem to be common even when everything else is changing.

18GB is also showing up for like the 3rd time.
Shin put it in one of his posts. He even said ‘rumour’ before it.

I’m so fucking confused now.

There are no specs released yet. Its just like with the PS4, Sony said about the same things about the PS4 as they did a week ago about PS5.
Only rumors and fantasy from fanboys so far. Theres someone from MS or was with MS, that thinks PS5 will be 8TF. All sony fans attacking him for saying something dangerous like that.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
OsirisBlack was saying 18GB GDDR5 and 2.1GHz core clock. He mentioned to me almost 2 weeks ago the numbers have been changed since then, but disclosing them could compromise his source.
Navi is split in so many versions that I lost count, Navi12 is the entry, Navi10 mid-range, Navi20 (next year?) is high-end, but there's Navi14 and 15 also IIRC.
Only Navi10 is relevant to Gonzalo, whether a lite version of that I don't remember you'd have to look up --> https://twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA

ZG16702AE8JB2_32/10/18_13F8
https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1107809675448246272 (first mention of the SoC I think?) https://i.imgur.com/3dUG1BK.jpg

Yes, that was the image I was thinking of with the "Navi 10 Lite" designation.
4cf4dc0b-a3c7-4330-b134-288fd0d200f0_resized_700x430.jpg
This is the rumored Navi lineup...
LhqKmZ6.jpg
Navi 10 is occupying the same price point and TDP Polaris 10/RX 480 did at 150W/$250. If any of these rumors pan out, PS5's GPU could be 48CUs/1.8GHz or 44CUs/1.8Ghz and around 125-135W power consumption. We'll find out soon enough.

ethomaz

Banned
4Chan....take it with a grain of salt, but Cerny did say more dev-kits going out soon (perhaps that's what the poster is feeding off?)

e89aea87f3.png
I will be honest it is the first "leak" that I can believe in.

Zen2 8C @ ???Mhz
18GB for games / 6GB for OS GDDR6 15200Mhz 384bits @ 733GB/s
Navi 13.3-15.2TFs 56-64CUs @ 1850Mhz

It fits.

BTW ERA has some weird guys that things a GDDR6 16Gbps (16000Mhz) can run only at 16000Mhz... in fact the GDDR5 in PS4 runs below the specification for better cooling/power draw too.... so 15200Mhz feels right.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
OsirisBlack was saying 18GB GDDR5 and 2.1GHz core clock. He mentioned to me almost 2 weeks ago the numbers have been changed since then, but disclosing them could compromise his source.

I took the 2.1 as HDMI 2.1, which give or take kinda sounds credible now since Cerny mentioned 8K.
The other Navi (14, 15) and whatever else came from Kosaka / Twitter, not sure where he got it from (not that it's important).

Why the F would there be 18GB for the GPU instead of 16GB? Does it even make sense?

Fake edit: I just saw above, 12 for GPU + 6 for OS. Hmmmm

Real edit: but it says 64GB RAM total? This all doesn't make sense to me :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

demigod

There are no specs released yet. Its just like with the PS4, Sony said about the same things about the PS4 as they did a week ago about PS5.
Only rumors and fantasy from fanboys so far. Theres someone from MS or was with MS, that thinks PS5 will be 8TF. All sony fans attacking him for saying something dangerous like that.

You apparently don't know him.

8TF seems realistic, expect less dont be dissapointed later.

I'll bet you a PS5 that its going to be higher than 8TF since you keep flaunting this number like an xbox fanboy.

onQ123

16TF is probably more realistic than 8TF.

I wouldn't say that because a really smart thing Sony could have done is used the same 36 CUs as PS4 Pro but at 7nm & clocked 2X as high giving you 8TF of GPU power while leaving a lot of room for accelerators & on die cache.

The GPU will be enough to take 1080P PS4 games to 4K plus the the advancements from the newer specs & higher bandwidth.

bitbydeath

I wouldn't say that because a really smart thing Sony could have done is used the same 36 CUs as PS4 Pro but at 7nm & clocked 2X as high giving you 8TF of GPU power while leaving a lot of room for accelerators & on die cache.

The GPU will be enough to take 1080P PS4 games to 4K plus the the advancements from the newer specs & higher bandwidth.

But it’s not realistic.

ethomaz

Banned
Why the F would there be 18GB for the GPU instead of 16GB? Does it even make sense?

Fake edit: I just saw above, 12 for GPU + 6 for OS. Hmmmm

Real edit: but it says 64GB RAM total? This all doesn't make sense to me :messenger_dizzy:
It probably 18GB only for games because it is a Devkit

So I suppose it is 24GB total... 18GB games + 6GB system.

It feels like every single time AMD has a new GPU on the horizon it's a NEW architecture that's NOT GCN.

But then as release nears we hear that actually, yeah, it's GCN but this is THE LAST GCN and the NEXT one will definitely be a new architecture.

But I feel like we've done this cycle 3 or 4 times already.
True, lol

onQ123

So I took a wild guess that 18432MB would be a perfect multiple of 18 / 36 / 72 / 256 / 512 & so on

So if the GPU RAM dump is real we are looking at a GPU with either 36 CUs matched up to 512MB each or 72 CUs matched up to 256MB each

18432 is also a perfect match for PS4 GPU megaFLOPS 1.8432

look like they are trying to get perfect BC with enhancements like going from 1080P to 4K or from 30fps to 60fps or 120fps

Last edited:
Top Bottom