• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIRED: Mark Cerny - The American Who Designed the PlayStation 4 and Remade SONY

Mung

The biggest problem with Sony back then was Ken Kutaragi.

He had become a problem by then. But without him, Playstation would never have existed, let alone come out of nowhere to dominate the gaming industry on the first attempt. He is perhaps fairly criticized here, but his impact should be acknowledged IMO.

tubbanderasq6kyn.gif

LOL!

Banderas AND a tub?

nailed it!

Calling him American kind of understresses his more intnernational metropolitan and in general "not really that american-ness."

I personally find it silly to call someone a this or that depending upon where they grew up.

I am probably being overly picky though.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
In Cerny we trust. I wish my shelves looked like that, mine are all old or disjointed at this point, I need an IKEA visit think.

It's really great to see and experience this rebirth of the gaming side of Sony though, it seems like a mostly different company than the one we had back in 2006, they seem to have a really great team of people who all know how to work together brilliantly and get the right stuff done.

That sounds really familiar, and yet I can't quite put my finger on why...

Indeed, a certain other company at the moment has become highly reactionary to the point where most of what they do is a reaction to what others are already doing instead of following a clean plan or vision of their own and learning from past mistakes.

I like how there are GameCube, Wii, and Wii U games on the shelf.

I think it is something a lot of gamers who follow just one of the many sides of a "console war" forget, the people who make the games they love and systems they blindly support play games across pretty much every platform out there.

Gamers at the end of the day play games, the platform shouldn't matter, and it is a shame so many forget that.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
2013 Microsoft = 2006 Sony lol

Sony/Cerny/Co. seem to be absolutely nailing things with the PS4. It's already looking like it will be one of the better consoles of all time, but as someone said, it's got an early shot to be #1 potentially. To even be in that position is no easy feat.

Skeff

The biggest problem with Sony back then was Ken Kutaragi.

Ken Kutaragi reminds me of those crazy grandparents you see on sitcoms that are crazy and usually end up stripping on top of the dining table, but the whole family loves them anyway.

Same with Ken, we love him, but he's definitely krazy ken for a reason.

Dyno

Most guys who impress me are guys I want to have a few beers with at the local.

With Cerny I want us both to slip into a bubbly hot tub while we whispers game stuff to me over large goblets of wine.

NekoFever

Being able to look at a beautiful library of games on a shelf like that is why I don't want to go digital... yet.

Robbok

perfect.

Kaz, Tretton and the three Musketeers are very likable persons. And Adam Boyes seems to me more as a passionate gamer than a company executive. I feel like being in good Hands by chosing PS4 as my (first) next gen console.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty cool article, but those comments, wow! I thought wired might be a little better, but...I guess not.

And as Mark Cerny steps upon Mount Olympus, he thinks to himself: "I must appoint an avatar for my dealings on the mountain are too time consuming to deal with Earth and its petty internet bickering."

"I shall make a being in my image and he alone shall carry out my will"

"I will call him ..."

Crash-Bandicoot.jpg

"CRASH BANDICOOT!!!"

Musolf815

Whoa, Cerny has WWE games!

Also, great article! I really hope PS4 can have a PS2 level library, it looks like they're off to a good start hardware wise.

BadWolf

That six axis story is pretty nuts, finding out about a new feature and having to make a game for it in a few weeks.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That six axis story is pretty nuts, finding out about a new feature and having to make a game for it in a few weeks.

Also funny because at the time Sony said they'd been working on it for ages and it definitely wasn't a reaction to the Wii.

I think it is something a lot of gamers who follow just one of the many sides of a "console war" forget, the people who make the games they love and systems they blindly support play games across pretty much every platform out there.

Gamers at the end of the day play games, the platform shouldn't matter, and it is a shame so many forget that.

Plus, as a game designer himself it makes sense he plays games on other consoles - to check out the competition, get ideas, and so on.

Also funny because at the time Sony said they'd been working on it for ages and it definitely wasn't a reaction to the Wii.

"We see rumble as a last-gen feature."

God, Sony circa 2006 were so bad; their whole PR angle was just awful. Again, it's remarkable how similar the whole Xbone mess has been up until now. I even remember Insomniac going out of their way to claim that Blu-ray was absolutely necessary because they'd filled up something like 19GB of space on the disc with Resistance: Fall of Ham.

killatopak

Gold Member
But Sony needed someone who could serve as a voice for the game makers and game players of the world.

They certainly made the right choice.

All the money I would give for a voiced Cerny storybook collection.

Top Bottom